PDA

View Full Version : I IS TEH SPOILER!

Flying Mullet
07-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Have you ever had a movie, plot, etc... ever ruined for you? Was it intentional or unintentional.

Also, I'm going to be a lame joke killer now and proclaim that saying that I just ruined Harry Potter for you isn't funny so don't bother. Lame-o.

Craig
07-13-2006, 04:56 PM
All the time, I can't help myself.

bipper
07-13-2006, 04:58 PM
I actually like telling people about plot twists that never happened; like you did with the title ;)

Levian
07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Go fuck yourself, Flying Asshole. You totally ruined Harry Potter for me.

Takes more than proclaiming to kill a lame joke. You have to stab it in chest with a pole at full moon at midnight. Then you need to chant a latin rhyme backwards. Only then can you truly kill a lame joke.

Raven Nox
07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I do it all the time. Mostly for games, I'll get half through, then stupidly look up info for the game and spoil it, but I still enjoy the stories anyway.

Ouch!
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I saw this video a couple days after the book came out where I guy drove by a midnight party at Barnes and Noble in his minivan. People were coming out with their new books and he just shouted "Snape kills Dumbledore!" People were cussing at him any everything.

Someone spoiled the new Pirates of the Carribean movie for me. I still enjoyed it.

Ryth
07-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Games, movies, and books get ruined for me all the time. I'm usually just reading and then I read it unintentionally. For games and movies I can normally enjoy it anyway, but if a plot for a book is ruined, I'm generally disenhearted and stop reading. That is what happened to me with Harry Potter and it almost happened with 1984.

Zante
07-13-2006, 05:26 PM
All the time, its not as if I care about spoilers though. Sometimes, I even read the end of a book in advance to see how it ends.

MageLuingil
07-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I've had a few annoying spoilers thrown at me before (like Final Fantasy VII) that I wasn't happy about. I prefer to find these things out on my own, but you know ... life happens.

~SapphireStar~
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Ha! The title had no affect on me as I already knew :D

Anyhoo, I had the ending to 6th Sense ruined as some arsehole on Baddiel & Skinner. He ruined it for the entire audience in the studio and at home. He got booed like crazy!

Behold the Void
07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi! Spoilers have a statute of limitation of 3 years. As Harry Potter 6 hasn't been out for 3 years, I have taken the liberty of editting your thread title.

bipper
07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Ha! The title had no affect on me as I already knew :D

Anyhoo, I had the ending to 6th Sense ruined as some arsehole on Baddiel & Skinner. He ruined it for the entire audience in the studio and at home. He got booed like crazy!

I guessed the twist after the first scene; I am pro like that. My wife hates it, cause I can do it all the time :cool:

Chris
07-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I always hit the person next to me if he spoils a movie for me. >O

Cz
07-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Back when I cared about the Matrix Trilogy, a guy from my class saw the movie a day before anyone else, and ruined the ending. It annoyed me at the time, but when I actually saw the thing I was more outraged by its suckiness than anything. :D

DeathKnight
07-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Those who spoil/ruin the ending of any game I kill them :twak: :twak: :twak: :irked:

That's why I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER go into the FFXII forum. If someone ruined it for me I'd go beserk!~

LunarWeaver
07-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Spoilers are never good news. I stay away from them if it's something I care about. Roto ruined X-men 3 for me and I killed him for it. Don't know who's been using his account since then.

YTDN
07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I spoiled the 6th Harry Potter book acidently when on the Neopets rp foum, someone posted in big letters, The Big And Ultimate Spoiler.

And I always end up spoiling games and Anime for myself. I spoiled the las few eps of Sailor Stars for myself, after lookin up a spoiler. I also spoiled Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memories for myself. I'm having to show exteme restraint not spoiling FFXII.

Zante
07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Why do so many people care about having something spoiled? Even if you know how its going to end, its how the story got to that point that counts, no?

bipper
07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Why do so many people care about having something spoiled? Even if you know how its going to end, its how the story got to that point that counts, no?

And the little artistic symbolism and other quirks.

Levian
07-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Depends on the story really. Psychological thrillers that tend to have a surprising twist at the end are completely ruined if you know the twist. Which is why I never saw The Sixth Sense.

XxSephirothxX
07-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I had the end of Cowboy Bebop spoiled for me. That's the only thing I can remember being upset about, but really I was more upset that it had to end the way it did than by the fact I had it spoiled. In general, I do a good job of avoiding spoilers; for instance, I didn't know what happened in Advent Children until I saw it on an official American DVD when it was finally released over here.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Spoilers don't have a 'statute of limitations'. A spoiler is a spoiler if you're spoilering the person, regardless of if it's 'been out for three years' or whatever.*

That being said, we totally ruined my friend Joe by telling him Aerith dies and Edea is possessed. He was pissed for the longest time. xD

*Unless it's like some classic that's been out for 100 years and probably doesn't have a plot anyway.

Captain Maxx Power
07-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I quite often get plot lines "ruined" for me, but I'm usually not very shocked. When I do not know something and then go and see it, it's usually quite a pleasant surprise for me. Being into pop culture and the like, it's hard not to avoid the obvious spoilers.

Behold the Void
07-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Spoilers don't have a 'statute of limitations'. A spoiler is a spoiler if you're spoilering the person, regardless of if it's 'been out for three years' or whatever.*

FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFMQ, FFV, FFVI, CT, FFVII, FFT, FFVIII, CC, FFIX, FFX, KH, and FFXI are ancient games, kids. Everyone who really cared about their stories or anything else you'd like to censor has already found out that information in the three to seventeen and a half years they've been available. (FFXI was released on May 16, 2002.) So really, don't bother with the spoiler tags unless someone makes a thread specifically asking you to censor that stuff because he never got on the ball because of some stupid excuse like "That game never came out in my country." You're breaking my heart over here, Mr. O'Malley, really.

The same applies to whatever miscellaneous media you're discussing in the Lounge or whatever. Three years is a pretty fair mark. This is our official stance here and failure to comply will find you banished to the Phantom Zone forever.

Zeromus_X
07-13-2006, 10:19 PM
And? I'm not arguing this. Nobody needs to be an asshole on purpose to spoiler things to people, regardless. If you really want to argue with me, fine, but I'm not going to continue.

Behold the Void
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm pointing out the site rules and explaining why I changed the title of the thread. That is all.

Anyway, on topic.

I've had some things spoiled for me, but it doesn't really bother me all that much. I don't really mind knowing.

Rase
07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I rarely care, unless it's something I've been dying to know for the longest time and want to find out for myself. Though I can think of a few times when, if something had been ruined for me, I would have been quite upset.

escobert
07-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Have you ever had a movie, plot, etc... ever ruined for you? Was it intentional or unintentional.

Also, I'm going to be a lame joke killer now and proclaim that saying that I just ruined Harry Potter for you isn't funny so don't bother. Lame-o.
You suck :(

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2006, 11:35 PM

FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFMQ, FFV, FFVI, CT, FFVII, FFT, FFVIII, CC, FFIX, FFX, KH, and FFXI are ancient games, kids. Everyone who really cared about their stories or anything else you'd like to censor has already found out that information in the three to seventeen and a half years they've been available. (FFXI was released on May 16, 2002.) So really, don't bother with the spoiler tags unless someone makes a thread specifically asking you to censor that stuff because he never got on the ball because of some stupid excuse like "That game never came out in my country." You're breaking my heart over here, Mr. O'Malley, really.

The same applies to whatever miscellaneous media you're discussing in the Lounge or whatever. Three years is a pretty fair mark. This is our official stance here and failure to comply will find you banished to the Phantom Zone forever.
Agreed. If you don't know that Aeris dies or that Edea is possessed or something like that, you don't deserve to be protected from spoilers.

With that said, yes I have. I was reading the latest Harry Potter book and one of my friends told me that Dumbledore dies. He then tryed covering it up by saying he was kidding. That asshole, I punched him in the stomach.

I Took the Red Pill
07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm not putting spoiler tags up because both To Kill a Mockingbird and Great Expectations have been out there forever.

Yeah, my friend ruined the To Kill a Mockingbird for me by saying "Did you get to the part where the black guy gets shot?". I in turn ruined the end of Great Expectations for him by saying "The convict's the benefactor."

Jojee
07-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Agreed. If you don't know that Aeris dies or that Edea is possessed or something like that, you don't deserve to be protected from spoilers. You evil people. You don't take into account the little 11 year old kids who just got into gaming but still don't want FFVII spoiled for them :( It's a classic game, everyone should play it XD

And that being said, I had FFVII spoiled for me >=\ Back when it was pretty damn new, too.
My cousin: Oh, I wouldn't get attatched to Aeris if I were you...
*punches his face in* :(

Zeromus_X
07-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Agreed. If you don't know that Aeris dies or that Edea is possessed or something like that, you don't deserve to be protected from spoilers.

How does that make any sense at all?

Anyway, I also had Aerith-kebob ruined for me. That may have ruined the emotional impact of the scene, but it was still even a bit emotional.

The whole Cloud/Zack's memory thing was another, but I had to play the game another time to even make sense of everything.

Let's see...what else. Oh yeah!

The main villain in FFIV. I already saw someone else playing it, so I knew this 'blue bald guy' (and corresponding evil alien monster thing) was the last boss. Of course, I eventually played it myself of course, but I guess it didn't bother me.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-14-2006, 01:51 AM
All the time. Just yesterday Lady Rikku spoiled Xenosaga 3 for me and its not even out yet!!! xD. Its okay though, Spoilers are fun.

kikimm
07-14-2006, 03:10 AM
I do it all the time. Mostly for games, I'll get half through, then stupidly look up info for the game and spoil it, but I still enjoy the stories anyway.

xD This is exactly what I do. I did it yesterday. And then I made it worse by doing it again. It was horrible. I'm a little upset because it was something that I've been looking forward to playing for a long time. Although really I should be done with it now, so it's sort of my fault.

I do it with a lot of other stuff too. I know I had Cowboy Bebop spoiled also, and Fight Club, and The Sixth Sense, and The Others by Mad TV. That pissed me off.

I spoiled the second Pirates of the Caribbean on purpose though. I'm not sure why. I don't care about it.

blackmage_nuke
07-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Someone ruined FF VII for me and told me what happened to Aeris

Jebus
07-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Someone ruined Fight Club for me.

Also, I had certain events in Suikoden II and III spoiled for me as well.

Big D
07-14-2006, 03:36 AM
I had been told hints about the FFVII disc 1 spoiler before getting there, though it still had impact because I was reluctant to believe it. A magazine review of FFVIII spoiled part of FFVIII, because its intro said the game was about a group of heroes confronting "a sorceress from the future". Thanks to various inconsiderate or unintelligent posts and thread titles in the AC forum, I had a few major details of that film pre-emptively revealed.

It's strange, how people these days (on the internet, at least) try to learn as much as they possibly can about a title before it comes out. Including major plot points and twists. Usually, these same people go on to complain about how the work was disappointing and predictable...

And regardless of forum policy, I still reckon it's the height of rudeness to callously or deliberately spoil a plot for someone.

DarkLadyNyara
07-14-2006, 03:50 AM
It doesn't bother me. Someone had Snape Kills Dumbledore in their sig here a while ago. It doesn't ruin it for me. It's the story, not the ending that I read for.

My friend crow already knew the Dumbledore dying thing when he started reading HBP, so I told him about how the Defense against the Dark Arts job was cursed by Voldemort. He was pissed. ;)

Here's something one of my friends did recently, when Star Wars episode III came out - "Anakin becomes Darth Vader!" :D :D :D