PDA

View Full Version : I'm really embarrassed to admit this, but...

*Autumn*
07-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I just cannot master that silly ship numbers game! It's a real thorn in my side. It is so damn simple, WHY can't I do it?
Anyone got some tips on how to do the sliding number block game?

Zeromus_X
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh god, I hated that game. I never won it either. There's apparently some way to win every time, but I'd never be bothered with memorizing it.

At any rate, it isn't worth it. You get like, a few hundred Gil? Not very much.

The Frog matching game in FFII, on the other hand...

Sefie1999AD
07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
The numbers game is a lot based on luck. Sometimes the numbers just start so that they go well in order, but sometimes you can't get them right no matter how hard you try. In that case, I think you should reset the minigame and try again.

chrs229
07-18-2006, 08:13 AM
i never won at that ship game either...but got all rows complete except the last row

Dr Unne
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
The numbers game is a lot based on luck. Sometimes the numbers just start so that they go well in order, but sometimes you can't get them right no matter how hard you try. In that case, I think you should reset the minigame and try again.

Actually I would bet money that it's always solvable. Unless the game was written by a very poor programmer, it's not hard to generate puzzles only that are solvable. I've never found an unsolvable one yet anyways.

There's a certain way you can solve it without relying on luck. For the first row, first you get the 1,2, and 3 in place. Then you put the 4 all the way on the right in the second row (one tile below where it belongs). Then you rotate the 1,2 and 3 in a counterclockwise direction down to the second row. There will be one tile between the 4 and 3. As soon as the hole lines up correctly, you get move the extra tile out of the way and close the gap between the 3 and 4. Then you rotate the 1,2,3 and 4 back to the first row clockwise. Once the first row is done, you never touch it again. You repeat that procedure for the second row. The last two rows have to be done somewhat simultaneously, but it's mostly the same procedure. If the 13,14 and 15 are out of order, you just rotate the last row and the row above it, wait for the hole to line up, and move whichever is out of order into the proper place, then rotate everything back.

bipper
07-18-2006, 07:01 PM

Actually I would bet money that it's always solvable. Unless the game was written by a very poor programmer, it's not hard to generate puzzles only that are solvable. I've never found an unsolvable one yet anyways.

There's a certain way you can solve it without relying on luck. For the first row, first you get the 1,2, and 3 in place. Then you put the 4 all the way on the right in the second row (one tile below where it belongs). Then you rotate the 1,2 and 3 in a counterclockwise direction down to the second row. There will be one tile between the 4 and 3. As soon as the hole lines up correctly, you get move the extra tile out of the way and close the gap between the 3 and 4. Then you rotate the 1,2,3 and 4 back to the first row clockwise. Once the first row is done, you never touch it again. You repeat that procedure for the second row. The last two rows have to be done somewhat simultaneously, but it's mostly the same procedure. If the 13,14 and 15 are out of order, you just rotate the last row and the row above it, wait for the hole to line up, and move whichever is out of order into the proper place, then rotate everything back.

Simple proof that Unne knows everything about this game! :D

Sefie1999AD
07-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Unne: I didn't mean you need luck to be able to beat the minigame. I meant you need luck to beat it with relative ease. Sometimes the pieces just are in an order that it's very tedious to get them to their proper places, and sometimes everything goes smoothly.

Fireblade13
07-18-2006, 09:11 PM
God Unne! You are the god of slide puzzles! I don't bother with it. I'm trying to get frog 16 for FF2 thouch. What do u get for that anyway?

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
You can get extra Masamunes. Enough said.

*Autumn*
07-19-2006, 07:59 PM
YOU CAN? hey hey hey, in a walkthrough on gamefaqs I heard that the empty treasure chests can be made full by skipping certain full chests next to them or something. Can anyone here elaborate or is it a hoax or can it only work in certain versions? (me have an emulator and i play the original NES rom). Would be appreciated!

ljkkjlcm9
07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I solve that little ship puzzle everytime and it never takes me more than 1 minute, but maybe that's just me, the hardest part is when you get down to the last 2 rows... or the last 5 numbers! Otherwise it's extremely easy

Oh and Unne that method works but requires extra work, you can put the 1 in place and leave it, then the 2 and leave, then just get the 3 and 4 in line, then put the 5 in place, then 6 and leave it, then 7 and 8 in line. THEN I get the 13 and 9 in line counter clockwise, slide the thirteen down with the 9 behind it going above it, then some minor manipulation to get the last 5 tiles in place! MUCH faster then doing an entire row at once, trust me!

THE JACKEL

Dr Unne
07-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I solve that little ship puzzle everytime and it never takes me more than 1 minute, but maybe that's just me, the hardest part is when you get down to the last 2 rows... or the last 5 numbers! Otherwise it's extremely easy

Oh and Unne that method works but requires extra work, you can put the 1 in place and leave it, then the 2 and leave, then just get the 3 and 4 in line, then put the 5 in place, then 6 and leave it, then 7 and 8 in line. THEN I get the 13 and 9 in line counter clockwise, slide the thirteen down with the 9 behind it going above it, then some minor manipulation to get the last 5 tiles in place! MUCH faster then doing an entire row at once, trust me!

THE JACKAL

Sounds like you solve it vertically instead of horizontally, with a bit of extra arranging along the way. It's mostly equivalent to how I do it. There are faster ways, yeah. I never put a whole lot of thought into it.

Lawr
07-21-2006, 11:01 PM
I...think...I've...found...my...master...

TidusMaster
07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
......What Mini game!Frolf,Frolf!

DJZen
07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
You basically have to move 3 tiles at a time in a "wheel" fashion. That's the basic premise to moving one tile around. Everything else is just an extension of that.

bboyshadow-X9
08-15-2006, 02:51 AM
i hate it, i hate it, i hate it yet somehow i cant stop trying to beat it :mad2:

boys from the dwarf
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
ive had trouble even getting to it. is it possible to play in the GBA version. i pressed A and B at the same time 55 times and it wouldnt work. am i doing something wrong? if its what i think it is, it shouldnt be too difficult (i think its one of those puzzles where it is a 4X4 board with 15 numbers and one empty square so you can shuffle them into the correct order.) how are you supposed to get this game to come up and is it even possible to play it on GBA?

EDIT: oh wait. i just read another threaf that answers my question.

EDITED EDIT: yey! i completed it. it took me 17 minutes and 37 seconds but once you get that top row done it becomes a lot easier.

Fireblade13
09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
The mini game is:

While on the ship hit A constantly and a game will come up. You have to arrande the tile 1 thru 8 in a slide puzzle of 9 slots. The faster the better the reward.

Sefie1999AD
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
It's actually a 4x4 board, not 3x3, so you'll need to arrange the tiles from 1 to 15 in 16 slots. I tried it on the GBA version, and I beat it in 2 minutes 51 seconds (EDIT: did it again in 2 minutes 27 seconds) with pretty much no strategy or thinking at all, just luck and the method of trial and error. :p

Paul
09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
oh come on guys, all it takes is a bit of patience and a bit of common sense. it's not hard at all. tricky sometimes, yeah.

Kryton87
09-22-2006, 03:24 AM
I always though it was A and B together 55 times while on the Ship. Anyway... the only thing I know of that it gets you is in the remake (PSX version I think) and it gives you monies. 10,000 if you beat your high score. Anything you want to know, check out the FF1 section of this site. It has everything you could ever want to know about Final Fantasy.