PDA

View Full Version : English Majors I require your assistance!

jesteranimefreak
07-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Ok, normally I have a knack for English grammar rules and whatnot. Writing comes slightly easier to me. However, there are time when a sentance doesn't look right to me... this is one of those times. Does this sentance look punctuated right to you?

If out of all the things he could have said – all the things he could have done he gave me one punch and forgave me I think we’re even.

Like I said, usually I can figure this out myself... but this throws me for a loop.

o_O
07-09-2006, 03:25 AM
If, out of all the things he could have said – all the things he could have done - he gave me one punch and forgave me. I think we’re even.

jesteranimefreak
07-09-2006, 03:38 AM
hmmm.... the thing is I want it to be one cohesive thought. Two sentances makes it too broken up. The sad thing is, the original sentance didn't show up on my grammar check but I knew it didn't look right. (Grammar checks... who needs them)

Roto13
07-09-2006, 04:13 AM
"sentence" ;)

o_O
07-09-2006, 05:33 AM
If, out of all the things he could have said – all the things he could have done - he gave me one punch and forgave me; I think we’re even.

How's that? :p

Or else you could make it:

If, out of all the things he could have said – all the things he could have done - he gave me one punch and forgave me so I think we’re even.

Xaven
07-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Yes, I'd go with the semicolon. Teachers and professors like semicolons when they're used correctly.

drunkymonkey
07-09-2006, 10:13 AM
They get all excited about them and they feel really guilty if they give you low marks.

Samuraid
07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Of all the things he could have said or done, he gave me one punch and forgave me. I think we're even.

OR, if you are speaking hypothetically:

Out of all the things he could have said or done, if he gave me one punch and forgave me, I think we would be even.

Dignified Pauper
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Out of all the things he could have said – all the things he could have done - he gave me one punch then forgave me; I think we’re even.

Raistlin
07-11-2006, 09:01 PM
If out of all of the things he could have said – all of the things he could have done - he gave me one punch and forgave me, then I think we’d be even.