PDA

View Full Version : Are You Happy?

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Some people say they are happy when they really aren't. They base their happiness on things such as cars, girls (or guys), money, a fancy job and so on rather than basing their happiness from within themselves. See, basing your happiness on objects is called object-referral. That kind of happiness doesn't last forever. Object-referral happiness only lasts as long as the object of referance is there. Once that fancy job title, sexy girlfriend, money, or car is gone, your confindence goes away as well. When you are truely happy and base you happiness from within, that happiness or confidence doesn't go away. It can be called self-referral. What I mean from happiness coming from within is that you draw your happiness based on true self-confindence. That means you love yourself and you are unfearful of being yourself. Some people avoid being themselves in fear that people won't like them. If you constantly look for approval, you will NEVER be truely happy. The thing with object-referral happiness that you have that fany job, supermodel girlfriend, and you draw happiness from you money is being you think with all that stuff, people will like you, but when all that stuff is gone, you have to find another way to get people to like you. You search for that acceptance and are affraid you won't be accepted. When you are truely happy, this fear doesn't exist because you have self-confindence.

So, I'll ask you now: Are you happy? Please don't make a joke out of this thread, I want a serious discussion.

~SapphireStar~
07-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Well I have my family, a roof over my head, still got my boyfriend after all the crap we've gone through, gotten into the university I was trying to transfer to and I know people love and care about me. That makes me happy.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 01:12 AM
You make me chuckle.

No I'm not happy, You know the reasons I'm not happy, because I have none of the above. I have no car, therefore no way to get around and have a life, I have money, it's not keeping me happy because all it does is buy me material things, which yeah like you said, keep me temporarily happy. I am lonely, sad and depressed, because my material wealth isn't enough to get me to were I want to go. Money gets me the car, car gets me out of this house I dub as solitary confinement. In a sense money does equal happiness, You have shelter, it cost money, your food cost money, money keeps the nessecities for you. Now if you say "But the poor people in Africa are happy" they are content with their lives, they get charity work, strangely, charity work revolves around money. I would sell all my material items that I have to be truely happy and content with my life for one day, but if I sold all the things I have to make me happy, it would buy a car, yet another material item, no one is happy alone and with nothing. Everyone is happy because of -something- material or sentimental. But everyone needs someone, and something, it's a basic part of life.

Oh and I'm content with my life, there's nothing to take from me, but always something to gain. I'm just not happy with having nothing in the sentimental sense. Yeah sure people care about me, but I want to be with those people. Not having to live my life out of a room and a job for a few hours.

Venom
07-16-2006, 01:13 AM
I think at this point in my life I am very happy.:D

daggertrepe
07-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Whatever. My mom takes care of me, so yes. Excpet for school-school is a hell hole. :mad:

Levian
07-16-2006, 01:21 AM
You got the wrong forum if you don't want jokes, buddy.

Me? Yeah, I'm pretty happy. I have great friends, a decent job. I just got a place to live, and I got acceptance to college. And that does make me happy. Also self referral happiness, or whatever you call them, only lasts as long as you last, so you know, might as well have some object referrals. Everything is temporary. Also, the happiness I get from my friends won't last forever, but it will last a pretty damn long time.

Besides, if something should go wrong, there's always bingo nights. <--- lol joke :laugh:

Shiny
07-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm happy, because I realize that meaningless material objects can never keep me happy for long. It's the things that matter in life that keep me happy.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Yup, im happy. I have a house to live in, food, people who love me. And a great family. Course im happy. There are those bumps in the road, but its all good. :D

Shauna
07-16-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm happy. :)
Sure I may go through periods of unhappiness where I feel like crying every moment of the day... but since I shrugged off those people who try to call themselves my friends, and now that things with my Mum moving out have all calmed down... I really am happy, and I haven't had any depressed moments for ages. :)

So yeah, I'm happy. Bored, but very happy. :D

DeathKnight
07-16-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm me, why bother caring 'bout emotions? they come and go, as long as I'm me, I don't care 'bout "I'm I happy" :meditate:

LunarWeaver
07-16-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm never consistently happy or consistently sad. I bounce between them at a normal rate like all people do. Anybody who expects to ever reach some sort of pure constant state of happy-time is never going to get it. Money and other material things can, however, alleviate a lot of problems and stress and allow you to focus on being happy, so I wouldn't totally count those out either. Overall, I'm content though. So yes. Probably should have just said "yes".

Hambone
07-16-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm happy.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm never consistently happy or consistently sad. I bounce between them at a normal rate like all people do. Anybody who expects to ever reach some sort of pure constant state of happy-time is never going to get it. Money and other material things can, however, alleviate a lot of problems and stress and allow you to focus on being happy, so I wouldn't totally count those out either. Overall, I'm content though. So yes. Probably should have just said "yes".
My frieeendd~~~ Content and happy are different things in this case. If I said "yes" to being content, then I would be okay with how my life is, but yet I am not. Content with your life means that you would be alright with living like this forever, in a sense that would be your idea of happiness. I am not happy -living- because living would imply me and life are having an awesome time together. But we are not.
Therefore, I exist until I can find the true happiness, I don't expect it by anymeans. So if things stay how they are now, alone and solitary with the few people I see at work and the customers I help, that's okay, because I honestly don't believe that I can be happy being alone, or going around doing as I'm doing. I'm selfless to the point it's self-destructive, I'm -very- aware of that, but yet I keep existing. I'd rather go around and jump infront of 100 bullets for the very few people I care about then dodge one bullet and let it hit one of them. Until I feel like I am free in the literall sense, and that I can live with out relying on others help because help is very rare when it comes to helping me, then I will just keep existing.
The only thing that does make me any kind of happy, is when I make others happy. But that seems to last as long as material happiness, because I can't keep people happy forever, if I could I'd do anything for that person that could say "Hey, I think you will keep me happy for the rest of my life" but I don't have that since of confidence, I don't care about my well being, I care about everyone elses. Because I'm a slightly different ignorant human just like everyone else. (Contradicting I know.) :eep:

Point being.. I don't care about my happiness, I can be alone my entire life, just as long as everyone else I know is happy.

Faris
07-16-2006, 01:57 AM
I don't know. I'm happy with the friends I've got, but I have issues that make me feel very unhappy. That's my honest answer for ya'.

LunarWeaver
07-16-2006, 01:57 AM
My frieeendd~~~ Content and happy are different things in this case. If I said "yes" to being content, then I would be okay with how my life is, but yet I am not. Content with your life means that you would be alright with living like this forever, in a sense that would be your idea of happiness.

That is quite right my Zozo friend, I just made a bad choice by using the word content. You may spit on it like it deserves. Sneak a kick in too, nobody's watching. What I meant to say was I'm happy the majority of the time and feel comfortable describing myself as a happy person.

Reine
07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
What is this happiness of which you speak?

Im never really happy these days, something can brighten my mood for a while, but thats it. I tend to get new games every week to distract my mind from thinking about reality, as that usually makes me depressed

oddler
07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Humor keeps me happy. As long as I have something or someone that makes me laugh, I'm good. (That's a yes, by the way. Totally blissful.)

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't know. I'm happy with the friends I've got, but I have issues that make me feel very unhappy. That's my honest answer for ya'.
Honest answers are always good. =D

That is quite right my Zozo friend, I just made a bad choice by using the word content. You may spit on it like it deserves. Sneak a kick in too, nobody's watching. What I meant to say was I'm happy the majority of the time and feel comfortable describing myself as a happy person.
Yeah I understand and I'm not going to kick it, that'd be mean. And I didn't spit on it, I guess this thread hits a nerve because I'm lacking the inability to understand why everyone is all "WAHOO Life" and then there's me stating my blunt honest truth and I always seem like the happy one. :greenie:

Dreddz
07-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Being a teenager, I really dont know.....

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 02:19 AM
And thus I am laid bare...

I have a roof over my head, am able to eat everyday, have a loving relationship with my girlfriend of almost ten months, one of my parents cares and actively tries to accept what I have become after being raised, a few close friends, and a talent, as I am told, in the arts and writing.

However, I am not happy, for a number of reasons - many of which I feel are deeply personal and have no reason to be displayed to the public. Some are disorders that require medications and various exercizes, but they seem to continually fall short. They say that only the willing may be healed, and I do in fact wish for these afflictions to be gone, but they remain. Perhaps I will 'grow' out of them in time, for I am in fact only 18 as of right now. Yet, the greatest problem is that I cannot accept myself. I am not content with me. I fall short too often. Humans cannot attain perfection, but there is an indominatable need to be perfect within me, most likely instilled by my father...

I've had a rough and difficult life, but within the last year or so, things have taken a somewhat better turn. For those that suffer from clinical depression, aspirations and goals aren't actively laid or achieved, yet now I am making goals, and my old aspirations have become rekindled. Not only that, but new aspirations have crept into my life. Graduating may have been a very lovely catalyst for happiness. And in addition, being in a loving relationship with an understanding and caring girlfriend of almost ten months definately helps.

It's a struggle, but I do think I am crawling, slowly, out of the hell-hole that my father and I dug for my mind, body, and spirit. I'm not happy yet, but there is a dim light across the nether now, and I am making every effort to keep that dismal light within my grasp.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Oh and I'm 'happy' now.

You can gamble in Oklahoma at 18. I'm 20 so maybe I can win me moneys for a car. *had to lighten up her feel, 'cause she's the only one who totally snapped at the question* :D :D

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 02:35 AM
I am happy. I have no reason not to be. A funny statistic I learned in school, when we were talking about something similar to this in one of my philosophy classes, was how so many people who win the lottery end up depressed and/or commit/attempt suicide. I also find it funny that, I notice, most people are the least happy when they DO have everything they have ever wanted. I think when you don't have enough money, or what-have-you, its really easy to say, "well, I'll be happy once I get more money" but what if you get the money and then you AREN'T happy? I think a lot of people don't know what they really want. I also don't think many people appreciate the route they take to get places. So many people I go to school with complain about how much they hate school, and how they can't wait to leave school and be [insert job title here] I can't help but think that these people will grow up to be the same people that complain about their jobs all the time and say they can't wait for retirement. I totally agree that each person is responsible for his/her happiness, unless you actually have a chemical imbalance. But it seems to me that some people are just unable to satisfy. Like no matter it is, something is always wrong. I think this is sad, because I think so many people throw peices of their life away being upset. Its like when I was anorexic, I couldn't just exist, and be happy, I had to lose 5 MORE POUNDS. And no matter what, I couldn't do anything, couldn't go outside until I lost 5 more pounds. And once I lost those 5 pounds, it wouldn't be good enough and I would have to lose 6 more. That's how a lot of people come off to me, where once they get what they want they are still unsatisfied. I'm satisfied with the fact that I can breathe. I have a lot of things to be happy about, but I have been happy, in situations where I should have been sad.

I mean, general happiness, though. No one is going to be 100% happy every moment of every day. You can be generally and genuinely happy and still have a bad day.

theundeadhero
07-16-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm not a materialistic type of person, and am usually pretty happy.

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 02:48 AM
What is this happiness of which you speak?

Im never really happy these days, something can brighten my mood for a while, but thats it. I tend to get new games every week to distract my mind from thinking about reality, as that usually makes me depressed
This happiness I speak of comes from yourself. Video games can keep you busy and take your mind off of real life, but they won't make you happy. The happiness I speak of comes from loving yourself and having self-confidence. With self-confidence, true happiness from within, you can overcome anything really because you will always have yourself to fall back on. It's like your inner spirit, your true self is the base of your happiness. Now, if you rely on video games, drugs, friends or anything that doesn't come from within to the point where it is the base of your happiness, once the effects of the drugs or the friend becomes an enemy or the video game gets boring, your base of happiness will crash down. If you are the base of your happiness and you have self-confidence, nothing can break you.

SammieBabe
07-16-2006, 02:49 AM
For one of the first times in my life, yeah, I'm honestly happy...:)

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 02:50 AM
*blink blink*

Well Crud.

Okies, I'm happy living how I am 'living'. I love to stare at my walls and wander between the room in the house, maybe when I have the money! I can pay for a taxi and go to the mall and buy nothing because I don't have anymore money! Oh! And then I can wait around for my dad to pick me up! And then when we come back home! I'll get on EoFF and be all "Hey guys! I got to go to the mall today!! ^^!" and no one really understand why the place I work is actually a place that I'm okay with going to. Oh and maybe while I'm at it! I'll be fine never being hugged, or never hearing the words 'I love you' from the people who could have the potential to say it! Oh! And I'll be happy because I'm existing! There's no need for a human to live, no sir-ee! Loneliness is the way to go! I don't need people I need this room, I need transportation that will take me 4 miles and cost me 24 dollars! I need to feel like I'm trapped every minute of the day! I need to feel that my reason for being put on this planet is to help everyone else! I need to pretend that all of that will make me happy!

I ask you, as a favor, for all of you to basically lock yourselves in your room for 2 years, Not be able to be around people, maybe get a job, but have to use a taxi or other people to get there and then actually be in the negative when things are all over. I ask you all to know what it's like to have nothing in a sentimental sense, or to the least, think you may have something but not sure at all. When the only thing that has kept you happy for 2 years being alone, never held, only needed when others need you, and never hearing words of comfort, You'll know why I feel this way. And if you people that are all "You don't need money to be happy" think that's true, then please, feel free to tell every person looking out for me that says "Ashley, You need to get some money and then get a car and then save up and move out." that they are wrong. :eep:

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 02:54 AM
*blink blink*

Well Crud.

Okies, I'm happy living how I am 'living'. I love to stare at my walls and wander between the room in the house, maybe when I have the money! I can pay for a taxi and go to the mall and buy nothing because I don't have anymore money! Oh! And then I can wait around for my dad to pick me up! And then when we come back home! I'll get on EoFF and be all "Hey guys! I got to go to the mall today!! ^^!" and no one really understand why the place I work is actually a place that I'm okay with going to. Oh and maybe while I'm at it! I'll be fine never being hugged, or never hearing the words 'I love you' from the people who could have the potential to say it! Oh! And I'll be happy because I'm existing! There's no need for a human to live, no sir-ee! Loneliness is the way to go! I don't need people I need this room, I need transportation that will take me 4 miles and cost me 24 dollars! I need to feel like I'm trapped every minute of the day! I need to feel that my reason for being put on this planet is to help everyone else! I need to pretend that all of that will make me happy!

I ask you, as a favor, for all of you to basically lock yourselves in your room for 2 years, Not be able to be around people, maybe get a job, but have to use a taxi or other people to get there and then actually be in the negative when things are all over. I ask you all to know what it's like to have nothing in a sentimental sense, or to the least, think you may have something but not sure at all. When the only thing that has kept you happy for 2 years being alone, never held, only needed when others need you, and never hearing words of comfort, You'll know why I feel this way. And if you people that are all "You don't need money to be happy" think that's true, then please, feel free to tell every person looking out for me that says "Ashley, You need to get some money and then get a car and then save up and move out." that they are wrong. :eep:

I can relate to the poorness but not the lonliness. We have more money now, but all year last year we had not enough to even pay our bills. Without my bf, I would be unhappy, but without money, could care less. I could care less if I was on the streets with no food, long as I had him. So I see where you are coming from.

Moon Rabbits
07-16-2006, 02:54 AM
I am not happy with my life right now. Sure, right now I'm not upset or anything, but there's an underlying anger at how my life has turned out so far. Past and present situation stop me from feeling good about myself and as such I am an unhappy person a good portion of the time.

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 03:02 AM
*I ask you all to know what it's like to have nothing in a sentimental sense, or to the least, think you may have something but not sure at all. When the only thing that has kept you happy for 2 years being alone, never held, only needed when others need you, and never hearing words of comfort, You'll know why I feel this way. And if you people that are all "You don't need money to be happy" think that's true, then please, feel free to tell every person looking out for me that says "Ashley, You need to get some money and then get a car and then save up and move out." that they are wrong. :eep:
I know how you feel sort of. I was actually alone for 4 years, yet, I money never couldn't make me happy. I really don't understand your point here, but I think you are saying that money makes you happy. I disagree. I don't even have to know you to tell you that money can't make you happy because it can't make anyone truely happy. Read my first post, it takes about that kind of happiness (the kind you get from money and other material things). It's called object referal and it only lasts as long as the money is there. When that money is gone, so is your happiness. Because it doesn't last, it isn't true happiness.

Plus, let me ask you this: Do you really think money will keep a suicidal person from killing themself? No. But if that person was given guidence to be self-confident... You see where I'm going. Self-power is true power/true happiness. Object-based power is false power/false happiness.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 03:05 AM
I can relate to the poorness but not the lonliness. We have more money now, but all year last year we had not enough to even pay our bills. Without my bf, I would be unhappy, but without money, could care less. I could care less if I was on the streets with no food, long as I had him. So I see where you are coming from.
Thank you for understanding. In my mind money does bring happiness, because there is a person I want to be with, but my financial situation is what keeps stopping. If I had the money to have a car, I'd be alright just as long as I wasn't here and I wasn't alone.

I know how you feel sort of. I was actually alone for 4 years, yet, I money never couldn't make me happy. I really don't understand your point here, but I think you are saying that money makes you happy. I disagree. I don't even have to know you to tell you that money can't make you happy because it can't make anyone truely happy. Read my first post, it takes about that kind of happiness (the kind you get from money and other material things). It's called object referal and it only lasts as long as the money is there. When that money is gone, so is your happiness. Because it doesn't last, it isn't true happiness.

Plus, let me ask you this: Do you really think money will keep a suicidal person from killing themself? No. But if that person was given guidence to be self-confident... You see where I'm going. Self-power is true power/true happiness. Object-based power is false power/false happiness.
Actually you do have to know me.

My family was very wealthy at one point, I grew up thinking I needed no one, that money was my only friend, when ever I was sad, People would buy me stuff. You can't tell me what -I- think because you, like you said, do not know me. We went bankrupt in the 90's, Lost everything, had no money, I went from money being my only friend to learning that people can be friends too. I was living with my mom at the time, who strangely enough was not materialistic. I am back with my dad now. My dad has money, so when ever I seem sad and depressed to him, what does he do. He buys me things, never a car, because he was the one to brought me up to believe I didn't need people. I've had money, I've had no money, I havn't happy for a very long time. Only one thing will make me happy, being with someone I want to atleast be able to be around when I want too, with out money I can't do that. I can't buy a car with my looks, I can't walk, I can't ride a bike. I -need- money to get to sentimentalism. You know who gives me the guidance to be self-confident? My father, oh wait he doesn't because he believes I can be dependent on him alone and be alone at that.
Money will get me to my source of guidance. The person I want to be around, I can't teleport myself places when I wish. I need the money in which you so condem, the money I was raised to believe to get me anywhere. And it can, if I had it. I don't, I am physically alone, maybe not mentally because I know people care, but I am alone, and like I said, people need people. Don't tell me I can be happy with out money, I have no money, I am confined to a house, because of my lack of money. I guess I can attempt to be happy with having nothing of sentimental value, but I don't believe people should ever be alone, and if material things can get you from being alone (AKA a vehicle, a mode of transportation to be with someone) then I am one for material items, and your psycology telling me I am incorrect will never change my ideas on that.

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Thank you for understanding. In my mind money does bring happiness, because there is a person I want to be with, but my financial situation is what keeps stopping. If I had the money to have a car, I'd be alright just as long as I wasn't here and I wasn't alone.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you ment money as in being rich makes you happy which isn't true, but you need money to survive in order to buy food, clothing and shelter. You need the requirements in life to survive.

Rye
07-16-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm very happy lately. :) I just turned 16, I'm healthy, I live in a very nice house, and I have people who really care about me, who I really care about. It's great.

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 03:21 AM
Oh and I'm 'happy' now.

You can gamble in Oklahoma at 18. I'm 20 so maybe I can win me moneys for a car. *had to lighten up her feel, 'cause she's the only one who totally snapped at the question* :D :D
May I inquire as to if this was directed at me? I cannot tell as you refer to someone as her, yet it came immediately after my post. More than anything, I am confused and would appreciate if you, Avarice-ness, could be so kind as to clear things up.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you ment money as in being rich makes you happy which isn't true, but you need money to survive in order to buy food, clothing and shelter. You need the requirements in life to survive.
Which is my point exactly, in the smallest sense, money does equal happiness, you just can't let that ideal control your ideas. And atleast now I can stop defending that ideal. :)

Oh and I'm 'happy' now.

May I inquire as to if this was directed at me? I cannot tell as you refer to someone as her, yet it came immediately after my post. More than anything, I am confused and would appreciate if you, Avarice-ness, could be so kind as to clear things up.
No no no. I meant that -I- snapped at the question. Not you. xD Sorry for the confusion. I meant that I want to liven things up some because I'm not normally the one to get 'offended' or 'defensive' over a topic.

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Alright, I was quite confused considering I am male...

Thanks, and you do have a viable and interesting point that people commonly miss, that being money and how it definately effects people and their states of happiness.

...in the smallest sense, money does equal happiness, you just can't let that ideal control your ideas.

Well-said.

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Actually you do have to know me.

My family was very wealthy at one point, I grew up thinking I needed no one, that money was my only friend, when ever I was sad, People would buy me stuff. You can't tell me what -I- think because you, like you said, do not know me. We went bankrupt in the 90's, Lost everything, had no money, I went from money being my only friend to learning that people can be friends too. I was living with my mom at the time, who strangely enough was not materialistic. I am back with my dad now. My dad has money, so when ever I seem sad and depressed to him, what does he do. He buys me things, never a car, because he was the one to brought me up to believe I didn't need people. I've had money, I've had no money, I havn't happy for a very long time. Only one thing will make me happy, being with someone I want to atleast be able to be around when I want too, with out money I can't do that. I can't buy a car with my looks, I can't walk, I can't ride a bike. I -need- money to get to sentimentalism. You know who gives me the guidance to be self-confident? My father, oh wait he doesn't because he believes I can be dependent on him alone and be alone at that.
Money will get me to my source of guidance. The person I want to be around, I can't teleport myself places when I wish. I need the money in which you so condem, the money I was raised to believe to get me anywhere. And it can, if I had it. I don't, I am physically alone, maybe not mentally because I know people care, but I am alone, and like I said, people need people. Don't tell me I can be happy with out money, I have no money, I am confined to a house, because of my lack of money. I guess I can attempt to be happy with having nothing of sentimental value, but I don't believe people should ever be alone, and if material things can get you from being alone (AKA a vehicle, a mode of transportation to be with someone) then I am one for material items, and your psycology telling me I am incorrect will never change my ideas on that.
Well, like I said in my last post, you need money to survive, but you don't need material things to be happy. This "person you want to be around" seems to be a source of what you think is your happiness, and in order to get to this person, you need a car and money can buy uo a car. I understand that, but please open your mind and listen to me. You may not agree, but please try to be open-minded about this. Materials will not make you self-confident. They will not make you happy for who you are. They will only make you happy for the moment you have them or use them. You can beliece whatever you want, I really can't change you to think my way, but it is fact the material goods will not make someone happy with themselves, and with mine and many other philosopher's idea of true happiness, you need to be happy with who you are to be truely happy.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not saying money can't make you happy. It can, but it is a different kind of happiness that isn't perminate.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm not saying that the one person alone will make me happy. People and a sense of not being alone will. Aside from the fact I'm very dependent of people, I'm also very prideful. I'm very confident in my ability to know I can survive alone, but surviving is not living in my eyes, being with people and helping them, have them help me, always there for each other, that is happiness in my eyes. I'm just a people person. I would rather be happy with what I know makes me happy, then survive in my confidence. :)

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 03:46 AM
I'm not saying that the one person alone will make me happy. People and a sense of not being alone will. Aside from the fact I'm very dependent of people, I'm also very prideful. I'm very confident in my ability to know I can survive alone, but surviving is not living in my eyes, being with people and helping them, have them help me, always there for each other, that is happiness in my eyes. I'm just a people person. I would rather be happy with what I know makes me happy, then survive in my confidence. :)
That's cool. That's how I feel at times, but I am kind of on this personal quest to find my self-confidence. Sorry if I made it sound like I was say you were wrong, but looking back at my post, I guess I was.

Yamaneko
07-16-2006, 03:48 AM
A well-balanced person can derive happiness from many things; cars, homes, and large paychecks included. It might not be for everyone, but for some people it's the way to go. Besides, how do you know you're really happy? You can't be happy all the time.

Christmas
07-16-2006, 03:52 AM
I am full of HAPPINESS everyday. :bigsmile:

SuperNatural
07-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Besides, how do you know you're really happy? You can't be happy all the time.
I guess when you feel good about yourself, don't constantly worry what others say or think about you, can be yourself infront of anyone, and don't feel you have to constantly prove yourself. Of coarse, you can't be happy all the time no matter who you are. We are human and feel many emotions.

Evolavas
07-16-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm on the brink of suicide, you call that happy?

Nah, I'm happy with my life so far. Don't really feel like going into deeper discussion bout it though.

fantasyjunkie
07-16-2006, 04:45 AM
That's about how I feel.

Jebus
07-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Well. I wasn't earlier this month. I tend to get so caught up in how boring my life is, that it depresses the hell out of me. Not to mention the fact that I am quite the lonely person, although when confronted by this, I deny it up and down.

However recently something inside me snapped, and I'm pretty much happy and in a good mood 24/7.

marc
07-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Its wierd, because now I've finally finished school, and have no real commitments, I guess I should be really happy, but I guess I'm not, simply because I'm not content, I feel bored and unchallenged every single day, and find it hard to stimulate myself(unsexually), and find most of the people I know painfully boring (note I said most, some of rather fun to be with), I feel as if my whole life is mess, everything in my life is temporary and I feel very unstable, I guess I'm going through some mid life crisis at the age of 16 because I haven't done anything with my life and I don't know what I'm going to do.
The only thing I've got which I can fall back on is my band which is on the verge of splitting up and I really don't know if I can be bothered to join or form a knew one.
I am highly irritable because of my "man cramps" and I love going clothes shopping with money I don't have which shows that I am becoming more reliant on material possesions to make myself happy.

Wow, I'm surprised how much I managed to write.
Btw, I guessed the secret word in chat today, it was wrote.
That made me happy.

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 05:40 AM

are you talking to me? I WAS saying money in general does not make one happy. But I was referring more to excessive money and objects. I consider cars, and TVs, etc. excessive.

bipper
07-16-2006, 05:51 AM
You make me chuckle.

No I'm not happy, You know the reasons I'm not happy, because I have none of the above. I have no car, therefore no way to get around and have a life, I have money, it's not keeping me happy because all it does is buy me material things, which yeah like you said, keep me temporarily happy. I am lonely, sad and depressed, because my material wealth isn't enough to get me to were I want to go. Money gets me the car, car gets me out of this house I dub as solitary confinement. In a sense money does equal happiness, You have shelter, it cost money, your food cost money, money keeps the nessecities for you. Now if you say "But the poor people in Africa are happy" they are content with their lives, they get charity work, strangely, charity work revolves around money. I would sell all my material items that I have to be truely happy and content with my life for one day, but if I sold all the things I have to make me happy, it would buy a car, yet another material item, no one is happy alone and with nothing. Everyone is happy because of -something- material or sentimental. But everyone needs someone, and something, it's a basic part of life.

Oh and I'm content with my life, there's nothing to take from me, but always something to gain. I'm just not happy with having nothing in the sentimental sense. Yeah sure people care about me, but I want to be with those people. Not having to live my life out of a room and a job for a few hours.

You still have hope.

I tend to be unhappy because of past mistakes; not current short termed and fixable issues.

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 05:54 AM
You still have hope.

I tend to be unhappy because of past mistakes; not current short termed and fixable issues.

If you like where you are at in your life, you have made no mistakes. Each action you took, whether you realized it or not, was necessary for you to be where you are.

bipper
07-16-2006, 06:06 AM
I do not mean mistakes as in bouncing a check for Taco Bell; I am talking mistakes that are unfixable and cost you more than any material value could posess. These things CAN be remedied by the future.

Ryth
07-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Even running the risk of sounding "emo," I must say I am not happy. I have a home, I'm taken care of. I'm lucky and appreciate those things but I am indeed unhappy. I feel unfulfilled and unhappy with who I am and I feel utterly alone. I have little talent in any field of any expertise, I do little with myself, so I'm unhappy with who I am. I try to fix it mind you, I don't sit around sulking about it. The fact that I'm a perfectionist and by habit treat myself like a machine doesn't help me any either. I do little with myself because I seem to have aged much quicker than most seem to, I don't do the wild and rambunctious things most people my age do, though they are immature and generally unwise, they get to live life a little and have something to look back on happily and they're able to be young, which I seem to naturally forbid myself to do. I have to be the good kid. The smart one...

I'm unhappy with my poor social skills, my short term memory, and frequent procrastinating. I have rarely done anything with the smallest amount of adequacy. I'm also horribly paranoid about losing the things I do have and keep close to me and find little way to shake it off, it's gotten so bad recently it's resulted in a lack of sleep, because I can't sleep when I'm depressed. Hell, I've been up for 17 hours already. A couple nights ago I was up for thirty-six hours.

I find myself unable to fix anything, I keep trying though. I feel alone, I have little to no friends off the internet, and well, my town is running amuck with social stereotypes, ignorance, arrogance, and moral immaturity. People close to my age group don't interest me, some cases it's because they're ignorant (that's not intended to sound snobbish) trapped within their careless, pop culture obsessed world and others, they're just people who merely don't share the same interests as I do. Can't really help that, some people don't conflict but they don't really blend and become friends. All I beg for is one best friend to be here with me and support me. I think that's all I need to help me. I'm also bullied frequently in my school. I love to learn, I love technology, so I'm the dork, and the way the archtypical, stereotypical, schools in suburbia run, the dork gets bullied by the popular kids who waste their life blowing off homework and classwork and doing drugs. It makes me feel isolated and unwanted. Hell, when I was younger I just thought there was something wrong with me. Like I was a freak and deserved it. It's just how it seemed. I'm also still dealing with some trauma from things too personal to show publically on a popular message board.

My parents have gotten divorced quite recently, so everything feels tense as my parents try to force me into living with one of them constantly and talk about it, making it all the worse.

My family loves me, I feel that but that may temporary on many accounts. I've left Christianity and I'm Agnostic now. I haven't told my family, but I'm sure a good deal of them would disown me if they knew. It makes me feel uncomfortable, the fear of thinking how they'd feel if they knew about me. I also miss having the belief there may be a God watching me somehow, helping me, but now I'm just filled with skepticism and worry of going to Hell if my skepticism is misplaced.

The only true friends I have are online, I suppose that may be considered pathetic, but few people have made me feel as wanted than they have. Sadly, the bad almost completely destroys the good. The relationship I have with them would be considered unhealthy by my parents and they would ban me from the net if they knew. That would destroy me, and I'm constantly terrified by the thought of losing it all if they found out.

I also have an online girlfriend, who is more important to me than anything, being without the one you truly love for nearly 9 months and never knowing her touch and voice, and love is more painful than being single ever was. Though when I'm with her she fills me with more happiness than I ever felt possible, but it's temporary, only seeing her a couple hours a day. I also have to live with the worry of them being fake. That is unsettling. I also kind of act as the therapist of the group, I listen to all the problems, which add worry and stress to me. I've talked a few people out of more suicides than I can count on one hand. I also keep things to myself for the most part, afraid to lay the same stress and worry to the ones I love.

I have many things materially, I never go a second without feeling grateful for what I have, a lot of the time I feel guilty for all the stuff.

There is a lot of things upsetting me and making me feel miserable. I try constantly to fix them and I won't stop trying. I hope I didn't sound too whiney there.

Jess
07-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I can truly say I'm very very happy at the moment. I've got a roof over my head. Brilliant family and friends. I don't have a job at the moment but my parents give me money when I need it in exchange for me ironing. xD I also have the most amazing boyfriend so, yeah. :jess:

Alive-Cat
07-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I am usually happy. And it usually comes from within myself. Except for those times when I feel like butchering millions of innocent people and soaking myself in their blood and eating puppies. Like now.

krayziesaiko
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I do not mean mistakes as in bouncing a check for Taco Bell; I am talking mistakes that are unfixable and cost you more than any material value could posess. These things CAN be remedied by the future.

those are the mistakes I was talking about too. I have made those mistakes, and usually things turned out for the better because of it.

Resha
07-16-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm so happy sometimes I could burst xD And why not? Even if I didn't have anything (and I have the most awesome, loving people for friends and family in the whole wide world!) I'd still be happy -- because there's so much to do. Can't afford to be unhappy, y'know? No time. :p

But at the end of the day it's people who love me and who I love who make me happy and who make me dance about ^_^

Ramza Beoulve
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not happy because this last 3 months have been just **** for me u.u.

drunkymonkey
07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Indeed. I used to be a bit of a depressive, but lately, in the past year, I've learnt a lot about life and decided to enjoy it, even if it sometimes against me. It's against everyone else too.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm going to McCallum for high school, I get to meet some of my friends, I'm going to Schilterbann for summer vacation, we are going to shop for clothes before school, I'm single, and my family and I had a lot of fun on myn sister's birthday. Yes, I'm happy. :) :kaocheer:

Alive-Cat
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Now is one of the 99% percent's of the time I am completely and utterly happy. Other than when I get really depressed, which is for no reason, I just see no reason to ever be anything but happy. None of my problems matter, in the long run.

hardboiled
07-18-2006, 04:17 AM
good to see most people seem happy.

Me, I say f!@# the world.

Fonzie
07-18-2006, 04:35 AM
I have no soul O_o
/\
[]
[]
[]
[]