PDA

View Full Version : Goodfellas

Sylvie
07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I just saw this movie last night. It was a little hard to watch at times, but it was a good movie. They must have said the F word about 300 times. Anyone else seen this?

Hambone
07-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Nope! :D

~SapphireStar~
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes I have and loved it. The casting was brilliant and it can be hard to watch at times, but thats gangster movies for you.

Sylvie
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
The only part that was hard to watch was when Tommy killed that one guy who wanted him to polish his shoes, and when they were driving the body to bury it, and the guy was still alive... >.<

~SapphireStar~
07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah the opening stabby scene, the noise made me almost throw up.

Cz
07-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah, it's an absolute classic. In fact, I think I'll go and watch it now. :D

~SapphireStar~
07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
See you in 3 hours :D
Why are gangster films so long? Not that Im complaining, I love mob movies, except the Godfather part 3.

Sylvie
07-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Mob movies are good. Good Fellas was my first one.

Psychotic
07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
It's a great movie. Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci were fantastic.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I didn't understand it. I though it was unnecessarily violent and had far too many swear words. Only classic bit was 'funny like as in I amoose yoo, I'm here to ******* amoose yoo?'

Emerald weapon
07-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Amzaing,sheer genius i thought,my favourite film I've also seen the documentary about it and if you thought the fulm was harsh,the real guys life was twice as bad as in the film!!

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I didn't understand it. I though it was unnecessarily violent and had far too many swear words. Only classic bit was 'funny like as in I amoose yoo, I'm here to ******* amoose yoo?'
Well, did you want it to be accurate to the story they were trying to tell or did you want them to run around hugging teddy bears for three hours? How can you call violence and swear words in a gangter movie unnecessary? It's like saying "All that kissing and talk about love in that romance movie was totally unecessary."

SammieBabe
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
It's an incredibly violent movie, but its one of the closer representations of what actually happens in the Mafia...:)

It was cool, not really my genre though...:D

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, did you want it to be accurate to the story they were trying to tell or did you want them to run around hugging teddy bears for three hours? How can you call violence and swear words in a gangter movie unnecessary? It's like saying "All that kissing and talk about love in that romance movie was totally unecessary."

This was the exact worry that actor Paul Sorvino had when he finished filming Goodfellas in the sense that he felt he may have hurt his career. Are you saying 300 f words is completely necessary just because it is a gangster movie? If whoever wrote the script was more subtleter with words then maybe this film would have lost the adapted screenplay oscar to Kevin Costners 'Dances with wolves'

Shiny
07-10-2006, 02:52 AM
I thought it was pretty good. I'm not really in to Italian mafia movies, but this one was interesting.

They must have said the F word about 300 times.
:D Ha, I think that was the exact count for Scarface.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Scarface was 218. Goodfellas was 246.

Del Murder
07-10-2006, 03:22 AM
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Whenever I am sick and I can't sleep I watch this movie. I think it is because I enjoy it so much that it makes me forget about my pains.

farplaner
07-10-2006, 04:00 AM
I'm not really a big fan of Scarface and Godfather and a lot of other gangster movies (not to mention Sopranos)...spare me your WTF's!? I've heard them all.

Goodfellas though is definitely a classic. I can't clearly state what it's got that others don't, but it does....you follow :D?

radyk05
07-10-2006, 04:01 AM
goodfellas is my favorite gangster movie (the untouchables is a close second). haven't seen it in english tho. all the swering was changed 'cause they don't use swear words in the spanish traduction.

chaos_ghost
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
"Nobodies going to jail Karen!"

One of my favorote all time movies. Nothing makes a film like violence, cocaine use, and the f word. Truly a classic.

Outer Heaven
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
This is one of my favorite movies with Robert De Niro.:D

chrisfffan
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
you should watch once upon a time in america if u like gangster films its up there with the godfather

Skarr
08-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I remember staying up 'till 3 in the mourning watching this film. I've gotta say it's right up there with Scarface and The Godfather.

licence
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
As good as those 2?

Hmmm, I might have to give it a look. Would I need to be a keen follower of the series to understand the movie?

I also agree with Chris, Once Upon A Time in America is really good.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 02:10 AM
As good as those 2?

Hmmm, I might have to give it a look. Would I need to be a keen follower of the series to understand the movie?

I also agree with Chris, Once Upon A Time in America is really good.

Goodfellas series? There isn't one, as far as I know. You should give the movie a look, though.

licence
08-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Oh sorry, I got mixed up lol. I was thinking of the Sopranos. I've already seen Goodfellas.

Thats the one with the guy from the Heineken advert right? Ray Liotta I think his name is? Not sure though.

Psychotic
08-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Correct, licence.

I watched this again a couple of days ago, and one thing I noticed was how the movie made Jimmy and (especially) Tommy look like total psychos, and it made Henry out to be just a guy who liked the lifestyle and didn't do anything terrible like murder anybody. It wouldn't surprise me that, because it was based on the real Henry Hill's story, he had twisted the truth a little bit here and there.

chrisfffan
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
has anyone in america seen the new series of the sopranos whats it like and is it the larst one?