PDA

View Full Version : Which of these DS games do you think I should get?

KentaRawr!
07-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, my brother and I were just arguing about Tetris DS, and somehow that convinced me to make this topic.

Firstly, I would like to state that reason should be put into your reccomendations. I hate one-liners. :choc2: Secondly, while it would be appreciated if you stayed within the poll, you are most certainly welcome to suggest another game. And lastly, some questions about the games in the poll...

Is Tetris DS worth it if I can play Tetris on a random site's arcade section? How enjoyable are the extra modes? And how is the Wi-Fi play?

In Bleach DS, is there Wi-Fi play? And if there is, how good is it?

In Kirby Canvas Curse, does the touch screen control hinder the over-all fun of the game? If it does, how so?

About Sonic Rush... Well, how good is it? Does the screen switching hinder the gameplay at all? Is there a large focus on story, or is it mostly fast-paced action like earlier Sonic games? Does the new fire-ball attack of Sonic throwing his head at the air really add much to the game? If so, is it a good or bad thing and why?

Big Brain Academy... well, is it actually as fun as people say? Is it really THAT addictive? Can it truly make my mind explode with happiness!?

In Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, does the two screen gameplay hinder anything at all? Is it as good as the first Mario & Luigi RPG? And is the game really short?

In Advance Wars: Dual Strike, would it be too hard for an idiot such as myself to enjoy? Is there a way to tone the difficulty down at all?

Edit: By the by, I already have Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Metroid Prime Hunters and New Super Mario Bros. I also have Mr. Driller, but he's going to be traded in. :)

Rengori
07-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Advance Wars. And there's a way to tone the difficulty down, it's called don't buy Hard Campaign. It wouldn't be too hard since the campaign seemed easier than it was in AW1 and 2. It took me a couple of tries to beat the final battle in the first one (The battle with Eagle at the very end was hard too), I couldn't finish Green Earth before my gameboy got stolen in AW2, but I actually beat the last mission of the first try in this one. Than again, Hawke and Lash are really good COs and Von Bolt sucks. Anyway, I still think it's the easiest AW. Most of the War Room maps have been changed to allow you to stay on top. Like the extra base on Spann Island where there was once a city or owning one of the farther up bases in Land's End.

XxSephirothxX
07-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Definitely Advance Wars.

DeathKnight
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time :up: great game! Sonic Rush might be cool too.

Dreddz
07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Bleach DS, seriously, this game is amazing, alot better than the PSP versions. Im borrowing my friends copy at the moment, but I plan to buy it soon. Also, if your a fan of Bleach, thats another plus point.

JKTrix
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
I actually own all of the games you said :P
First, let me say that the 2 screens don't hinder anything for any notable game.

Tetris DS is a budget title. And it's Tetris. And you can play with 9 other people from around the world AT THE SAME TIME. You can also play with 9 other friends in the same room using just one DS cart. The extra modes are interesting, but you can totally ignore them and enjoy the game. Get it.

Bleach DS is a Smash Brothers style anime fighter (I think it's made by Treasure) that's pretty enjoyable if you're a fan of the show. It's completely in Japanese, and the WiFi is passable. The one time I played it WiFi it was laggy as hell, but then again everyone who has this game is in JAPAN and I was probably downloading an episode of Bleach at the same time :P I don't know if you'll find anyone playing Bleach on WiFi much, as the game has been out for a while and it doesn't exactly have the same longevity as Mario Kart or Tetris.

Kirby is the first 'real' game for the DS, and it was bloody awesome when it came out. It's still really good now, and the touch screen doesn't hurt the game at all (only if you suck at drawing lines). It has some pretty nifty unlockables (songs, characters, different colored lines) and a good bit of challenge. I've had the game since it was released, and I still put it in from time to time.

Sonic: I haven't really played it much. It's pretty cool, but I got it around the same time I got Jump! Superstars so it was kind of pushed out of mind :P

Big Brain Academy is a very fun multiplayer game that anyone can play. I can see how it can be addictive, but I've tended to avoid those behaviours since I went cold turkey from Oblivion a few months ago.

Mario & Luigi is enjoyable and pretty funny at times. I haven't finished it yet so I can't speak on its length, but I think I'm about 13 hours in. It doesn't use the touch screen *at all*, which confused me at first. It's not outstanding really, but recomendable. If you played the previous game then it should be an automatic buy.

Advance Wars is a 'get', for sure. I actually have it in my DS now, I've been playing it again for the last week or so. If only it were online....!

Ok, so I'll rank these in the order of getting (if you're gonna get 'em all anyway)

1: Tetris and Advance Wars (yes, together)
2: Big Brain Academy
3: Kirby
4: Mario & Luigi
5: Sonic or Bleach (don't know Sonic well enough, and Bleach is purely optional)

If you play multiplayer a lot (not just WiFi), Bomberman is another game to get as well. Mario Kart, Big Brain Academy, Tetris and Bomberman are some of the best multiplayer games for the DS.
If you can get a few people to pick up 'Jump! Superstars', that could be pretty awesome as well. It's like a fully customized Smash Brothers using the characters from the Shonen Jump manga (Dragon Ball, Bleach, Naruto, Kenshin, etc). In order to get the most out of the game (if you don't read Japanese) you'll need to consult some FAQs to match the pieces to unlock stuff. It's a cool game on its own, and once you do beat/unlock everything it's like playing through Smash Brothers' mission mode over and over.

Hope that helps.

Skyblade
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, I'm getting a DS soon (don't have much choice. I've worn my SP out. The left shoulder button doesn't work, which makes my Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission hell), so I'm rather interested in this topic. I'm already planning to get Metroid Prime Hunters, and I'm looking out for other new ones, so keep the suggestions coming.

Anyway, the real reason I posted was to comment on Tetris DS. While it's true that you can play Tetris at pretty much every game site in the world, portable Tetris is awesome, as it is a game that can be played anywhere and anytime, no matter how much free time you have. Buy it.

Raebus
07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
No one mentioned Castlevania: dawn of sorrows? A bloody good game with lots of replay points. Ahem, like someone mentioned, Advance wars is a MUST BUY. So fucking addictive although it gets slightly hard later on.

KentaRawr!
07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
No one mentioned Castlevania: dawn of sorrows? A bloody good game with lots of replay points. Ahem, like someone mentioned, Advance wars is a MUST BUY. So smurfing addictive although it gets slightly hard later on.

I already have Castlevania. I said so in the first post. :p

So far Advance Wars is sounding very nice, but it's getting very tough to decide when I look at all the posts... :spin: So far I'm really leaning towards Tetris and Kirby, but it's hard for me to make my decision. :mog: Blargh.

JKTrix
07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Tetris is cheap, so it's feasible to pick up another game at the same time, like how I mentioned Tetris & Advance Wars together. Tetris is a no-brainer, the rest is harder.

KentaRawr!
07-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Well I only have $35 to spend. I might be able to get some good prices at Half.com, though.

ljkkjlcm9
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I have Brain Age and enjoy that one, it can get addicting

But I also have Advance Wars, and Mario and Luigi

However I really enjoy Meteos for those short periods of time when you're just sitting waiting somewhere. Advance Wars is prolly the best on that list though

THE JACKEL

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
mario and luigi

Hambone
07-18-2006, 09:44 PM
where's Trauma Center: Under the Knife?

Raebus
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
where's Trauma Center: Under the Knife?

Good question. ANY list needs that on it, it screws you over on later operations though. :3

Erdrick Holmes
07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Sonic Rush because it's Sonic.

Raebus
07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Sonic Rush because it's Sonic.

and because it's a damn good game with catchy background tunes.

Lionx
07-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I personally like Kirby @@

JKTrix
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney would be a great choice as well, if you can find it. If you can't, the Japanese version has an English Language option. (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1u6b-71-9g-49-en-15-gyakuten-84-j-70-1bpr.html)

Phoenix Wright: Justice For All is coming out pretty soon too. Better to start from the beginning!

Northcrest
07-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Mario and Luigi rocks!!!:goomba: :mario: :luigi: