PDA

View Full Version : So SONY made the Matrix!

KentaRawr!
07-10-2006, 06:19 AM
IMAGINE movies and computer games in which you get to smell, taste and perhaps even feel things. That's the tantalising prospect raised by a patent on a device for transmitting sensory data directly into the human brain - granted to none other than the entertainment giant Sony.

The technique suggested in the patent is entirely non-invasive. It describes a device that fires pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify firing patterns in targeted parts of the brain, creating "sensory experiences" ranging from moving images to tastes and sounds. This could give blind or deaf people the chance to see or hear, the patent claims.

While brain implants are becoming increasingly sophisticated, the only non-invasive ways of manipulating the brain remain crude. A technique known as transcranial magnetic stimulation can activate nerves by using rapidly changing magnetic fields to induce currents in brain tissue. However, magnetic fields cannot be finely focused on small groups of brain cells, whereas ultrasound could be.

If the method described by Sony really does work, it could have all sorts of uses in research and medicine, even if it is not capable of evoking sensory experiences detailed enough for the entertainment purposes envisaged in the patent.
“This was a prophetic invention. It was based on an inspiration that this may someday be the direction technology takes us”

Details are sparse, and Sony declined New Scientist's request for an interview with the inventor, who is based in its offices in San Diego, California. However, independent experts are not dismissing the idea out of hand. "I looked at it and found it plausible," says Niels Birbaumer, a pioneering neuroscientist at the University of Tübingen in Germany who has created devices that let people control devices via brain waves.

The application contains references to two scientific papers presenting research that could underpin the device. One, in an echo of Galvani's classic 18th-century experiments on frogs' legs that proved electricity can trigger nerve impulses, showed that certain kinds of ultrasound pulses can affect the excitability of nerves from a frog's leg. The author, Richard Mihran of the University of Colorado, Boulder, had no knowledge of the patent until New Scientist contacted him, but says he would be concerned about the proposed method's long-term safety.

Sony first submitted a patent application for the ultrasound method in 2000, which was granted in March 2003. Since then Sony has filed a series of continuations, most recently in December 2004 (US 2004/267118).

Elizabeth Boukis, spokeswoman for Sony Electronics, says the work is speculative. "There were not any experiments done," she says. "This particular patent was a prophetic invention. It was based on an inspiration that this may someday be the direction that technology will take us."

Look at the first paragraph. >_> Well, I guess we'll be in the Matrix by the time the Playstation 5 comes out.

What do you guys think of this?

Xaven
07-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Um, yeah. At a glance, this seems to have a ton of potential. I hope this sees widespread use in my youth (< 30). :3

Nasarian Altimeros
07-10-2006, 06:26 AM
"lol"

Thats what I think of it

Shoeberto
07-10-2006, 06:26 AM
I think this was announced like a year ago? I don't remember real well.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-10-2006, 06:27 AM
<a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=59769">Sup 2005</a>?

krayziesaiko
07-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Uh-Oh. I'm really scared now. How many years before we are all mind controlled by the government?

black orb
07-10-2006, 08:28 AM
>>> lol, It sounds exactly like the wacky "The Lawnmower Man" theory way back in 1992, but here they are using magnetic fields instead of VR and neotropic drugs..:D

fantasyjunkie
07-11-2006, 02:30 AM
will there be a red and blue pill?

NorthernChaosGod
07-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Haha, oh man. The uses that I could come up with for that kind of technology......

KentaRawr!
07-11-2006, 03:21 AM

Actually the there will be two pills each with two colors. One is red and blue, and the other is yellow and green. The first one helps get rid of gas problems, and the other one is lime flavored.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-11-2006, 03:38 AM

Actually the there will be two pills each with two colors. One is red and blue, and the other is yellow and green. The first one helps get rid of gas problems, and the other one is lime flavored.
Hah! What will the lime flavored one do? Just be full of lime-ey goodness? Or are there other things? :p

Zeromus_X
07-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Interesting.

Erdrick Holmes
07-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Oh man, now I can get laid.

feona17
07-11-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh man, now I can get laid.

You... made my day. :D

Anyway, yeah, as much as the movie was awesome, what actually took place was pretty horrible.

LunarWeaver
07-11-2006, 05:01 AM
If it's from Sony it will probably cost my soul and then break.

Shaun
07-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Nothing like this will happen in our lifetime.

Shoden
07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Nothing like this will happen in our lifetime.

That depends on if Sony can be arsed.

Shaun
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Not really. It depends on whether technology itself will move onto that level and I personally see it as being highly unlikely.

Shoden
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
It's not all that unlikely 20-70 years will be enough time I would say. Technology advances all the time, think of the jump from PS2 to PS3 technological wise.

Shaun
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
There's not a great difference really, other than visuals, in my opinion. Nintendo is the company who own that department. All I can really see new with the PS3's games, would be enhanced visuals, and their rip-off of the Wii controller. Nothing revolutionary.

p.s. So you're Shoden now? Why not Sladen?

Shoden
07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I changed it back. There's a big difference between the Wii's horizontal, rectangluar shaped, NES-like controller and the PS3's for one and if you look at things like Microsoft who have all the techy stuff but never use it and put it in for show, it's not all that far away for something explained as simple as that.

Shaun
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I think the shape of the controllers is irrelevant. The concept is still the same; they have motion sensors which will be used in gameplay - in most games for the Wii - and in some games for the PS3.

It's not Microsoft who hasn't put the hardware to show. It's the developers.