PDA

View Full Version : $600 PS3

fantasyjunkie
07-10-2006, 12:46 AM
I have been playing games for almost 30 years now. Ever since the 80's I have tried to get every system that came out because I love gaming so much. But I'm afraid i'm gonna have to pass on the PS3. There is just no way I can afford $600. and that's before taxes and no games.
Sony is saying it's a deal because it has blue ray but the fact still stands I can't afford $600. I'm hoping in a couple of years the price will come down.

Erdrick Holmes
07-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Sony claims the PS3's firmware will last 20 years.

I call bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifs.

DJZen
07-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh I'm hoping that too. I'm not one of these rabid "OMG BOYCOTT TEH SONAY!" fanboys, but the way they've been acting lately is just ridiculous. I take consolation in the fact that it's totally biting them in the rear (the controversy over the racist PSP ad, the success of the DS, being considered the joke of E3 '06), but I figure every console has something to offer. ...Well, maybe not the game.com, but you know what I mean. In that regard, I want a PS3. However, I am NOT willing to pay $600 for something that will be outmoded in 5 years, or $500 for something that will be considered outmoded before that. I've also heard other rumors which are very disturbing. I don't know how true any of them are (they all sound like total financial suicide, and even though Sony is good for that (Betamax, MiniDisc, UMD movies...), I don't think they're THAT stupid), but I've heard all of the following:

Games will be license key based, meaning you can only play a game on one PS3. If your PS3 dies, you can't play your games on your replacement PS3.

Game and video stores will not be allowed to rent PS3 games to customers or sell pre-owned games (mainly this ties in with the first rumor).

The PS3 will not be a standard configuration, meaning there will be future models with superior hardware. Meaning early adopters will get REALLY screwed when the new PS3-GX1 or whatever comes out and all of a sudden they can't play any new games unless they shell out another $600. (This is something I actually read in an interview with Ken Kutaragi, but I seriously hope it's untrue)

Again, I still want a PS3 eventually, but Sony's done a lot to turn me off to it. When I prefer a Microsoft product to the competition, you know things are getting scary.

Shiny
07-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64, Gamecube, etc.) and something is telling me that PS3 will be a complete waste like them. Sony is so full of it saying it will last 20 years when they're systems usually don't last for more than 5 years. The only reason I have interest in buying it is, because FF13 and MGS4 is going to be on it. I'll probably just wait it out till the price goes down (like fantasyjunkie) before I waste $600.

Erdrick Holmes
07-10-2006, 01:12 AM
I doubt the final PS3 release will force you to register your games to play one PS3 only. I mean how is it possible to write that to a disc?

feona17
07-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Oh man.. I want PS3 solely for FF13. But then, hold on a second, when is PS3 coming out if FF13 is coming out Halloween in NA? The price is way too high, but hopefully my brother will buy it. He's already bought PS, PS2 and the portable.

DJZen
07-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64,

Sorry I just find that kind of ironic...

Don't worry so much about the "20 year" boast. Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV. 5 years later, it's just another game system. Sure it also has the ability to play CDs, DVDs, and go on the internet, but it's nothing revolutionary. Sony's big claims about the PS3 sound just as stupid now as the PS2's big claims sounded in 2000, I'm really not expecting it to be anything more than a game console.

Nick Schovitz
07-10-2006, 01:18 AM
i might not get one at all at that price, but I have entered two competitions to win a free one. I'll think I'll by a wii wii from somebody because it's been years since I played a mario game or a Zelda game, too bad FFXIII can't be on my wii wii, I want to play with my wii wii.

Roto13
07-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Games will be license key based, meaning you can only play a game on one PS3. If your PS3 dies, you can't play your games on your replacement PS3.
Combine that with Sony's tradition of really /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty hardware, and it's even scarier.

I'd also like someone to explain to me how the Nintendo 64 and Game Cube were a "waste to buy".

DJZen
07-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Well the N64 had some good potential, but there was a real lack of 3rd party interest. Games were a lot more expensive than the competition's, so people weren't as likely to buy as many. Even Nintendo's highly rated 1st party titles became few and far between. It's not like the system had nothing going for it, it just didn't have enough to stay afloat, and fell into the deadly spiral of lack of developer interest leading to lack of consumer interest, leading to lack of developer interest.

The Gamecube had a pretty bad launch, and it looked like it was going to be the N64 all over again, but after a few good 1st and 2nd party titles, it picked up some slack. Granted it never came close to touching the PS2, but at the end of the current generation, all 3 consoles have very real strengths of their own.

Just about any console or handheld will have enough good titles to justify your purchase though. Justifying $600 is difficult, but I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel it's worth it. I mean hey, it's got two Final Fantasy titles announced for it already! Surely that will be appreciated on this board.

Shoden
07-10-2006, 01:27 AM

For one sony denied and out that down the drain ages ago, I'm only getting a PS3 because of the FF games and DMC but til then I'm going for an XB 360. try going for the other model of the PS3 the 20GB, that's $500 USD, lucky for you guys because it aint coming over here. Only the big 60GB model. Most of the games due out are going to be on all 3 consoles for 1, so I'm going for the 360.

Nick Schovitz
07-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Well I didn't says they were a waste, but Gamecube was the system that got the least attention I mean GTA was for only PS2 and XBOX they didn't consider gamecube same goes for a lot of games, but I guess you're playing them for the nintendo character games like Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Zelda and Metroid.
You'll save money on batteries because the system's controllers are rechargable, and the 6oB is the only one for anybody, you lose too much in the 20B whatever GB means no one knows.

Shiny
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
I only buy gaming system I know aren't a waste to buy ( i.e. Nintendo 64,

Sorry I just find that kind of ironic...
If you thought I meant that those system in the parenthesis aren't a waste I actually meant the exact opposite.

Don't worry so much about the "20 year" boast. Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV. 5 years later, it's just another game system. Sure it also has the ability to play CDs, DVDs, and go on the internet, but it's nothing revolutionary. Sony's big claims about the PS3 sound just as stupid now as the PS2's big claims sounded in 2000, I'm really not expecting it to be anything more than a game console.
Yeah, plus I highly doubt they'll wait 20 years before making another game system. They also make a sytem when other competition comes out. They seem to feel threatened very easily. Frankly, I think the new Nintendo system that is said to be very cheap (possibly only $100) looks more interesting than PS3 does.

Nick Schovitz
07-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Wii does sound better but for only $100 when it was $50 when gamecube came out, nah that's impossible, pS3 wuill be the last console how can they improve other than by amaking the graphics so real that it olooks like you're watching TV when that's not any fun, the PS3 graphics is good enough.
And why can't it last 20 years I still have my Nes and Atari and it's almost been 20 years since they came out and they still work fine.

DJZen
07-10-2006, 01:35 AM
GTAIII does not make or break a system. There's a lot of multiplatform games, and very few exclude the GC. Just look at big selling titles like the new Tomb Raider game, which is available for every console under the sun. The Tony Hawk series is another big seller, and I specifically bought that for my Gamecube since the graphics were a notch better. Then you have exclusive titles like the Resident Evil remake, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Donkey Kong's Jungle Beat (you really can't deny the genius of this game), Fire Emblem, and Eternal Darkness. You also have titles which start out as exclusive and only move on to other consoles after selling a bajillion copies like Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4. The Gamecube definitely has a lot more going for it than its first party games, though those alone make a good justification for buying the system.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2006, 01:56 AM

Game and video stores will not be allowed to rent PS3 games to customers or sell pre-owned games (mainly this ties in with the first rumor).Debunked. At length.
The PS3 will not be a standard configuration, meaning there will be future models with superior hardware. Meaning early adopters will get REALLY screwed when the new PS3-GX1 or whatever comes out and all of a sudden they can't play any new games unless they shell out another $600. (This is something I actually read in an interview with Ken Kutaragi, but I seriously hope it's untrue)This is true, more or less. Kutaragi said that we should think of the PS3 as a kind of personal computer, where there will be many different models with various configurations. I'll be surprised if Sony actually goes through with this, but right now there appears to be no end to their arrogance.
Sony claims a LOT of stupid things that never turn out to be true. All console manufacturers do this. Sony also claimed that the PS2 would become the center of everyone's life, and that the Emotion Engine (which is really just the PS2's CPU) would change how we all think about reality and entertainment. I remember hearing lofty claims that the PS2 would stay in touch with you all the time via phone calls and e-mail, managing your entire life. I remember hearing that we would come to think of the PS2 not as a game system, but as a standard device like an automobile, or a TV.Don't forget the ultimate in game PR hyperbole, stated by Peter Moore before the release of the Xbox 360: "Next generation games will combine unprecedented audio and visual experiences to create worlds that are beyond real and they'll deliver storylines and gameplay so compelling that it will feel like living a lucid dream. The result is a state where you achieve the perfect mind-body equilibrium as you forget your physical surroundings and you become completely immersed in the game itself; this controller becomes an extension of your body, it becomes the gateway to the Zen of gaming."

Yeah, plus I highly doubt they'll wait 20 years before making another game system. They also make a sytem when other competition comes out.Their claims of twenty-year longevity are not meant to imply that they'll wait twenty years before they make another console; it just means they intend to continue to support the PS3 even after the PS4 (or whatever) comes out. Similarly, they've also said that they plan to support the PS2 for another five years.

This kind of thing isn't unprecedented. The SNES came out in 1990, but the big companies still developed games for the NES right up through 1994.

Dreddz
07-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Its expensive, and I dont want to be spending Ł425 on a console, but I have the money to buy one so I will buy one at launch. I dont think the system will be a waste of my money, everybody admits they are going to buy one eventually. Usually its because they want FFXIII or MGS4, but the system hasnt even been released, the line-up will get better and when people do buy a PS3, they probably buy heaps of software as well, thus Sony become dominent. I wont be one of those people though, I want a Wii and 360 so bad ( 360 only because of Bioshock ), so I will go easy on buying PS3 games. Ill probably keep with Tekken 6 for a while.

Shiny
07-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Their claims of twenty-year longevity are not meant to imply that they'll wait twenty years before they make another console; it just means they intend to continue to support the PS3 even after the PS4 (or whatever) comes out. Similarly, they've also said that they plan to support the PS2 for another five years.

I doubt that highly. When (if) they release PS4 they will soley be promoting PS4 and not care enough to want to promote PS3 anymore. For the simple reason that Sony wants our money and they want it now. They want to release "the next big thing" so people will put their old Playstations in the closet and buy a new one that's pretty much the same thing, but with different games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2006, 02:15 AM
I doubt that highly. When (if) they release PS4 they will soley be promoting PS4 and not care enough to want to promote PS3 anymore. For the simple reason that Sony wants our money and they want it now. They want to release "the next big thing" so people will put their old Playstations in the closet and buy a new one that's pretty much the same thing, but with different games.There's plenty of money to be made in supporting recently outclassed consoles. There are numerous people who absolutely will not buy a new console but still want to buy new games.

Reine
07-10-2006, 02:17 AM
The PS3 will cost $1200 here. Go figure

I aint getting one, thats for sure.

Nor a 360. Too expensive. With the Wii at $400, Im getting that though

Yamaneko
07-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Is it just me or are the console execs this generation around more full of themselves than usual? I just wish they would shut the hell up and let us play the games. I don't need to be told that $600 will deliver true next gen gameplay. Release the damned console and I'll figure it out on my own. Although I have got to admit, Reggie is less full of bull than Moore and Hirai.

fantasyjunkie
07-10-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm just bummed because I can't continue my hobby of playing games. Well I have the 360 and I will get the Wii but $600 is too much for someone supporting a wife and kid. I just can't justify that to my wife just to play games.

black orb
07-10-2006, 04:04 AM
>>> Sony finally has gone nuts..

farplaner
07-10-2006, 04:20 AM
"The future" seems to be a one-way road to multi-function, but I don't want my game console to brush my teeth for me! I just want it to play games (though the ability to play DVD's isn't bad since it's my only method of playing them). I don't even spend the fifty or so US dollars on new games...I'm content to wait for six months/a year to get them for less than half that. The only thing I might be missing out on is being able to talk about "how cool the new blah, blah, blah is" with everyone else, but that doesn't really bother me. I suppose it will be 2009 before I get a PS3.

One other thing: a couple people have mentioned that "sony wants to release new systems with their competitors because they are 'scared' " and that "sony wants your money now!"

I hope you guys don't believe that this is exclusive to sony...it's a fact for all game system developers, not to mention the nature of business.

That Peter Moore quote is hilarious....I suppose some people actually buy that crap?

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-10-2006, 04:31 AM
None of the 7th Gen. consoles have roused my interest thus far, but I’ve never bought a console ever remotely close to the release date anyway. The XBOX360 doesn’t interest me because of the games, the PS3 doesn’t interest me because it’s ludicrously expensive and the Wii doesn’t interest me because God forbid I’m not going to buy a console just because it’s cheap.

Xenosaga III, FFV:A,FFVI:A,FFIII,FFXII and Zelda: Twilight Princess will all be coming out soon. I think that will do me for a few years.

Dreddz
07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
A 20GB PS3 is only $100 more than a P360. $100 cant be that much of a problem. Who remembers the iPod, the price seemed insane for just an MP3 player, yet it was hugely successful....

Captain Maxx Power
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
This is why I stick almost exclusively with PC gaming. I only got around to getting a PSX about six years after it came out, and a PS2 a year ago.

Yamaneko
07-10-2006, 06:16 PM
PC gaming is much more expensive in the long run though. That is if you want to keep up with the latest games.

Captain Maxx Power
07-10-2006, 06:18 PM
PC gaming is much more expensive in the long run though. That is if you want to keep up with the latest games.

I've had my system for about two years now, and it runs both Half Life 2 and Quake 4 just fine ;) N.B. My system was about three hundred quid all in all, not including repairs.

Mirage
07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
the price will drop, so no worries.

Yamaneko
07-10-2006, 06:22 PM

I've had my system for about two years now, and it runs both Half Life 2 and Quake 4 just fine ;)
I run Source games fine too on my 2+ year old system, but I got a 360 to play Oblivion for about $600 rather than spending close to $2000 to run it on a computer.

Mirage
07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
That's because they made Oblibion require 10x the power to run on a PC, so that everyone would think "omg X360 can run this liek nothing, it must be awesome". I seriously believe that.

escobert
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
This is why I stick almost exclusively with PC gaming.

KentaRawr!
07-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm bummed by the price too. While it's a good deal considering what you're getting, I still can't afford it, and if I could, I'd probably find my money too important to spend so much of it on a gaming console. I don't need any of the special bells and whistles, because the only ones I'd need I already have in my Ps2. :-/ Maybe once it gets cheaper, but if I do get a next-gen console, the first one I get will be the Wii.

LunarWeaver
07-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm doing my best to consider that the Ps3 is cheap compared to what's in it, and to consider it a PC, but it isn't really helping. I'll buy one eventually anyway if it has a huge library as the Playstation 2 does. But I'm more excited for games coming out this generation than anything in the next.

I read a game analyst's take on it on Gamespot once, and she said something to the extent of "Sony is saying their system is the most powerful and has the most features, so it's the best and worth the money. But that's like saying a Porsche performs better than your car so you should go buy one. That doesn't change the fact you can't afford it." I think that's pretty true...The Ps3 will probably have lots of nice features...but in the end, the Wii will cost less and give me pretty much the same thing: games.

The whole Blu-Ray thing just confuses me. Sony is acting like if I don't have Blu-Ray I'll wither away and die, and I could care less about it.

Roto13
07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
I barely even use my DVD player. Screw blu-ray.

MageLuingil
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I think blu-ray is a lot more popular in Japan than here in the US (or anywhere else for that matter), so Sony pushing blu-ray makes tons of sense in Japan, even if it seems dumb everywhere else. Besides, it is some pretty impressive technology.

I read a game analyst's take on it on Gamespot once, and she said something to the extent of "Sony is saying their system is the most powerful and has the most features, so it's the best and worth the money. But that's like saying a Porsche performs better than your car so you should go buy one. That doesn't change the fact you can't afford it." I think that's pretty true...

I have to say I agree with you there.

Dreddz
07-10-2006, 09:02 PM
What I dont understand is whats everybodys problem with Blu-Ray, at some stage people are going to have to opt for something else other than DVD, HD DVD is nice, but Blu-Ray in superior is so many ways, I'd rather take 2 steps forward than one.

LunarWeaver
07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
What I dont understand is whats everybodys problem with Blu-Ray, at some stage people are going to have to opt for something else other than DVD, HDVD is nice, but Blu-Ray in superior is so many ways, I'd rather take 2 steps forward than one.

This is why for me:

DJZen
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I read a game analyst's take on it on Gamespot once, and she said something to the extent of "Sony is saying their system is the most powerful and has the most features, so it's the best and worth the money. But that's like saying a Porsche performs better than your car so you should go buy one. That doesn't change the fact you can't afford it." I think that's pretty true...The Ps3 will probably have lots of nice features...but in the end, the Wii will cost less and give me pretty much the same thing: games.

There's another big factor to consider there, and that's "am I going to seriously make use of this?" I'm personally undecided on the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray debate, and I don't even own an HD-TV so the HDMI out (which costs an arm and a leg for being just a cable) isn't even something I could make use of. Now, Sony's track record for introducing formats is less than stellar, so there's really no guarantee that Blu-Ray will be succesful. If it is succesful it's still not worth the price to me personally since, as I said, I'm still undecided. Personally I'd like to own an Xbox 360 AND a PS3, but for their asking prices, that's completely out of the question. $600 is definitely a lot of money if you're paying rent. For a lot of people in the city I live in, that's a full month's rent. Meaning you'll be paying that every month on top of taxes, gas, food, clothing, utilities, and other basic amenities. Hmmm, let's see... PS3, or rent... PS3 or CONTINUE TO LIVE IN MY HOUSE... New system which will be full of bugs and not have any interesting titles for at least 6 months (probably more), or SHELTER... Yeah, I think I'm gonna pick housing on that one...

Dreddz
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Sony dont expect you to live in a Bus Shelter, they arent surprised with everyones reactions to the price, they have said themselves that they only expect the hardcores to buy one at launch. They will cut the price in 2007 for all of the other gamers to buy one.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-10-2006, 09:36 PM

Erdrick Holmes
07-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I heard that the PS3's final release might be very limited since Blu Rays not only cost alot to make but the special parts to make the blue laser are hard as hell to find.

MageLuingil
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
The blue laser is just higher on the spectrum ... I don't see why it'd be so hard to make as that. Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about, so don't quote me on this.

atlanteay
07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
well one thing is for sure... no one likes the price
i can actually afford it but why would i want it when it first came out with few games, high price, and buggy version when i can wait and get the better versions, with lots of games, and cheaper

the sad thing is, a lot of people would still buy the ps3 and then sony won't need to drop their price much since many people are buying. If few people are buying, then they can drop the price sooner.

Samuraid
07-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Firmware technically lasts until the EEPROM/Flash onto which it is written wears out. :smash:

Sony is treading on a very fine line. One one side of things they could do exceptionally well in the console market with the PS3; on the other side, they could lose heavily.

DeathKnight
07-11-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm buying it with the warranty :plotting:

Can't wait to show off! :mwahaha:

fantasyjunkie
07-11-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm doing my best to consider that the Ps3 is cheap compared to what's in it, and to consider it a PC, but it isn't really helping. I'll buy one eventually anyway if it has a huge library as the Playstation 2 does. But I'm more excited for games coming out this generation than anything in the next.

The whole Blu-Ray thing just confuses me. Sony is acting like if I don't have Blu-Ray I'll wither away and die, and I could care less about it.
This is how I feel. Sony is tooting it's horn on how it's a good deal for $600 but I'm trying to support a wife and kid and regardless of how much of a bargain it is I jsut don't have $600. My wife is a Nintendo freak(her and her damn Animal Crossing:mad: ) so I will be getting her the Wii.

Roto13
07-11-2006, 02:58 AM
I won't be impressed.

DeathKnight
07-11-2006, 03:10 AM
I won't be impressed.

oh man!....see I knew that would happen.

Oh! oh! but I'm getting a Wii too!!!! NOW I can show off :plotting: :hat:

Del Murder
07-11-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm not spending $600 on a game system. With that I could buy a Game Cube with every single game I've ever wanted to play for it, and have money to spare. It seems as though Sony is pricing themselves out of the market, but this is their realm so I guess they know what they're doing.

Roto13
07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
They're taking advantage of the poor little DeathKnights of the world who don't seem to know any better.

MageLuingil
07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I know I'll be getting a PS3, but certainly not right off. They'll go down in price, as people have already said, and I'll be able to afford it then.

Lionx
07-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Personally, the biggest problem for me about the Blu-Ray, was that not many things use the Blu-Ray these days. CDs are still being used although slowly ever so little being replaced by DVD. However thats not the standard yet, no one is gonna put a Blu-Ray or even an HD-DVD in their computers for a long time, so they definetly arent the standard. The reason why no one was bothered too much by PS2 being DVD IMO was that it was that time for DVDs to emerge, but for me, i barely even heard of the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD myself as a standard commodity for computers...much less new movies.

That and what can you fit 50Gigs in? So far the MMORPG i play(FFXI) only fits ~7Gigs....why am i paying for something more when its not even going to be used for its full potential?

JKTrix
07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I came across this site today (through Kotaku) that seems to claim that the PS3 is cheaper than an iPod, or a PSP, or DS.
http://www.hiroiro.com/entry/63.html
Yeah, it's Japanese. Take a look at the chart there. It shows how much each system costs in yen...

...per kilogram.
The PS3 is 12,000 yen per kilogram, the X360 is 11,000 yen/kg. The PSP is a massive 71,000 yen/kg, and the DSlite is even *more* expensive at 77,000 yen/kg. The 60GB iPod video cashes in at 300,000 yen/kg.
Good thing the DS/PSP/iPod don't actually *weigh* a kilo. Gadzooks.

farplaner
07-13-2006, 02:57 AM
I came across this site today (through Kotaku) that seems to claim that the PS3 is cheaper than an iPod, or a PSP, or DS.
http://www.hiroiro.com/entry/63.html
Yeah, it's Japanese. Take a look at the chart there. It shows how much each system costs in yen...

...per kilogram.
The PS3 is 12,000 yen per kilogram, the X360 is 11,000 yen/kg. The PSP is a massive 71,000 yen/kg, and the DSlite is even *more* expensive at 77,000 yen/kg. The 60GB iPod video cashes in at 300,000 yen/kg.
Good thing the DS/PSP/iPod don't actually *weigh* a kilo. Gadzooks.

OK, so apparently the PS3 is really forking heavy!! :lol:

Mirage
07-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Or the PSP and iPod stupidly overpriced.

Malboro_Menace
07-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Here in Aus the PS2 was released at $749. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/soa/All_systems_go_for_PS2/0,39023165,20106969,00.htm)

The PS3 20GB is supposed to be $850 and the 60GB is supposed to be $999. I will be buying a 60GB PS3 but only when the price has gone to $500-550.

The price will go down. It always has. Its just a waiting game. I can handle 6-12 months of not having a PS3. Only the hardcores will buy it at launch.

"PlayStation already has a huge loyalty base in Australia with 1.5 million in Australian homes. However, sales of the original console did not pick up until the price dropped from its launch price of AU$699 to AU$299. "

EDIT: Thanks for that The Shoeless Hobo

The Shoeless Hobo
07-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Here in Aus the PS2 was released at $749. (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/soa/All_systems_go_for_PS2/0,39023165,20106969,00.htm)

The PS3 20GB is supposed to be $650 and the 60GB is supposed to be $850. I will be buying a 60GB PS3 but only when the price has gone to $500-550.

In Australia, it's actually going to cost $999 for the 60gb PS3 and $849 for the 20gb. See here: Games Wizards Australia. (http://gameswizards.com/content.aspx?pageid=141&dpt=11)

JKTrix
07-13-2006, 12:22 PM
You will be waiting a long....long time for it to drop under $600 Aus. Dollars. Definitely not 12 months.

I have more than enough right now in terms of games to tide me over for a long time. Unfortunately for me, I still get new games all the time. Either way, I have enough--between new games for my DS, PS2, 360 and eventually Wii--to tide me over until the games I want for PS3 come out.

Mirage
07-13-2006, 01:04 PM

The PS3 20GB is supposed to be $650 and the 60GB is supposed to be $850. I will be buying a 60GB PS3 but only when the price has gone to $500-550.

In Australia, it's actually going to cost $999 for the 60gb PS3 and $849 for the 20gb. See here: Games Wizards Australia. (http://gameswizards.com/content.aspx?pageid=141&dpt=11)
Ofcourse, because the Australian Dollar is less worth. It's the same as me complaining "lol it'll be 5000 NOK here".

DJZen
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm not spending $600 on a game system. With that I could buy a Game Cube with every single game I've ever wanted to play for it, and have money to spare. It seems as though Sony is pricing themselves out of the market, but this is their realm so I guess they know what they're doing.

I like the pet name PS3DO, personally. It seems fitting.

Roto13
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately for me, I still get new games all the time.
We should all have your problems.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh man.. I want PS3 solely for FF13. But then, hold on a second, when is PS3 coming out if FF13 FFXII is coming out Halloween in NA? The price is way too high, but hopefully my brother will buy it. He's already bought PS, PS2 and the portable. Just thought I would correct you.

Anyway, there is no freaking way I can justify paying $500-600 for a gaming system. No TV's on the market can support Blu-ray, and very few can support HD-DVD. I see no reason why to spend good money on a gaming system that isn't going to have anything interesting for at least half a year when I can buy a system that's nearly three times cheaper that will have interesting games at launch. I don't even have a job yet. I would probably have to fork over a full month's paycheck for a summer job for one. In short, I'm not getting one until it the PS3 sees a huge price drop (by huge, I mean at least $100).