PDA

View Full Version : who could say they know what squalls going threw

finalfantasyguy4ever
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
i could cause i didnt have any freinds for a while so he must have had a lot of things goign throw his head poor guy

Ryushikaze
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
This is the problem- Squall HAD friends. PLENTY of them, who kept trying to connect, not the least of whom was Quistis. He kept shoving them away because he felt abandoned by Ellone, despite them living at an F'in orphanage.

Lionheart00
07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Ryushikaze is right.........he took almost everything that he had for granted......he just kept focusing on the negative and what could go wrong.......sounds like Squall is a little bit emo if u ask me......

Zeromus_X
07-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Oh dear god...

Anyway, I'm nuetral on Squall's character. He's just another main character, to me. Although I like his development through the story (kinda like Cloud).

Xurts
07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Ryushikaze is right.........he took almost everything that he had for granted......he just kept focusing on the negative and what could go wrong.......sounds like Squall is a little bit emo if u ask me......
No, not emo. Pessimistic.

Lionheart00
07-18-2006, 11:13 PM

I guess pessimistic would be a better word..........:eep:

Xurts
07-18-2006, 11:20 PM

I guess pessimistic would be a better word..........:eep:
:bigbiggri

finalfantasyguy4ever
07-19-2006, 12:17 AM
yea maybe but i do feel sorry for him thought

Arrianna
07-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Yes I understood exactly what he was going through emotionally... and that's why I never want to be 16 again.

Qurange
07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I really, really empathised with Squall when I was younger. I was pretty closed-off, myself.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Urgh. This is why I hate Squall as a character. He is one of the most shallow, uninteresting characters in the series but he succeeds anyway because people think they can identify with him on a 'personal level'.

Not having friends does not make you a lone wolf bad-ass; it just makes you a loser.

Zeromus_X
07-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Yeah, and people that have too many friends to count must be 'winners', huh?

G SpOtZ
07-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Urgh. This is why I hate Squall as a character. He is one of the most shallow, uninteresting characters in the series but he succeeds anyway because people think they can identify with him on a 'personal level'.

Not having friends does not make you a lone wolf bad-ass; it just makes you a loser.
That was a pretty shallow thing to say. Squall was not shallow or uninteresting, if you paid attention to his character. He was actually very deep and did not know how to handle things. He had a complex within him that made him an interesting character. You obviously didn't pay attention to him throughout the whole game, because his character slowly unwrapped itself, disassembled and became a part of the story itself.

Not having friends does not make you a lone wolf bad-ass, and it does not make you a loser. It makes you anti-social, and the cause of it can vary, depending on the situations and lives.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-19-2006, 06:50 AM
No, although I'm sure that would help.

That was a pretty shallow thing to say. Squall was not shallow or uninteresting, if you paid attention to his character. He was actually very deep and did not know how to handle things. He had a complex within him that made him an interesting character. You obviously didn't pay attention to him throughout the whole game, because his character slowly unwrapped itself, disassembled and became a part of the story itself.

Not having friends does not make you a lone wolf bad-ass, and it does not make you a loser. It makes you anti-social, and the cause of it can vary, depending on the situations and lives.
He wasn't complex at all. He has the same, dismissive reaction to almost every situation for the vast majority of the game, until suddenly he begins to care about some chick who he had left hanging off a wall in the previous act. He didn't 'unwrap' slowly; the change was almost instantaneous. Squall's entire existence revolves around the abuse of character archetypes which, unfortunately, makes him a popular character anyway.

Levian
07-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I know exactly what he's going through.

Balamb Garden
Balamb
Fire Cavern
Dollet
Deling
Prison
Missile Base
Galbadia Garden
Galbadia
FH
Esthar
Winhill
Ultimecia's Castle
etc

Christmas
07-19-2006, 10:15 AM
If only there is a honey bee inn in FF VIII, Squall won't behave in such a way. :(

G SpOtZ
07-19-2006, 10:32 AM
No, although I'm sure that would help.

He wasn't complex at all. He has the same, dismissive reaction to almost every situation for the vast majority of the game, until suddenly he begins to care about some chick who he had left hanging off a wall in the previous act. He didn't 'unwrap' slowly; the change was almost instantaneous. Squall's entire existence revolves around the abuse of character archetypes which, unfortunately, makes him a popular character anyway.
He does indeed unwrap slowly. At the beginning of the game, we don't know anything about him. He's just a cold, anti-social, cold kid who replies with "...Whatever." to every question or comment. His history is revealed throughout the game, and he reflects off it through out the game. His complex lies within his past. (I'm assuming you know what a complex is, in the context of which I'm using it in.) He doesn't all of a sudden go from, "...Whatever, go talk to a wall," to, "Let's save the world because I'm not emo anymore!" No, most certainly not. He goes through changes in the game, and those changes are actually PART of the progression of the game. He meets these people that he knew from the past, and they give him the personality that he needs to let out from deep within him, so he can face everything, and it happens progressively. As you can see, he doesn't warm-up to Rinoa right away, he doesn't fall in love with her right away. He goes on this inevitable journey that causes him to realize who he really is, and what he's supposed to do.

His complex is caused by the fact that he was very hurt as a child. Sure, he had friends that pushed him away, he could have been with them, but that's where his complex comes in.

Ryushikaze
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
G spotz, Squall pushed friends away, not vice versa. You may wish to edit your post since I think this is what you were attempting to say.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-19-2006, 12:12 PM
His history is revealed throughout the game
If by 'throughout the game' you mean 'within the space of ten minutes on Disk 2' then yes.

He doesn't all of a sudden go from, "...Whatever, go talk to a wall," to, "Let's save the world because I'm not emo anymore!"
Squall's attitude towards his missions doesn't change at all throughout the game. His change in personality had nothing to do with his acceptance of the final battle; he would have fought Ultimecia had he changed or not. Also, the change was not as dramatic as that sentence made it sound. He simply goes from "I don't care about other people" to "I tolerate the existence of other people, especially this chick I just realized I want to bang"

He goes through changes in the game, and those changes are actually PART of the progression of the game. He meets these people that he knew from the past, and they give him the personality that he needs to let out from deep within him, so he can face everything, and it happens progressively.
I fail to see how him meeting with anyone from his past affected him. The only person who had a definite, undeniable effect on him was Rinoa. As previously mention, he was no more or less willing to face any of his missions at the end of the game than he was at the beginning. The only thing that his new-found friendships seemed to help him with was him saving Rinoa from the Memorial (by reminding him of what a douche bag he was) and allowing him to move through time compression (how that was supposed to work is beyond me).

As you can see, he doesn't warm-up to Rinoa right away, he doesn't fall in love with her right away. He goes on this inevitable journey that causes him to realize who he really is, and what he's supposed to do.
No, he doesn't fall in love right away. He's cold to her, rude to her, leaves her hanging (literally) and then suddenly after she collapses her realizes how much he actually needed her (being unconscious is obviously worse than HANGING OFF A F@#$ING WALL). And then even after she wakes up, he STILL pusses out and hands her over to the authorities. He then needs someone else to tell him that it was a pretty dick move on his part and convince him to once again taking up the role of the gallant knight. Spare me.

His complex is caused by the fact that he was very hurt as a child. Sure, he had friends that pushed him away, he could have been with them, but that's where his complex comes in.
Funny that he can remember the origin of his abandonment issues, yet can't seem to remember who he really is or the fact that he was raised by the person he is initially out to kill and spent his childhood with his fellow SeeD candidates. :rolleyes2

finalfantasyguy4ever
07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
squall would yhave probaly never beat ultimacea or evenj made it thought time conpression remember laguna said about love stuff right before they went in with no friends he wouldd have gotten lost in time conpression and if he did win the final battle with no friends how would he have been able to get out of the stone world without rinoa

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
I did already mention that (rather dismissively to be sure, but it's there).

finalfantasyguy4ever
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
sorry my bad go on

BardTard
07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah. I'm just like Squall in pretty much every way except I'm a girl, I'm real, and sometimes I talk like a prep. I'm anti-social, I say "whatever" to pretty much everything, I'm pessimistic, have abandnment issues and I don't want friends who want be around tomorrow so I end up pushing people away. And I can't handle anything. Yeah... I'm a total Squall.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
07-20-2006, 01:32 AM
I did when I was at school. I was aloner, partially by choice, like him I suppose. But not now, I'm a hyperactive bundle of annoyingnessssss!!