PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Quest (Spoilers)

Omni-Odin
07-18-2006, 01:16 AM
So I just recently started playing this game and in the first two days(yesterday and today) I already picked up three of the four crystals. So, it's not that bad, but is there any storyline at all? I mean, this game came out right when all the first gen. FF's were coming out.

Who is the evil being here in this game? No masterplan, or just wasteful crystal-saving? If it is, I'm close to being done already.

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 01:25 AM
No, there really isn't much real story at all. You eventually find out that an evil entity just known as the 'Dark King' is trying to destroy the world.

That's all. The game should really be played just for it's interesting dungeons, which if I were to actually critique the game, would be it's only redeeming factor (along with the soundtrack which was okay).

Oh, and

you can kill the final boss with Cure and Life spells. Have fun.

DJZen
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
You just have to understand that this game had a VERY different scope and goal than other FF games of its time. It was meant to show people "hey, this is what RPGs are like". I'm not really sure how it was recieved at the time, but the premise was never to deliver a compelling story or interesting characters. Thought I personally think that Benjamin's "WTF?!?!" shrug is one of the greatest animations in game history.

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Heh, yeah.

ljkkjlcm9
07-19-2006, 12:06 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/ljkkjlcm9/wtf.png
mhm yeah

THE JACKEL

Angelroo
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I think this game is chronicles the adventures of a boy who got a little too high one day.

Benjamin: ZOMG my village iss destroyed!!!1one1
*old guy on white cloud comes down*
Old guy: You must save the world!!
Bejamin: Why can't you,you lazy @#&%!!
Old guy: Because I am...t3h weed sage!! And I can't be arsed...but I will randomly appear and offer useless information while polluting your mind with second hand smoke!! puff
Benjamin: Dude...weed...I mean...okay?

But seriously...the music was cool. And the Dark King was sexy! :eek:

Lynx
07-19-2006, 06:49 AM
wasnt it the only final fantasy made and written completely in the us? i heard that somewheres whether its true or not i dont know. none the less i ejoyed playing the game. and i liked the music. 2nd final fantasy i beat i think?

DJZen
07-19-2006, 07:30 AM
No, it was made entirely in Japan. In fact, there's only something like 3 American names in the credits. Another interesting note is that the special thanks section includes the name "T Nomura"... Makes you wonder.

Zeromus_X
07-19-2006, 07:48 AM
And yet it was named 'Final Fantasy USA'? How surprising.

feioncastor
07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES was called "Super Mario USA" in Japan, but was most definitely made out of the game Doki Doki Panic, which was made in Japan. So that little "USA" tag doesn't necessarily imply that it was made entirely in the USA.

Either way, I loved FFMQ. It was/is a fantastic game. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure that I'll play it again some time. There's not much challenge to it, but it is still fun.

DJZen
07-29-2006, 01:24 AM
It was called Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest because it was developed with the US market's general unfamiliarity with RPGs in mind. It was made entirely in Japan though. The only significant work done in the US was the translation, and the packaging.