PDA

View Full Version : The southern hemisphere continues to blow my mind.

Maxico
07-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Question of the century.

How do people in the southern hemisphere deal with summer holidays?
Do you people have some kind of crazy, backwards winter holiday? Or do you have a summer holiday in december?

But that would mean that either
A. Your holidays coincide with cold and snowing. or
B. You're holidays clash with the christmas holidays.
In which case, do they cancle each other out or form some kind of malformed super holiday?

I need answers people!
*Braces for extreme culture shock!*

Meat Puppet
07-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Summer holiday in December. Or the end of November.

Maxico
07-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Oh, that was a little anti-climatic.

Oh well.

Mitch
07-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Summer holidays have christmas in them, usually around the middle.

it also makes new years freakin sweet

and winter hoidays are still there

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 01:43 AM

Great pun!

feona17
07-07-2006, 02:17 AM

Great pun!

Hahah it was, I laughed out loud at that.

Yeah, I remember spending my winter break in Jamaica, and I was sad not having "white christmas". But it would be cool to have summer like right after january, 'cause after that you get tired of it. (At least in Canada.. winter is so goshdarn long..)

Mo-Nercy
07-07-2006, 02:46 AM
Summer = Christmas. It's awesome. We always go down to the beach. To me, the winter holidays just feels like a little break. Nothing to do really. I don't really go for all that wintery snow stuff and making the trip to somewhere in Australia where there IS snow is often expensive and too damn long.

Agent Proto
07-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I can't imagine ever living down under, where it's summer during christmas and winter durig the middle of the year. That's too confusing. xD

Dixie
07-07-2006, 03:41 AM
It seems rather confuzzling...I'd probably wake up one December morning and ask "Where's the snow?"

Reine
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Well, the concept of summer in the middle of the year, and winter during christmas seems funny to us =]

Rusty
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM

I think it's awesome. We have Christmas in summer! That means instead of snow, we spend it at the pool or beach, having BBQ's and fighting for the best spot under the Air con on Christmas day.

Do you people have some kind of crazy, backwards winter holiday? Or do you have a summer holiday in december?

Well, school holidays go start about December 8th-17th for primary and highschool and finish end of January or early Febuary.

We only have a short break in winter. To us in Australia - winter does not equal snow 99.99% of the time xD It's just storms and rain.

Loony BoB
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
You have not lived until you've had Christmas on a hot summer day. Winter Christmas has nothing on Summer Christmas, seriously. The barbeque, the pools, the fun... it's just so much better. Snow is cool and all, but seriously, it's much more fun when you can go in and outdoors with a whole lot of people around on a nice Christmas day. Wonderful. It's just the whole atmosphere, it's much more relaxed and there's a much more free feeling than there is in the Northern Hemisphere.

EDIT: From what I recall, holidays usually began late November to mid-December (the older you were, the earlier the holidays tended to begin) and went on until the end of January. You would then get three additional sets of holidays throughout the year, each two weeks long.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Last year, for Christmas, it was about 82 degrees outside.
Hooray, Arizona!

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
07-07-2006, 04:59 PM
our holidays start end of november and finish mid february

summer= end of school/uni, beach, bbq, just go out in general

winter= mid school/uni break stay at home, snuggle in front of tv and drink whatever is hot

i do miss snow though its been a while since ive been to a place with snow

bipper
07-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Christmas should be in the summer anyways :eep: Who the elle wants more vacation in the winter!? It's not like Jesus's birfday was in the dead of winter - on the contrary, it was prolly closer to spring.

I would be cool with that, but the whole toilet sirling the wrong way in the sothern hemisphere thing would throw me off immensley! Do your clocks go backwards?

Yamaneko
07-07-2006, 07:46 PM
In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people.

Captain Maxx Power
07-07-2006, 09:06 PM
The northern hemisphere rocks compared to the south. We have Britain, America, Japan, Russia, China. Who have you guys got? Buenos Ares and Australia. Plus your water goes down the wrong way.

Reine
07-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Ah, but we have New Zealand which automatically wins

bipper
07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Prehaps the southern hemisphere is really the northern hemisphere and if gravity gave out it would be us that fell off!

oh noes!:confused:

-N-
07-07-2006, 09:18 PM

bipper
07-07-2006, 09:24 PM

But where is your Wisconsin?

-N-
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Sunk to the bottom of the sea like it should be.

bipper
07-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Ya'll brains are spinning the wrong way too, evidently :p

Slade
07-08-2006, 04:59 AM
When your a student, there's four lots of holidays during the year. The Christmas ones are the longest (I'm an art student and my Christmas holidays this year consist of about 3 fecking months, how boring :mad: ) Then theres the other 3 two week long holidays that come up at the end of each term.

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2006, 03:28 AM

I think it's awesome. We have Christmas in summer! That means instead of snow, we spend it at the pool or beach, having BBQ's and fighting for the best spot under the Air con on Christmas day.
Living in Southern California, I can do that pretty much all year round.

Mum
07-10-2006, 03:20 AM
A hot Christmas Day, opening presents, laughing, eating, swimming, playing tennis, drinking, eating some more (and none of this hot meals palava - a huge buffet of salads, cold cuts and lots of cold puddings like pavlova, pineapple puddings, trifles, ice cream, fruit salad, chocolate truffles, brandy snaps, jelly...mmm

As a kid, the Christmas holidays were 2 months of fun, relaxing, swimming, sunbathing, lying outside listening to music...ahh. The there are 3 more 2 week breaks to look foward to.
Who wants to have a long holiday in the freezing cold, huddled up inside?
Also, because its the Christmas holidays, the parents get time off and we all went away for our holidays. With the way the public holidays are in quick succession, you can go away for 2 weeks and only have to take 6 days holiday entitlement!

To satisfy the Northern foreigners, we sometimes have whats called a Mid Winter Christmas Party (which is what I'm throwing in 2 weeks time). Then we get together for a night, drink, exchange small presents and have a big 4 course hot meal with a steamed pudding etc. What I did at the beginning of this year was freeze down a Christmas Cake, Christmas Pudding, Christmas mince tarts etc especially for it.

So that way, my dears, we get TWO Christmas-type celebrations and get-togethers! So we down-under win both ways! (Bring on the heat I say - sunshine over snow any day!)