PDA

View Full Version : Are girls inferior gamers?

lovehurts
07-15-2006, 09:46 PM
In my experience with my online gaming buddies they are good and most guys are pretty good at games but girls or females are usually bad at computer or video games. If not bad , guys are surely better as a majority in my opinion.

~SapphireStar~
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
My boyfriend is better at CS then me, but Im better at RPGs then him. I think the gaming industry was mainly aimed at men when it was first created and we followed on behind. Girl gamers are becoming more popular, I think guys are better because they played games before we decided to step in and give them a shot. Ive been playing computer games for 16 years and still dont think I compare to my dad and uncles in the gaming world.

Venom
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
My mom is better at video games than I am.:(

NeoCracker
07-15-2006, 09:51 PM
There are more guy gamers, so odds are with a larger group ones better then the rest is most likely to emerge from that group. IT just happens that the odds worked out. However I think thats changing lately, so it won't hold true for much longer.

Outer Heaven
07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
My mom is better at video games than I am.:(

LMAO...PWN3D!!11

drunkymonkey
07-15-2006, 09:54 PM
No. I'm not a huge fan of sweeping statements, and you don't get much more sweeping than that.

ljkkjlcm9
ARE YOU KIDDING, girls can't do anything lol

j/k

Some girls are good, just like some guys are good. If you compare the number of truly good players to the number of players, it's not a huge percentage. If you break it into the seperate genders, I bet they're pretty similar in comparison.

THE JACKEL

Nominus Experse
I would say most of the girl gamers I have come across, they seem to be what would be termed as being 'inferior'. However, I think that they might be this way because in our current society, girls aren't given games like boys are. It's some mold that we have created, that boys like games more than girls, ans as such, girls may not be exposed to games until later in life, such as around ten or their early teens. By then, the guys, seem to have around seven years under our belts by the time we're ten. With me, I was playing games since I could understand what the pixels meant, which was around me being two years of age, right before my thrid birthday.

In many ways, I think girls aren't inferior because the female race is somehow 'not as thoroughyl equiped' as guys are when it comes to playing games, but because society just doesn't hand girls games at a young age. Typically, they seem to get TV shows, Barbies, or whathaveyou.

Although, I must say, I have seen a few older girls (16 - on up) completely waste equal aged guys at the guys own game, in their own element.

Really, if things were equal, it could go either way, in my opinion.

lovehurts
07-15-2006, 09:57 PM
No. I'm not a huge fan of sweeping statements, and you don't get much more sweeping than that.

There's fair poll options.....

Honestly this could be a sign that I am a little sexist. I am not aware if I am or not. I seem to have taken to a narrow view that most guys out game girls. I am mainly referring to action games. 1st person shooters or anything of that sort. Any fast paste killing or boogleing game. If I am being thick or un-descent please tell me in kind. I am open minded and will lend my ear to you for a cent of your knowledge. I dont want to stray from this topic but alot of guys agree with me, wether you consider it sexist or not.

With that mother thing I was referring to some one closer to your age with a responible amount of similarites in between the 2 of you not 30 years apart of gaming experience......

drunkymonkey
07-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Honestly this could be a sign that I am a little sexist. I am not aware if I am or not. I seem to have taken to a narrow view that most guys out game girls. I am mainly referring to action games. 1st person shooters or anything of that sort. Any fast paste killing or boogleing game. If I am being thick or un-descent please tell me in kind. I am open minded and will lend my ear to you for a cent of your knowledge. I dont want to stray from this topic but alot of guys agree with me, wether you consider it sexist or not.

With that mother thing I was referring to some one closer to your age with a responible amount of similarites in between the 2 of you not 30 years apart of gaming experience......I wasn't suggesting the poll options weren't fair, I was suggesting that the question itself was sweeping, and obviously the answer would be 'no.'

lovehurts
07-15-2006, 10:16 PM

With that mother thing I was referring to some one closer to your age with a responible amount of similarites in between the 2 of you not 30 years apart of gaming experience......I wasn't suggesting the poll options weren't fair, I was suggesting that the question itself was sweeping, and obviously the answer would be 'no.'

It hasnt been yes yet. Certainly not by you. You picked no. Some people however do agree that it is most of the time.

Use chewing gum with golden tooth.

LECHIMP!

BLood island is one of my favorite video game locations ever. I love that game for blood island.

When I make a thread I account for the fact that their may be extermists . I like to observe there reasoning. I wouldnt say its a all the time thing .that they are inferior but I will suggest that I do to see how others view an extermist. Its breaking down a concept from its tallest peak to its lowest point. It is analyzing a subject in the best way in my opinion. Extremist views if solid , offer a look at human behavior and often unlogicall reasoning that ammusses me. So I offer the answer yes. I let people use there in deept reasoning why it is wrong to speak in absolutes. People in the end sometimes try to sound intelligent and to impress one another with there posts so everntually I get the perfect answer.

Shiny
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
It depends on the individual person and their skill. Gender has nothing to do with whether a person is skilled at video games, or not. So that answer would be a definate no for me.

Chris
07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Absolutely not. Any girl could whoop my ass in any game. xD

Rinöa
07-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Girls are just as good as guys at any game, any time.

drunkymonkey
07-15-2006, 10:27 PM

It hasnt been yes yet. Certainly not by you. You picked no. Some people however do agree that it is most of the time.

Use chewing gum with golden tooth.

LECHIMP!

BLood island is one of my favorite video game locations ever. I love that game for blood island.

When I make a thread I account for the fact that their may be extermists . I like to observe there reasoning. I wouldnt say its a all the time thing .that they are inferior but I will suggest that I do to see how others view an extermist. Its breaking down a concept from its tallest peak to its lowest point. It is analyzing a subject in the best way in my opinion. Extremist views if solid , offer a look at human behavior and often unlogicall reasoning that ammusses me. So I offer the answer yes. I let people use there in deept reasoning why it is wrong to speak in absolutes. People in the end sometimes try to sound intelligent and to impress one another with there posts so everntually I get the perfect answer.Yes, Murray pwns, hard.

The reason you will find that some girls are not as good at games is not that they aren't capable, it is normally because they don't play with the same amount of time that males do. It is a fact that men play more video-games than women; it is not a fact that men are better at video-games than women, mainly because there hasn't been any research put into it and there really isn't that much to suggest that there would be any changes in skill at all.

Freya
07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
I just got out of a WoW warsong gulch battlegrounds game, it's capture the flag. I had 16 flag returns (means i killed the person who grabbed ours and returned the flag, the most out of both teams the closest thing to me was 4... yeah) i had 65 kills, 54 of them killing blows(meaning i got the last hit, i got that win ME if i wasn't there they would have lost.

Halo 1, first person shooter, beat it on legendary. God of War, beat it in a couple hours. Tekken, i can kick your butt in it.
I OWN!! I'm a girl. Most girls arn't given chances to be gamers. Most times girls aren't able to try and get good at something because the guys think they all suck.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
girls are not very good gamers. the only girl i have seen that is a descent gamer is my girlfriend, but she still is not better than me. the only games she is good at is mario kart and mario party 6 and 7. but i tell you what, she kicks my ass at those mario games.

drunkymonkey
07-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I just got out of a WoW warsong gulch battlegrounds game, it's capture the flag. I had 16 flag returns (means i killed the person who grabbed ours and returned the flag, the most out of both teams the closest thing to me was 4... yeah) i had 65 kills, 54 of them killing blows(meaning i got the last hit, i got that win ME if i wasn't there they would have lost.

Halo 1, first person shooter, beat it on legendary. God of War, beat it in a couple hours. Tekken, i can kick your butt in it.
I OWN!! I'm a girl. Most girls arn't given chances to be gamers. Most times girls aren't able to try and get good at something because the guys think they all suck.
What race/class are you? In WoW I mean, not in real life. Ha.

Dreddz
07-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I havent played enough girl gamers to know.....the ones I have played ( mainly on SSX3 ) i usually beat :P
Still, im sure theres alot of decent girl gamers, and male gamers arent all that great....

Jings
07-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Hmm i have no doubt that girls who put any kind of effort into competing in a game could take me on. Like has already been said though the vast majority of gamers are male who have been playing games from a younger age than most girls, i don't think what you do and don't have under your t-shirt and pants determines how good you are at computer games.

Freya
07-15-2006, 11:35 PM
What race/class are you? In WoW I mean, not in real life. Ha.
feral Nelf druid

AdVenT
07-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Nah girls aren't bad at games, I've played against female gamers and they're not bad actually.

~SapphireStar~
07-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Good for you hun ... we just got our arse kicked in AV by the Horde.

Griff
07-15-2006, 11:57 PM
It all depends on the girl and type of game. Most of the time girls get stereotyped with cartooney racing games like Mario Kart and games like the Sims that require alot of micromanagement. And guys get tied in with FPS, violent games, and realistic drivers like Gran Turismo. However I can honestly say that there are girls that can PWN me on our games. I don't think there is any sexual barrier in gaming skill. Although alot of people were shocked when I beat a girl in DDR.

Zeldy
07-15-2006, 11:59 PM
It depends more on the person themselves. There are certain games I beat my brother at, and others he beats me at.

Lionx
07-16-2006, 12:02 AM
One time i was playing in the arcades, this dude and his(i guess gf but could be close friend) was there. The guy insert some quarters, and i raped him. Then i see the girl whisper stuff into his ear, the guy dunks in more quarters, and he was alot harder to play all of a sudden, and i had to take more risks to get in close. I lost because i messed up on my super, and jumped into the fireball(the sticks were funky...but otherwise the super would have went through the fireball, and he would have ate it). So in a way...i dont feel they suck at all, they are only as good as they put into the game.

Rase
07-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I've regularly been killed by players I know to be girls in CoD: United Offensive, and my sister plays a mean Mario Kart: DD!! at times. It basically comes down to whether the person is into gaming or not, not their sex.

Shauna
07-16-2006, 01:12 AM
I think saying a certain gender is better is kinda stupid. It really has got to do with the amount of time people play games for, and their skills in games.

My uncle - played games for most of his life, Me - played games for 5/6 years. I can kick his arse in Tekken, actually, that day I played every single person in that house and I beat them all.

Likewise, my cousin - he's 11, and also played games for most of his life - I can beat him at certain things, he can beat me at certain things. And then there's games we both suck at.

I can't say from my experiences males are better, because I can kick their arses at many games; but I can't say that females are better, because I get my ass handed to me in games too. In my experiences, it depends on the game, and the skills people have in that particular game. :)

NeoCracker
07-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Beating Halo on legendary isn't much of an accomplishment though. My friend can do it easy, yet anyone around here considered a decent player hoses him like nothing. I always hear how easy legendary on Halo is ot most games.

Just thought I'd point that out.

KentaRawr!
07-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Guys seem to be better at video games most of the time, but not really because of their gender. It's because girls were affected by various stereo-types throughout history, thus making newer, more recent stereo-types. The whole "Girls do this" and "Guys do that" things. Somewhere along the way, these evolved into stereo-types involving Video Games. Girls got affected by them in their younger days, and then when they grew out of them, didn't have an interest in Video Games. But I won't deny that a girl who plays just as much as the average guy in the same way is able to beat or is equal to this average dude. I mean, we have girls here at EoFF who play a lot of Video Games. It would be impossible for there to be no girls on the planet who are worse at Video Games, because people are different, and thus react to things differently. So wouldn't that mean that some girls might not be affected by Stereo-Types in the same way as other girls? o.o

DeathKnight
07-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Most girls I've played against are easy as hell. But I'm sure there are tough gaming babes, I'd like to meet them some day =).

LunarWeaver
07-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I don't think females are inferior in anything. Except being male, they may have trouble literally being the other gender. But other then that...

Reine
07-16-2006, 01:55 AM
My rival when I play Doom DeathMatch, is actually a girl. I was rather surprised upon learning that. I often get my arse handed to me, but at times, ive been the one handing out arse xD

Madonna
07-16-2006, 02:13 AM
People who have not exposed themselves much to games are inferior at gaming to those who have.

You would think this self-evident, yet this thread exists.

Markus. D
07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
sexist oppinion if you say yes.

Take Morgan Webb for an example, she is pretty awesome at games.

MAS82587
07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
i know im gonna get flamed for this but on a large scale, men have better hand eye cordination and i just think video games are more of a spatial thing and naturally (for the most part) men are better at this. its in the same way that women are more prone to noticing small details in things, like a dripping faucet for example. on the most very basic form of male vs female, this is what makes females better suited for motherhood. im not being sexist, im just saying there are differences in males and females besides whats in our pants. male and female brains work differently. and when we talk about video games, i assume we are talking about FPS, sports games, arcade games, etc, not RPGs and that kind of thing. rpgs and the such are more like puzzles and stories played with a video games machine, not video games.

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 02:41 AM
I am a girl, and I am just as good (sometimes better) than the guy gamers I know. We are all pretty even and we all sort of get our equal share of the top. But, I also grew up playing video games, my first shooter being Narc. (don't laugh) and I played FPS games, DOOM being the first, nonstop when I was little, so I think that is probably why I am good. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of girls aren't encouraged to play video games as kids the way boys are. But I also notice that whenever I go to a LAN party or something, I am the only girl there. Same with every CCG tourney I've been to, and every miniature tourney I have been to. It really makes me wonder what the heck girls do with their spare time.

DeathKnight
07-16-2006, 02:53 AM
I am a girl, and I am just as good (sometimes better) than the guy gamers I know. We are all pretty even and we all sort of get our equal share of the top. But, I also grew up playing video games, my first shooter being Narc. (don't laugh) and I played FPS games, DOOM being the first, nonstop when I was little, so I think that is probably why I am good. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of girls aren't encouraged to play video games as kids the way boys are. But I also notice that whenever I go to a LAN party or something, I am the only girl there. Same with every CCG tourney I've been to, and every miniature tourney I have been to. It really makes me wonder what the heck girls do with their spare time.

I applaud you with grace :hat:

KaintheDragoon80
07-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Girls have just as much gaming potential as men,
it's just that mostly when girls are growing up they aren't influenced to play or very keen to video games.
It's always been mostly men playing video games, but girls can kick just as much ass.

Craig
07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
I guess girls just aren't good at pushing buttons and directing stuff.

Driving.

DK
07-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Driving.

Winner.

MAS82587
07-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Driving.
thats kind of what im talking about. hand eye cordination has a lot to do with it, and guys are just naturally better at it. most people tend to avoid things they arnt good at, so most girls dont play video games too often. there are exceptions though...

KentaRawr!
07-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Driving.
thats kind of what im talking about. hand eye cordination has a lot to do with it, and guys are just naturally better at it. most people tend to avoid things they arnt good at, so most girls dont play video games too often. there are exceptions though...

I'm not so sure that it's as natural as it is the things they did during their childhood. If a little girl played with dolls, they might concentrate on the details on the doll more after playing with the doll for a long... long time. So then, they might concentrate on smaller details on other things, as you said before. Not to say all girls play dolls of course. That was just an example. So if a guy plays Video Games during their childhood, they'll probably get better at Video Games, and at whatever skills the Video Games they play require. Like how as I played PSO, my typing skills improved, but I also got better at PSO in general. And in T.V., it seems if you ever see girls under the age of 5, they're playing with dolls, and if it's ever a boy, they're doing something stupid. So if a child were to see a lot of this during their younger childhood days, perhaps they would mimick the characters on T.V., so then the girl starts playing with dolls, and my earlier example starts. :mog:

Shauna
07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
LIke Kentarou said, it's probably got more to do with what they did when they were growing up up, and boys are more likely to play video games when they grow up, so their hand-eye coordination skills WOULD be better, because they've developed those skills more than girls have - as girls would be playing with dolls or whatever. :)

Zante
07-16-2006, 07:15 PM
From my experience, most girls dont even play games, but the few that do could own my ass anytime.

rubah
07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Girls have better things to spend their time on, but we also have single minded determinedness, so that if we did spend time on it, we'd naturally be better.

(however we're easy to distract, so~)

DeathKnight
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Girls have better things to spend their time on, but we also have single minded determinedness, so that if we did spend time on it, we'd naturally be better.

http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_indian.jpg

what could be better than v-games????

SHOPPING? Waste time in a mall? spend countless hours on the phone?

Moon Rabbits
07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
No.

drunkymonkey
07-16-2006, 07:43 PM
What race/class are you? In WoW I mean, not in real life. Ha. feral Nelf druidBloody night-elf... Gnomes FTW.

fantasyjunkie
07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I've seen some girls that can really kick ass at games

Old Manus
07-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes.

rubah
07-16-2006, 09:38 PM

http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_indian.jpg

what could be better than v-games????

SHOPPING? Waste time in a mall? spend countless hours on the phone?
Malls are fun, yeah.

And so is playing volleyball with your friends, going swimming, reading books, watching movies, playing music, singing, going out dancing, writing stuff, posting on internet forums, drawing, painting, exercizing, jogging, playing with your pet, grooming your pet, grooming your little brother, etc
oh, and kissing, yeah that one's fun too

Del Murder
07-16-2006, 09:47 PM

I thought guys were the ones who were single minded and girls were the ones who were better at multitasking.

drunkymonkey
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I think that once girls have a task, they'll do it. That's probably what Rubah meant.

Shiny
07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought guys were the ones who were single minded and girls were the ones who were better at multitasking.
That's what we want you to think. But, in all realness girls usually set their mind to one task at a time. Ofcourse, that doesn't mean that we don't put off hundreds of other tasks that go unattended for days.

krayziesaiko
07-17-2006, 12:39 AM
The generalization really bothers me though. I share no characteristics of a "female" supposedly, so it makes me think really that I am not a woman, and depresses me, because I am obviously not a man.

I would much rather play video games than hang out with stupid gossipy girlfriends.

And hand-eye coordination is a learned skill, its not something you are born with. Although some people might naturally be quicker than others, it really is something each person develops with use. The generation of kids (male and female) that grew up playing video games probably are much better drivers than their parents.

Necronopticous
07-17-2006, 12:57 AM
In terms of skill with videogames, females as a group are most definitely inferior to males as a group. This, however, has nothing to do with the individual girl being incapable of being as good as a guy at videogames, it has everything to do with the fact that the demographic of those who play videogames regularly as a part of their life is highly skewed toward male.

I consider myself to be very skilled in Mario Kart DS, but my girlfriend bests me 2/3 times. That's because she actually cares about the game, she's played it as much or more than I have and she is passionate about being skilled at it. It's hard for girls to be passionate about being skilled at unappealing games that are clearly geared toward male interest and mentality, which most competitive games are: First-person-shooters, real-time-strategy, etc.

Girls on an individual level can in no way be considered inferior gamers, and if the Wii actually does what it's setting out to do, this will be a lot more obvious soon.

Markus. D
07-17-2006, 02:26 AM
sexist oppinion if you say yes.

Take Morgan Webb for an example, she is pretty awesome at games.

._.?

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 02:31 AM
I grew up playing doom and I lived on it. I would have withdrawls for the game and I beat it on nightmare everytime I played. I was obsessed and at an early age I drew pictures of doom and its violence at my catholic school. The teachers freaked . Anyways I am a excellent gamer. I almost always get the best egineer reward when playing enemy territory.I can beat most guys. Im yet to find anyone that I believe is overly better than me male or female at video games.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
No, I don't think that girl gamers are inferior gamers. I do lose against my brother in Super Smash Bros. Melee but I almost always win or usually I do. My brother(A.K.A. Ultima Cloud) is better than me at the Naruto game.:) :kaocheer:

edczxcvbnm
07-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I voted yes to be an ass and because it is for the most part true but it has to do with how people are raised more or less. Giving a controller to your average woman is like giving a controller to the average 80 year old. Good luck. Age has a lot do with how fast they pick up on stuff. 8 vs 15 will make a world of difference in things like eye hand coordination.

bipper
07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
I voted yes to be an ass and because it is for the most part true but it has to do with how people are raised more or less. Giving a controller to your average woman is like giving a controller to the average 80 year old. Good luck. Age has a lot do with how fast they pick up on stuff. 8 vs 15 will make a world of difference in things like eye hand coordination.

Quoted For Ultimate Wistom And Benevolency

mesmerized
07-23-2006, 10:44 PM
i think it depends...u can't speak about this in such general terms...my best (male) friend is an expert in shooter but I take him by far in RPG's!

Spammerman
07-23-2006, 10:47 PM
i agree with mesmerized. I can beat a lot of girls in games, but when it comes to domino man, my aunt pwns.

mesmerized
07-23-2006, 11:00 PM
i agree with mesmerized. I can beat a lot of girls in games, but when it comes to domino man, my aunt pwns.
weren't we talking aabout videogames? never had ur ass kicked in any vieo game by a girl?

Lady_Luck
07-24-2006, 04:32 AM
O! I know I'm late, but I wanna comment :D As a girl gamer, and a member of an all girl gaming clan for xbox, 360, PS2, and PC, and of various other girl gaming communities, it really just depends on the girl, same as it would with a guy. Truth be told, of the 500+ ladies in my clan, the majority of them are +20s (just in case none of you believe me, you can find me as LadyLuck PMS on the PMS Clan website and forums > www.pmsclan.com)

You'd be surprised on how well ladies can pick things up. It's not so much needing to learn the coordination, but rather wanting too. Just like you don't like a sport or game you're not good at, if you start playing video games and you always lose (which is the case with most ladies starting out with help from boyfriends or husbands), then you have no desire to get better or really try :)

ValkyrieWing
07-29-2006, 04:58 AM
I've been a gamer since I was 5 years old...(I can still remember playing Super Breakout on Atari...Woo!), and I work at my local GameStop. Yes, i am a good gamer. My mom's even better than me. She beats more games than I do.

We all aren't just boobs, ya know.

bipper
07-29-2006, 05:04 AM
A gril playing video games usually has be staring at the player more than the screen ( that is hawt ).. So they pwn me - and I could care less :jokey:

Cookie
07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't think of female gamers as inferior, just harder to come across.

Mirage
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
The girls that actually are gamers are usually not worse than males. However, most girls don't care about ever learning how to play games, because they aren't interested. However, these girls should not count, because they aren't gamers.
The average guy is likely to be a better gamer than the average girl, but that is because far more guys play games than girls. However, 100% of the gamer girls play games, just like 100% of the gamer guys play games. Therefore, I think those are pretty equal.
Ofcourse, having more male players increase the chance of finding someone that is really talented.

Ultima Shadow
07-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I've heared that girls actually got slightly better reflexes than guys (no big difference, but it's still there). And in that case, girls would actually have a slightly higher potentional than guys when it comes to gaming. It's just that they never (or very rarely) bother to get as good at games as the extreme hardcore-playing guys.

Random cool fact: One of the better Samus players in the world in SSBM is actually a girl. She's not THE best Samus player, but I think it's pretty safe to say she's atleast one of the best.