PDA

View Full Version : The Lord of the Flies

bipper
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
So I just got done listening to "The Lord of the Flies" and I must say it has got to be one of my favorite; if not my favorite story.

The premise is so simple, and the events that occur are so ... feasible, that the story seems to peer right through the facade of what we are; of our individualistic appraisals of our selves and each other. Deep down, we are the same consistent machines. The book tears at your mind as though it were a truth, but one that no human wants to confess.

infact; this is bringing me to a EoEo topic. That aside, what do you [people whom have read the book, or experienced other related media] think of the story? What thoughts does it produce in your head?

Bipper

Zeromus_X
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I read it, and besides it's 'symbolism' and 'themes' and what-have-you, I honestly thought it was the most boring book I've ever read. I don't really know what's so appealing about it, so meh. Just because it's loaded with symbolism and a 'deeper meaning' doesn't necessarily make it more interesting, to me.

Roto13
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I remember most of my friends reading it in high school. I took a better lit course than they did, so I didn't read it. I remember them talking about "Piggy" a lot...

bipper
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, piggy. I <3 him. Prehaps the greatest symbol of the story, next to Jack and Ralph.

I don't think it is the best read as Zernormous_X pointed out, because I get caught up in the british wording, and the detail tends to go overboard. the satirical symbolism is hardly the key to the story though; there is a blantant surface lesson, that touches too many surfaces to count. The upfrontness and yet oblivious depth of the novel gained it my respects.

Arrianna
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Really? I found it a dead bore. I have a friend that loved it though. He likes stories where people die.

Really when you get down to it situations like the ones in the book bring out peoples true nature. If they are good people they will work together for the common good. If they are selfish they will look out for themselves. It is that simple. The interesting part is that it really did happen during WWII and the school children not only didn't fall apart into choas and destruction but set up a perfectly well behaved little society at a time when the rest of the world was going to heck. So I guess someone in the English school system had done their job right. ;)

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I didnt like it, I prefered the film. There was too much description for me and not enough dialogue. Im sure Golding is a great writer, but LOTFs put me off looking into his other works. Plus I wasnt use to reading long texts when I was 14 and I hate being forced to read. If I read it myself in my own time and abit older, who knows I may have enhoyed it more.

Rye
07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't like Golding's writing style, but the story behind the book was decent. I would have liked it if a different person wrote it.

Cz
07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
The majority of people I talk to seem to loathe Lord of the Flies, but personally I thought it was a great book. It's one of those stories that some people just don't get, I think.

Reine
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Beelzebub

edczxcvbnm
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
This book was terrible. I don't understand why it is considered to be great on any level. As a back up to my statement, seeing as how I don't read books, my brother who is in college and his major is English lit...completely agrees with me. That validates my claim that this books sucks. He said it was the worst book he ever read until he read the true horror of Moby Dick(very good at points but trash during the rest).

Ouch!
07-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I had to read it twice for school. Once in seventh sixth grade and another freshman year. It's absolutely atrocious.

starseeker
07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
I hate it because it was my GCSE English Literature prose text. My english teacher had a gift of ruining books.

kikimm
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, the English teacher I had when I read it wasn't very good at teachung us the book, but I was still able to appreciate it. I didn't like it at first, because I resent being forced to read a book, but I warmed up to it. Simon will always be my favourite. :heart:

That had better be his name. It's been awhile.

Hambone
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I read the book. It's really overated. Why did Piggy have to die!? :cry:

Kuzotz
07-13-2006, 04:52 AM
I hate it because it was my GCSE English Literature prose text. My english teacher had a gift of ruining books.
Wow I read it my senior year of highschool and man my English teacher was the best.

Awesome lectures, and exspects you to get involved.

We literally broke down the book it was pretty good.

Slade
07-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I studies it in 6th form English and loved it. I also watched the movie afterwards, it wasn't as good as the book, but was still pretty cool.

I Took the Red Pill
07-13-2006, 05:35 AM
I read the book first then saw the black and white movie which was pretty good, but I liked the book so much better. There's so much stuff I probably missed in the first read through, so I'm going to have to read it again.

bipper
07-13-2006, 06:32 AM
The majority of people I talk to seem to loathe Lord of the Flies, but personally I thought it was a great book. It's one of those stories that some people just don't get, I think.

I so agree with this. As per the writing style, I think if you over analyze while reading (as many do with this book) you loose yourself in the simplicity and exactness of the descpritions. You really have to let your mind go to enjoy any of Golding's works. He is a very gifted and talented man.

Wow I read it my senior year of highschool and man my English teacher was the best.

Awesome lectures, and exspects you to get involved.

We literally broke down the book it was pretty good.

I think that was my favorite part of the story. It is what it is, and yet a speculative glance can really reveal so many layers. So many other 'pop' books use obvious symbolism (The matrix, though a movie, is such a good example). This story refuses to comprimise itself for the sake of symbolism, and yet maintians such a concrete theme front to back; pur genious.

I am listening to another audio book favorite atm; "Animal Farm".

Bipper