PDA

View Full Version : Syd Barrett dies

Cz
07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Sad news. (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-07-11T143155Z_01_L11366327_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BARRETT.xml) :(

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Seems as though he's at that Great Gig in the Sky now.
It had to be said.

But yeah, sad news.

~SapphireStar~
07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
60s no age, thats so sad, but at least he had the life that millions of people wanted.

Mythra
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
While I prefer the bands later work, (Dark Side and after) his influence helped to contribute to the band's sound today. I thank him for helping to found the band that is quite possibly my favorite band of all time, and whose music have gotten me through some tough times.

Yamaneko
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I just heard about this on the news this morning. It's a truely a sad moment in music for the rest of us. Syd was probably one of the brightest young musicians of his time and he will be missed.

Psychotic
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
RIP Syd.

A couple of years ago I dreamed I was haunted by the ghost of Syd Barrett. A fairly random comment to make, I suppose, but it's always disturbed me.

SammieBabe
07-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Just two lost souls in a fishbowl....

We'll miss you...

Hawkeye
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I just read this on yahoo music. RIP Syd. :(

Slade
07-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh my god I never realized...I've been sick for about 3 days and havn't been on the net. This is truly sad news :(

Shine On from above, Syd...

escobert
07-12-2006, 06:33 AM
This is very sad indeed. :( RIP Syd.

Brian The Pink Shark
07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Twas sad when i heard the news yesterday (having only bought the new Floyd Dvd 2 hours beforehand )

Syd will be sadly missed he was a genius in his own special way (i hope to use his song "Bike" to propose one day :p )

I am rather amazed at the news coverage that there has been of his death considering he was only in the band for a small percentage of the band's life, but he did name them so that deserves credit :choc:

Resha
07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I never even realised, and yeah. :/ Sad.

Seems as though he's at that Great Gig in the Sky now.
It had to be said.

It was the thing to be said! And I hope he has fun there.

theundeadhero
07-13-2006, 05:48 AM
I heard about it on the radio yesterday. They kept calling him Rock N Rolls greatest acid casualty. Stupid radio :( The man was a genius of his time making music based on psychadelic projections played on the wall, and one of the first to use a zippo to play slide guitar.

GhandiOwnsYou
07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
He was rock's greatest acid casualty. Ever since just before he left floyd, he's been literally insane. He'll be found wandering through parks, not knowing who he is or why he's there, or cooking himself fifteen breakfasts that he never eats. Just continually, cook eggs bacon and toast, put them on a plate, set them at the table with a glass of orange juice, and then cook the exact same thing again. Then, just like that, he'd be fine again.

The man built pink floyd, made floyd what it was, and was largely photocopied into his later works. it's been well stated many times that that guitar on floyd is not Dave Gilmours natural style, but rather as good a copy as he could muster of Barrets. honestly though, it was his time to go, honestly it's about 30 years too late. He's been largely out of it for years now, and eternally hassled by reporters he doesn't want. because of what the drugs did to his psyche, he doesn't ever want to acknowledge his time in floyd anymore, and would frequently become violently angry if it was brought up.

God bless Syd, at least he's sane now, wherever he is. Anything is better than where he was. his is one of the saddest storys of rock and roll i've personally ever heard.

Rocket Edge
07-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Don't know who the guy was but 60 is a young age to die. rip

Brian The Pink Shark
07-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't know who the guy was but 60 is a young age to die. rip

he was the original Guitarist and singer in Pink Floyd, he wrote many of their original tracks and gave the band they're name :choc:

Shine On...
08-19-2006, 05:59 AM
One of the best things to happen to rock and roll, gone...

I thought it'd be a SIN for me to not post in this thread even if it was old...