PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana was freaking AWESOME

Kuzotz
07-12-2006, 05:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axBr6y0EggU&search=nirvana%20top%20pops

true rebels!!!

IF anyone remembers this then have a great laugh man. Thisis why I like Nirvana.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2006, 06:39 AM
I always HATED Nirvana with a passion, but I will say that was pretty funny.

Kuzotz
07-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I always HATED Nirvana with a passion, but I will say that was pretty funny.
Yeah Nirvana took a piss on top of the pop show..

That show use to make bands fake playing their instruments while singing to their songs to fool everyone.

Hambone
07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
I liked them for about 2 months a while back. I can't stand them now.

boris no no
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I remember watching that on tv when it came out. Now I must have been only like 7 or something but I remember thinking they were funny :D
I've always like Nirvana for their music, yeah the rebel thing was cool when I was 13 or so. They'll always be the band people generally first get into when they start listening to rock.

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Nirvana:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

and they're not true rebels.

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 01:42 PM
OMFG. Cant stand Nirvana at all.

Chris
07-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I like "All Apologies" but that is all.

Meat Puppet
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
I didn't pay enough attention to them when they were around to have any idea how good or bad they were as a band. I have absolutely no perspective on how big they were or how they changed lives (I got the changing lives thing from a magazine). I do like listening to a Nirvana album every now and again, though.

bipper
07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
holy crap. Nirvana rawked. I don't see where all the hate comes from; they had a lot of great music that was emotional and well written, usually all at once. Prehapse they were a little before your time(S)? Thier later stuff started to slide, but all in all, they remain a legend in my mind.

escobert
07-12-2006, 07:12 PM
holy crap. Nirvana rawked. I don't see where all the hate comes from; they had a lot of great music that was emotional and well written, usually all at once. Prehapse they were a little before your time(S)? Thier later stuff started to slide, but all in all, they remain a legend in my mind.
I agree right there. It's a cool thing now to hate Nirvana it seems.

kikimm
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Oh man I love their later stuff. I love how they evolved. It's horrible, to hear songs like On A Mountain/You Know You're Right, and think about what could have been. :( So yeah, one of my favourite bands and all that good stuff. Even though I know none of them personally, they all seem like really great guys too, and that's important to me.

Argh.

Psychotic
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I really like Nirvana and their music, and they're one of my favourite bands, but to call them rebels sounds ridiculous to me. I don't care whether they revolutionised this, that or the other, or were a life-changing experience for some rebellious teenager, I just like their sound. As for this video, they're just having a laugh really, and good on them, because Top of the Pops is awful.
It's a cool thing now to hate Nirvana it seems.Yup. Give it a couple of years and it'll be cool to like them again. ROCK ON! :rolleyes2

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 07:46 PM
*laughs at all of you who like Nirvana* :laugh:

theundeadhero
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I think to truly remember what kind of rebel Kurt was you would have to think about back when he used to spraypaint God is Gay on the sides of peoples trucks or shoot B.B.s at the bank window from his apartment window.

Venom
07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I dont like Nirvana.

AdVenT
07-12-2006, 09:06 PM
How can you not like Nirvana?! They were awesome!:eek:

Venom
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
How can you not like Nirvana?! They were awesome!:eek:

Not my style.

AdVenT
07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
meh, in my opinion they rock'd... well people have different opionions I guess...

Psychotic
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
*laughs at all of you who like Nirvana* :laugh:Hahaha yeah! Look at those people! They take pleasure in something that DeathKnight doesn't like! What a bunch of complete suckers! :laugh: :hahaha: :chuckle: :lol: :goofy: :whoa: :fencing:

AdVenT
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
OMG what a kiss a$$!

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 09:40 PM
OMG what a kiss a$$!
What? Your taking the mickey out of a Knight, nice knowing you.

Psychotic
07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that Psychotic is such a suck up. Not like you, AdVenT. You're wonderful :love:

AdVenT
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Not Knight, Psychotic, im callin him a kis a$$. Anyway Nirvana were awesome as I said.

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Not Knight, Psychotic, im callin him a kis a$$.
Psychotic is a Knight. A Knight is a Mod, they can ban you. Lets hope they will :)
And Nirvana still suck IMO.

Captain Maxx Power
07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I've always prefered Alice in Chans to Nirvana. Plus I think Kurt was a bit of a pompous douche.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Well I still they suck. And no it's not because it was before my time. I like alot of music that was actually before my time like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, et al. I just think Nirvana sucked, big time. I hate everything about them.

I've always prefered Alice in Chans to Nirvana. Plus I think Kurt was a bit of a pompous douche.
That's because Alice in Chains is actually good. :cool:

farplaner
07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
I liked Nirvana. Once you get past the fact that Kobain couldn't sing there is a lot of good music in their library. Alice in Chains is equally as good...especially if you feel like joining Layne Staley (I probably butchered his name) in abyssmal depression.

My comments may sound snide, but I am genuinely a fan of both bands...facts are facts, though: Kobain couldn't sing and Staley was an emotional wreck....now they're both gone :cry:

Kuzotz
07-13-2006, 04:44 AM
Not Knight, Psychotic, im callin him a kis a$$.
Psychotic is a Knight. A Knight is a Mod, they can ban you. Lets hope they will :)
And Nirvana still suck IMO.

so you suck up o them by saying nirvana sucks lol

anyway yeah Nirvana was an awesome band

I like that song

You Know You're Right

I Took the Red Pill
07-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Nirvana kicked ass, and even though Kurt wrote his songs out of key (:confused:) it still worked.

Courtney killed Kurt

Endless
07-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Nirvana will always have a special place in my heart. About the video, I already saw it, it's on the "Live! Tonight! Sold Out!" video.

Shiny
07-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Courtney killed Kurt
Kurt was "emo", Kurt was a druggie, Kurt was musician, Kurt commited suicide. Courtney is crazy; murderer not so much. I was never in to Nirvana that much, but a couple of their songs were okay.

escobert
07-13-2006, 07:41 AM
It's a fact there was too much heroin in his syste, for him to kill himself, also the gun that was used to kill him he would have had to have liek 5 foot arms or something to pull the trigger. Also Courtney said she had searched the ENTIRE house and couldn't find him, yet he was found by a electrician or something in one fo the rooms. A little strange to me...

Kuzotz
07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Courtney killed Kurt
Kurt was "emo", Kurt was a druggie, Kurt was musician, Kurt commited suicide. Courtney is crazy; murderer not so much. I was never in to Nirvana that much, but a couple of their songs were okay.
Kurt was grunge...

Captain Maxx Power
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Kurt was grunge...

Actually if you were to ask Kurt himself, he'd have probably said he was Punk. Throughout Nirvana's career, Kurt was adamant that they were really just a Punk band, and hated the label of Grunge. He did have a lot of roots in classic rock, and would quite often refer back to The Beatles in terms of where he wanted to go with his career. He was always threatening to make his "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, i.e. an album that would be completely different from their previous work.

And I don't think Kurt couldn't sing. He was a very competant singer (just check out their Unplugged stuff to see just how good he could be), it's just that he generally didn't like performing, or as has been said really didn't care, so would often put no effort into his singing. To me that's just laziness. Infact, strictly speaking, Kurt was pretty condascending to his fans, and most likely hated a large majority of them. He really wasn't made to be "popular", and expressed a distaste as to the number of people, and the type, who liked Nirvana. At times it was almost as if he was purposefully sabotaging the band to try and remove himself from the "scenesters" and the like.

~SapphireStar~
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
so you suck up o them by saying nirvana sucks lol
Eh, no. I previously said Nirvana sucked before any of the Knights posted.

OMFG. Cant stand Nirvana at all.

escobert
07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, we get it you don't like Nirvana. Need you post that here 40 times?

marc
07-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Sepiroth killed Kurt

DeathKnight
07-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Yes! :irked: It has to be done! We need to unveil the crappiness of this band :plotting:

~SapphireStar~
07-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I posted that for a reason Bert. It was to show I wasnt a kiss arse like someone said I was. And you must have some bizzare mathmatcics cause I only posted it twice.

$howBiz
07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Nirvana= Heaven Thatz All I Haf To Say Bout Them :) & thatz what it meanz :)

Venom
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM

Yes! :irked: It has to be done! We need to unveil the crappiness of this band :plotting:

Just cause you dont like them doesnt mean they suck.

DeathKnight
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Yeah, but I was recently ranked up to Cid's Judge, so yeah, if I don't like something it sucks, big time :plotting:

marc
07-13-2006, 10:06 PM
<!--

Yeah, but I was recently ranked up to Cid's Judge, so yeah, if I don't like something it sucks, big time :plotting:

I think the name deathknight sucks.
And you don't need to be in a position of authority to notice that.

Please tell me that the name was a joke.
But judgeing by your sig, I doubt it.-->

You know better than to post crap like this. I'd suggest that you stop if you want to stick around.

~Void

Shiny
07-13-2006, 10:20 PM
It's a fact there was too much heroin in his syste, for him to kill himself, also the gun that was used to kill him he would have had to have liek 5 foot arms or something to pull the trigger. Also Courtney said she had searched the ENTIRE house and couldn't find him, yet he was found by a electrician or something in one fo the rooms. A little strange to me...
It's possible for a person to kill themselves with large amounts of drug subtances in their system. It's been done before. However, I did always find it odd that he was able to shoot himself in the face with a large weapon. But, that also could have been done. He could have used is feet...but then again we'll never know. :plotting:

Shoden
07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I mean no offence here DK so relax after reading this, take a deep breath and read it. These guys were an amazing band, not many great songs but they have a legendery status in rock and roll and metal. Just because you don't like these guys doesn't mean they're crap you know, I don't like them either but I know for a fact that these guys worked hard and have did some decent music that some people love, you don't have to like a band to recognise they have amazing talent. Cid's Judge? First time I heard of that status, hehehehehe, tell me more sometime. I know Nirvana are a good band who kept their ego's in control and kept playing the music they wanted, that's part of what makes a band good. To be honest I hardly know sod all about 'em nor like them but I know they're goood from what I hear. They're not the worst band out there. weird Al Yankovich's Smells like Nirvana was legendary too. You have to hear that. (and watch the vid). To settle things here they're not all that great but not all that bad either, thank you very much, good night ladies and gentlemen. *bows*.

Venom
07-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Kurt Kobain was a pretty good guitarist too.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Ok, Nirvana sucked, big time. The only reason they are as popular as they is because Kurt went and killed himself (I do believe he killed himself).

I will concede that the lyrics were pretty heartfelt and emotional, but other than that the music sucked. I have heard much better playing from Dave, and even he seemed to be a better guitarist than Kurt. Actually whatever, I don't need to explain myself, Nirvana sucked, end of story.

I Took the Red Pill
07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
The only reason they are as popular as they is because Kurt went and killed himself. Well I don't believe he killed himself but I'm not going to argue with you on that. They were very much popular before he died. Nirvana was grunge (no matter if Kurt believed it or not) and Grunge and the whole Seattle scene were taking the music world by storm. If you remember MTV's Nirvana Unplugged it was one of the most critically acclaimed and was extremely popular. Not to mention Nevermind's explosive popularity among US teens who could more easily identify with Nirvana's lyrics and sound than with anything else up to that point in their lives. Sure Kurt's death attracted a lot of media attention, but it wasn't the only factor to their success.

Fuego
07-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Your soo funny your only 23 ... ahead of your time (?)
i don't think u have earn'd the right to say that . you'd have been 12 when kurt shot himself ... i was 11 . (April 4, 1994)
they came out in 1987 and Nevermind was in 1991 .
their music was good don't get me wrong ... but they weren't as big until right after he killed his self in '94 ... and then every body and their dog was a "Huge Nirvana fan since they started and knew how to play every song and owned every album ..." And Nirvana was Grunge .

bipper
07-29-2006, 02:16 AM
I practically grew up with Nirvana as my best friend always pumped thier music. Either way, grunge had its hey day during the early 90s, in which I was already quite planted in my musical tastes, thank you very much. Also, besides Nirvana, you have Local H, Candlebox, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam. Gurnge was my music. It later died into alternative as the Big 4 (minus nirvana) moved that way themselves. Now that sound has evolved into my favorite style of Rock featuring Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed. Lyrically driven rock with grunge roots and alternative melodies are about the best sounds you cen get out of a speaker.

Besides, I will admit they were slightly before my time, but I had the influence of people about 2 to 6 years older than me constantly rubbing off on me. Therefore, I loved what they loved as it grew on me.

I was never into metalica though, I was just influenced by them, not brain washed :D And yes, I listened to megadeath since I was about 7 years (?) old. Right around in there.

Bipper

Fuego
07-29-2006, 02:52 AM
*holds his sides from splitting*
i have actually followed the band since they debuted ... (pre~bleach -somethin- in '88 with Love Buzz and Big Cheese) come to think of it wasn't an original ... the vinal was colored ... anyway ... i gave it to my sister cause she loves them soo much...
i was 6 years old and listening to all that (Bless's his family of rockers and punks)
anyway power too you and no need to be soo defensive, i was just pointing out a fact ... i didn't say you couldn't possibly like them, just that 'before your time' coming from someone who was like 10 (at the time) .... all i can do is laugh ... i can't stop long enough to attach a word to it !

bipper
07-29-2006, 02:58 AM
yer mock laughing at me and you then tell me to not get defensive... that does not bode well. Anyways, If I was afluent in the music (not from thier get go - but during thier time) how do I not have a right to say before your time> Hell I can say elvis was before someone's time. I just don't get your line of ridicule.

Bipper

eestlinc
07-29-2006, 02:58 AM
I never have been a huge Nirvana fan but they were pretty good. I like Come As You Are and a couple other songs. So many of my friends in middle school LOVED them, though.

Fuego
07-29-2006, 03:22 AM
yer mock laughing at me and you then tell me to not get defensive... that does not bode well. Anyways, If I was afluent in the music (not from thier get go - but during thier time) how do I not have a right to say before your time> Hell I can say elvis was before someone's time. I just don't get your line of ridicule.

Bipper
I am not ridiculing you ... its just my opinion (remember that pls) that to say that very comment before your time ... means (to me) that you were maybe, an adult at that time ... and not a pre-teen ... its pretentious .
it'd be like i am 10 and telling a 30 year old that elvis is before their time (regardless if i am versed in their career or not) ... can you see how rediculous that sounds ? so i appoligize for laughing at the comment ... but thats just me ...

Quote "i didn't say you couldn't possibly like them, just that 'before your time' coming from someone who was like 10 (at the time) .... all i can do is laugh ... i can't stop long enough to attach a word to it !"
and i didn't say you couldn't be affluent in their music or their career or anything like that ...

Nominus Experse
07-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I enjoy Nirvana myself, but I find Alice in Chains, as Maxx Power mentioned, much, much better.

There is one thing about Nirvana I loathe, though, and that is this: they are overplayed and subsequently overpraised. They are alright, and sometimes they really do shine, but there are others that are so much better.

Rostum
07-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Nirvana were okay. I like Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam a hell of a lot better though.

NorthernChaosGod
08-06-2006, 06:04 AM
I really don't know why everyone brings Alice in Chains into a conversation about Nirvana. Alice in Chains was much more metal than grunge.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Nirvana was always cool to listen to for me. I never really listened to Alice In Chains but I plain on to, and I do like Soundgarden but Nirvana were and still are the leaders of grunge. Grunge would have never been the same without them. They sound different than most other bands in that gender because they had like an ounce of hardcore punk sense to them.

bipper
08-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Æ¿æƒ2

It is simple really Alice n Chains sat atop the grunge throne along with the other members of Seatle's "Big Four": Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Soundgarden all rallied the top of the Grunge scene and reigned undesputed kings of grunge. Late bands like Candlebox would try to scrap of the charisma and flare that Seatle and the big four poured into the grunge story.

Bipper

Moon Rabbits
08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
The title of this thread is:

False.

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2006, 07:00 AM
But Alice in Chains was not grunge. They were just unfortunate to come out during the time and area of grunge.

bipper
08-07-2006, 07:46 AM
YEah, I will agree that they are very much more metal, but they just hang around the wrong crowd :) It is much like Blink 182, wtf are they? A punk band that pulls out with a "Best Pop Album"? It would seem that the public preception really pits a lot of genres in different categories.

farplaner
08-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Blink 182 belongs in the "crap" genre. It's true, the idea of genres really throws a lot of music together creating what becomes a really LUMPY GRAVY! ...never pleasing to the pallet.

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2006, 05:31 PM
YEah, I will agree that they are very much more metal, but they just hang around the wrong crowd
Exactly. :cool:

I Am Stoner
08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Blink 182 are whats known as "Popular Culture Music" or Pop, they are not punk, they are not rock they are in it for the money, which most pop groups are, so they don't deserve a mention. The sound of thier name makes me cringe, I don't know how I manged to write thier name. Please do not mention them again, they make me feel sick.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Remember in Father Ted, when Dougal mentioned Kurt Cobain?

:D

Alive-Cat
08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Nirvana were my favourite band since I was born until I was about eleven or so. I say when I was born, I mean, babies can't think, but my brother used to always play them, so by the time I was old enough to think semi-rationally Nirvana were my favourite band. Basically, there was never a day when I said, "Nirvana are my favourite band" out of the blue, it had just always been that way.
But now I'm pretty much into other things!
But I'm planning to listen to the "In Utero" album again one of these days. :excited:

I Am Stoner
08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Nirvana are good. I like Nirvana, but my taste in music has changed over the years, like my friends. There cover of david bowie's "Man Who Sold the World" was a class cover. Also dave ghroll has aspired to be a pretty damn good drummer. Listen to him on the queens of the stoneage album. Damn pot, smoking that stuff made me lose some of my memory, I can't remember what album it is.

Spiffing Cheese
08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
I like Nirvana. Not really one of my favourites, but I'll listen to them now and then.

Drift
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
nirvana are over rated

Alive-Cat
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I will have to thank this thread for encouraging me to listen to In Utero again. Nirvana are one of my favourite bands again. :bigsmile:

BizarroSephiroth
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Nirvana kicked ass! I liked em alot. Too bad Kurt Cobain committed suicide, he rocked.