PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Cruise Control
07-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Just like the what are you listening to thread, but better.

Comics don't count, andI see no reason to incur a post limit, since I doubt anyone reads that fast.

I'm reading Pursuader by Lee Child.

Meat Puppet
07-14-2006, 03:44 AM
The Wounded Land by Stephen Donaldson.

I Took the Red Pill
07-14-2006, 03:49 AM
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Miriel
07-14-2006, 03:49 AM
I just finished reading 2 books, A History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I enjoyed both muchly.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer who incidentally is married to Nicole Krauss.

XxSephirothxX
07-14-2006, 03:51 AM
I'm trying to read Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, but I'm kind of stalled right now. He's a great writer, but it takes a lot of work to really get into the book, for some reason. Still, it's worth the effort.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisIf you're into Sedaris, I can recommend Barrel Fever and Naked.

Right now I'm reading Slapstick by Vonnegut, although I'm sort of avoiding continuing it until Sunday, such that I'll have it to occupy me during a long airplane ride.

Ryth
07-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

NeoCracker
07-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Nothign recently, but I'm trying to get a hold of The High Druid of Shannara: Straken Lord By Terry brooks. While the Jerle Shannara series was better with my favorite book being Antrax, this series is quite enjoyable.

kikimm
07-14-2006, 04:20 AM

Do you like it? I read it after seeing the movie, which made it so much better. Wonderful book.

I'm trying to read The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, but I'm struggling. I don't really like books where children are the main characters and are capable of everything because it's their destiny and blah blah blah.

DK
07-14-2006, 04:30 AM
NOTHING BECAUSE NONE OF THE BOOKSTORES HAVE THE LAST BOOK IN BOTH OF MY SERIES IN STOCK :mad2:

I Took the Red Pill
07-14-2006, 04:43 AM

Do you like it? I read it after seeing the movie, which made it so much better. Wonderful book.

Yeah I like it alottt. I'm doing it in reverse order that you did, I plan on watching the movie after reading the novel. Which one did you like better?

Moon Rabbits
07-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Perks of Being a Wallflower for about the fifth time. ._.

That, and the Icarus Factor by Rod McQueen.

I didn't much care for Clockwork.

Nominus Experse
07-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Chainfire, by Terry Goodkind.

Immediately before that, I had read and finished A Debt of Bones by the same author.

fire_of_avalon
07-14-2006, 05:18 AM
I'll probably finish Hearts in Atlantis tomorrow (second read through) and begin The Dispossesd by Ursula K. LeGuin. After that I'll probably read The Dubliners, and more Yeats collected fairy tales. Then, who knows. I'm open to suggestions.

kikimm
07-14-2006, 05:55 AM
Yeah I like it alottt. I'm doing it in reverse order that you did, I plan on watching the movie after reading the novel. Which one did you like better?

After thinking about it a bit, I think I liked the book better. The movie was based on the American version of the novel that was released, so it's missing the last chapter. It does make a big difference. And of course, there's more of the nadsat talk in the book, which is totally awesome. The movie's excellent, though. Malcolm McDowell is the perfect Alex.

lovehurts
07-14-2006, 06:09 AM
I recommend the book "into the wild ". I have a lot of books in my room I think that I will start to read one.

Zeromus_X
07-14-2006, 06:11 AM
There was the Fifth Dark Tower book. I dont' believe I ever finished it though...gonna have to dig it up sometime. Two more books to go...:cat:

rubah
07-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift.

Moon Rabbits
07-14-2006, 06:49 AM
I'll probably finish Hearts in Atlantis tomorrow (second read through) and begin The Dispossesd by Ursula K. LeGuin. After that I'll probably read The Dubliners, and more Yeats collected fairy tales. Then, who knows. I'm open to suggestions.

Hearts in Atlantis <3.

Ramza Beoulve
07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Angels and Demons n.n

Miriel
07-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisIf you're into Sedaris, I can recommend Barrel Fever and Naked.

Those two are next on my list. I'm plowing through these, man.

Strider
07-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I just finished Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero by Jeff Pearljam, and now I'm reading Maddox's The Alphabet of Manliness.

Xenyth
07-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Just finished Conrad's Fate by Dianna Wynne Jones, starting The Supernaturalists by Eoin Colfer

Lost Number
07-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Rereading Terry Pratchetts Monstrous Regiment.

drunkymonkey
07-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Excellent book.

Hambone
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Does reading sheet music count?

Jings
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Just finished The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre, not really my kind of book but it was a good read.

I've also been meaning to pick up another Anne Rice novel after finishing Interview With The Vampire but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lost Number
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Excellent book.
:D

Moon Rabbits
07-14-2006, 09:16 PM
I picked up Tuesdays with Morrie today and plan to start reading it soon.

drunkymonkey
07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Excellent book. :DTerry Pratchett FTW obviously.

starseeker
07-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Day of the Triffids

Vincent, Thunder God
07-14-2006, 10:26 PM
The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan.

The Wounded Land by Stephen Donaldson.

I read that a while back. It's actually the beginning of the second trilogy... the first trilogy is also worth reading. Thomas Covenant is a very interesting character... an anti-hero in a hero's position. The series can be depressing at times. It would have been better to take a happier character along with Covenant instead of that whiny doctor...the comparison of a hero and anti-hero might have made the book more bearable.

Germ Hamee
07-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I just finished A Clash of Kings, the same book I was reading the last time we thread. Jeez, that book was exhausting.

I've moved on to Wizard of the Pigeons, by Megan Lindholm. It's set in Seattle, and as it turns out, homeless folk are actually very powerful wizards sworn to protect their cities.

moldybread
07-15-2006, 12:10 AM
The Street Lawyer, John Grisham.

Rocket Edge
07-15-2006, 12:17 AM
The Art of War - about time i got down to reading it too..

scrumpleberry
07-15-2006, 12:39 AM
William Golding:- the inheritors

Fuego
07-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Speaks the Nightbird by: Robert McCammon (two book series) just finished about 4 days ago then
Song of Kali By: Dan Simmons read that in 2 days ... holy crap its a good book and i highly recomend !
Mystery Walk by: Robert McCammon i am almost done with that one now ... i love to read when i am on the bus or at werk with down time ^^
(Robert McCammon books are quick reads cause he has a great style thats inviting and then mesmerising !!! i suggest Swan Song by him ... my favorite book by him !)

Pheesh
07-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Just finished 'The Dead Zone'-Stephen King. Great book....like all his others.

Dunno what i'll start on next.

Stay Essential
EE

Topcat
07-19-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm about halfway through The Borne Identity by Robert Ludlum, so far, so good.

Resha
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I just finished reading 2 books, A History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I enjoyed both muchly.

I saw the latter in the bookstores, and I read the blurb -- it looked hilarious. Really wanted to buy it but I didn't. Alack.

I'm reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde (it's a subliminally awesome book -- I love Wilde so much!), "A Knife of Dreams" by Robert Jordan and "The Novel" by James A. Michener.

I think I'll put "The Novel" on pause though -- two books at once is more than enough.

Clyphire
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I dont read i burn books

Reine
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM

:)

Currently reading Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan

Resha
07-19-2006, 02:09 PM

:)

Currently reading Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan
HWAH! SAME AS ME! WHICH PAGE ARE YOU ON? :D

Sergeant Hartman
07-19-2006, 02:55 PM
This thread.

Heath
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Recently finished Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Debating between Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams) and A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess) right now. Probably go with the latter so I can tie it into an essay I need to write. I do feel organised because I've made myself a summer reading list.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
The Catcher in The Rye is like the only book I've read this year

Heath
07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Actually, The Great Hunt is probably my favourite Wheel of Time book so I hope you enjoy it, Vincent. I didn't like The Dragon Reborn as much, but The Shadow Rising is brilliant.

Cruise Control
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Eldest by Christopher Paulani. This is my first readthrough, and so far its the <3

Reine
07-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Actually, The Great Hunt is probably my favourite Wheel of Time book so I hope you enjoy it, Vincent. I didn't like The Dragon Reborn as much, but The Shadow Rising is brilliant.

I actually like The Dragon Reborn the most, the ending was mindblowing, well to me it was anyway.

The first book is a close contender though

And Resha, im around halfway through it :p

*Autumn*
07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
The Last Legends of Earth by A. Attanasio...freakin confusing but damn brilliant imagination.

Resha
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Dang. I'm somewhere in the first chappie. Problem is -- I started reading it but then I realised I'd completely forgotten what the hell had happened with the Seanchan and all. :( And I could not be bothered to read all 10 preceding books all over again -- it'd have taken me for ever. Thank god there's that glossary thing at the back :p

...is Egwene getting kidnapped on her way to the White Tower (I think!).

DoomAntenna
07-20-2006, 02:25 AM
I just finished Lord Foul's Bane, of the Thomas Covenant trilogy. It was pretty neat. I think I'll read The Life of the World to Come by Kage Baker next. Robert Jordan- I've read all of the Wheel of Time books... I like them, but when will it end?!?!

Vincent, Thunder God
07-20-2006, 03:42 AM

I actually like The Dragon Reborn the most, the ending was mindblowing, well to me it was anyway.

The first book is a close contender though

I agree with you Reine, the third is the best out of those three IMO. I've read the first three already, I'm just re-reading them because I'm very picky about following continuity in books. I tend to re-read if I've left the series for a while so that I have a perfect memory of the preceding storyline. Maybe I'm just too picky. :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Currently:

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams.

This summer I have been a reading fiend, epecially the earlier part. I have reread many of my books, which made me realize I need more.

JaytodaP
07-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Fight Club. Best Book Ever in the Universe

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
The Alphabet of Manliness. Anyone that claims to be a true man should read this book.

Spiffing Cheese
07-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Judas Child by someone. I forget who, and the book's in the kiten. That's like, four metres away.

JaytodaP
07-20-2006, 04:22 PM
The Alphabet of Manliness. Anyone that claims to be a true man should read this book.

That book is probably the funniest book I have ever read. I have it signed and I love that part about chuck norris:D

edit wtf? I cant say c h u ck n o r r i s

Resha
07-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Fight Club. Best Book Ever in the Universe
Fuckin' 'ell, I started reading that book today. By Chuck Palahniuk. It's pretty damn awesome as far as chapter 5 goes; but depressing as hell. Makes me want to kill myself at times. lol.

Faris
07-20-2006, 09:35 PM
For my english course I'm reading Wild Magic: The Immortals, Heart of Darkness, and we just finished Macbeth today. The other two I have to have all read for tomorrow. Joy :D Other than school stuff I'm readin the manga Snow Drop (I'm waiting for number 5).

Cruise Control
07-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I just finished Eldest, all I have to say is WOW.

I'm now reading The Stand (Uncut Edition) by Stephen King.

EDIT: Sweet jesus, 1141 pages.

Aradae
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Great expectations by charles dickens

Spammerman
07-23-2006, 06:11 PM
The Golems Eye

Flea
07-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I recently finished reading A Child Called "It" and The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer.
I'm now reading the the last book in the trilogy; A Man Named Dave.

rubah
07-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm reading Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift