PDA

View Full Version : Die Die Die! (SPOILERS)

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 04:08 AM
This thread will contain SPOILERS, so be wary. I REPEAT, THERE ARE BLATANT SPOILERS HERE.

What did you think of how Square seemed to kill off every character, and then suddenly bring him back, even though, realistically, such and such character should have died and stayed that way.

I mean, think about it. How many people die, yet magically come back? Am I the only one that seemed to be annoyed by people reappearing in this game, or are there others that became slightly irritated by EVERYONE coming back?

I didn't wish for each and every individual to die, but having ALL of them come back in the end seemed a little... much...

Meat Puppet
07-16-2006, 04:15 AM
I did find it a little annoying. Like the first time I played through and got that whole "nooo" thing when they die, but when they are like alive in a bed or whatever a couple of days later; it kind of took away the thrill.

Still, it wasn't enough to turn me off the game or punch a whole in the wall or whatever.

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 04:18 AM
I did find it a little annoying. Like the first time I played through and got that whole "nooo" thing when they die, but then they are like in a bed or whatever a couple of days later; it kind of took away the thrill.

Still, it wasn't enough to turn me off the game or punch a whole in the wall or whatever.

Heh, no, of course it didn't make me that upset, and if it did, my my, I would need to talk to someone...

But as you said, it definately took away the thrill, the dramatic qualities of the game were just, well, shot concerning the characters' supposed deaths...

Zeromus_X
As a kid, I guess I never cared, but now that I know that FFII and III had the same thing, I don't really find it annoying. At least Square has better writers now. :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
Yeah, it kind of bugs me, since it was just a cheap way to build artificial drama while making space for new party members. It apparently didn't occur to Square to just let the players switch out characters at their liesure until FFVI.

Zeromus_X
07-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Imagine the amount of death in that game if that weren't the case. xD

theundeadhero
07-16-2006, 04:22 AM
At least our tragic, prince-loving, runaway stays dead. Sure, she comes back as a ghost, but she died :ghost:

*PaladinCecil*
07-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Well...to be fair, they DID keep Tellah dead.

But overall, it was a bad idea to have everyone come back. It diminishes the worthiness of the sacrifice the characters made, and keeping a few more dead would have made the final battle that much more special.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-16-2006, 04:26 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/ffiv-055.png

Yes, the fact that Tella actually died made it that much more impactful when he returned in astral form to root for you during the final battle. Other than that, it was just, "Sup Yang?"

Christmas
07-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Even the king of Baron came back as Odin.

Aralith
07-16-2006, 07:56 AM
I honestly think that this game is what made them decide to kill Aerith in FFVII. Nomura even talked about Aerith's death saying, "We didn't want her to come back, because that's the common cliche." And he goes on about this for a while, but you get the basic idea. Death was so irrelevant in this game, that I really do think it was one of the original reasons for killing Aerith and keeping her dead. It sure did bug the hell out of me though. That everyone lived that is, not that Aerith died (Okay, that bugged me too, but not in the same way).

Nominus Experse
07-16-2006, 08:07 AM
You HAD to bring Aerith up, didn't you Aralith....

But yes, I can see how that may have influenced some things. Personally, I like Aerith being dead, so I don't much care if it's influenced or not.

Zeromus_X
07-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Well it isn't like Joseph, Richard, Ming-wu, Desh (for awhile), Elia, Tellah (for real), Galuf, and General Leo didn't sacrifice themselves/die for whatever reason beforehand. It's a pretty common theme in the series, if not RPGs in general.

Because, you know, someone has to die.

Sefie1999AD
07-16-2006, 10:20 AM
It didn't bother me that many of the characters came back. Tellah stayed dead anyway.

Evastio
07-17-2006, 05:11 AM
I didn't find it annoying at all. I actually found it so awesome on my first playthrough of FFIV when everyone comes back and helps defeat the Giant of Bab-il.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Seeing how this game was made back in 1991(?), I don't expect it to have an epic storyline. Well, at least it wasn't as overdone as Final Fantasy II, where Minwu, Ricard, Scott, Josef, Cid, and the King of Fynn all die.

Lynx
07-17-2006, 05:49 AM
fusoya golbez and tellah actually do die. yang how he lived god only knows. edward how none of your own characters never killed him god only knows. cid holy crap jumps off an airship with a some bombs (he could have jsut threw them but whatever) how he lived will never make sense to me. most people who jump inot huge craters holding bombs die. palom and porom maybe someone eventually got a supersoft for them haha. i may have spelt names wrong but i dont care.

Zeromus_X
07-17-2006, 05:55 AM
fusoya golbez and tellah actually do die.

Yes, Tellah actually dies. Golbez and FuSoYa go into stasis with the other Lunarians.

Lynx
07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
true. so ok tellah dies and everyone else you kill in the game.

Psychotic
07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I think it did begin to get slightly ridiculous, and it makes the ultimate sacrifice of giving your life so that others may live - which were dished out liberally anyway - worthless.

nik0tine
07-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that was retarted. That was the only thing stopping FFIV from being brilliant.

playaGAW
07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
That I do hate in a story when a character dies for a reason then is retconned back in for no reason. Like Jean Grey or Colossus in X-Men comics. In fact a limited comic series was created about death in that medium Dr Strange and Dead Girl. It was very funny. The only one's return that really annoyed me was Cid since there were bombs in his hand. Junk like that just makes me say why??

Prancing Mad
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
What really pissed me off was that everybody died, and you were supposed to be sad about it. Some of them yo ubarely know, and then whammo! they're dead and then the sad music pops in, and you were supposed to cry.

KentaRawr!
07-25-2006, 05:45 AM
They wished them back with the Dragonballs. DUH!

I'm not really annoyed by it, but it was kinda weird. It kinda ruined the drama of their deaths. >_>

Sephex
07-25-2006, 06:17 AM
It didn't really bother me. I never saw why this was such a big deal.

Sylvie
07-25-2006, 06:23 AM
I was pretty surprised after Cid threw himself off an airship, exploding about 10-15 bombs with him, and then falling all that way to hit the ground, and then I find him sleeping in a bed. And then theres poor Yang. He locked himself in that little room, with highly destructive lasers, and then lives. What the hell?

G SpOtZ
07-25-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm still waiting for a FF where every one of the main characters die, one by one, except for the MAIN main guy, and has to fight the rival/final boss alone, and avenge the deaths that were caused. That would be fuggin awesome.

Cruise Control
07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Spoiler: Minwu, Ricard, Scott, Josef, Cid, and the King of Fynn all die.Gee, thanks. Now I don't want to play it. Ass.

Zeromus_X
07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Then why did you look in the spoiler tags? :cat: They were there for a reason. You have nothing to blame but yourself.

I have no clue how I'm going to write all these 'false deaths' into my faq with a straight face on, but I can try.

Cruise Control
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, but it's FF4 it shoudl be safe to assume that its an FF4 spoiler.

licence
08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm still waiting for a FF where every one of the main characters die, one by one, except for the MAIN main guy, and has to fight the rival/final boss alone, and avenge the deaths that were caused. That would be fuggin awesome.

I agree with you on that one. I think there should be a lot more one on one boss fights. FFVIII - Squall vs Seifer springs to mind on that.

Anyways on topic. I think it was annoying in this game how everyone managed to just appear in a bed after situations where no amount of potions or phoenix downs would ever save them. I mean what did they do with Cid? He just blew himself up and splatted onto the ground, I mean did they find him, glue the pieces back together, then revive him?

Jessweeee♪
08-03-2006, 10:47 PM
FFVII spoiler:
Aeris...is dead.
*Cid throws a phoenix down at her*
Aeris: thanks Cid

boys from the dwarf
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
yeah. fair point about everyone returning. if yang had stayed dead the game may have been a bit more dark and emotional and sad which is usually good for games like these. im glad they brought back cid. he's too likeable to die. without Cid and tellah arguing there would be no FF4 like we know it now! palom and porom returning wasnt that suprising actually. the only thing that bugs me about yangs near-death is that it never really explains how he survives. same with cid i suppose.

Jowy
08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Kishi, how in gods name did you get Tella's HP that high for starters. o_o

Most of the 'surprise, I'm alive!' scenarios bothered me. It was heartwarming the first time I saw Palom and Porom on the airship however.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Kishi, how in gods name did you get Tella's HP that high for starters. o_oCodeBreaker. You don't expect me to level up from scratch every time I replay this game, do you?

Moon Rabbits
08-09-2006, 05:28 AM
Everyone's "deaths" were pretty awesome, especially Palom's and Porom's, and I liked the amount of characters dying (even if it was just to make room for new characters) because it sort of seemed like the struggle was larger, more dangerous, or even more realistic because there were so many casualties.

Then they all came back and my love for Palom and Porom's death scene went away.