PDA

View Full Version : Holy Posession Batman

LunarWeaver
07-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Yesterday when I waltzed into my room my monitor was flicking off and on over and over. It would go off for about five seconds, come back on, the image would stretch out and out and then flick off again. So I switch the whole thing off, boot back up and it all seems groovy. But today it started doing the same thing out of nowhere, so I had to restart again. Now that I've restarted, the brand new speakers I bought yesterday now refuse to even turn on.

The speakers had not been plugged in when it was doing it yesterday, so that can't be the problem. I have downloaded a few things but not for a bit and nothing dangerous. Does this sound remotely familiar to anybody or is my computer just being a circus monkey.

Edit: I totally spelled possession like that intentionally.

Xaven
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Is your electical outlet (or extension cord, or anything) being retarded? That's what it sounds like to me. :3

crono_logical
07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd have also tried just turning the monitor off for a bit then back on, rather than the whole computer :p How old is this monitor, anyway?

But yeah, check the power supply to everything first :p

LunarWeaver
07-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Well the speakers are working again, and I toggled about with the wires...Not doing much now, so hopefully that sticks. The monitor IS pretty old, gotta admit...Maybe it's just hacking and coughing like the geezer it is.

Edit: well not so much with that. Now it's doing it more than ever. I guess I just have to buy a new one if it is the monitor then...

MecaKane
07-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Same thing was happening to my monitor a little while before it exploded, or something. It smelled like burnt toast in my room, hurrah!

crono_logical
07-10-2006, 08:23 AM
CRT Monitors are more likely to implode than explode when it dies, due to the vacuum inside it :p

When you say the image stretches out, does it also flatten at the same time? If so, then it's definitely time to replace the monitor, unless you really do want to see it blow :p

Shoden
07-10-2006, 02:10 PM
CRT Monitors are more likely to implode than explode when it dies, due to the vacuum inside it :p

When you say the image stretches out, does it also flatten at the same time? If so, then it's definitely time to replace the monitor, unless you really do want to see it blow :p

I'd let it blow. One of the computer's monitors in my school's ICT suite did the exact same thing, no one bothered to fix it and left it on, randomly in the lesson it just exploded out of nowhere. If you don't want to get hurt get a new one.

bipper
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, if your computer is posesed you have to get a excersists, silly. Make sure you pay him, or your computer may get reposessed!:p