PDA

View Full Version : Attention all EOFF members there's a chance for you to win a million $

Ashley Schovitz
07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
well if you're really good at playing videogames, just aa couple of weeks ago I discovered that videogames are getting to become a professional sport, Major League Gaming is the professional gaming franchise with their first initiated game contract is The two best Halo 2 teams in the U.S., It has also been confirmed that they're signing a contract with both teams for a cool million dollars here's there offical page here (http://www.mlgpro.com/) where you can find out more about them and other games they're adding to the competition. Their goal is to give more credit for gamers and to influence the world that gaming is a tough and strict competion\, that's just not for children, sorry there's not competition for anyone in FFXI though

Before My Nick was banned he wanted to present this info to you all because he loves the sight so much and I think in my opinion that taking videogames into a professional sport can really influence more people especially women that gaming isn't immature the only bad thing about this is that it's promoting just sitting on a couch or in front of a computer all day, the day when an FF game will be entered me and Nick will give full support to the EOFF staff if they get entered.

~SapphireStar~
07-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Counter Strike has been a huge gaming tournement for years. My boyfriend knows loads of people who play professional and he and his team have just won their open cup. There are loads of woman gamers as well.

ljkkjlcm9
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM
"professional" gaming won't gain respect for gamers. If anything professional gamers are laughed at more and it loses respect. I think people that become pros at a game are idiots as well. Games are fun, but not worth being a pro at it. Go out there find a real thing to do, like these pro poker players. Go find a real job geez

THE JACKEL

~SapphireStar~
07-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Whats wrong earning money for something you enjoy doing? Its better then a boring 9-5 office job. These people arent laughed at, if anything they are envyed. And how is someone an idiot just cause they are a pro at a game?

Ashley Schovitz
07-14-2006, 06:18 PM
That's not true you shouldn't judge anyone's way on life just on their profession.

Erdrick Holmes
07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Does this league do fighting game tournies?

Ashley Schovitz
07-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't know are there any online Fighting games? Oh wait just check the site, or any other related sites.

ljkkjlcm9
07-14-2006, 06:28 PM
yeah, and professional sports players and singers are envied too, but I don't exactly respect that way of life. I have far more respect for someone that goes to work everyday and can have a normal life. Games are made to be fun, not blown up into this huge lifestyle. In every situation there is an extreme. And people that play a certain game so much and are a "pro" at it have gone to that extreme. Fine, play the game, enjoy playing it, play it whenever, but making it your job? No, that's just absurd.

THE JACKEL

~SapphireStar~
07-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Why is it absurd? Because its different? Not everyone wants a normal job, I certainly dont, hence the reason Im doing a TV screenwriting course and my boyfriend is doing a camera course to become a cameraman like his father. I want my kids to say their mum does a fun job instead of having a 9-5 job at Sainsburys or an office job. And I enjoy writing, so I'd be loving my job.

Yeah, good for them earning a living, but calling people for doing something they enjoy is absurd.

Strider
07-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Does this league do fighting game tournies?Perhaps not that one, but...

http://www.evo2k.com/

The only thing is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJaT4-wnms

You had better be pretty damn good.

MecaKane
07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
yeah, and professional sports players and singers are envied too, but I don't exactly respect that way of life. I have far more respect for someone that goes to work everyday and can have a normal life. Games are made to be fun, not blown up into this huge lifestyle. In every situation there is an extreme. And people that play a certain game so much and are a "pro" at it have gone to that extreme. Fine, play the game, enjoy playing it, play it whenever, but making it your job? No, that's just absurd.

THE JACKAL
Pure jealousy.

Ashley Schovitz
07-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Does this league do fighting game tournies?Perhaps not that one, but...

http://www.evo2k.com/

The only thing is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJaT4-wnms

You had better be pretty damn good.
whoa how is it even posssible to block that attack?
Here's another one it's funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxYj5u4c-cw&search=Tekken%205%20tournament%20game

Shoeberto
07-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Final Fantasy isn't going to be entered into a pro league because it's not competitive. The closest it'll ever get is maybe PVP in FFXI, but I don't know how popular that is.

But pro gaming leagues have been around for a long time now. Going back to the days of Quake I, even. Nowadays they're everywhere; DDR, fighting games, team-based and 1-on-1 deathmatch FPS, and so on.

The thing is, you have to be extremely good. Ridiculously good. Fatal1ty spends hours a day training on whatever game he's going to go into a tournie for. If you're interested in stuff like this, check out to see if there's any large-scale LAN parties in your area. I know that one I went to a few years back had a cybergaming league qualification rounds with UT2k4 and Halo. Plus, at the big ones, guys are up for anything. Some people bring DDR pads, some play netplay on emulators, all kinds of stuff.

Erdrick Holmes
07-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I'll be participating in the GGXX tourney, I'm gonna make up for my 4th place in the Tourney in Port Huron.

Roto13
07-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I can only laugh at any job where people are known by their screen names.

edczxcvbnm
07-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I can only laugh at any job where people are known by their screen names.

Sports are about the same thing.

Karl Malone - The Mailman
Shaq - Desil
Wade - Flash

Those are just 3 but tons of sports plays have nicknames and are just as well known by them as their real names. Those who closely follow the sport will know their real names but casual people will call them what ever they are called the most.

It isn't quite the same thing in videogames but it isn't big enough to where it can be compared at that kind of level.

Roto13
07-14-2006, 09:35 PM
The only person on that list I know is Shaquille O'Neal (if that's how it's spelled) and I know his name. Actually, I didn't even know he had a nickname. There's a difference between a nickname and a screen name.

~SapphireStar~
07-14-2006, 11:22 PM
The thing is, you have to be extremely good. Ridiculously good. Fatal1ty spends hours a day training on whatever game he's going to go into a tournie for.
My boyfriends been playing CS for a good 5 years and Ive had to put up with 3 years of training, LANs and him screaming at people through his headset. It can be ear bursting. But Ive watched him play and he is very good.

As I mentioned his team just won their open cup agaisnt a German team and my boyfriend got the final kill. He crept up behind the last player, who had his sniper rifle out, decided not to use his gun, but his knife. Now the knife makes a sound anyone a close distance can hear and the guy turned round and my boyfriend just knifed him. Im going to be hearing about it for months.

Kuzotz
07-15-2006, 12:24 AM
"professional" gaming won't gain respect for gamers. If anything professional gamers are laughed at more and it loses respect. I think people that become pros at a game are idiots as well. Games are fun, but not worth being a pro at it. Go out there find a real thing to do, like these pro poker players. Go find a real job geez

THE JACKAL
Whats wrong with earning money playing video games?

I mean we should be making fun of atheletes that are professional because all they do is play a sport.

While being grossly over paid

Malboro_Menace
07-15-2006, 02:51 AM
The closest thing to this I've been to is a SSB tournament. That was fun.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Wars: Battlefront 2 competiton.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-15-2006, 03:00 AM

THE JACKAL
Those professional poker players make more money than you will ever see in your entire life. Why the HELL would they want to get a normal job?

Roto13
07-15-2006, 03:26 AM

THE JACKAL
Those professional poker players make more money than you will ever see in your entire life. Why the HELL would they want to get a normal job?
Because the vast majority of them don't.

Markus. D
07-15-2006, 03:57 AM
Being good at an FPS means nothing to me.

edit: I like unreal championship 2 however, thats a sexy game.

Madame Adequate
07-15-2006, 04:26 AM
If anything professional gamers are laughed at more and it loses respect.

I think the people laughing are the ones who are making a ton of money doing something they really like. And they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Roto13
07-15-2006, 04:43 AM
If anything professional gamers are laughed at more and it loses respect.

I think the people laughing are the ones who are making a ton of money doing something they really like. And they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Do you honestly thing they're all making a ton of money? Hell, do you honestly thing most of them make any at all? I'd like to see a contest where everybody wins.

Raistlin
07-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Why the hell does that matter? They're doing something they like. If they're happy with the amount of money they get from it, that's all that matters. Why the fuck should they care if their fun job makes other people "lose respect" for gamers? Why the fuck does anyone here even care about that?

Roto13
07-15-2006, 05:16 AM
When people say they're all making a ton of money, it matters that they're not. The money is important, actually. If you're not making any, you're just playing video games all day instead of working, which does make you a loser.

Lionx
07-15-2006, 05:19 AM
To me, this is the same as sport players. They play their game, have fun, get paid. This is no different, its just less physical. I wouldnt mind but i aint that good...but i know i can get better if i spent the time to learn/practice. EVO is one of the most famous fighting game tournies out there in the world, i cant wait for the world finals in Las Vegas.

Shoryuken.com => Tournament listings on their forums.

~SapphireStar~
07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
When people say they're all making a ton of money, it matters that they're not. The money is important, actually. If you're not making any, you're just playing video games all day instead of working, which does make you a loser.

They get sponsered by games and PC companies. Thye pay for their travel expenses, PC equipment, etc and all they have to do is either use the equipment given to them or wear a shirt with their logo on it. Pro gamers do get paid for doing what they do. And I dont work and I play computer games, does that make me a loser then?

Mo-Nercy
07-15-2006, 01:19 PM
My friends play professional DotA (Defense of the Ancients, a Warcraft 3 mod that's really taken off in Australia). Used to be the best clan in Sydney (nR) but recently they've been in terrible form. They're in a tournament atm hoping to win $1000 and beat what is now the best clan in Sydney (SGS)

Raistlin
07-15-2006, 02:29 PM
And why should they care if people consider them losers? If they're HAPPY with the amount of money they make, that's all that matters.

Roto13
07-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Them not caring doesn't take away from the fact that they're losers.

MecaKane
07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
You really need to grow up man, people are doing and getting paid however little it is to do something they love. And you're calling them losers? What about the guys in minor sports legues? What about writers, actors, directors, who haven't made it yet? They're losers because they're taking a chance on their dream? Not everyone wants to do what you want to do with their lives, that doesn't make their choices any less valid.

Roto13
07-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Look, people who can't support themselves are a drain on society, whether they're following their dream or not. If they have an actual job while they attempt it, fine. That's what those wannabe actors, writers, directors do. If they decide they're never going to work and are just going to play video games and hope that someone is willing to pay them to do so, that's not cool. I need to grow up? No, anyone who does nothing but play video games needs to grow up.

MecaKane
07-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Are you dense, or something?
Of course they're either going to have enough money to support themselves, or they'll work another job on the side. Otherwise they'd you know, starve to death.

Roto13
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Are you dense, or something?
Of course they're either going to have enough money to support themselves, or they'll work another job on the side. Otherwise they'd you know, starve to death.
Not if they're on welfare or living off a family member or something.

MecaKane
07-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Not many people on welfare can afford PCs and high speed internet connections, also I'm pretty sure welfare doesn't give money to people who have any other source of income and can't prove they're looking for work.

Roto13
07-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Not many people on welfare can afford PCs and high speed internet connections, also I'm pretty sure welfare doesn't give money to people who have any other source of income and can't prove they're looking for work.
If they're not making money, they don't have another source of income, and plenty of people pretend to be looking for work to stay on welfare.

MecaKane
07-15-2006, 07:55 PM
If they're not making any money at it, they're not professionals, so they're not the subject of this thread, and yes; people who go on welfare because they just don't want to work are losers.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Because the vast majority of them don't.
Are you sure about that?
If they weren't making money, they wouldn't be called professionals. And if they're making money, they're making lots of it. If you're good at poker, you can make a living off it, and alot of people do. Yes, some people try to and fail and end up losing it all, but those who know how to play and play effectivly are rolling in it.