PDA

View Full Version : Should Retro keep on making Metroid games?

KentaRawr!
07-10-2006, 05:56 AM
So, what do you think? I'll post my opinion on it once the topic starts rolling.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Prime games aren't real Metroid games, of course, but they're still fun as a series of side-stories that don't interact with the main story. The gameplay's pretty all right, too; I appreciate that they preserved the platforming aspect of the franchise instead of reducing it to just another FPS where all you do is shoot, shoot, shoot. My only complaint is that, when the shooting does get going, Samus feels like a total wuss. It shouldn't take ten missiles to kill one Space Pirate.

ljkkjlcm9
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Prime games aren't real Metroid games, of course, but they're still fun as a series of side-stories that don't interact with the main story. The gameplay's pretty all right, too; I appreciate that they preserved the platforming aspect of the franchise instead of reducing it to just another FPS where all you do is shoot, shoot, shoot. My only complaint is that, when the shooting does get going, Samus feels like a total wuss. It shouldn't take ten missiles to kill one Space Pirate.

Well samus can take a lot more damage then a space pirate can, and space pirates have their own protective gear on. But I very much enjoy these games. Retro should continue making them, and the 2-d versions should continue on the portable system at the very least. Even a side scroller with 3-d graphics could do well on the Wii. You can still have your Wii-mote aim up and down and shoot and the other thing move and jump, but not as a FP.

THE JACKEL

SeeDRankLou
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I like that games they've made so far. I say keep making them.

Prime games aren't real Metroid games, of course
How's that?

Cz
07-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I enjoy the Prime games very much, and the Gamecube titles are among the best games of this generation. The good thing is that while Retro have transformed the series on the home consoles, 2D games have continued to be released on Nintendo's handhelds, catering for those who don't like the change of direction. As long as both styles of game continue to be made, then I see no reason for the Prime series to be ended just yet.

Ryth
07-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Agreed.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
there already making 3

KentaRawr!
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
there already making 3

But after that, should they continue?

edczxcvbnm
07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I think they should continue. You are not going to get translation that is as good as Prime is. It was done very well. I have a few complaints though

1) Speed. The games move too slow and the lack of a run button/super speed boots brings the game down a bit.

2) Why are enemies(mainly space pirates) so damn strong. It should not take that many hits to kill them. They should be dropping like flies so to say.

ughhis
07-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I put my vote on "no", but if Corruption is fantastic they can continue.
It probably won't be though.

KentaRawr!
07-11-2006, 12:42 AM
I put my vote on "no", but if Corruption is fantastic they can continue.
It probably won't be though.

Why do you say that? o.o

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 12:57 AM
I think they should continue. You are not going to get translation that is as good as Prime is. It was done very well. I have a few complaints though

1) Speed. The games move too slow and the lack of a run button/super speed boots brings the game down a bit.

2) Why are enemies(mainly space pirates) so damn strong. It should not take that many hits to kill them. They should be dropping like flies so to say.

The speed booster wouldn't work nearly as well in a 3-D environment. In the 2-D games, you could only go in specific directions, primarily left and right. Open that up to the 3-D world, and if your aim was even slightly off you'd crash into a wall and ruin your boost.

Unless you're playing on hard mode, most enemies are pathetic. Most Pirates drop to a single Super-Missile, which I don't find too difficult to accept. The Dark creatures in Echoes stand up for all of about 2 seconds to the Light Beam.

DeathKnight
07-11-2006, 02:13 AM
THey're great! They embraced Metroid and its universe like feel GREATLY and I think they make the enviroments feel more alive and interesting than the SNES games...or CLOSE. But yeah, I'd like them to try making Metroid 2D with nice 3D graphics, get what I'm saying(it's also called 2.5 D ). So yeah, basically, a third person Metroid game with new costumes for Samus, that'd rock. I'm kinda worried that if they keep making these FPS-Metroid it might end up feeling like Perfect Dark:(

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2006, 03:53 AM

The speed booster wouldn't work nearly as well in a 3-D environment. In the 2-D games, you could only go in specific directions, primarily left and right. Open that up to the 3-D world, and if your aim was even slightly off you'd crash into a wall and ruin your boost.

Unless you're playing on hard mode, most enemies are pathetic. Most Pirates drop to a single Super-Missile, which I don't find too difficult to accept. The Dark creatures in Echoes stand up for all of about 2 seconds to the Light Beam.

I disagree with you about speed. The levels just have to be bigger overall with a smoother landscape for running. You are not thinking outside the box.

I disagree with you about the hits it takes to kill an enemy. Pirates should drop in a couple of normal shots and there should be way more of them. You only proved my point.

I forgot...combination beams. I want the Spazer, Wave, Ice and Charge beam all together. That is awesomeness and it wasn't in either Prime game. That would have evened up some of the enemy problems I had.

Markus. D
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
I loved Super Metroid the most.

I wouldnt mind a gamebube/wii/ds adaption of it, that game was perfection in every element of everything.

ljkkjlcm9
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I forgot...combination beams. I want the Spazer, Wave, Ice and Charge beam all together. That is awesomeness and it wasn't in either Prime game. That would have evened up some of the enemy problems I had.

From what I've read about Prime 3, they do just that, the beams do stack in the new game

THE JACKEL

Medi
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
The Prime games are pretty good, they do need to change some things as you all said. Pirates should be as easy to take down as they were in Super Metroid, with just 1-3 missles. Dashing should also be an ability, but not speed-boosting as Ed said. I also loved playing around with the beams in SM. It should be a bit easier to move around and avoid getting hit, IMO. The rest of it is great, and I am definitely looking forward to MP3:C. All in all, I prefer the sidescrollers, and I'm glad the Prime series is ending.

This thread made me want to use this Metroid sig lol

Edit: Seriously, ljkkjlcm9? Oh man, that makes me look forward to the next game so much more. I can't wait to mess around with the combos. Always something I've loved. :D

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2006, 04:26 PM

From what I've read about Prime 3, they do just that, the beams do stack in the new game

THE JACKAL

Thank God! Now all I need is my sonic the hedge speed shoes to move faster...or at least a run button.

KentaRawr!
07-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I heard that the Grapple Beam is stackable, though. o_O Thankfully, it's from an un-reliable source.

About whether or not Retro should keep on making Metroid games, I do believe they should. I am a big fan of the first two Prime games, and I'm really looking forward to 3. And ever since Gunpei Yokoi died, Nintendo Made Metroid Games seemed to stop being as... good. Not to say they are bad, but just not as good as Super Metroid. Retro seemed to really do very well with Metroid Prime. I hope they keep on making Metroid Games.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
And ever since Gunpei Yokoi died, Nintendo Made Metroid Games seemed to stop being as... good. Not to say they are bad, but just not as Super Metroid.The main creative mind behind Super Metroid was really Yoshio Sakamoto. I agree that Super Metroid was the pinnacle of the series, of course, but that most likely doesn't have too much to do with Yokoi's absence.

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 06:47 PM

I disagree with you about speed. The levels just have to be bigger overall with a smoother landscape for running. You are not thinking outside the box.

I disagree with you about the hits it takes to kill an enemy. Pirates should drop in a couple of normal shots and there should be way more of them. You only proved my point.

You complain about the game moving too slow, and your solution is to make the levels bigger... Isn't that a little counterproductive?

There are plenty of weak swarming enemies in the game as it is. By the time you get the Plasma/Anihillator Beam, you can mow through Pirates like they were nothing.

I concede the point on combo beams.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I do think Retro should keep working on the Metroid series. I don't see any reason to take away one of Nintendo's core franchises away from a company that really isn't screwing anything up about it. If Corruption sucks (which I pray it won't), I may change my mind, though.

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I do think Retro should keep working on the Metroid series. I don't see any reason to take away one of Nintendo's core franchises away from a company that really isn't screwing anything up about it. If Corruption sucks (which I pray it won't), I may change my mind, though.

So far, Corruption looks awesome. I just pray that Wii's stupid controller won't screw everything up. I loved Prime's controls. Prime is the only FPS I've ever really enjoyed, partially because of it's control scheme. I fear that the new Wii controller is going to ruin that... :(

JKTrix
07-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see Retro do something else for Nintendo after Corruption, instead of focusing totally on MP4. Even if it's a couple of 'Xbox Live Arcade'-type titles for WiiConnect24. I would love to see what else they could do, instead of being a one-trick pony.

If 'something else' sucks, they'll have Metroid to go back to.

Edit:--
About Metroid Prime 3's control, I read that you'll still be able to lock-on to enemies instead of having to freehand-aim everything. You have to lock-on to use the grapple beam and stuff.

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I'd like to see Retro do something else for Nintendo after Corruption, instead of focusing totally on MP4. Even if it's a couple of 'Xbox Live Arcade'-type titles for WiiConnect24. I would love to see what else they could do, instead of being a one-trick pony.

If 'something else' sucks, they'll have Metroid to go back to.

Edit:--
About Metroid Prime 3's control, I read that you'll still be able to lock-on to enemies instead of having to freehand-aim everything. You have to lock-on to use the grapple beam and stuff.

I have no trouble with Retro working on more than just Metroid Prime, I just hope that they don't stop making the Prime series while they work on their other projects. Of course, if my theories about Phazon are right, there should be at least a MP4 and 5 (maybe a 6, depending on how the plot of Corruption goes).

I'm glad about the lock on, but I hope I will be able to use a normal controller with an analog stick instead of their light gun controller.

Also, I wish they'd release Super Metroid for the GBA.

Shoeberto
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd like to see Retro do something else. I'm in love with the MP series, of course, but I'm really curious as to what else they'd be able to pump out. Since they've made it big, they've really just been limited to this one series.

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
You complain about the game moving too slow, and your solution is to make the levels bigger... Isn't that a little counterproductive?

Big levels for speed isn't counter productive if you have a running ability from the start to make everything the same speed initially then add super speed to get through everything that much faster. Bigger for speed isn't necessarily counter productive.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Of course, if my theories about Phazon are right, there should be at least a MP4 and 5 (maybe a 6, depending on how the plot of Corruption goes).What's your theory? They've already said that MP3 is going to explain the origins of Phazon and prettymuch resolve everything.
Also, I wish they'd release Super Metroid for the GBA.Putting Super Metroid on the GBA would involve compromising the graphics, sound, and controls of the game. It's good enough that they're putting it on the Virtual Console.

Ashley Schovitz
07-11-2006, 09:49 PM
The metroid games arepretty fun The should have Samus in her zero suit form where is that from anyway?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
The Zero Suit appeared in Metroid Zero Mission and then again in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Of course, if my theories about Phazon are right, there should be at least a MP4 and 5 (maybe a 6, depending on how the plot of Corruption goes).What's your theory? They've already said that MP3 is going to explain the origins of Phazon and prettymuch resolve everything.
Also, I wish they'd release Super Metroid for the GBA.Putting Super Metroid on the GBA would involve compromising the graphics, sound, and controls of the game. It's good enough that they're putting it on the Virtual Console.

Phazon is a biological weapon. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the planets it hit were the strongholds of some of the most powerful races in the galaxy. I think it was fired at them on purpose. And, from the Luminoth Lore entry "Origins", we know that there are at least two more such species, the N'kren and the Vlla. I think it is reasonable to expect that their worlds have also been attacked by Phazon, or will be in the near future. That's two more games right there, with a final one to journey to the planet that is the source of Phazon.

Also, I think that a Phazon meteor may have struck SR388 at some point. This is due to my observations of Metroid Prime and Dark Samus. Both of those creatures were pure Phazon entities in their final form, and both seemed to be tied to the Phazon that was infecting the world. Metroid Prime was the source of Phazon on Talon IV, and Dark Samus seemed to control most of the Phazon on Aether by the end of the game. I think that the Phazon entity is a chameleonic warrior. It first struck SR388, but was defeated by the Metroids (which were genetically engineered by the Chozo to defeat a different threat, the X virus, as we learned in Fusion). It then absorbed the genetic information of Metroids, and took on the form of the Worm, Metroid Prime. This entity was defeated by Samus, and it then absorbed her genetic material and became Dark Samus. It attempts to become stronger and stronger by absorbing whatever defeated it. Since Samus has defeated it twice, it's form is still that of Dark Samus, as we saw at the end of Echoes.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Phazon is a biological weapon. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the planets it hit were the strongholds of some of the most powerful races in the galaxy. I think it was fired at them on purpose. And, from the Luminoth Lore entry "Origins", we know that there are at least two more such species, the N'kren and the Vlla. I think it is reasonable to expect that their worlds have also been attacked by Phazon, or will be in the near future. That's two more games right there, with a final one to journey to the planet that is the source of Phazon.Uhm, it's also been stated that Metroid Prime 3 will take place across multiple planets.

Skyblade
07-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Phazon is a biological weapon. I don't think that it is a coincidence that the planets it hit were the strongholds of some of the most powerful races in the galaxy. I think it was fired at them on purpose. And, from the Luminoth Lore entry "Origins", we know that there are at least two more such species, the N'kren and the Vlla. I think it is reasonable to expect that their worlds have also been attacked by Phazon, or will be in the near future. That's two more games right there, with a final one to journey to the planet that is the source of Phazon.Uhm, it's also been stated that Metroid Prime 3 will take place across multiple planets.

I didn't know that. Oh well. It was only a theory...