07-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Fruit.

Xaven
07-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Fruit, duh.

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Fruit, duh.

Its a large argument in my family from time to time.... I guess no one else has the debate.

Psychotic
Whoa, why so angry?

It's officially a fruit, but it just fits in with the vegetable posse.

Fonzie
I consider you spelling hilarious, but i'm just messing with you lol. I consider it a fruit. It tastes good with pepper and salt on it, or fried O_o

Tavrobel
07-17-2006, 02:01 AM
It's neither, but I usually grouped it into the Vegetable category, despite how much more sense it makes as a fruit.

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 02:02 AM
I consider you spelling hilarious, but i'm just messing with you lol. I consider it a fruit. It tastes good with pepper and salt on it, or fried O_o

Go on and point out the major errors. I want to see the MAJOR errors that makes it hilarious..;)

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Fruit :)

Shiny
07-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Vegetable.

Fonzie
07-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Do yuo concider the tomatoey two bee a furit or vejetable?:mad2:

Well!?:mad2:

Lol i thought tomatoe was spelt wrong, but i was wrong :p

Chris
07-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Fruit, and it makes a wonderful juice. :)

Xaven
07-17-2006, 02:08 AM

It's tomato. And tomatoes. And tomatoey.

No "e" when it's singular.

Fonzie
07-17-2006, 02:11 AM
I was doing that onpurpose lol Tomatoes are good on hamburgers and sandwhichs also

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 02:11 AM

It's tomato. And tomatoes. And tomatoey.

No "e" when it's singular.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=tomatoe

10 pages spell it wrong on google I really dont care that I added an e. You can talk about hanging me for adding an e but you wont find me at the end of the rope.

Meat Puppet
07-17-2006, 02:13 AM
I've always thought of it as a fruit.

RSL
07-17-2006, 02:15 AM
I always think of corn as a fruit. I eat corn flavored ice cream all the time.

Faris
07-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Food.

Fonzie
07-17-2006, 02:20 AM
I always think of corn as a fruit. I eat corn flavored ice cream all the time.
Dude NASTY...Ugh

Decessus
07-17-2006, 02:35 AM
Botanically speaking, a tomato is the ovary of a magnoliophyta, or in other words: A fruit, or, more precisely, a berry of some sort.

Reine
07-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Tomatoes are classified as fruit, despite tasting and looking like vegetables

rubah
07-17-2006, 02:52 AM
vegetables have a taste?

Weird, and here I thought peppers and okra and asparagus and cucumbers and squash and corn and cabbage all had unique tastes!

Cream asparagus for supper kids! Cabbage in your salads!

NorthernChaosGod
07-17-2006, 03:04 AM
It's a fruit, duh.

The fruit is an edible, brightly coloured (usually red, from the pigment lycopene) berry, 1-2 cm diameter in wild plants, commonly much larger in cultivated forms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 03:19 AM
It's a fruit, duh.

The fruit is an edible, brightly coloured (usually red, from the pigment lycopene) berry, 1-2 cm diameter in wild plants, commonly much larger in cultivated forms.

Why does it have to always ba a rude duh? ITs obvious that some people think it should be a vegetable so why are you so negative. Im enjoying the thread myself. If you are going to contribute to a thread you shouldnt be rude you should be informative and not both. May I fart for the wind to carry it to your face.

oddler
07-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Have seeds? Is fruit. Crouch, lest ye be attacked by stench. ^

feona17
07-17-2006, 04:02 AM
Damn.

It's a fruit? Learning somethin' new everyday...

fire_of_avalon
07-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Botanically speaking, a tomato is the ovary of a magnoliophyta, or in other words: A fruit, or, more precisely, a berry of some sort.
Yay for you and knowing things and saying them before me!

Tomatoes are terrible berries, though. They're pretty good in comparison to other vegatables though. I think that's why people want them to be vegatables.

feona17
07-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Yes berries are usually sweet and nice. Tomatoes, yuckie. Never liked 'em.

NorthernChaosGod
07-17-2006, 04:20 AM
It's a fruit, duh.

Why does it have to always ba a rude duh? ITs obvious that some people think it should be a vegetable so why are you so negative. Im enjoying the thread myself. If you are going to contribute to a thread you shouldnt be rude you should be informative and not both. May I fart for the wind to carry it to your face.
Ok, well whether people think it should be a vegetable or not, that doesn't change the fact that it is a fruit.

Also, if you don't like the way that I respond you can always add me to your ignore list.

lovehurts
07-17-2006, 04:22 AM
It's a fruit, duh.

Ok, well whether people think it should be a vegetable or not, that doesn't change the fact that it is a fruit.

Also, if you don't like the way that I respond you can always add me to your ignore list.

Or I can suggest that you be more polite. The suggestion is not a bad one. Maybe Im just over reacting. Let's not spamm though.

41-Inches-Wide
07-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Have seeds? Is fruit.

It doesn't mean that all that have seeds are fruit, you know. Squash has seeds, and it's a vegetable.
Tomato is a fruit.

Arrianna
07-17-2006, 04:59 AM
It is a fruit...

However legally for trade and tax purposes it is classified as a vegetable.

So both. :D

Rase
07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
I call it a vegetable because at Subway, it's in the vegetable area. :)

G SpOtZ
07-17-2006, 05:12 AM
:mad2: <-- A tomato is an angry face.

DarkLadyNyara
07-17-2006, 06:55 AM
It doesn't mean that all that have seeds are fruit, you know. Squash has seeds, and it's a vegetable.
Tomato is a fruit.
Actually, if you want to get technical, squash are also fruit. A fruit is, by definition, the ovary of an angiosperm, or more simply, the part of the plant that contains the seeds. :D

Jojee
07-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Animal :o

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
It is a fruit...

However legally for trade and tax purposes it is classified as a vegetable.

So both. :D
Winner! It is both. Although not just for trade/tax reasons. The word 'vegetable' can refer to pretty much any edible plant, including all fruits if you really, really wanted it to. But not many people use it in that way. It's up to the user. The word 'vegetable' has no scientific purpose so it's not very easy to say what is and is not a vegetable. Meanwhile, the word fruit does have a scientific definition, being a ripened ovary of a flowering plant.

So technically (and not just because of tax and trade) the tomato really is both a fruit and a vegetable.

Shauna
07-17-2006, 02:01 PM
It's a fruit. =D

Peegee
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
It's neither.

Jebus
07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
to·ma·to Audio pronunciation of "tomato" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (t-mt, -mä-)
n. pl. to·ma·toes

1. A widely cultivated South American plant (Lycopersicon esculentum) having edible, fleshy, usually red fruit.
2. The fruit of this plant.
2. Slang. A woman regarded as attractive.

I don't think I've ever heard it being used for an attractive woman. But I never know what's popular these days.

bipper
07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Tomato is a fruit.
Actually, if you want to get technical, squash are also fruit. A fruit is, by definition, the ovary of an angiosperm, or more simply, the part of the plant that contains the seeds. :D

Yes; in the scientific community, it is considered a fruit. A lot of "vegtables" are. They yeild the nutritional value of a vegtable though, and they do not produce a sweetened flavor, therefoe, they are traditionally known as vegtables. Simply put: Chefs will call them a vegie due to taste and nutrients, a scientist will call them a fruit due to their cosmic implimentations :)

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Tomato is a fruit.

Yes; in the scientific community, it is considered a fruit. A lot of "vegtables" are. They yeild the nutritional value of a vegtable though, and they do not produce a sweetened flavor, therefoe, they are traditionally known as vegtables. Simply put: Chefs will call them a vegie due to taste and nutrients, a scientist will call them a fruit due to their cosmic implimentations :)
Also, scientists won't call them vegetables because vegetable is not a scientific term. :)

bipper
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Tomato is a fruit.

Also, scientists won't call them vegetables because vegetable is not a scientific term. :)

I am fairly sure that vegtable is a scientific term in agriculture . :confused:

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Tomato is a fruit.

Vegetable is a culinary term. Its definition has no scientific value, and is somewhat arbitrary and subjective. Any part of an herbaceous plant that humans eat whole or in part is a vegetable, except for culinary fruits and arguably grains, nuts, herbs, and spices. Also, mushrooms are commonly considered vegetables, despite belonging to a different biological kingdom, namely fungi (which used to be classified as plants).

Vegetables include leaf vegetables (for example lettuce), stem vegetables (asparagus), root vegetables (carrot), flower vegetables (broccoli), bulbs (garlic) and botanical fruits such as cucumbers, squashes, pumpkins, avocados, capsicums, as well as botanical pulses such as green beans, and fleshy, immature seeds such as those of peas or beans.

Since "vegetable" is not a botanical term, there is no contradiction in a plant part being a fruit botanically while still being considered a vegetable (see diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fruitandveg.png)). See Nix v. Hedden for a United States Supreme Court's ruling on the matter.

In general, vegetables are thought of as being savoury, and not sweet (with some exceptions, such as rhubarb and pumpkin).

Spammerman
07-17-2006, 04:50 PM
A tomato is neither, its ketchup.

Shlup
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
The main part of a plant is a vegetable, the things that grow off of plants are fruits. Things that grow off of trees, bushes, and vines are fruit. Carrots and potatoes are vegetables because the plant grows off of them, rather than the other way around.

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
The main part of a plant is a vegetable, the things that grow off of plants are fruits. Things that grow off of trees, bushes, and vines are fruit. Carrots and potatoes are vegetables because the plant grows off of them, rather than the other way around.
Flower are fruit? What about lettuce and cabbage? Nuts? The fig? Peas?

bipper
07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Tomato is a fruit.

Vegetable is a culinary term. Its definition has no scientific value, and is somewhat arbitrary and subjective. Any part of an herbaceous plant that humans eat whole or in part is a vegetable, except for culinary fruits and arguably grains, nuts, herbs, and spices. Also, mushrooms are commonly considered vegetables, despite belonging to a different biological kingdom, namely fungi (which used to be classified as plants).

Vegetables include leaf vegetables (for example lettuce), stem vegetables (asparagus), root vegetables (carrot), flower vegetables (broccoli), bulbs (garlic) and botanical fruits such as cucumbers, squashes, pumpkins, avocados, capsicums, as well as botanical pulses such as green beans, and fleshy, immature seeds such as those of peas or beans.

Since "vegetable" is not a botanical term, there is no contradiction in a plant part being a fruit botanically while still being considered a vegetable (see diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fruitandveg.png)). See Nix v. Hedden for a United States Supreme Court's ruling on the matter.

In general, vegetables are thought of as being savoury, and not sweet (with some exceptions, such as rhubarb and pumpkin).

umm.... that is no source; it is wikipedia :) Agriculture is a science, and vegtable is and agricultural term.

ps. nuts are also considered fruit - to science. Flowers are not though. A fruit must bear seed and the nutrients for the seed to grow.

If you wanna get technical; a tomato is a berry.

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
umm.... that is no source; it is wikipedia :) Agriculture is a science, and vegtable is and agricultural term.
Show me a source that says otherwise.

Also, fruit is a botanical term, and vegetable is not. Where is an online encyclopedia other than Wikipedia then? I'm sure the World Book Encyclopedia is where I first read about this.

EDIT:

Any fruit of the numerous cultivated varieties of Lycopersicon esculentum, a plant of the nightshade family.

The plant is generally much branched and has hairy, strongly odorous, feathery leaves. The drooping, clustered, yellow flowers are followed by red, scarlet, or yellow fruits, which hang from the many branches of one weak stem. The tomato fruit varies in shape from spherical to elongate and in size from 0.6 in. (1.5 cm) across to more than 3 in. (7.5 cm) across. The Spanish were bringing tomatoes from South America to Europe by the early 16th century; they were introduced to North America from Europe by the 1780s. Tomatoes are used raw, cooked as a vegetable or puree, and pickled, canned, and sun-dried. The term also applies to the fruit of L. pimpinelli folium, the tiny currant tomato.

Tomato, common name for a vinelike herb of the nightshade family, native to the Andean regions of South America. The name also refers to the fruit of the herb. Once thought to be poisonous, tomatoes have become one of the most widely grown and commercially important vegetable crops.

Fruit or vegetable?

Botanically speaking, a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant, i.e. a fruit or, more precisely, a berry. However, from a culinary perspective the tomato is typically served as a meal, or part of a main course of a meal, meaning that it would be (and is) considered a vegetable.

This argument has led to actual legal implications in the United States, Australia and China. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy in 1893, declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, using the popular definition which classifies vegetable by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. The case is known as Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304). While the Tomato can be classified as a fruit, it is officially categorized as a definite vegetable in the United States.

The USDA also considers the tomato a vegetable.

It should be noted that strictly speaking the holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883 and not much else. The court does not purport to reclassify tomato for botanical or for any other purpose other than paying a tax under a tariff act.

In concordance with this classification, the tomato has been proposed as the state fruit of New Jersey. Arkansas takes both sides by declaring the "South Arkansas Vine Ripe Pink Tomato" to be both the state fruit and the state vegetable in the same law, citing both its botanical and culinary classifications.

Botanically speaking, the tomato you eat is a fruit. So is a watermelon, green pepper, eggplant, cucumber, and squash. A "fruit" is any fleshy material covering a seed or seeds.

Horticulturally speaking, the tomato is a vegetable plant. The plant is an annual and nonwoody. Most fruits, from a horticulture perspective, are grown on a woody plant (apples, cherries, raspberries, oranges) with the exception of strawberries.

KentaRawr!
07-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Fruit, because Wikipedia said so! :p

bipper
07-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Tomato is a fruit.

It may not have a botanical name; but it is a scientific term when referenced in the science known as agriculture :)

<del>When you bring botanical names into play, the whole thing becomes a non issue lol.</del> guess not.

See what your encyclopedias say about fruit.

The newton says this: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00134.htm

Botanically speaking, anything that bears or is a seed is considered a fruit.
There are different kinds of fruit, ie nuts are a kind of
fruit. Vegetables
are any part of the plant that doesn't have to do with making new plants.
Lettuce is a leaf, carrot is a root, celery is a stem. I think I heard a
story of how the legal definition of a fruit vs. veggie was established as a
way of avoiding taxes or tarifs or something.

vanhoeck

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
The newton says this: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00134.htm

Botanically speaking, anything that bears or is a seed is considered a fruit.
There are different kinds of fruit, ie nuts are a kind of
fruit. Vegetables
are any part of the plant that doesn't have to do with making new plants.
Lettuce is a leaf, carrot is a root, celery is a stem. I think I heard a
story of how the legal definition of a fruit vs. veggie was established as a
way of avoiding taxes or tarifs or something.

vanhoeck
Further proving that vegetable has no specific definition - some scientists are saying one thing, some scientists are saying another.

Someone on the same page...

I do not have an adequate definition for 'vegetable', but my feeling for its
routine meaning is any part of a plant consumed whether a stem (celery), a
leaf (lettuce), a root or tuber (radish, or potato, respectively), and in
some cases the fruit of fertilization or structures bearing them (cucumbers,
yes-tomatoes). Add to this such items as mushrooms (basidiocarps of fungi)
and you get the idea....the term vegetable has come to mean most anything
which is not animal or mineral which we find in the 'produce' section of the
supermarket. Thus, the term vegetable has somewhat lost a botanical
usefulness in that there are more specific terms to use depending on the
particular structure being discussed.

bipper
07-17-2006, 05:19 PM
they have a scientific defintion, just not a botanic definition. As agriculture is a science, and defines vegtables seperately from fruit. Ag = science so Ag term = science term

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Agriculture is an art. ;)

bipper
07-17-2006, 05:45 PM
ag·ri·cul·ture Audio pronunciation of "agriculture" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gr-klchr)
n.

The science, art, and business of cultivating soil, producing crops, and raising livestock; farming.

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
See? I was right. :D

bipper
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I was too! :D

Laugh at face of Danger
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
umm, isn't the cucumber a fruit too? it has seeds.

Loony BoB
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
'tis.

Old Manus
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Bob is :cool: as a cucumber

JKTrix
07-17-2006, 06:16 PM
"INTELLIGENCE is knowing that tomatoes are fruit. WISDOM is knowing not to put tomatoes in fruit salad."

That scrolls across for my screensaver at work.

Arrianna
07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
"INTELLIGENCE is knowing that tomatoes are fruit. WISDOM is knowing not to put tomatoes in fruit salad."

That scrolls across for my screensaver at work.
:laugh: You wouldn't happen to have a source for that quote would you?

Shlup
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Flower are fruit? What about lettuce and cabbage? Nuts? The fig? Peas?
Well there are other criteria too, fatty.

KentaRawr!
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Aren't beans fruit? :confused:

G SpOtZ
07-18-2006, 08:18 AM
I know some members who are fruits =D

EDIT: I voted "my vote doesn't count" because it had zero votes. Vote for that so my vote doesn't stay lonely!

Spammerman
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
im backing up my point now. I think tomatos ar enot a fruit or begetable, but a condiment. you use it to add on to other foods for example, hamburgers, saladas, french fries and more.

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
A Tomato is a fruit, of course.

Heath
07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I was doing that onpurpose lol Tomatoes are good on hamburgers and sandwhichs also

gud one lol

It's a fruit, obviously.

41-Inches-Wide
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM
WAIT! WHAT ABOUT BEANS! You know, the seeds in their nifty pods.

Levian
07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
It's actually a fruit, but it's a vegetable imho.

Ryth
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Tomato is fruity tooty.

Distain
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
OMG I can't belive that this thread went on this long haha. Tomatos are fruit, becuase vegetables don't have seeds,but fruits do and a tomoto has seeds. or somthing like that.

bipper
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
but is a vegtable a full righted human being!? :confused:

Polaris
07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
OMG I can't belive that this thread went on this long haha. Tomatos are fruit, becuase vegetables don't have seeds,but fruits do and a tomoto has seeds. or somthing like that.

Tomatoes are vegetables for Chris sake!!

Loony BoB
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Find a dictionary that defines vegetable as something that doesn't have seeds. Also, what does that make beans? Pumpkin?

Again, fruit and vegetables are not mutually exclusive - one can be both.

Rokk
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Quotes from Wikipedia:

In botany, a fruit is the ripened ovary—together with seeds—of a flowering plant.

However, a great many common vegetables, as well as nuts and grains, are the fruit of the plant species they come from.

and this diagram: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fruitandveg.png

starseeker
07-18-2006, 05:13 PM
I see tomatoes as veg because they do not belong in a fruit salad. Plus tomatoes are savoury and are not eaten for dessert.

bipper
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Find a dictionary that defines vegetable as something that doesn't have seeds. Also, what does that make beans? Pumpkin?

Again, fruit and vegetables are not mutually exclusive - one can be both.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1783540&postcount=13

Jojee
07-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't like to consider it a fruit because I'd feel weird putting fruits in my sandwiches :p