PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion

Cid
07-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Anyone else playing this game? I like it.

drunkymonkey
07-08-2006, 07:25 PM
The most unintentionally hilarious game ever made.

Good day citizen!
Good day!
Have you heard about the recent situation in Kvatch?
Yes, it's terrible, isn't it?
Indeed.
STOP TALKING TO ME!!!11!!1

It's daft, but it's daft fun. I hate it how the enemies level up with you though.

Cid
07-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I don't like how they talk to you all nice until you end the conversation and they're like "You talk too much!"

It is a buggy game, but fun.

drunkymonkey
07-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I don't like how they talk to you all nice until you end the conversation and they're like "You talk too much!"

It is a buggy game, but fun.Yah, that's what I was getting at. Oblivion is a very scary game because you don't know quite what is going to happen. I also don't like how every uses oh so formal English. Personally, I think most of the characters seem wooden.

I love the Dark Brotherhood though, the quests that they get you to do are awesome, especially the one where you need to kill them all with the help of a not so friendly ghost. And also, it features Sean Bean in a leading role, so that alone secures complete brilliance.

Yamaneko
07-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Awesome game. I have it on the 360. I assume you have it for PC. I kind of envy the PC users (the ones who can run it well) because they have a wealth of mods that extend the life of the game.

I still haven't actually beat the main quest since I've been distracted by the countless side quests. My brother sunk 150+ hours into the whole experience before laying it down for good.

drunkymonkey
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Awesome game. I have it on the 360. I assume you have it for PC. I kind of envy the PC users (the ones who can run it well) because they have a wealth of mods that extend the life of the game.

I still haven't actually beat the main quest since I've been distracted by the countless side quests. My brother sunk 150+ hours into the whole experience before laying it down for good.Indeed. There's some excellent little mods you can get. Exploding Arrow Mods, Pet mods, and the must-have improved UI mod, which makes the test much, much smaller, which is a god-send really.

I Took the Red Pill
07-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah Oblivion's great, I play it on the PC. I love vampirism.

XxSephirothxX
07-09-2006, 08:02 AM
I bought it when it came out, but just picked it back up a couple days ago after a two month break. I've still barely touched the main quest, and plan on putting several hundred hours into the game before finishing it. There are too many fun tasks to do and places to go. Some of the bugs are annoying, though, and I wish the AI was better, but there's just so much game packed onto one disc it's hard to complain.

drunkymonkey
07-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah Oblivion's great, I play it on the PC. I love vampirism.It would be better if it was the traditional effect though. Growing weaker by not feeding, and not the current reverse.

Captain Maxx Power
07-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately for me I know too much about the quirks of the engine from my extensive playing of Morrowind, so with my second playthrough (my first being only to finish the main quest as fast as possible) I was able to get the usual max stats et al. I will say there are quite a few things in this game that make it harder to power yourself up quickly (level limits on Deadric Quests, fewer Artefacts, static vendors, skill learning limits). In contrast to this, compared to Morrowind, there's actually less to do. Maybe it's because of the fast travel that I can usually complete a quest in less than a minute. But if you add everything up, the length of the quests and the amount available, it's easier to see and do everything, which is a shame since obviously Oblivion is superior to Morrowind in so many ways. To compare and contrast, speed-running aside, it would probably take you about thirty-five to forty hours to complete the main quest in Morrowind. In Oblivion you could probably knock it out in under ten.

Saying that where Oblivion completely flounced Morrowind on is dungeons. In Morrowind it was feasible, and usually the norm, to be able to cover an entire dungeon in less than a minute. In Oblivion, it's nearer to half an hour. They're just so freakin' big. In that respect, Oblivion wins. However, if you're like me and you need some motivation to go down into them dungeons besides loot and experience then this is a bit of a moot point. I've found almost every dungeon in the game but I've probably only cleared about 20% of them, because most of the time it just felt like a chore rather than a pleasure. Oblivion Gates I always clear out though. I've since gone from clearing them out fully to basically making a mad dash for the sigil stone. It actually makes for interesting gaming, especially since I try to go without using potions and instead activating Blood Fountains and hoping for the best. Usually the only loot worth getting is either in the Punished in the Sigil Stone chamber, or the Sigil Stone itself (NB Enchanting in Oblivion sucks, Sigil Stones usually beat standard enchanting each time, even if you use the highest possible souls).

drunkymonkey
07-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately for me I know too much about the quirks of the engine from my extensive playing of Morrowind, so with my second playthrough (my first being only to finish the main quest as fast as possible) I was able to get the usual max stats et al. I will say there are quite a few things in this game that make it harder to power yourself up quickly (level limits on Deadric Quests, fewer Artefacts, static vendors, skill learning limits). In contrast to this, compared to Morrowind, there's actually less to do. Maybe it's because of the fast travel that I can usually complete a quest in less than a minute. But if you add everything up, the length of the quests and the amount available, it's easier to see and do everything, which is a shame since obviously Oblivion is superior to Morrowind in so many ways. To compare and contrast, speed-running aside, it would probably take you about thirty-five to forty hours to complete the main quest in Morrowind. In Oblivion you could probably knock it out in under ten.
I think it was because, cosidering it was being marketed to Xbox gamers as well, they dumbed it down a little. Certainly I don't think many consoles gamers would have bothered if the fighting was like what it was in Morrowind.
I definitely didn't like the whole fast travel thing. I know you could say 'don't use it,' but it was there, and it was a constant niggle for me, call me sad or what you will.

I completely agree with the dungeon part. It seems like such a great opportunity, but it quickly becomes boring next to exploring the country-side. There really was little motivation to go into a dungeon and kill stuff, because you'd very rarely get anything really worth while out of it.
I hated the Oblivion gates too. Next to the beautiful countryside, those just seemed a bit low-fi for me.

Cid
07-09-2006, 07:13 PM

I still haven't actually beat the main quest since I've been distracted by the countless side quests. My brother sunk 150+ hours into the whole experience before laying it down for good.

I actually blew my graduation money on an Xbox 360. I am happy about that. Yeah, I've spent about 30 hours now and the main quest has been barely touched.

Yeah Oblivion's great, I play it on the PC. I love vampirism.

I was all excited about becoming a vampire... until I become one. If you get stuck out in the sun and you can't feed on blood, you're screwed. My current mission is the Cure for Vampirism.

I Took the Red Pill
07-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, the Sun thing does suck quite a bit, but I really like the Night-Eye that comes with the whole package along with the other spells you gain and the extra strength with each increasing "level" of vampirism. I do admit that there were times where I just wished I was never one at all though, usually when I get caught in the sun after not feeding for a while as you said.

mega_tonberry
07-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I was going to do the cure for vampirism quest until I heard that your face goes back to the original template before you edited it. Is that true?

I felt the main quest was a bit lacking for some reason, but the side quest(namely the dark brotherhood) were beyond enjoyable. When I saw Lucien Lachance killed and heard that Manimarco was back from daggerfall in the mages guild quests, I think I nearly fainted and had to remind myself it was just a game.

drunkymonkey
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
I got a mod where the death star replaces the moon.

fantasyjunkie
07-10-2006, 12:41 AM
I bought it for the PC but after 70 hours of gameplay I got tired of competing with my wife for the comp so I bought it for the 360. I have almost 80 hours into the 360 now. Yes, I enjoy playing with the mods on the PC but it is really nice sitting on my couch with a controller in my hands. Even after 150 hours total playing I STILL enjoy just looking at the countryside and the detail put into the buildings. There are even rafters on the inside of some of the buildings! last night I was checking out how the torch light reflected off of my dadric bow. Amazing.
Some people compare the 3 games, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion against each other but I love them all.
Grrr, I spent too much time in the formal thread, it's hard typing modern English again :mad:

Yamaneko
07-10-2006, 02:43 AM
It's nice that fast travel is there, but I rarely use it. That's the great thing about the game. It gives you a lot of options and you can chose which ones to use.

After the combat engine in Oblivion I could never go back to Morrowind. It feels archaic.

drunkymonkey
07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Indeedies, and at the time it felt like something incredible, which just goes to show how advanced this new Oblivion is.