PDA

View Full Version : was X-2 a dissapointment?

Psydekick
07-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Think back to when X-2 was announced i was incredibly excited and thought that it would out-play X but when i got the game i was strangely dissapointed as was like a game based at 8 year olds.

Topic: Before X-2 came out were you expecting it to be better than it is?

LunarWeaver
07-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I didn't think it would be like it is when they first announced it...but I'm fairly open to anything tossed at me, so I don't mind it. I also bought it long after it came out so I wasn't shocked or anything. I wish it wasn't quite the polar opposite of X...I guess in certain respects I'm disappointed. But I'm not horrified by it like many. It's more like an expansion pack, but I only paid 20 bucks for it so meh.

vorpal blade
07-06-2006, 10:07 AM
It was a big disappointment. It had some good things in it (specifically the job/ability/battle systems) but for the most part it wasn't that good. I was quite disappointed.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-06-2006, 10:34 AM
One of the most entertaining games in the series. I'm actually quite glad they didn't attempt to rehash FFX's plot and demeanor and instead went with something more up beat. Apart from being slightly too easy and being forced to play a few less-than-cool minigames, I can't think of a single aspect of FFX-2 that I didn't like.

Sefie1999AD
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I think FFX-2 was better than what I had expected. I didn't like FFX and I thought FFX-2 would be an even worse cashing sequel, but I decided to give it a try anyway, and I ended up liking it more than FFX. The main story isn't too developed, but there's plenty of good substories, I liked about all of the characters, the game is fun to play, Spira is a nice world to explore and the battle system with fast-paced ATB battles and the job/ability system was enjoyable to me. :)

Setzer Gabianni
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I love playing it. Oh I enjoyed it, but was disappointed at only using 3 main playable characters. Dressphere system was superb, I loved the battle system a 100 times more then X's. It was not a disappointment - it's in my top 5 list!

~Setzer Gabianni

kissgirls
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I really enjoy play final fantasy x-2 more than final fantasy x it was too hard and tidus boarded me :rolleyes2
they should at lest let the girls have fun and make one final fantasy as girls as the main characters.

Tavrobel
07-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Immensely disappointing. Way too many problems with it, and it destroys any impact that FFX might have had.

Old Manus
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Tavrobel knows the score x100.

Christmas
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
THE GAME IS FABULOUS.

DeathKnight
07-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Cheers! to all Final Fantasy X / Final Fantasy X-2 fans, you all make the world a better place.

There are WAY TOO MANY people who don't understand that FFX-2 doesn't stand alone, FFX/FFX-2 go TOGETHER, this was a not a FF SEPERATED from the series, it's a CONTINUATION of X. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

I embraced FFX-2 and in NO WAY was I dissapointed. It had more dialogue, it felt more upbeat which made you feel that everything the party did in X was worth it (bringing the calm to Spira).

And it was good to see that Yuna changed 'cause that's what Tidus wanted. He wanted her to smile more and enjoy her days, and to break free from the Yevon traditions (remember?).

And I like the fact the Rikku was all over your face in X-2 'cause in X she came in a little late in the game......so we really didn't get much of her.

And last but not least, it showed how much Yuna would do to see Tidus again...just to see him again, it was her journey and she accomplished what she wanted.

Venom
07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
X-2 was kinda a let down to me, but since it used a different method of gameplay I guess I cant complain.:)

DeathKnight
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN's Review:

Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
The Charlie Angels-inspired motif and sphere hunter story may not be as epic as its predecessor, but it still has the top-notch production value that Square Enix is famous for.
9.6 Graphics
Hindered by just a smidgen of slowdown, FFX-2 is one of the best-looking games on any console. Facial animations have improved and the level of detail is amazing. The standard for all future RPGs.
8.6 Sound
The clarity of the music and sound effects are unrivaled among PS2 RPGs with returning voice actors better than they were the first time. The soundtrack isn't anywhere near as strong as X, though.
9.7 Gameplay
Even though the challenge level never exceeds that of an intermediate player, the job-switching system and absolute wealth of mini-games makes FFX-2 one of the most playable RPGs around.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Five different endings, multiple story branches, an open-ended mission structure, 60-80 hours worth of gameplay, and the chance to go back and experience it again with New Game Plus makes it awesome.
Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Source: IGN.COM

~SapphireStar~
07-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I wasnt expecting it to be too great as there werent a whole new cast of characters and a new world. It was basically FFX with a few little tweaks, so I wasnt expecting it to be amazing, but I prefer it to FFX.

Setzer Gabianni
07-06-2006, 05:32 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN's Review:

Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
The Charlie Angels-inspired motif and sphere hunter story may not be as epic as its predecessor, but it still has the top-notch production value that Square Enix is famous for.
9.6 Graphics
Hindered by just a smidgen of slowdown, FFX-2 is one of the best-looking games on any console. Facial animations have improved and the level of detail is amazing. The standard for all future RPGs.
8.6 Sound
The clarity of the music and sound effects are unrivaled among PS2 RPGs with returning voice actors better than they were the first time. The soundtrack isn't anywhere near as strong as X, though.
9.7 Gameplay
Even though the challenge level never exceeds that of an intermediate player, the job-switching system and absolute wealth of mini-games makes FFX-2 one of the most playable RPGs around.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Five different endings, multiple story branches, an open-ended mission structure, 60-80 hours worth of gameplay, and the chance to go back and experience it again with New Game Plus makes it awesome.
Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Source: IGN.COM

Reviews aren't fact - maybe I should consider this when it comes to DoC *thinks* nah xD

~Setzer Gabianni

Dell
07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
X - Terrible dissapointment
X-2 - Good, cover up some X big mistake, still that slut factors...

Setzer Gabianni
07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
..What is it with you and the slut factor? xD Don't mention it in here again or I'm sure DK will have something to say..

~Setzer Gabianni

feona17
07-06-2006, 09:22 PM
I really enjoyed it.. but since I am a kid at heart (I would think most of us are) I was amused by it. I liked the battles, how fast-paced it was, but yes the only thing was the 3 playable character thing. And of course, the only part that pissed me off in X-2 was the little powwow yuna rikku and paine had, and they acted like valley girls. ... otherwise, i loved it.

SeeDRankLou
07-06-2006, 09:27 PM
I was immensely pleased with this game. It had a lot of good points, it was fun, much better battle system, had some much needed lightheartedness, and made the impact FFX left on me all the more great.

Leen-Leen
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I was a little dissapointed. Personally I thought FFX was better then FFX-2 in some ways , but I still enjoyed the game.

Devil Shroom
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Well this being the first FF game I've ever played (and only one as yet) I enjoyed it incredibly.
There were parts that annoyed me yes like perhaps one or two bosses could have posed as greater threats, fighting with more characters would have been fun, lack of FMVs and of course sometimes the irritating dorky lines but all that aside I really did have fun playing it. In conclusion I'll be buying more FF games :D.

feona17
07-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Well this being the first FF game I've ever played (and only one as yet) I enjoyed it incredibly.
There were parts that annoyed me yes like perhaps one or two bosses could have posed as greater threats, fighting with more characters would have been fun, lack of FMVs and of course sometimes the irritating dorky lines but all that aside I really did have fun playing it. In conclusion I'll be buying more FF games :D.

It was my first FF game too!! *high fives* It's true, it was so enjoyable.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-06-2006, 11:51 PM
I liked it alot at first. After playing it through 3 times, I got really tired of it. The story really got old after the 3rd play. When I played it the 4th time, I was so tired of it I stopped in the middle. I hate it now. But thats just my take of it. :)

Zeromus_X
07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
It was very fun, though the story doesn't pick up until much later...the Dresspheres were neat.

The atmosphere, however....meh. And it really ruined X's story. :/

If you can ignore that, then it isn't that bad a game.

Tavrobel
07-07-2006, 12:05 AM
There are WAY TOO MANY people who don't understand that FFX-2 doesn't stand alone, FFX/FFX-2 go TOGETHER, this was a not a FF SEPERATED from the series, it's a CONTINUATION of X. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

I would consider them as FF games that go together, but I don't, lest the poison that taints FFX-2 spill over onto FFX.

FFX is teh winnar.
FFX-2 fails at life.

I liked it alot at first. After playing it through 3 times, I got really tired of it. The story really got old after the 3rd play. When I played it the 4th time, I was so tired of it I stopped in the middle. I hate it now. But thats just my take of it.

That's why you don't play a game four times beginning to end in a row.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-07-2006, 12:07 AM

I would consider them as FF games that go together, but I don't, lest the poison that taints FFX-2 spill over onto FFX.

FFX is teh winnar.
FFX-2 fails at life.

I liked it alot at first. After playing it through 3 times, I got really tired of it. The story really got old after the 3rd play. When I played it the 4th time, I was so tired of it I stopped in the middle. I hate it now. But thats just my take of it.

That's why you don't play a game four times beginning to end in a row.

Yeah, your right. But I didnt play it in a row. I played it with different games in between. :)

Slade
07-07-2006, 02:11 AM
I have mixed feelings when it comes to X-2. I was dissapointed in the environments. When I say environments, I'm talking about the so called 'new' places in Spira. A couple of caves and afew more temples.

Also, the fact that none of the towns had really been changed. Kilika was the only town that had been changed which I found very odd......two years since the death of Sin you'd think that Spira and its technology would have flourished and EVERY town would have been upgraded and different. But no.....lazy bums :mad:
Before the game came out I had heard that the Calm Lands were a theme park....I was quite excited about that. But what did it turn out to be? Exactly the same with a bunch of people scattered here and there offering mini-games :mad:

But apart from that, I had no other beefs with the game. I found it fun, especially when I decided to go for 100%. The Gunners Gaunlet was easily the best mini-game on X-2 :D

kain_ex
07-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, this is the first PS2 FF I've played (for PSX I was in FFVII, but I didn't finished it because it was borrowed, and FFIX..kalisto..but I did it), so I can't compare in any matters with FFX, but many people said to me that compared to FFX, FFX-2 is a piece of junk, and I think that if that's true, FFX would have to be the best game ever. I've really enjoyed the battle system, side quests, characters, enemies and musics/sound. Fact is, I think the story was a little stupid, but the game fun was simply superb, although the game was way too easy, except if you take Via Infinito. And if you conquer it you simply can't die unless you attack yourself or let the girls fighting while you go sleep.

So, I enjoyed the game but I want to play FFX too, but I can't find it nowhere now... too bad :mad:

TiDUS.AHOLiC
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't know! Never played it before though. But does anyone want to tell me if it's good or not? Thanks in advance!!!

4evarisha
07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Is it boring yes or no???

Zeromus_X
07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Uh, you'll have to find that out by yourself by playing it.

TiDUS.AHOLiC
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Uh, you'll have to find that out by yourself by playing it.

Okay. lol. It's going to make me like a spoiler eh? lol. Oh wells! :)

~SapphireStar~
07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Is it boring yes or no???
Play it and see for yourself. Others may think its boring, yet you may enjoy it.

Hearts
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes, I was very disappointed to how FFX-2 came out. I thought it was going to be my new favorite game, and that it was going to be a little challenging and have the same sad story FFX did. It's just got really girlyish, easy, and quick.

And I get kinda weirded out at the beginning when they did that Charlie's Angels like YRP thing. o.0'

But it was still fun. lol.