PDA

View Full Version : FF Lost its...(word here)

Rokk
07-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Looking at the new trailers etc, i really think there is something missing, but i just can't pinpoint what it is. I had this slight feeling with X but once i got into it i became alot more convinced it still had it's 'ff feel'. But looking at this new one, (especially the real time battles, which makes it less FF like for a start) I just think, "The real FF feel isn't there" I, personally would be happy with FF8 graphics etc, but probably would choose FF10 graphics and battle system, which is probably the most suitable nowadays. I just fear that their changing too much, soon it might just end up being nothing like it used to be - that's what i fear anyway...:mad:

Is there no harm in keeping the basic system which MAKES these games FF? I'm sorry if you disagree with me, but i really will be upset if it goes off the rails...:cry:

LunarWeaver
07-18-2006, 12:07 AM
By the time you hit XII you better be different then number I.

I am a welcomer of change. I just adapt to each new title and like it for what it has to offer.

If you don't think you will like XII that's fine too. No need to love just because Final Fantasy is on the cover.

Omni-Odin
07-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Don't you think people said that right in between FF VI and VII. There's always change, but Final Fantasy always manages to impress.

Goldenboko
07-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Don't you think people said that right in between FF VI and VII. There's always change, but Final Fantasy always manages to impress.
Exactly.
Graphics in 3D *gasp*... thats what fans are doing, a new battle system? *Gasp*

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 03:41 AM
Well, you'd better get used to it. (No one's forcing you to buy the games, either.) Each game (or, compilation as it looks like they'll be doing from now on) will be by a different development team. There will be many different ideas and each game will have a very different setting and system then others. But the games will never lose the 'FF Spirit'.

And I'm well aware of the candy they shoved into the game for old-school players. Hell, I'm eating all of it.

krayziesaiko
07-18-2006, 05:45 AM
I am SO glad these games always change. It would be really stupid and boring if all of the final fantasy games had the same battle system, same leveling up system, etc. I like ALL (yes all) of the final fantasy games equally....

The only thing that would make Final Fantasy lose its "Feel" for me is if the world did not need saving. Cause that would suck.

But yay for new battle systems and yay for an actual world map (like Dragon Quest VIII) instead of overheads.
Many of the things like that in the earlier final fantasies were mostly because they simply couldn't put that stuff in the game.
I love it.

Rokk
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I am SO glad these games always change. It would be really stupid and boring if all of the final fantasy games had the same battle system, same leveling up system, etc. I like ALL (yes all) of the final fantasy games equally....
I love it.

Yes, I understand, though, I really did like the sphere system that FFX incorporated, and the improved graphics etc. Maybe I can't judge this game from seeing a trailer, but it just seems that losing the old battle system makes it more into an action game. Not sure if I could get used to that.

But hey, I thought FFX was gonna be a write off, but once it came out, I was suprisingly shocked, and no, I am not going to stop buying the games, I've gotta play 'em all! :mog:

I am a welcomer of change. I just adapt to each new title and like it for what it has to offer.

Yes, change in my life is always accepted, if not forced, and with most other video games i really look forward to new game features, added bits etc, but with FF i'm just sentimental perhaps... ;)

Setzer Gabianni
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
The only thing that would make Final Fantasy lose its "Feel" for me is if the world did not need saving. Cause that would suck.

VI - world needed saving
VII - ""
VIII - ""
IX - see a pattern here?

I've heard XII does not have the world saving crap - it's something quite different.

~Setzer Gabbiani

Laugh at face of Danger
07-18-2006, 09:02 PM
soul

DJZen
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Is there no harm in keeping the basic system which MAKES these games FF?

Because then we'd end up with this:
http://www.strizzuth.com/images/ff7GBC.gif

Dreddz
07-18-2006, 10:04 PM
FF has to change at some point....

Rokk
07-18-2006, 10:04 PM

:p ok, i don't mean like that, what i mean is keeping some basic fundamental features which make the game series what it is as i said above:

Yes, I understand, though, I really did like the sphere system that FFX incorporated, and the improved graphics etc.

What this means, is that i found the new system quite nice, actually i would probably prefer this over the other games, and i also welcomed the graphics too, the thing i'm trying to get at is the fact that not engaging in a sub-battle (Swirl screen etc) Just feels to me like it's going to make it more of an action game.

Hmmm, that quote from me seems rather strong, maybe i should tone my feelings down...;)

Dell
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
There's no action-game type in the game. The new battle system still have an ATB (Is this a spoiler?), the only different is the screen does not flashes anymore. And XII don't have a world map (Is this a spoiler too?).

Vikeve
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
These new ff games don't seem to have the final fantasy feel I agree, but things change and there is nothing we can do about that. change can be wierd at first but the best we can do is try to enjoy it. I know I will enjoy the better graphics:)

Vincentsinnerdemon
07-19-2006, 10:25 PM

that was great. im still laughing

tidus_rox
07-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Well, i wont really experiance much change while playing number XII. I have only played number X and X-2. I JUST bought numbers nine and 8 but im on vacation so i cant wait to get home and play them. I really like the battle system. The demo that DQ VIII gave me was pretty cool. The graphics are amazing! Just to look at them is so incredible. But Dreddz is right... it has to change at some point... And all the reviews say that the story line is still in depth, the charators still have great personalities and itis still a true Final Fantasy

Sefie1999AD
07-20-2006, 09:53 AM

That would be really great! :D Seriously, though, I should be fine with the changes, as long they're done well. What I'm more worried about is how many reviews have said the game, especially the characters, seems to be totally lacking emotion.

-X-Trance_Kuja-X-
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
no more random battles:(

Thorn
07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't like the time it's set in. It's far too modern for me, they got those ridiculous looking hovercrafts and stuff.

This is my opinon of the times that the games are set in.

FF6-A bit too far in past
FF7-A bit too far in future
FF8-Way too far in future
FF9-JUST RIGHT! - I love the time it's set in, castles and villages, yet aircrafts aswell. Awsome!
FF10-Tad too far in future

Dynast-Kid
07-21-2006, 05:12 AM
[!]Sorry to interrupt
Support the KH Survivor
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1787560[/!]

*Smites*

~Void

Zeromus_X
07-21-2006, 05:18 AM

I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

LunarWeaver
07-21-2006, 05:51 AM
no more random battles:(

Thank God.

Dynast-Kid
07-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Actually there are random battles.Most enemies can be seen walking around the screen and you can avoid them but sometimes you get ambushed by enemies hiding in tall grass,behind rocks etc.It's very interesting because some enemies setup traps with other monsters and they can track you using the 5 senses.

krayziesaiko
07-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I recently saw many videos of gameplay, and I must say that one change I am particularly happy with is the fully 3D environment.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm not saying anything about FFXII until I've played and beaten it.

I think change is alright in a video game. DoC is a little too much, though.

TidusMaster
07-22-2006, 03:12 AM
By the time you hit XII you better be different then number I.

If you don't think you will like XII that's fine too. No need to love just because Final Fantasy is on the cover.
I agree. every final fantasy game has nothing to do with every other one. So i just look at it as a whole other game!:tongue:

TidusMaster
07-22-2006, 03:15 AM
I don't like the time it's set in. It's far too modern for me, they got those ridiculous looking hovercrafts and stuff.

This is my opinon of the times that the games are set in.

FF7-A bit too far in future
FF8-Way too far in future
FF9-JUST RIGHT! - I love the time it's set in, castles and villages, yet aircrafts aswell. Awsome!
FF10-Tad too far in future
wat do you mean by FF6 being to far into the past!? Its supposed to be futuristic!

CloudedSquall
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
^ Have to agree FF6 isn't THAT far in the past.. if anything it's more futuristic than FF9 but there we go i guess.

I was wondering if people know that this battle system will be like FFXI in the sense that yeah it's real time BUT (n FFXI you don't really get a choice of what you want to do you merely wait for your character to attack after a time) will there be a menu after a scertain amount of time where you can decide what your character is to do? Also will you be able to switch between characters during battle? I have to say i'm looing forward to this game shame i'm a brit and we also get screwed.

Thorn
07-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Well Ok they had some robotic tanks, but alot of the game is in lame villages with wooden boats and farms.

All the final fantasys have wierd futuristic twists which contradict the time. The main one being the swords.

Let's just say that FF6 is set in older times but features futureistic elements such as mechanical stuff. I didnt like that, I think you've got to pick a time and stick with it. So my perception of the game is that it's set primarily in the past but includes futureistic stuff aswell.

And I reckon that 3/4 which is set in the past, is TOO set in the past.

So :tongue:

Oh btw, I've played a demo of this game which I received with my Dragon Quest VIII game. It can be played in real time or nice and slow with turns and paused time. I prefer paused time. The characters also have several different variations of attacking (besides archer) so it's cool.

I was wondering if people know that this battle system will be like FFXI in the sense that yeah it's real time BUT (n FFXI you don't really get a choice of what you want to do you merely wait for your character to attack after a time) will there be a menu after a scertain amount of time where you can decide what your character is to do? Also will you be able to switch between characters during battle? I have to say i'm looing forward to this game shame i'm a brit and we also get screwed.

Yeh there's a nice long guage which needs to fill up to make your next attack. Not sure about switching characters during battle, option didnt jump out at me (Short Demo). Also there's no battle music in the game from what i've seen, so that's lame. But there IS boss music.

Btw, don't double post Tidus Master.

Mirage
07-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I know I'll be playing it in realtime and script the AIs for the two other fighters :p. FFXII seems to have a great and custimisable AI, and I like that.

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
You can't really get a feel for the battle system until you've played it, so I wouldn't go on looks alone.

feona17
07-26-2006, 04:02 AM
Yeah... I don't understand why some of you are so afraid of change, especially with this series. It's BOUND to happen. It's impossible for it not to change. SE is changing, their staff is changing, their ideas are changing, their games are changing. Life is changing. Just cruise along with it, and no worries. You miss the old FF? Play it again.

Zeromus_X
07-26-2006, 08:51 AM
^I mean, seriously. Sakaguchi has even said that he likes how each game is different in it's approach, with different teams working on them. It's time to move on.

LunarWeaver
07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes, I'm glad they change so much too. I'd be so bored if it was the same thing over and over...

Such as this no random encounter and no battle screen business. You're still waiting for bars to fill up and you're still issuing commands... But now you don't have to battle crash and stand in one spot to do it. It's the same thing with ancient annoyances out of the way.

Do people really love waiting for battles to load and standing in a line that much. Sounds like Final Fantasy is gaining a (word) rather then losing it to me.

nanakixiii
07-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Trust me guys, the change they made has been more than perfect. You guys will find out in Oct (or was it Nov... dont really care). I beat the game just couple of weeks ago. Good ending. 20min movie time sweetness! No one will be disappointed with 12 (well, except veeery close-minded people).

superflyy
07-27-2006, 01:40 AM

ahaha that's hilarious! :choc:

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Change is good.