PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 3

Big D
07-06-2006, 06:28 AM
This game's currently going cheap at my local EB, and I'm giving it some thought. Anybody got recommendations or criticisms? I'm a fan of the Tekken series, and I've played a demo of SC2, so I've got some idea of what the title offers, but a few questions as well.
Is SC3 accessible enough to be an "entry level" game for someone new to the series? I mean, in terms of gameplay and plot, would I be missing out on some integral knowledge by not having played the game's predecessors? Does it have plenty of longevity and replay value, both as a single-player and two-player game?
And lastly, but not leastly, the techniques used by the game's fighters. Based on real combat systems, or arbitrary creations inspired only by the look of traditional weapons? This is mainly a question for those who practise a blade-based martial art in real life. My only experience with Soul Calibur is from the demo version of SC2, playing as Cassandra or Nightmare against Raphael, Voldo and that large demon dude whose name escapes me. Cassandra's sword-and-buckler style has very loose, broad similarities to the real thing, but lacked the intricacies of the real combat systems - binds, shield knocks, stab knocks, and so forth. Forgivable, I think, given how hard that'd be to recreate in a game. But still, given that my experience is largely confined to medieval and renaissance European swordsmanship, it'd be nice to hear other fighters' opinions on SC3's combat...

Cheers for your thoughts!

Roto13
07-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Soul Calibur III is pretty good. It's very easy to pick up, so don't worry at all about that. If you're worried about the story, I wrote this for just such a situation.

http://soulcalibur3.us/soulcalibur3/guides/soul_calibur_ii_story.txt

There's plenty of unlockable stuff in there, and the character creation system is fun enough to add a layer of depth.

This game is a lot better as a multiplayer game, though. That's where the mind games come into play. >:3

KentaRawr!
07-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Is SC3 accessible enough to be an "entry level" game for someone new to the series? I mean, in terms of gameplay and plot, would I be missing out on some integral knowledge by not having played the game's predecessors? Does it have plenty of longevity and replay value, both as a single-player and two-player game?
And lastly, but not leastly, the techniques used by the game's fighters. Based on real combat systems, or arbitrary creations inspired only by the look of traditional weapons? This is mainly a question for those who practise a blade-based martial art in real life. My only experience with Soul Calibur is from the demo version of SC2, playing as Cassandra or Nightmare against Raphael, Voldo and that large demon dude whose name escapes me. Cassandra's sword-and-buckler style has very loose, broad similarities to the real thing, but lacked the intricacies of the real combat systems - binds, shield knocks, stab knocks, and so forth. Forgivable, I think, given how hard that'd be to recreate in a game. But still, given that my experience is largely confined to medieval and renaissance European swordsmanship, it'd be nice to hear other fighters' opinions on SC3's combat...

Personally, I think that if you're new to the series, Soul Calibur 2 is the best game to start with. The Main Mode of the Soul Calibur 3 does NOT allow you to change the difficulty, and even though I find it to be extremely easy, some people have complained over it's challenge. And just going into the no-reward Quick Battle mode would be no fun, as you don't unlock any cool stuff. The game does however have great replay value. Finding new ways to go about the Main Mode of the game is just so much fun. Each way will almost always have different things to unlock. :D Plus there's Character Creation, or an even better description, "Dress up Barbie". :tongue: It sucks in the beginning, but as you play, you unlock new pieces of clothing for your little guy to wear. But then there's the bad part. ... >_> <_<...

The mode where you unlock these new pieces of clothing is absolutely ATROCIOUS. It's boring, it sucks, and... it sucks. It's a total waste of time. Don't bother with it. It's terrible. Don't go in it. It will drive you insane. Don't go in it! :nonono:

There's also a bunch of cool mini-games you can do. Like catching the shop-keepers, or smashing an enemy against the wall to do damage, rather than just pummel them the regular way. :mog:

If you're used to SC2, then you'll be very dissapointed to know that almost every character has been changed so much that they could have been brand new fighters. :mad: Curses. Luckily though, Kilik wasn't changed much. :cool: w00t.

NeoCracker
07-06-2006, 07:12 AM
I enjoyed three very much. Voldo still rocks, and Kilik is still awsome. I'd pick up the game if I were you. I prefer it to tekken, though both are quite fun.

=Angelus=
07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
I only just played it in the arcade.. but i just realised how much a noob i am at it now =X

Talim had an eXtreme makeover!! in terms of movements and attacks at least.. and with my skill level, its impossible to get pass lvl 4 in the arcade with just universal moves (AA, Guard impact, Guard.. Throw etc)..

but still, i'd recommend getting the game xD i'm gonna see if i can get my fren to invite me to his place to try the whole thing one day ;)

Ryushikaze
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Buy it. It's kick ass. I've used it to teach people how to play fighting games, so yes, It's a very good entry level game.

DK
07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
I've been after a copy, too, but my game store has run out, which is fail. Soul Blade will always be my favourite and the best 'Soul' game, though.

Mo-Nercy
07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
SC allows a lot more room for error than Tekken. Jabbing plays a smaller role as does combo-ing.

In Tekken, you would ideally force the opponent to whiff thus creating counter hit opportunities or launching windows so that you'd be able to juggle.

But in Soul Calibur, you just have to worry about single hits. Hi-low strings and simple mini-counters are more vital to general gameplay than massive combos. Though arguably, the SC3 engine has been changed somewhat to make the game more Tekken-y. There's a new very easy to do half-lifebar juggle with Cassandra.

It an easier game but much more fun. I think that element of unbelievability is what makes it so great. Tekken tries to give us real martial arts which is great but I'd much rather have Astaroth twist my opponent's spine around the base of his axe before proceeding to slam his fire-embued fist into his face.

DK
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Tekken tries to give us real martial arts which is great but I'd much rather have Astaroth twist my opponent's spine around the base of his axe before proceeding to slam his fire-embued fist into his face.

That's exactly the reason why I love Tekken so much and it is my favourite fighting game series out. :p

Roto13
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I believe the save bug has been removed from later copies of the game.

DK
07-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Wut save bug? :confused:

Mo-Nercy
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
That's exactly the reason why I love Tekken so much and it is my favourite fighting game series out. :p
Do you cry out "ONG BAK!" whenever Bruce knees something as well? :D

DK
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Sometimes, yes. xD

Dreddz
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I lost intrest in the Soul Caliber series after the third, it was average in my opinion. Opt for VF4 instead...

Roto13
07-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Some people were complaining that it was corrupting their save file, but I've never had the problem. I bought mine at launch.

Mo-Nercy
07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Apparently, it would corrupt if you tried to resume your saved progress in Chronicles of the Sword mode or something.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I've played it a bit at my cousin's house (and I always get owned by him, because I suck at it). I really need to get into the game a bit more before I can say anything.

I Took the Red Pill
07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
If you're going to get one, go for SC3, even though in my opinion it wasn't much of an improvement over 2 at all.

4evarisha
07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
i like soul caliber 3.
1)Setasuka
2)Kilik
3)Taki

Alixsar
07-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Some people were complaining that it was corrupting their save file, but I've never had the problem. I bought mine at launch.

It deleted my save and a friend of mine's save too. We both got it at launch.

But yeah, SCIII is an outstanding game and an incredible improvement over SCII. You might not realize it at first, but play SCIII for a month or so and then try to go back. Ouch.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
It deleted my save and a friend of mine's save too. We both got it at launch.

But yeah, SCIII is an outstanding game and an incredible improvement over SCII. You might not realize it at first, but play SCIII for a month or so and then try to go back. Ouch.

Ouch indeed. I played SC2 for like... ever after I tried going back to it. Ouch for SC3! :-O

NeoCracker
07-07-2006, 02:29 AM
SC2 seems choppy compared to the third. 3 ran much smoother for me.

Mo-Nercy
07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
SC2 had SC2 Ivy and Talim. SC3 has SC3 Ivy and Talim :(

If you ask me, all the extra modes are very gimmicky. The only new mode I play in SC3 is the World Tournament one which isn't much different from traditional arcade mode.

I'd rather play SC2 because I can at least use all the characters whereas in SC3, I'm restricted to only about 3-4.

ljkkjlcm9
07-07-2006, 03:03 AM
SCIII is an improvement over SCII for the PS2, but SCII for the Gamecube runs perfectly and beautifully and is the best SC game for any system. It even sold the most so what's that tell you?

THE JACKEL

4evarisha
07-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Soul Caliber 3 is a very fun game to play.

Old Manus
07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I played a demo and got owned very quickly :(

JKTrix
07-07-2006, 04:18 PM
SC3 going cheap? Instant buy. Any fighting game is better with friends, of course.
As for story bits, missing the last few games might dull the significance of things like Siegfried and Nightmare being 2 different characters, but there are things on the internet you can read. Roto has the best one.
The gameplay is easy enough for a newcomer to play fairly effectively, and technical enough for more serious folks.
Get it, especially now that it's cheap.

Big D
07-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Ah, thanks to all for your thoughts. Next time I'm feeling rich, I might well pick up a copy of SC3 if it's still at the same discounted price. Game evenings are reasonably common at my place, so some more multiplayer malarkey can only be a good thing:)

=Angelus=
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
i miss talim's BBK, 6K6K6K6K6K....

i just did it again on SC2 at the arcade.. and it brought back memories xD

i don't remember being this good at Soulcalibur for a looOong time.. but then again, i don't remember using talim so evasively too :tongue:

Mirage
09-11-2006, 02:58 PM
SCIII is an improvement over SCII for the PS2, but SCII for the Gamecube runs perfectly and beautifully and is the best SC game for any system. It even sold the most so what's that tell you?

THE JACKAL

Because it had Link. And we all know every Zelda fan out there will buy anything that even looks remotely like Link.

Marluxiaswife
09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
i think soul cailbur is a good fighting game, but gets me mad sometimes
:irked:

Mirage
09-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Because you lose? :p

No.78
09-11-2006, 04:57 PM

THE JACKAL

Because it had Link. And we all know every Zelda fan out there will buy anything that even looks remotely like Link.

I'm pretty sure if they didnt have Link people wouldn't be all "omg I want SC3 on the Gamecube!" etc

Madame Adequate
09-11-2006, 05:12 PM
The save bug occurs, according to a friend of mine, if you save anything to the memory card the SCIII save is on. It only corrupts Chronicles of the Sword data, but you have to start again. And yes, it's happened to me, and I got the game at launch.

How the hell they missed that one, I couldn't tell you.

Edit: Soul Calibur remains the best fighting series out there. Buy it.

Roto13
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
The save bug occurs, according to a friend of mine, if you save anything to the memory card the SCIII save is on. It only corrupts Chronicles of the Sword data, but you have to start again. And yes, it's happened to me, and I got the game at launch.

How the hell they missed that one, I couldn't tell you.

Edit: Soul Calibur remains the best fighting series out there. Buy it.

Your edit speaks true.

As for the save bug, anyone buying the game now will likely be buying the latest version, which doesn't have that bug. I read... somewhere that Namco is trading fixed versions of the game for bugged ones. It wasn't the most reliable source, though.

Dreddz
09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Soul Caliber is far from the best fighting series out there.....

KentaRawr!
09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
This thread is from a while ago. It has risen from it's grave!

And SC3 instantly phails for one reason and one reason alone. Lizardman's classic throw now has to be done from the side. :mad2:

Markus. D
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM

THE JACKAL

except the Zelda movie apparently.

Mirage
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
The exception that confirms the rule :]

The Unknown Guru
09-15-2006, 04:38 AM
This. Game. Rules. Get. It. Now.

Like roto said, it is best in multiplayer, especially if you are the same skill level as the people you play against (its boring shredding your newbie friend). Lots of replay value, and incredible depth.

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 04:46 AM
I love SC3. It's actually the first game of the series I played. The characters are cool, the battle system is well done, and creating characters for the campaign mode is FANTASTIC!

Seong Mi-na WINS.

No.78
09-15-2006, 10:03 AM
lol, they totally screwed her name up. Seung Mina.....=.... SEONG MI-NA!!!!

Silly namco

Roto13
09-15-2006, 02:05 PM
They've changed her name, like, twice. :P

ljkkjlcm9
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty sure if they didnt have Link people wouldn't be all "omg I want SC3 on the Gamecube!" etc

I just remember when this game was announced that they said "We expanded our audience by making it multi-platform, so we're adding character creation to try and expand more, but we're going with one platform." Even without Link I think SC2 was better on GC, I just liked the controller setup better for it. Plus even back on dreamcast I loved SC and thought it had the potential to be one of the best fighting games.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
09-15-2006, 02:26 PM
As for 'Seong Mi-na' and 'Hong Yun-seong', that's how Koreans romanize (put into 'english' letters) their names.

The GC version of SC2 actually sold more than the PS2 and Xbox versions, despite GC being the '3rd place system'. Namco went the safe route with putting SC3 as the PS2 exclusive though--without Link, it's doubtful that as many people would have bought the game. The PS2 has the largest install base, so that's where the game is.