PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for Leblanc? [Spoilers]

BG-57
07-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Does this sound familiar?

A pretty, selfish, and vain woman who dresses in outrageous costumes pursues and otherwise makes life difficult for the younger heroine, mainly by trying to steal something valuable from her.

She is always accompanied by two loyal henchman: one tall and lanky and the other short and stocky.

Except that this character appeared in at least three different anime before FFX-2.

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :greenie:

http://www.newbokan.net/Bancarella/Bimages/Doronjo_BeT.gif

The first is Doronjo from Time Bokan, which I have never seen, unfortunately. Her flunkies are named Tonzura and Boyakki. Since she was first I'm guessing all the later ones are homages to her, Leblanc included. She looks the most like Leblanc of the three of them, IMO.

http://www.illusion-city.com/nadia/chara/grandis.gif

Second is Grandis from Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water. She was one of my favorite characters actually, scheming to steal a precious jewel from the herione Nadia, only to later join forces with her reluctantly, which no doubt inspired the writers of FFX-2 (not to mention her unrequited crush of the dashing Captain Nemo).

Her flunkies are among the best developed: Sanson (the tall one) has tremendous strength and a soft spot for the ship's human mascot, Marie. Hanson (the short one) is a technological wizard who's always working and improving their transformable tank, the Gratan.

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/muze/dvd/224417.JPG

Last and most recently is the Crimson (Red) Scorpion in Steam Detectives. She's a jewel thief who's constantly foiled by Narutaki, a boy wonder private detective. In the manga she's needled by his teenaged assistant, Ling-Ling, especially over her age. Her flunkies are Pasta and Doria. They aren't very well developed in the personalities, but they are loyal in helping her build steam powered battle robots and otherwise assisting her in her schemes.

Another point is that she tends to adopt elaborate disguises to allow her to steal her prizes. This is similar to the way Leblanc hijacks Yuna's identity in the opening concert.

Naturally I was a bit bowled over when I started to play FF-X-2 and saw Leblanc. But I guess it's part of why I like her so much: she has a rich history.

Tavrobel
07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
It's not surprising in the least. I have also heard of many other situations as this in many other forms of literature as well, but unfortunately, I don't remember most of them.

Not to say that it isn't interesting.

Devil Shroom
07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Well it's almost like the Japaneese rule of comedy.

Ya know in cartoons in America and stuff it tends to be the comedy rule of two, like two sidekicks one smart alic and usually cocky, the other slow and sometimes shy, eg. Timon and Pumbaa.

In Japan it's kinda the comedy rule of three. A headstrong woman and two loyal but bumberling henchmen. Like Team Rocket in Pokemon cept I guess they break the stereotype a little since Meowth isn't really bumberling and Jessie isn't the firm leader but ya get what I mean.

Can I just say, I love Sanson from 'Nadia' he's sooo cool. lol.

YTDN
07-19-2006, 05:11 PM
coughTeam Rocketcough

BG-57
07-19-2006, 09:37 PM
It's not surprising in the least. I have also heard of many other situations as this in many other forms of literature as well, but unfortunately, I don't remember most of them.

Not to say that it isn't interesting.

Like maybe the Lion King and Kimba the White Lion?

Well it's almost like the Japaneese rule of comedy.

Ya know in cartoons in America and stuff it tends to be the comedy rule of two, like two sidekicks one smart alic and usually cocky, the other slow and sometimes shy, eg. Timon and Pumbaa..

Yeah it may be tapping into elemental themes. I'd love to know if this type of character predates Time Bokan.

In Japan it's kinda the comedy rule of three. A headstrong woman and two loyal but bumberling henchmen. Like Team Rocket in Pokemon cept I guess they break the stereotype a little since Meowth isn't really bumberling and Jessie isn't the firm leader but ya get what I mean.

coughTeam Rocketcough

I was reminded of Jessie of Team Rocket too, but I can't prove it as easily as with the others. The henchmen are the dead giveaway of the homage in this case. But Leblanc is every bit the diva that Jessie is (although she doesn't put as a job description the way Jessie does).

Can I just say, I love Sanson from 'Nadia' he's sooo cool. lol.

I liked him a lot and pink ties are in now, fashionwise. :D

feona17
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
There's a cutscene in FFX-2 when Leblanc professes to stealing the half sphere, and I swear for a second she's having a.. wardrobe malfunction. :P

Yeah, her character, along with Ormi and Logos were just.. comedic relief.

Devil Shroom
07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
There's a cutscene in FFX-2 when Leblanc professes to stealing the half sphere, and I swear for a second she's having a.. wardrobe malfunction. :P

I saw that too! But on closer inspection I believe it's just the yellow rim of the dress fooling the eyes, but I can't be certain since the sphere's so fuzzy.

Dr.M
07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
its like in 101 dalmations with curlella de'veil and her 2 side kicks! the tall, lanky 1 and the short, skocky one. its not very original on SE part. ar well, i dont mind. i just feel 4 nooj.lol

BG-57
07-22-2006, 12:55 PM
its like in 101 dalmations with curlella de'veil and her 2 side kicks! the tall, lanky 1 and the short, skocky one. its not very original on SE part. ar well, i dont mind. i just feel 4 nooj.lol

You mean Jasper and Horace?

Good point, and Disney is hugely influential on anime. I wouldn't be surprised if that inspired them.