PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi-------The Future----------

DeathKnight
07-07-2006, 03:48 AM
I believe that Online games will play a BIG part in the console wars and not just int he console wars....but I think it's something that it's gonna grow and grow...........and GROW

THink 'bout it, imagine these games online:

-Gran Turismo
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Street Fighter(NEW or even old)
-Metroid Prime(Wii)
-Mario Kart(Wii)
-Animal Crossing(Wii)
-Soul Calibur
-Phantasy Star Online
-Final Fantasy
-Mana games

Any thoughts on online games and what they could bring/have brought and how much better they'll be.

MecaKane
07-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Hey man, welcome to 1999.

Agent Proto
07-07-2006, 04:55 AM
What about 1999 Kane? This is Wifi, something that everyone should be able to have by next year, if not now. Besides, back in 1999, there was only a handful of games that could be played online. Anyway, I think this is great news. Being able to play with another person through wifi without ever having to meet in person. :)

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Wi-fi is stupid and slow. Not to mention all the hassles of signal strength. Wi-fi on a home console only is the most retarded thing I can think of. I am not buying a new router to go online with the Wii and the fact that it is only wifi makes it very unattractive to me.

Also where have you been Proto. Online gameing was pretty big in 1999. I know I played plenty of online FPS games on my PC then.

MecaKane
07-07-2006, 05:09 AM
This is Wifi, something that everyone should be able to have by next year, if not now.
No, no. Not at all. There's no point for the average house to already have a wireless connection, unless they have more than one computer which probably isn't most of the first world yet.

And in 1999 everyone was speculating on how internet gaming would change everything, and it did with Xbox live. It could even go over wifi then too. Now the other consoles are just keeping up.

Agent Proto
07-07-2006, 05:20 AM
I didn't have online gaming back in 1999, ed. So I missed out on that. :D And besides, this is online console gaming, not online PC gaming. HUGE difference.

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Your right. There is a huge difference. That difference being this thread is pretty general and poorly thought out from the start leaving it open to interrpertation :D

Ah...memories of playing Doom II death match...damn. How long ago was that? 95 maybe?

Roto13
07-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I am not buying a new router to go online with the Wii.
Then buy one of those Nintendo wireless dongle thingies for $20 and enjoy online gaming for free after that.

This is Wifi, something that everyone should be able to have by next year, if not now.
No, no. Not at all. There's no point for the average house to already have a wireless connection,
He didn't say they have it, he said they are able to have it.

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Then buy one of those Nintendo wireless dongle thingies for $20 and enjoy online gaming for free after that.

I can get a wireless router for $25 now. Maybe even 20. Why get the dongle thing?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-07-2006, 05:46 AM
More opportunities to say "dongle."

Agent Proto
07-07-2006, 05:53 AM
I believe that Online games will play a BIG part in the console wars and not just int he console wars....but I think it's something that it's gonna grow and grow...........and GROW

ed, I do believe that DeathKnight said online gaming through consoles in this post, so you thinking it's about general online gaming is wrong. :D

Roto13
07-07-2006, 05:58 AM

I can get a wireless router for $25 now. Maybe even 20. Why get the dongle thing?
If you're not willing to pay a one-time rate of $20 - $25 for online gaming, well, that's your fault.

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 06:10 AM

ed, I do believe that DeathKnight said online gaming through consoles in this post, so you thinking it's about general online gaming is wrong. :D

He is right. It has played a big part in stuff outside the console wars :D

If you're not willing to pay a one-time rate of $20 - $25 for online gaming, well, that's your fault.

I should have to pay $20 because a company was too cheap to put in a part that is standard on most motherboards now? If you want to get ripped off that is on you. I will simply play online games on a console that has an ethernet jack.

Roto13
07-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Do you think the console companies pay for that? Wrong. You pay for that when you buy it. The Wii is going to be cheap. Factor in the cost of a router and it's still going to be cheap.

Erdrick Holmes
07-07-2006, 06:16 AM
By the way, the DS will have two new pokemon games, will they use the Wifi /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife?

Roto13
07-07-2006, 06:18 AM
I believe so.

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Do you think the console companies pay for that? Wrong. You pay for that when you buy it. The Wii is going to be cheap. Factor in the cost of a router and it's still going to be cheap.

I would gladly pay an extra $2 on my console to have a part that should already be there actually be there. You act like an ethernet jack costs tons of $$$ when it doesn't.

jesteranimefreak
07-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Doesn't the Wii come with an ethernet jack?

Wii will have built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi connectivity allowing communication over the Internet and with the Nintendo DS via wireless networking. Nintendo has stated that Wii will have a standard interface for Wi-Fi. An optional USB adapter will provide network connectivity via wired Ethernet as well.

well.... with a small adapter. :choc:

edczxcvbnm
07-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Doesn't the Wii come with an ethernet jack?

Wii will have built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi connectivity allowing communication over the Internet and with the Nintendo DS via wireless networking. Nintendo has stated that Wii will have a standard interface for Wi-Fi. An optional USB adapter will provide network connectivity via wired Ethernet as well.

well.... with a small adapter. :choc:

So they include the more expensive Wifi but don't include the dirt cheap hard line jack? For a company that came in 3rd worldwide and has a reputation problem this is just a stupid move. For going online Nintendo has put themselves in the back of my mind as an option and competetor.

Roto13
07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Do you really think this is going to break the Wii? Because there's a great deal of positive hype surrounding it, and many people are (prematurely) calling it the winner of the coming console generation. I think you're making a huge deal out of nothing.

ljkkjlcm9
07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm quite sure that edcszjsfoigfdjs is just a Nintendo hater. I know that's not his actual name, but I don't care.

The Wifi for the DS is awesome. And the simple matter of Wifi is that it's completely free. Not a single DS Wifi game costs a penny to play online. I don't care how limited the Wifi may be, or how great internet it is on any other system. I don't pay for online games. Sadly I have missed out on a number of good online games, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee, no game is so good to cost me... about 120 dollars a year.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
07-07-2006, 04:37 PM
The WiFi dongle mentioned is specifically designed currently to work with the DS. It's for people who either don't already have access a wireless connection, or aren't especially computer savvy to set up a wireless connection for the DS.
I'm pretty sure the Wii does have an ethernet jack (it would be pretty stupid if it didn't), but it will have WiFi capability right out of the box.
Besides.. wifi *is* the future. Sure, it's slower than a hard line, but how many people have internet connections that go 100mbs per second? Please let me know, because I would like to move to your planet. Even though WiFi transfers average at about 54mbs per second, that's still more than enough 'bandwidth' for high speed internet. Speed is less of an issue than signal strength. And if you get the dongle and plug it into your laptop/pc or whatever, signal strength should not be a problem at all.

KentaRawr!
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I can see WiFi being the future. It's convenient. Wi-Fi won't exactly do much to the games, but it's still rather convenient. The games you mentioned would be pretty cool online. I can mention more than a few games that I would love to play with my internet friends, like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, or the Mana Games. :D But I always hate it when the entire focus of a game is on Internet Play. >_< Blah. However, my thoughts on what internet play could bring... well, I always had a closed mind, so all I can say is playing with other people. Maybe some updates here and there. I have always wished for one thing though, and that would be convenience. Me want convenience!

Of course, in this day and age, no company is going to implement online play and not try to put the focus on that. That's what I always hate. When the only good part of a game is the online mode. >_< Really the only game I can mention is Metroid Prime Hunters. Gah, I hate that game...

Dreddz
07-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Phantasy Star Online

DeathKnight
07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
By the way, the DS will have two new pokemon games, will they use the Wifi /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife?

This could INSANELY revive the Pokemon series and I'm so looking forward to it, this game's REALLY gonna kick some ass.

I'm quite sure that edcszjsfoigfdjs is just a Nintendo hater. I know that's not his actual name, but I don't care.

The Wifi for the DS is awesome. And the simple matter of Wifi is that it's completely free. Not a single DS Wifi game costs a penny to play online. I don't care how limited the Wifi may be, or how great internet it is on any other system. I don't pay for online games. Sadly I have missed out on a number of good online games, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee, no game is so good to cost me... about 120 dollars a year.

THE JACKAL

My thoughts exactly.

PS: aside from edc345353 whatever, you guys rock! I'm so happy to see your posts.

Shoeberto
07-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Wifi is hardly the future. It's been a mainstream, established technology for, what, four years now? Just because game manufacturers came too soon to include the technology in the past generation of consoles doesn't make it some huge, recent innovation. It's great, but people were calling it the 'future' in 2002. It's now the future. We can stop being excited.

Ultima Shadow
07-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Smash online= Instant win.

DeathKnight
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Wifi is hardly the future. It's been a mainstream, established technology for, what, four years now? Just because game manufacturers came too soon to include the technology in the past generation of consoles doesn't make it some huge, recent innovation. It's great, but people were calling it the 'future' in 2002. It's now the future. We can stop being excited.

Well, we ARE! :irked: