PDA

View Full Version : The Count of Monte Cristo

tan
07-16-2006, 09:57 PM
I just finished reading this book a while ago for my summer reading for Honors English. This book was a bit... sagging at times (if that makes sense) and reading through it was also a bit hard because it was so long and some parts were a bit useless, honestly. It had its on and off moments for me, I guess. I even stayed up all night (to about 7 A.M.) twice to finish a couple more chapters, which sort of gave me a headache. Overall, I liked the story and the way Dantes sort of dragged out his plans so he could fulfill his revenge was genius, which is mainly why I kept reading.

So, the topic of this thread is: what did you think of The Count of Monte Cristo, either the book or the movie, I guess.

Chris
07-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Even though the movie is considered to be a classic, I found it long-winded and extremely boring. Nothing happened, and it just went on and on and on AND ON.

-N-
07-16-2006, 11:05 PM
It's a classic tale of revenge and redemption. It's almost better than Shakespeare: his tragedy stories always end up in disarray but this is a tragedy where the plan actually works and succeeds. It's awesome.

edczxcvbnm
07-17-2006, 02:00 AM
I have never read the book but I did enjoy the movie. The 2002 version. I have not seen any of the others and probably never will because video rental stores are not known for their impressie catalog of movies and I do not intend to wait for them to get it if they would even consider ordering it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-17-2006, 02:15 AM
I was actually able to see the movie in a special, rather exclusive screening (Jim Caviezel is an alumni of my High School, and he got the entire school out to a theater to watch it). I can honestly say I wasn't terribly impressed. The story was decent, but as my English teacher later pointed out, the fact that he didn't lose everything with his revenge really just glorified the concept that the book was saying was bad.

I may read the book someday, I've heard it to be a lot better than the movie.

Kuzotz
07-17-2006, 04:42 AM
I just finished reading this book a while ago for my summer reading for Honors English. This book was a bit... sagging at times (if that makes sense) and reading through it was also a bit hard because it was so long and some parts were a bit useless, honestly. It had its on and off moments for me, I guess. I even stayed up all night (to about 7 A.M.) twice to finish a couple more chapters, which sort of gave me a headache. Overall, I liked the story and the way Dantes sort of dragged out his plans so he could fulfill his revenge was genius, which is mainly why I kept reading.

So, the topic of this thread is: what did you think of The Count of Monte Cristo, either the book or the movie, I guess.
Honours english eh:?

so what!! I read the book for reccreational fun!!! so in your face.

Anyway yeah its a good book.
Great movie also.

Both versions.

fantasyjunkie
07-17-2006, 05:02 AM
I liked the book but enjoyed the movie with Richard Harris a lot better.

Nominus Experse
07-17-2006, 07:29 AM
I enjoyed the book more, but that may be in part because I read the book first, at my own leisure. I will say, however, that the movie was well done, and it kept me interested - really, I ultimately enjoyed it, but I seem to get more enjoyment out of reading than watching, so I may be biased.

A classic story though, one that is enjoyable in both version, though I lean towards the book more than the movie.

JKTrix
07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I haven't read all of the book (i've never owned it), but I've seen the more recent movie AND the beautiful anime that was made in Japan 2 years ago (It's still coming out on DVD in English).

Check out the anime, it's called 'Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo'. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4194) It really takes a different and futuristic spin on the story (compared to the movie at least) and focuses a lot on Albert and his relationship with the Count, who appears vampiric.

StarChild
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
I was actually able to see the movie in a special, rather exclusive screening (Jim Caviezel is an alumni of my High School, and he got the entire school out to a theater to watch it). I can honestly say I wasn't terribly impressed. The story was decent, but as my English teacher later pointed out, the fact that he didn't lose everything with his revenge really just glorified the concept that the book was saying was bad.

I may read the book someday, I've heard it to be a lot better than the movie.

why must you remind me of that? That was the incident where I walked into Jim Caviezel, and he growled at me -__-; heh.

anyways, the movie was ok, I just recently saw it again on TV...it's better the second time around when you don't have the star breathing down your neck.

Blitz Ace
07-18-2006, 01:00 AM
i actually saw the french mini-series first, with Gérard Depardieu (you know that french guy that seems to be in heaps of french stuff). i heaps liked it, even though it was pretty long. The movie, which i just saw recently, didnt really impress me all that much though, cos there wasnt enough time to really tell the whole story. i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.

krissy
07-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Check out the anime, it's called 'Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo'. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4194) It really takes a different and futuristic spin on the story (compared to the movie at least) and focuses a lot on Albert and his relationship with the Count, who appears vampiric.

oh hakushaku

tan
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.
I would only recommend it to you if you can sit through a 1500-page book without giving up on it. Other than that, it's great :D

Blitz Ace
07-21-2006, 02:33 AM
i havnt read the book yet, but would like to, as all you guys are saying it is pretty good.
I would only recommend it to you if you can sit through a 1500-page book without giving up on it. Other than that, it's great :D
wow, thats pretty dam long... i dont know if id have time to read a book that long, considering that Lord of the Rings took me 3 years to read...

Del Murder
07-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Dumas likes to write on and on about things that really have no relevance to the main plot. I think it was for some kind of social or political commentary, but that's all pretty useless now. Still, I really enjoy his writing and liked the book and the movie.

Thorn
07-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Loved it, borrowed the book today (before having seen this thread) and going to start reading it tonight.

The movie was awsome, the best part of his revenge is how he...

~"Lives a happy life"

The things he did to the other two were just bonus'.

NINJA_Ryu
07-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Movie was too short in the execution of revenge to me, and i want to finsih the book some day, i only got to the part where he was thrown into the Chateau D'if, and then i had to return the book...:(

moldybread
07-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Liked the movie (2002), but I haven't seen anything else, nor have I read the book (so I have nothing to compare it to).

Rostum
07-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Liked the movie (2002), but I haven't seen anything else, nor have I read the book (so I have nothing to compare it to).

Ditto. But I am quite interested to go find the book. Is it really a worthwhile read?

tan
07-23-2006, 09:17 PM

Ditto. But I am quite interested to go find the book. Is it really a worthwhile read?

Well, it is, but there are points where it's really slow (that's what I thought, at least) and you'll want to just throw the book into the fire and forget about it. The story is mostly intriguing, but there are really boring parts, to tell you honestly. If you stick through it, you might get a satisfied feeling, like me, because I knew that I finished a 1500 page book (which is a first) :D