PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
NEEDS to make a comeback! The fighting genre had become crap (with the exception of Soul Calibur 1 and 2 and Virtua Fighter). But even those franchises aren't as great as Street Fighter and I feel that Capcom NEEDS to put as much effort as they put on making Resident Evil into making a new Street Fighter.

With online play, new sprites, 2D or 2.5D would work, with new moves and expressions and LOTS of modes are rewards and FMVs! YES FMVs! dammit.

This game with online play could outsell even Metal Gear Solid or Zelda.

Any thoughts? Questions?

Discuss!

Dreddz
07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Street Fighter is the greatest fighting series ever made, no doubt, anyone who questions this needs not talk to me. SF4 should of been made already, with no word on SF4, I doubt it'll come any time soon. Constant re-releasing is teasing us ( well, at me at least ), it angers me sort of. Capcom needs to get there act together....

JKTrix
07-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Street Fighter 4 has been a long time coming, so when it does come out it better be perfect.

I feel that 2D and 3D fighters should be classified separately, it's not a very accurate comparison between Soul Calibur III and Street Fighter III. So I won't comment on 3D fighters.

However, there have been competent 2D fighters in between the SFs. There's no way you can call the fighting genre 'crap'. How could you forget Guilty Gear? It's the 3rd most popular 2D fighter, behind King of Fighters. King of Fighters has been pretty consistent, only missing 'real' games the last couple of years. Capcom realizes their competition is fierce in the realm of 2D fighters, so they're going to take their time to make the next Street Fighter perfect.

Besides, 3rd Strike is still the most-played fighter in the Japanese arcade. It's such a high quality game. Capcom would do better to take their time to make an even more perfect game, otherwise don't even bother bringing out a new one.

Nick Schovitz
07-12-2006, 07:52 PM
No ones ever heard of King of Fighters and I think Street fighter's never going to comeback with the release of Street Fighter Anthology, it has Street Fighter Alphas 1-3 and Pocket Fighter. The game is great though, it would suck if they made it 3-D just to join the current gen games.

Outer Heaven
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Street Fighter was awesome. I just didn't like Third Strike, it crappy characters and gameplay.

Yeah and it will suck if it were 3D.

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I adored the old SNES SF game, it was the first fighting game I ever got my sticky mitts on!
SONIC BOOM!

JKTrix
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
No ones ever heard of King of Fighters...

Not true. It's not as mainstream in the west as Street Fighter is, but in Japan (where arcades are still kickin') it's Street Fighter's biggest competition. My avatar/signature is a character from KOF, and 'Capcom vs SNK 2' (SNK=King of Fighters) is one of the finest 2D games ever.

Even Guilty Gear, the '3rd' most popular 2D game over there, has a pretty big following in the west. The next Street Fighter needs to be better than these 2 franchises, or it will get left behind eventually.

Old Manus
07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
I think Street Fighter got boring over 10 years ago, and should just die.

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I think Street Fighter got boring over 10 years ago, and should just die.

not really, street fighter kept kicking ass all the way through '00...but after that...Capcom hasn't made any games for it...I'm just waiting to see how graphically enhanced they'll make it for the PS3(SO MANY things they can do here)

Dreddz
07-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I just didn't like Third Strike
Is that even possible ?

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
No ones ever heard of King of Fighters
Of course people have heard of it.

Psychotic
07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
I think Street Fighter got boring over 10 years ago, and should just die.Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. It was good back in the day, but gaming has moved on since then.

Yamaneko
07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I also agree. Street Fighter sucks. Also GTA is the greatest series ever made.

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I think Street Fighter got boring over 10 years ago, and should just die.Yeah, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. It was good back in the day, but gaming has moved on since then.

so the Marvel VS Capcom, Street fighter Alpha, and the Capcom VS SNK series didn't kick ass??? give me a break :irked: you just don't like the fighting genre, simple as that.

you too Yamaneko

~SapphireStar~
07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I also agree. Street Fighter sucks. Also GTA is the greatest series ever made.
Sarcasm?

Erdrick Holmes
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm a moron and I sleep with raggidy andy

:)

Anyway, if an SF4 is made it NEEDs the following:

Online play
A world tour mode that has more RPG elements
Classic characters to return
Ken's kids as playable characters
A story mode that has a web system like in Tech Romancer
An ism system
A colour-edit feature
A HUGE cast of characters (around the 40s)

Ashley Schovitz
07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Online play no one plays online that's money you have to pay for the modem hardrive in your game and the bill too.

Lionx
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I believe that fighting games are just more underground. Sooner or later you can even say the same thing for Halo and other FPSers. It is the competition that drives it going, and it has a huge following in Asia compared to FPS games in the states.

There was a huge playerbase before on Xbox Live for different online games(however alot of the people who made the online game had bad netcode so there was series of lags depending on which game came out first...it improved later on). So the thing is, with online play you dont have to go out to an arcade(which is dying in America although still strong in asia) and dump quarters to find competition...everyone is online with a stick and ready to go, so a better netcode with reletively lag free enviroment would be totally awesome for the genre.

DeathKnight
07-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I believe that fighting games are just more underground. Sooner or later you can even say the same thing for Halo and other FPSers. It is the competition that drives it going, and it has a huge following in Asia compared to FPS games in the states.

There was a huge playerbase before on Xbox Live for different online games(however alot of the people who made the online game had bad netcode so there was series of lags depending on which game came out first...it improved later on). So the thing is, with online play you dont have to go out to an arcade(which is dying in America although still strong in asia) and dump quarters to find competition...everyone is online with a stick and ready to go, so a better netcode with reletively lag free enviroment would be totally awesome for the genre.

Lionx, you read my mind. This is exactly my vision. I visualize a new SF which can be played online in a HUGE way...I mean just imagine.....it'll be 1993 all over again...not in the arcades..but online with people from ALL OVER THE WORLD!(you can even have tournaments :exdee:)

Ashley Schovitz
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Steetfighter Anthology just rest you for a while as I've never played the Alphas.

Lionx
07-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Makes me wonder about how EVO will be run..^^; I love EVO..so much information and new stuff.

Eiko Guy
07-12-2006, 11:08 PM
fucking make it 3-D all good things can evolve through change make it 3-D. All those cool moves would look greater if their was texture to it instead of just a flash of color

SuperMillionaire
07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
They should make Street Fighter Beta, an explanation of what happens between Street Fighters 2 and 3.

Lionx
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
smurfing make it 3-D all good things can evolve through change make it 3-D. All those cool moves would look greater if their was texture to it instead of just a flash of color

^ It is exactly this mentality that i feel that the gaming world is losing its touch. SF3 and to an extent, Guilty Gear probably has better graphics than your Tekken out there.

Doomie
07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
This is an attempt to get in Joel's pants, if I've ever seen one.

Psychotic
07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
so the Marvel VS Capcom, Street fighter Alpha, and the Capcom VS SNK series didn't kick ass??? give me a break :irked: you just don't like the fighting genre, simple as that.I don't think they did "kick ass", no. Also, it'd be cool if you didn't tell me what I do and don't like, thanks. As it happens, I'm a massive fan of the Tekken series, but for the record, the beat 'em up genre, just like the platform genre, is becoming stale, and isn't what it once was.

Craig
07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah uh, I have Street Fighter II Turbo. The one on the SNES. It's cool I guess.

Venom
07-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I like street fighter, I think I may purchase one its games soon.:)

~SapphireStar~
07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
smurfing make it 3-D all good things can evolve through change make it 3-D.
Not really, Arc the Lad and GTA are very, very bad when they were 3Ded IMO. Along with quite afew other already decent games.

JKTrix
07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Street Fighter, when compared to other series (like KOF, GG), has a lot less moves. I mean, Ryu has Hadoken, Dragon Punch and Hurricane kick. His super moves are variants of those. And that's it. Other games would have pages and pages of special moves, different stances and various chains started off with a special move. That isn't Street Fighter's style. Some people would call that 'purity'.

Those of us who grew up playing Street Fighter 2 in the arcades or on our consoles got used to that style and love it. Those who got into Street Fighter after playing other games (like Mortal Kombat) may be frustrated with its 'limited' move set, and thus write it off as 'suck'. That's a little closed-minded, but it's understandable.
This is something Capcom needs to take note of if they aren't already, and make a decision on whether they'll stick to their style, or try something a little new and different to accomodate the way the genre has moved. I'd like to see the game's system updated, but even if it remains similar to how it was before I'd still play it.

As for online play, Street Fighter II is released on Xbox Live Arcade next month. Hopefully they've worked out the kinks and the online play is good. DOA4 on the 360 runs beautifully, even the lag is handled very well. No reason Capcom can't do the same thing for a decade-old 2D game.

Necronopticous
07-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Street Figher III: 3rd Strike is, hands down, the best fighting game. Street Fighter doesn't really need to make a comeback, it's already here.

drunkymonkey
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
The best thing about Street Fighter was crushing the car.

Roogle
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
I like Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 a lot on Kaillera using the MAME32k emulator. It is a great way to get to play fighting games against other players from around your location.

http://www.eyesonff.com/roo/roseanidress.gif

DeathKnight
07-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I like Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 a lot on Kaillera using the MAME32k emulator. It is a great way to get to play fighting games against other players from around your location.

http://www.eyesonff.com/roo/roseanidress.gif

Rose!

Hey Roogle! where the heck did you get that animation??? I want them!!! PLEEEEEASE :whimper:

Alixsar
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I hate Street Fighter. SFII is the game that initially turned me away from fighting games for ten years. I played it when I was seven or eight or so, and it was so terrible that I could never bring myself to play fighting games after that. I hated/still hate to this day how you sort of hang in the air when you jump, and some characters (Dee Jay and Zangief come to mind, although to be fair, Dee Jay wasn't added until later so I'm mostly talking about Zangief) could do moves that take off 2/3 of your life. And I understand why it was an important game in the history of video games, and why it's really well balanced etc. You can save it, because I've heard it all and I understand it all. The thing was, when I was eight I didn't understand. All I knew was that this game pissed me off, and that was enough.

Another problem I have with Street Fighter games is the lack of character. Allow me to explain. SF characters all have unique designs. I can't argue with that. That said, none of them appeal to me. When I pick up Soul Calibur or King of Fighters or Guilty Gear or whatever, there's always one character who immediately appeals to me. SF does not. I typically end up playing as Ken or Ryu just because everyone else is so lame (the only exception being Juli in SFA3 who I'm pretty good with for no reason). For example, in Third Strike (my favorite SF game), I typically play as Ryu or Ken because my other choices are so insane. I can play as a tan dude in a diaper, a black guy who can't fight, a russian punk, a white alien thing, spunky karate girl who sucks, horse thighs, Duo, Trowa, or friggin Q. I'm sure I left people out, but you get the point. Bottom line: SF's character design, which unique, does not appeal to me.

That said, SFIII:Third Strike is kind of fun, and SFA3 is okay. Alright.

Oh, almost forgot: the SF EX games are horrible, but Skullomania is probably the coolest guy ever.

Ashley Schovitz
07-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Street Fighter is the best Fighting game they revolutionized the industry Chun Lee, Cammy, and Dee Jay are the best. Street Fighter's already in 3-d

http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/obrazek/sfex3ps2_1m.jpg
Street fighter EX3

Dreddz
07-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Street Fighter EX isnt what 3D Street Fighter should of been....

DeathKnight
07-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Street Fighter EX isnt what 3D Street Fighter should of been....

My thoughts exactly. They added SOME cool characters here and there.....but there's really no story.....and the stages feel...EMPTY and unispired....the moves could've looked way better(more lighting and destructive-looking).

Lionx
07-14-2006, 08:31 AM
^ Although those are points, i dont think you should specifically buy a fighting game because of that..i havent played EX myself, what made the fighting system so bad? Maximum Impact style or something?

DeathKnight
07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
^ Although those are points, i dont think you should specifically buy a fighting game because of that..i havent played EX myself, what made the fighting system so bad? Maximum Impact style or something?

Yup it's basically like Maximum Impact. The character's animations are not as FLUID as the ones that are/can be done in 2D fighter's. And the winning stances are...bad..very bad..............:irked: . I mean, why couldn't they make 3D environments that actually looked ALIVE....those pre-rendered stages they make are plain and look dead.

But worse of all, the moves...the moves don't look that great............and the animation of those moves are slow too, if they made the fighting system a little faster, you could get into it.....but most moves animate themselves at normal speeds....with every character and every move. And worst of all...the moves themselves don't look great.......I'd like a Psycho Crusher that actually looked IMPRESSIVE with lots of lighting.

Old Manus
07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Where was that Sephex thread about how bad Street Fighter is?

EDIT: Found it. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=62749)

DeathKnight
07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Where was that Sephex thread about how bad Street Fighter is?

EDIT: Found it. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=62749)

:twak:

don't damage my thread

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Street Fighter has pretty much been killed by Capcom. Capcom just keeps milking the Street Fighter franchise (like they do all their franchises) by re-releasing ports into collections or a new Vs Capcom game. We need a real, brand-new Street Fighter game. You know, the last non-port Street Fighter game was Street Fighter EX 3? That was 5 years ago and it was a major dissapointment. What Capcom needs to do is reinvent the Street Fighter series like they did with Resident Evil 4. They need to completely revamp everything including the story, fighters, and gameplay. Yes, we will all miss Guile, Ken, Ryu, Chun Li, and etc., but they have been used to death. All their stories and reasons to fight are gone, we need a fresh approach to the series. This also means changing the gameplay machinics. Why not make it completely 3D? Have completely 3D environments where you can run/fight anywhere! Make the fights take place in the streets of a big city where you can explore and pick fights with people. Something drastic has to happen in the series if Capcom hopes for the series to ever make it back up to the popularity it once had in its prime (Street Fighter II days).

Well, that's my opinion.

Lionx
07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Garou: Mark of the Wolves > SFIII ;i

Alixsar
07-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Garou: Mark of the Wolves > SFIII ;i

Word.

Mo-Nercy
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I would rather just see a fresh fighter from Capcom altogether. When it comes to the fighting genre, all everyone seems to care about is when the next Tekken or Soul Calibur or DOA or Virtua Fighter or KOF or Mortal Kombat etc etc comes out. I don't even remember the last time a new fighter successfully came onto the scene and I guess that's why everyone, player and producer alike, keeps returning to the same series. But I reckon Capcom is good enough to pull something new out of the hat.

I respect Street Fighter as much as the next fighter enthusiast, but maybe it IS time to move on.

DeathKnight
07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I would rather just see a fresh fighter from Capcom altogether. When it comes to the fighting genre, all everyone seems to care about is when the next Tekken or Soul Calibur or DOA or Virtua Fighter or KOF or Mortal Kombat etc etc comes out. I don't even remember the last time a new fighter successfully came onto the scene and I guess that's why everyone, player and producer alike, keeps returning to the same series. But I reckon Capcom is good enough to pull something new out of the hat.

I respect Street Fighter as much as the next fighter enthusiast, but maybe it IS time to move on.

Why not do both? make a groundbreaking(successful SF4) and move on at the same time with a new fighting game????(make it VERY VERY anime like and it'll kick ass).