PDA

View Full Version : No World Map?

Topcat
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Now, i don't want this to turn into a FFX bashing thread becuase i actually do like the game very much, but what i don't understand is why there is no proper world map like previous games? For me the world map was one of the things that made the FF series so great, it allowed so much freedom and exploration. When FFX came out i didn't understand why a game with such great graphics did not have a world map. I see that FFXII will also have no real world map aswell:( I have no problem with SqaureEnix changing the series and making it different to other previous games but i feel that they should have kept to the tradition in this case.

What do you guys think?:)

Captain Maxx Power
07-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Well it's a step in the right direction of full immersion and realism. For me to travel seemingly miles upon miles within a manner of minutes on foot isn't exactly the norm. Plus there's the whole "characters as big as cities" spiel. I for one didn't really miss the world map in this game and don't think I'll miss it too much for FFXII.

jaxun
07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
U mean overworld lol anyway that would be more interesting if there was a overworld or world map....

LunarWeaver
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't miss the standard interactive world map, I'd much prefer for all the areas to be seen as the characters see them.

Prancing Mad
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I do love the overworld maps, 'cause it makes it seem HUGE. But, having none also makes it possible to add places onto the map, thus making new dungeons for sequels. It makes it easier to make sequels for sure lol

Yuffie514
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Final Fantasy X missed out on a few points (as in, rating scores, IMO) without a world map. sure, it's no big deal, but it takes out the sense of exploration, flying to the top of what seems to be impossible to land on, side-quests, or maybe even wandering into the lair of a giant cobra, which might be a bite in your heel if you didn't come prepared...

IceAngel
07-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I did wonder this at first but after a while I thought the game didn't really need it. The places you needed to go to were already there to be traveled through and you could just teleport there. Anyways you could also train up in the 'field' areas too which is what you did on the world map. Any sidequests are in the area's you go to and makes it more easier to get to intead of having to search a particular spot at the bottom of the ocean or at the corner of the world map in the middle of the sea. So no I don't think I miss it as much as I thought I would.

Ryushikaze
07-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Well, for one thing, the entire story of FF10 does not cover its entire world. There's a lot more Spira out there. Perhaps FF10-3, if it appears, will allow for the whole world map to be explored as humanity spread off to encompass the whole planet, now that they've the freedom to do so.

Dragon's Addendum- Egads, I'm too used to typing 'FF7'. Edited for accuracy.

Cruise Control
07-10-2006, 03:02 AM
I wish there was a world map, its my only regret.

I normally wouldn't care except, I h ave the peculiar habit that when i beat a game, I print out the world map and hang it on my wall.

Zeromus_X
07-10-2006, 03:05 AM
The creators even explained that they were doing away with alot of older things. They had planned for a real-time game, but the battle system ended up like the older games anyway.

Anyway, I guess a world map would be cool, but now I can't really imagine FFX having one.

Darkwing Bahamut
07-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Exploring would seem more realistic without the World Map. The World Map makes your characters appear bigger than the cities/towns, it wouldn't be very realistic that way, which is probably why the creators took out the World Map thing.

No.78
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I like to think of the calm lands as the world map... I dunno why, but it looks so big in the game but when you think about how quick you can walk across it without encounters, it;s actually quite small.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
This has been an argument for a while. the lack of world map seemed to make the game more linear. however i disagree. i think the world map reduces the sense of realism in the games, with huge char sprites and tiny buildings. maybe there should be a world map but make it smaller.

Dell
07-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I want a world map, that way you can have more dungeon, world map monster (I always train on the world map) and more secrets.

CLB619
07-11-2006, 05:14 AM
There is a world map, i have 99 of them in my inventory but they aren't like other FFs

Cruise Control
07-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Oh yeah! *prints*

G SpOtZ
07-13-2006, 06:11 AM
I personally enjoyed the world map in all of the other games. They all had memorable shapes to each continent and I loved free-roaming it. The fact that the characters were as big as the towns didn't bother me at all, I could easily deal with that. It was probably one of my favorite parts of the games, over all.

Slade
07-13-2006, 06:20 AM
I feel that a world map makes the the game and the world itself seem bigger. I dunno wether it was the same for anyone else, but I found FFX's world to be extremely small compared to the previous FF's I had played.

krayziesaiko
07-13-2006, 06:33 AM
I did miss it when I first played Final Fantasy X and X-2, but I am happy with the way they did the world map in Dragon Quest VIII and I heard that is how they are doing it in XII, and I am glad... I think they are making the transition well. It makes the game seem more real, and it just makes more sense to do it that way now that they have the ability.