PDA

View Full Version : Girls are more easy than guys to please the shopping Gods and Godess BABES

lovehurts
07-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Ok this thread is debatieng the male vs females shopping habits. What it is covering is wether or not the female shopper is a sucker for store items more than the male.

For example if I was at the store and we were shopping and if a pen had a teddy bear on it my mother and sisster would jump head over a crowd to get to the pen to say how cute it was and to buy that pen meanwhile buying the pikachu eraser as I stand there thinking "suckers...why are you girls so easy cant you see you are being played"

Every once in a while guys will buy a new game...thats ok in my opinion. Only the extermists buy a game every week.....

There are so many small store items and things though that females seem addicted or easily maniuplated to buy.Perfume and teddy bears and stuff like that.

My mother at the store "oh the shirt says ninja turttles brian!!!!" She buys it just right away. Where as I wasnt going to wasite money on it or had expected that anyone should.

Catch where I am going with this? I mean you say mall and the female explodes and the guy can almost hang himself at the water foutain with his tie as his girflriend with "the shopping addiction, or disorder" drags him around for what seems like hours as he forces his cover smile on so that he doesnt get killed for being distastisfied with the whole shopping experience.

DK
07-19-2006, 01:23 AM
I have no idea what you just said.

Meat Puppet
07-19-2006, 01:25 AM
The shopping part isn't so bad. It's the amount of people that are always there that gets to me.

And I don't wear ties.

That is uh... if you're talking about shopping. :confused:

Blitz Ace
07-19-2006, 01:28 AM
something about women being addicted to shopping. yeh, its probably true, lots of girls i know spend way lots of money on new tops, or other crap (mostly clothes though). i only ever go to the shops for cds, games, and new underwear :D

SammieBabe
07-19-2006, 01:28 AM
You've obviously never been shopping with my husband. He's the worst impulse buyer anywhere...:rolleyes2

And your thread title is too long. Short and concise is the way to go!

Yamaneko
07-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Give me $1000 and let me loose at Fry's and you'll think I was a mad woman during a Columbus day sale at JCPenney.

Fonzie
07-19-2006, 01:33 AM
I'm a guy, and i like to go shopping. I mean, who doesn't like new clothes?

lovehurts
07-19-2006, 01:35 AM
You've obviously never been shopping with my husband. He's the worst impulse buyer anywhere...:rolleyes2

Thanks for the tip. I think Im getting off for today ...Im making alot of wierd mistakes here.

Well nothing says Im wrong like that

my husband. He's the worst impulse buyer anywhere...:rolleyes2

Atleast in your case.

Miriel
07-19-2006, 01:36 AM
Seriously, my mom will ask my dad to go to the store and buy a spatula and he'll come back with hundreds of dollars worth of BBQ equipment.

Guys are just as bad as girls, just in different departents.

Just for the record, I don't know any girl past the age of 16 who becomes enamored by teddy bears at the store.

DarknessFromAbove
07-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Meh, I'm a girl, but I only buy things I really need, or really want . . . I like new stuff, but I think it's silly to buy stupid things just because they're there or on sale or something . . .

Jojee
07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Just for the record, I don't know any girl past the age of 16 who becomes enamored by teddy bears at the store. :(

Nominus Experse
07-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Really, it depends on what the girl or guy is buying. In my opinion, both sexes are as bad as the other, it's just some odd stereotype that women shop more, and they may very well. However, that does not mean that they are more impulsive than men. Shopping doesn't always imply buying.

If you want a real test, send a hungry male and a hungry female to the grocery store and see what they come back with...

Shiny
07-19-2006, 02:24 AM
What do you you mean, lovehurts? :confused:

Christmas
07-19-2006, 02:36 AM
I shop for food cause I am hungry.

G SpOtZ
07-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Well yeah, females love spending money more than men, generally. Of course, there ARE exceptions... But I guess it's just the stereotype too.

I can never decide if I wanna buy something or not. If I see something I want, I think really hard if I need and want to spend money on it. Results vary from time to time.

I'd totally wanna buy a pen with a teddy bear on it. And a Ninja Turtles shirt, because the Ninja Turtles are awesome.

Arrianna
07-19-2006, 02:43 AM
Give me $1000 and let me loose at Fry's and you'll think I was a mad woman during a Columbus day sale at JCPenney.
..and that is why it just depends on what the store is selling. I used to have to hide ads for electronics sales from my husband so he wouldn't go shopping. Who knows what he would have come back with.

"but it's the newest version with a ___ processer!"
translation
"but it's so cute and shiny, I have to have it!"

Jojee
07-19-2006, 03:09 AM
translation
"but it's so cute and shiny, I have to have it!" so true, so true. My bf just bought a new computer last year and it's like 10x better than my comp I'm using, but now this year he's getting ANOTHER one. That he's building. That he's spending 2k+ on. And trust me, he's NOT rich. xD He's like, sacrificing food money and other necessities or money that we spend when we go out to the movies ("I can't go out, I gotta save up for my computer!") for it, it's so stupid. "But I need more than 2gb of ram, and I need like 500 gb of space! And of course I have to have 2 video cards, plus more than one monitor, plus it's freaking 800 or more watts XDD They're all what I <i>need</i> to play games on my compu ^__^" and I'm like *swack*

Mirage
07-19-2006, 03:23 AM
The truth.

translation
But that's not the truth. We want it because it is actually better, not because it looks shinier and stuff, that's the reasoning a girl uses when she wants a new thing.

lovehurts
07-19-2006, 03:37 AM
:) I want to apologize if anyone found me sexist. Remember though the only reason I would post this thread would be because I wanted my thoughts challenged. Uncertainty. I posted this thread so that baised on your reactions I could decide wether or not I was thinking wise thoughts. I mean I will admiit I was wrong if I am shown the bright light at the end of the dark tunnel...

Im not sexist. I know my saying so doesn't say much when Ive already said somethings in this thread that some of you consider proof that I am sexist. I apologize.

This thread was started due to observing my mother and sisster. I thought other girls were the same.:)

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Giga Guess
07-19-2006, 03:42 AM

I am too....HORRIBLY impulsive.

Fonzie
07-19-2006, 04:32 AM
:) I want to apologize if anyone found me sexist. Remember though the only reason I would post this thread would be because I wanted my thoughts challenged. Uncertainty. I posted this thread so that baised on your reactions I could decide wether or not I was thinking wise thoughts. I mean I will admiit I was wrong if I am shown the bright light at the end of the dark tunnel...

Im not sexist. I know my saying so doesn't say much when Ive already said somethings in this thread that some of you consider proof that I am sexist. I apologize.

This thread was started due to observing my mother and sisster. I thought other girls were the same.:)

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Don't worry it's a forum...no one knows who you are ;)

oddler
07-19-2006, 05:24 AM

I'm right there with you. I read the poll, the title, and the first sentence and i was like WHAT YOU SAY? :spin:

fantasyjunkie
07-19-2006, 06:31 AM
My wife and 12 year old girl will go NUTS when shopping. Sometimes I think they bring us guys along to carry the things they buy :tongue: ;)

DeathKnight
07-19-2006, 08:18 AM

Levian
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
The topic is the first two sentences in the first post. It's really not that hard to grasp.

"Ok this thread is debatieng the male vs females shopping habits. What it is covering is wether or not the female shopper is a sucker for store items more than the male." ~lovehurts

That being said, I agree with Miriel. Humans in general are suckers for stuff, just different stuff.

DeathKnight
07-19-2006, 08:32 AM
The topic is the first two sentences in the first post. It's really not that hard to grasp.

"Ok this thread is debatieng the male vs females shopping habits. What it is covering is wether or not the female shopper is a sucker for store items more than the male." ~lovehurts

That being said, I agree with Miriel. Humans in general are suckers for stuff, just different stuff.

See! Levian makes it short and sweet. lovehurts talks to much =P.

yeah and I agree, we're all s uckers for different things.

Like me, I'll be buying a PlayStation3 which costs $600! lmao:D Hey! don't blame me, blame Mario and Nintendo for raising me as a v-gamer. :mario: :luigi:

I'm part of "The Gaming Generation" so I'd do anything for it.

Mitch
07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
girls are easier to hate

Blitz Ace
07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I can never decide if I wanna buy something or not. If I see something I want, I think really hard if I need and want to spend money on it. Results vary from time to time.

i agree.

maybe i would be more impulsive if i had constant work, hence giving me the money to spend on stuff on the spot... but i have to ration my cash to make sure i have enough 4 the stuff i really want.

Shauna
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Just for the record, I don't know any girl past the age of 16 who becomes enamored by teddy bears at the store. :(
Well...uhh... you're Jojo! :p :love:

But yeah, I think Miriel's got it. ^_^ Males and females can be as bad as each other when it comes to shopping.

On a side note - I do not act like what you described at all when going shopping. =D

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Who spends more money? Not sure. Guys spend more money on a single item, from my experience, while girls spend more money on a lot of other things.

Who spends more money on things that they will not use more than once or twice? Women. No shadow of a doubt on this one - it's all to do with clothes. There was a survey done in the UK that found that only six percent of women actually wear all the clothes they buy in a given year. That's pathetic. They also found that they are likely to own 150 items of clothing on average... I'm not sure if that counts socks seperately, but you get the idea. The amount of clothes I have seen in the bedroom of a women is obscene. And they will still complain that they have 'nothing to wear'. I would estimate that my girlfriend wears only 5-10% of her clothes. I'm serious. She is overflowing with clothes but hardly wears any of them. It's horrendous. I think of all the money that she could have saved if she'd not spent it on clothes she doesn't wear more than once or twice and... damn, man. She could have saved up hundreds on hundreds. It's insane.

And before the likes of Miriel or Shauna scoff at this, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the more stereotypical woman. You two don't strike me as the kind of girl who spends time shopping for clothes. But I'm quite confident that over 50% of girls are that kind of girl.

Personally, I buy stuff that I'll use. I don't like buying stuff that I won't use. I only buy clothes when I need them, too. Right now I only have three shirts for work and only one pair of jeans without holes. I have one pair of shoes for work, one for not at work. I see no reason to buy more, because I already have something that is both comfortable and takes care of that purpose. I would, however, spend £700 on a new computer... if I had the money. Right now I'm paying off debts and trying to afford my girlfriend's demands (and often having to say 'no' anyway - although she's understanding of it all and even buys me stuff on occasion now! :)).

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
The only things I buy are video games, DVD's, books etc basically things that would generate hours of entertainment for me.
I appreciate the fact that women and men have differing interests which leads me into trying to see the value in what women spend without too much criticism. However I find it hard to believe that the act to purchasing clothes, shoes, jewellry and other various accessories can be such a thrill to most women

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 12:28 PM
However I find it hard to believe that the act to purchasing clothes, shoes, jewellry and other various accessories can be such a thrill to most women
I find it very easy to believe, but hard to understand. How can you not believe it? Have you seen how a girl can react to a 'SALE' sign? I have, many times. They definitely get a thrill.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
However I find it hard to believe that the act to purchasing clothes, shoes, jewellry and other various accessories can be such a thrill to most women
I find it very easy to believe, but hard to understand. How can you not believe it? Have you seen how a girl can react to a 'SALE' sign? I have, many times. They definitely get a thrill.

That is very clear to see. What I'm struggling to understand is why?

Venom
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM

Reine
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Very funny, Kyono clones. Jumping on the bandwagon as usual

If I had the money, Id go abut buying everything I need, but since I dont, I get them week by week. I often get things I dont need as well, like a new dragon ornament, or ornamental dagger, or usually, a new game.

Im only really impulsive when it comes to rare games, where I WILL get it.

My mum isnt impulsive with sale things, and neither have any of the girls ive known, so well, I havent really experienced it myself.

Arrianna
07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
The truth.

translation
But that's not the truth. We want it because it is actually better, not because it looks shinier and stuff, that's the reasoning a girl uses when she wants a new thing.
Yes, because it makes the internet run so much faster. ;)

Just because it's better doesn't mean you NEED it anymore then a lady NEEDS 7 pairs of shoes. And as long as there's a clear spot somewhere in their "cave" the men I know figure they have room for whatever takes their fancy. I have one friend with at least 9 monitors (set up), 20 or 30 computers (mostly 486's and P1's with 4 or 5 P2's), and other electronics gallore. Another friend collects car parts. We constantly joke that he has a new car, one part at a time.

I also wouldn't make comments about women shopping sales considering the way I've seen my guy friends drool everytime there's a sale at Best Buy or Staples. ( I won't even mention Big Lots.)

Resha
07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I HATE SHOPPING :barf: It's boring and it makes my feet hurt and usually whenever I go shopping with my friends I induce them to go to the bookstore and we all just wind up staying there reading books all day.

What I meant is...that's what I'd be able to do if it was a perfect world. Such as it stands, it's not, and I am suppressed cruelly. :(

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
The truth.

translation

Just because it's better doesn't mean you NEED it anymore then a lady NEEDS 7 pairs of shoes. And as long as there's a clear spot somewhere in their "cave" the men I know figure they have room for whatever takes their fancy. I have one friend with at least 9 monitors (set up), 20 or 30 computers (mostly 486's and P1's with 4 or 5 P2's), and other electronics gallore. Another friend collects car parts. We constantly joke that he has a new car, one part at a time.

I also wouldn't make comments about women shopping sales considering the way I've seen my guy friends drool everytime there's a sale at Best Buy or Staples. ( I won't even mention Big Lots.)
Okay, look at it this way.

You have seven pairs of shoes.
We have one computer.

The computer is unable to run a game, so you upgrade the computer to a point that it can play the game (and, if you're smart, you'll upgrade it beyond that so that it can play the games that will come out later on, too). Without the upgrade, you simply can't play that game. It is needed to play the game, so you get it.

Your shoes can take you anywhere. Unless you have some very out of shape shoes, two or three pairs is enough to take you anywhere. You can have one pair for work, one pair for casual and one pair for whatever ballrooms you might happen to be attending. That's enough. The others? They're extras. You can use the other shoes, but you choose not to. If a person has three computers, then I'd agree. But upgrades are required in order to keep up to date with technology. Additional shoes are not needed unless your old shoes are no longer wearable, for example if you had grown out of them or if they had started to break.

Big difference.

Zeldy
07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Both me and my brother are hopeless with money. He's constantly emptying his bank with games coming from every angle. I swear he gets a new parcel everyday. He's already getting a collection of Gashapons from play asia and has so many new games he cant choose which to play first.

Im even worse, I get money and then I spend it straight away.
I spend it all on crap xD I HAVE to buy either a Subway/Mcdonalds and they are expensive for me. Gotta have me a McFlurry.
I spend spend spend spend :(

Arrianna
07-19-2006, 05:50 PM
The truth.

translation

Okay, look at it this way.

You have seven pairs of shoes.
We have one computer.

The computer is unable to run a game, so you upgrade the computer to a point that it can play the game (and, if you're smart, you'll upgrade it beyond that so that it can play the games that will come out later on, too). Without the upgrade, you simply can't play that game. It is needed to play the game, so you get it.

Your shoes can take you anywhere. Unless you have some very out of shape shoes, two or three pairs is enough to take you anywhere. You can have one pair for work, one pair for casual and one pair for whatever ballrooms you might happen to be attending. That's enough. The others? They're extras. You can use the other shoes, but you choose not to. If a person has three computers, then I'd agree. But upgrades are required in order to keep up to date with technology. Additional shoes are not needed unless your old shoes are no longer wearable, for example if you had grown out of them or if they had started to break.

Big difference.
Not really. Here's why.

"The computer is unable to run a game, so you upgrade the computer to a point that it can play the game (and, if you're smart, you'll upgrade it beyond that so that it can play the games that will come out later on, too). Without the upgrade, you simply can't play that game. It is needed to play the game, so you get it."

Translation for shoes.

"This dress in unwearable for an event I'm going to so I buy a new one. Only then my old shoes don't match so I have to buy new ones. Then it turns out that I can't wear that dress to all the other social events of the season so I try and get one that will fit in more then one social scene. I had to buy ANOTHER pair of shoes but hopefully these ones will work with any new outfit I happen to buy this year."

Saying you have one computer doesn't wash anymore then saying it's just shoes. Shoes are worn to go with other clothes. Computers are bought to work with other software. Games, programs, etc. It's all perifials that work into a single package... like having 7 pairs of shoes.

Moon Rabbits
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Same with me...except...I think he's trying to say that girls are some sort of shopping bimbo-species.

:} That's a lie though, because I love shopping and it's easy to please me when I'm shopping. <3 Malls!

Miriel
07-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, I don't even like shopping all that much, but I'll try and clear up a few things for you guys who seem so boggled by women's shopping habits.

The absolute best thing about shopping for clothes is when you try on something and suddenly you just feel absolutely great in it. It can be a dress or a skirt or jeans or shoes. When you put that article of clothes on and feel like you're completely stylin', that's an awesome feeling. And even better is the feeling after you buy that piece of clothing and knowing that you get to take it home.

I don't think that's all too different an experience from a guy who buys whatever it is that guys buy.

For me, that "oooh, I get to take this home!" feeling applies to everything I buy, from books to games, to kitchen appliances. Really makes no difference.

And BoB, you don't need to play those games just like women don't need to have multiple shoes. You want those games because you enjoy them and in order to play those games you need proper equipment. Women enjoy going out and dressing all pretty-like, and in order to do that, they want the proper shoes and clothes.

I can understand why guys like buying computer parts, or car parts, or paintball guns. I don't enjoy those things myself, but I can at least understand why it is they love it so much.

Sometimes I think it's funny how confused guys claim to be about women, cause it's really not that hard to understand.

Shauna
07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I HATE SHOPPING :barf: It's boring and it makes my feet hurt and usually whenever I go shopping with my friends I induce them to go to the bookstore and we all just wind up staying there reading books all day.

What I meant is...that's what I'd be able to do if it was a perfect world. Such as it stands, it's not, and I am suppressed cruelly. :(

I feel your pain, Pooja. <3 My friends wouldn't even LET me take them to a bookstore if we were out, because my friends suck. :(

krayziesaiko
07-19-2006, 08:12 PM
The only things I buy are video games, DVD's, books etc basically things that would generate hours of entertainment for me.
I appreciate the fact that women and men have differing interests which leads me into trying to see the value in what women spend without too much criticism. However I find it hard to believe that the act to purchasing clothes, shoes, jewellry and other various accessories can be such a thrill to most women

don't worry, I'm a girl and I don't necessarily understand it. mostly because I can't really justify buying something that won't be used for anything but decoration.
Shoe-shopping always boggled me the most. You only NEED one pair of shoes, until they wear out. I have worn the same pair of Nike's for 3 years now. I have seen girls with 20+ pairs of shoes. WTF???

Shauna
07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
If I had any clothes that wouldn't look good with trainers, then I most likely would buy another pair of shoes. :) But all my clothes look alright with trainers, so it's all good. =D

Laugh at face of Danger
07-19-2006, 08:16 PM
as the saying goes, "if the shoe fits, buy it in every colour!"

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
"This dress in unwearable for an event I'm going to so I buy a new one.
Why is it unwearable? Is the dress in tatters or something?

Then it turns out that I can't wear that dress to all the other social events of the season so I try and get one that will fit in more then one social scene.
What the hell? You just bought it and now you can't wear it to any other event? What the hell did you buy it for in the first place then? Maybe you should buy something that you can wear to multiple events. And why is it that you can't wear it to these other events, anyway? Can't you wear something to more than one event? If not, that's just stupid.

I had to buy ANOTHER pair of shoes but hopefully these ones will work with any new outfit I happen to buy this year.
Maybe you should have done that in the first place.

Saying you have one computer doesn't wash anymore then saying it's just shoes. Shoes are worn to go with other clothes. Computers are bought to work with other software. Games, programs, etc. It's all perifials that work into a single package... like having 7 pairs of shoes.
No. Upgrading your equipment is buying something that allows you to do greater things. Buying multiple items of the same equipment means you can use any of a bunch of things for the same purpose. You don't see me buying multiple vacuum cleaners, multiple mobile phones (and a lot of people do this, God knows why...), multiple webcams or anything like that. Multiple? Why? Does one not do the purpose of all of them? Maybe it should. This is a guy's way of thinking.

A girl's way of thinking is "Gosh, I used this, but in order to impress the other females of the world, I have to never wear it again, because then they will think I'm poor or... something."

Tip to females: Be more like Nicky or Shauna, because they're smart enough to realise that fashion is nothing more than a scam to get you out of money. Seriously, wearing the same shoes two 'events' in a row is not a big deal. Hell, wearing the same shoes for a week is not a big deal. Let alone a month. I dare you all to try it.

And BoB, you don't need to play those games just like women don't need to have multiple shoes. You want those games because you enjoy them and in order to play those games you need proper equipment.
Well, personally, I don't buy games often at all, either. But that's just me. The fact remains that it's impossible to play the game without the upgrade, and more often than not the game is not something you can experience without paying the money (unless you go down the piracy route or something). Meanwhile, girls spend money on shoes so they can go to another 'event' when they could just go wearing shoes they already had. It's insecurity or something, I guess. Either way, it has to be psychological because I'm pretty sure there is no way you can tell me that it's impossible for seven pairs of shoes to fulfill all your shoe needs.

Women enjoy going out and dressing all pretty-like, and in order to do that, they want the proper shoes and clothes.
Excellent. Be pretty. But eight pairs of shoes? Seriously, now. You just like wearing new things, admit it. You should rent them, not buy them, if you're going to be that big about it.

I can understand why guys like buying computer parts, or car parts, or paintball guns. I don't enjoy those things myself, but I can at least understand why it is they love it so much.
I can understand why a girl buys a pair of shoes - so she doesn't have to go barefoot. Same reason a guy buys a pair of shoes.

I know why a girl buys more than one pair of shoes, though. Because they want to look good in front of other girls, and in order to do this, they can't wear the same shoes more than one day in a row... or something. It's stupid. It's nothing more than a scam by clothes stores all around the world. Because there is no other logic to it that I can think of at all.

The funny thing is that shoes are just the tip of the iceberg. Which leads me to an idea for a new thread.

Peegee
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
This is the only time I'm going to say this word.

This is sexist.

I am a shopping lunatic, and I know a lot of women who are like...afraid to spend money (they are frugal as hell).

:D

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
I know a lot of girls who are stronger than a lot of guys I know, but that doesn't mean it's sexist to say that in general, guys are stronger than girls. Likewise, I also know a lot of girls who don't spend much at all and don't care to go shopping for clothes and I know the odd guy (not many, mind you) that like to go shopping... but that doesn't mean that in general, girls like shopping more than guys do.

Peegee
07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Honestly I think both sexes love consumerism the same amount.

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Honestly I think both sexes love consumerism the same amount.
Oh, I agree, sorry. I mean shopping for things that they don't need. Should've clarified. I think I said in an earlier post that I think guys spend more money in one go, but girls spend more money on things they don't really need.

Miriel
07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Well, personally, I don't buy games often at all, either. But that's just me. The fact remains that it's impossible to play the game without the upgrade, and more often than not the game is not something you can experience without paying the money (unless you go down the piracy route or something). Meanwhile, girls spend money on shoes so they can go to another 'event' when they could just go wearing shoes they already had. It's insecurity or something, I guess. Either way, it has to be psychological because I'm pretty sure there is no way you can tell me that it's impossible for seven pairs of shoes to fulfill all your shoe needs.

I agree that having a ton of shoes is silly. I have two pairs of flip flops and I wear then almost every single day. That's it.

But I'd say that games are just as unnecessary as shoes. Both are there for the enjoyment of the buyer. Equally unnecessary. No one needs 10 pairs of shoes. No one needs 10 different video games.

This is all about personal taste.

I agree with PG. In general, I think that men and women both enjoy spending money buying things they enjoy. Girls buy dresses they don't need. Guys buy taser guns they don't need.

Yamaneko
07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Electronics are actually worth the money you spend on them. Clothes or shoes are not. People buy jeans that look like they've been worn for years and spend over $100 on them. Generally when you buy electronics the price dictates some advantage over lower-priced electronics.

Shauna
07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
People buy jeans that look like they've been worn for years and spend over $100 on them.

Who the hell spends £100 on jeans? xD

Moon Rabbits
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
People buy jeans that look like they've been worn for years and spend over $100 on them.

Depends on how pretty they are.

Arrianna
07-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Electronics are actually worth the money you spend on them. Clothes or shoes are not. People buy jeans that look like they've been worn for years and spend over $100 on them. Generally when you buy electronics the price dictates some advantage over lower-priced electronics.
On the contrary, it's only worth something if it has value to the buyer. The system that Bob described to me would have no value for me because I don't buy/play PC games and I don't wish to. Having a new dress every year has value to me however.

Oh, and some of us wear dress pants. ;)

Besides, what does the "value" of the product have to do with shopping habits? Does it's percieved value somehow justify the purchase? I value my shoes so I guess I'm justified in going out and buying some more. Thanks for the permission. ;)
(Ok, in actuality I'm more likely to buy a cookbook and a new Kitchen Aid Pro6. :laugh:)

Yuna-Lenne
07-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Many girls are that bad when it comes to shopping, though I'm not. I'm actually the one being dragged around by my friend/mother. I've noticed one of my friends goes for "cute" stationary all the time, I think it's a waste of money. I find shopping boring. :p

Lawr
07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Gimme $50 and a trip to Speedway and I'll come out looking fat.

ShunNakamura
07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I think Bob is being a bit unclear. I don't see it as girls buying unnecisary things. Rather they buy things that bring little benifits.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I am a bookaholic. Put me in a bookstore and any money I have wil be gone. However, I literally read them until they fall apart. In addition every book I read I gain knowledge from. Even if it is as simple as learning a new word or two that I can use to make my points more clear. In games many of them require some form of viable strategy. This forms and builds problem solving abilities. In addition games build up hand eye cordination and in some cases reaction times.

In addition the male stuff(a new computer, new car, new game), tends to last longer for the male then a new pair of shoes or a new dress lasts for a female. Which makes the worth greater in my mind. The more use you get out of it the better it is.

So I guess what it is is that the male purchases are in general a better overall investment then the steroitypical female. Though neither one is a bad investment if done in moderation, and both are bad investments if done excessively.

Xenyth
07-21-2006, 10:52 AM
My brother goes crazy at some new gundam models...My father can go to an electronic shop for some blank cds can come home with a new scanner and a cordless phone. I can spend my three months savings on solely games, mangas and cd. The only one not shopping crazy in my family is my mom.

Mirage
07-21-2006, 02:48 PM

100£ is almost twice as much as $100 <,<.
And many do, Shauna.

And yes, quality often has a lot more to do with the price when it comes to electronics, compared to clothing, where you often pay tons just to have a certain brand name on it. Unless you're buying Apple stuff.

Arrianna
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I think Bob is being a bit unclear. I don't see it as girls buying unnecisary things. Rather they buy things that bring little benifits.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I am a bookaholic. Put me in a bookstore and any money I have wil be gone. However, I literally read them until they fall apart. In addition every book I read I gain knowledge from. Even if it is as simple as learning a new word or two that I can use to make my points more clear. In games many of them require some form of viable strategy. This forms and builds problem solving abilities. In addition games build up hand eye cordination and in some cases reaction times.

In addition the male stuff(a new computer, new car, new game), tends to last longer for the male then a new pair of shoes or a new dress lasts for a female. Which makes the worth greater in my mind. The more use you get out of it the better it is.

So I guess what it is is that the male purchases are in general a better overall investment then the steroitypical female. Though neither one is a bad investment if done in moderation, and both are bad investments if done excessively.
Ah ah, still doesnt wash. I know computers. Five years ago I spent $250 on a top of the line monitor for graphic art. Now I can get the same monitor for $10. However when I was married I spent $400 on silk for a wedding dress. Ive worn it twice. It is worth more now then it was when I was married. Ive had the same pair of shoes for 9 years and wear them at least once a week. Do you have the same computer you did 9 years ago?

Youre still trying to justify the expence based on percieved value but value depends entirely on the person, their wants and needs.

Mirage
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
The truth.

translation

Now you're straying away from my point. He's buying it because it performs better, faster, stronger, etc. Not because it's more aesthetically pleasing.
You said he bought it because it was "shiny", but that's just not true. Unless your guy is very strange :p. I don't know anyone who cares about the physical appearance of their CPU. Whether or not he needs that power varies. If he works with heavy stuff like 3D modelling, Photoshop or other heavy applications, I'm sure he needs it. Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway.
However, I know people who style their PCs, but that's not related to it's internal parts or its functionality.

But sure, I'm sure stylish and cool clothes serve a purpose too, such as increasing social status among people that judge other people by what they wear.

Tavrobel
07-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I cannot possibly fathom why anyone would buy something that has less than one use, and lasts less than a month for usefullness. I have a shirt that is five years old, and I still wear it frequently.

Why is it not allowed to wear the same thing more than once (or not at all for that matter?). I wear my shoes everywhere I go, and have had them for at least a year, and they still look almost new. People just need to take better care of the things they have. Fashion is overrated, a fad, and drains money that people need to live. If you buy a book, at least you learn SOMETHING by reading it. For clothes, you learn that you are conceited and a waste of space.

While you are out buying clothes, and not ever using them, there are people who have to live on less than $2 a day. You spoiled hypocrites. You justify your excessive spending, despite other people who have not the ability to do what you do. How would you feel if YOU were the one in the worse economic situation, and you knew that people were making money off of your suffering?

And without that PC that you so attack, how would you even be able to argue this topic with people? People make upgrades so that they can actually do something with it, not because it looks cool. Things devalue because technology grows, and becomes better. As it gets better, you use it as you need to be able to do things.

But sure, I'm sure stylish and cool clothes serve a purpose too, such as increasing social status among people that judge other people by what they wear.

Why should people care what other people think of them? What an absolutely USELESS way to get self-approval. And what if you are wrong with what other people think? People who care what other people wear daily need help, because they themselves are uncomfortable with losing the influence that they exert over others.

While I myself am quite shopping crazy (as is the rest of my family, even the males), none of the males buy anything that doesn't have a use past a month (unless it is less than five dollars, or is food). All the females (except my sister) will buy, spend, buy, and spend more in a day than I make in five years based on Christmas and Birthday money alone.

Arrianna
07-21-2006, 10:38 PM
The truth.

translation

Now you're straying away from my point. He's buying it because it performs better, faster, stronger, etc. Not because it's more aesthetically pleasing.
You said he bought it because it was "shiny", but that's just not true.And your being to anal (I CAN'T believe "I" am having to say this) and taking a symbolic comparison literally.

Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway. No but he said that he upgraded his for a game so I was responding to him. I am not attacking PC's. I love my laptop. Oh yes I do...:love: It can run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaniously. I do not claim however that my wants are needs. I am merely bursting a misogynist veiw that what a man buys is "practical" but a woman shopping is just unbridaled spending. It's a steriotype that needs to DIE!

ffxfreak93
07-22-2006, 02:48 AM
i like to buy lighter bike parts for my bike so when i go off of quarter pipes i get more air or just to hop on to higher rails

but that rarely happens,so i can't possibly be a shopping freak

Mirage
07-22-2006, 02:57 AM

Why should people care what other people think of them? What an absolutely USELESS way to get self-approval. And what if you are wrong with what other people think? People who care what other people wear daily need help, because they themselves are uncomfortable with losing the influence that they exert over others.
I don't know why, because I don't do it. However, I know there are pleny of people who do, just stating a fact.

The truth.

translation

You said he bought it because it was "shiny", but that's just not true.And your being to anal (I CAN'T believe "I" am having to say this) and taking a symbolic comparison literally.

Not everyone upgrades their PC solely for entertainment purposes. And very many men use their computers for more than "the internet", which isn't affected by the CPU speed anyway. No but he said that he upgraded his for a game so I was responding to him. I am not attacking PC's. I love my laptop. Oh yes I do...:love: It can run Photoshop and Illustrator simultaniously. I do not claim however that my wants are needs. I am merely bursting a misogynist veiw that what a man buys is "practical" but a woman shopping is just unbridaled spending. It's a steriotype that needs to DIE!
Thanks for calling me anal, appreciate it. So what did you try to symbolise with the world shiny? Sure, perhaps not "aesthetically pleasing", but you must have meant something that didn't have to do with it's performance, right? And okay, your boy might have wanted it just to play games. My bad, I was thinking in general.

On the issue of him having tons of old PC; I do too, but that's because I don't throw them away when I buy new stuff. And you really do need to upgrade once in a while, I don't think any of those P2s and down would allow one to work effeciently with Windows XP. And very many programs need XP nowadays.

And well, for example, buying new shoes isn't a bad thing, it's pretty practical to have a few pairs. But paying twice just cause they are of a special brand, and then having to get a new pair just half a year later is a complete waste, I'd say (Unless ofcourse they are of a brand that is known to be of very high quality, in which case you shouldn't have to get a new pair in just half a year). Granted, not only girls do this, but my impression is that it's moer common for girls to do it. Ofcourse, my impression is based on a very small percentage of the female population, so I'm not going to say this is a fact.
I personally use my clothes and shoes until they are worn out. But I don't go looking for the lamest looking stuff when I actually do buy clothes.

Oh also, we've got a nice pyramid now, don't stop it :D.

bipper
07-22-2006, 03:04 AM
HAHA! anal! I GET IT!

You two are angering the shopping godesses. I mean, do you seriously have to debate everthing for 234234 pages? (pointed out by me for sheer added irony! :))

I do

ShunNakamura
07-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Ah ah, still doesnt wash. I know computers. Five years ago I spent $250 on a top of the line monitor for graphic art. Now I can get the same monitor for $10. However when I was married I spent $400 on silk for a wedding dress. Ive worn it twice. It is worth more now then it was when I was married. Ive had the same pair of shoes for 9 years and wear them at least once a week. Do you have the same computer you did 9 years ago?

Actually I do. An old Apple LCIII(I think that is what it was) that I still used up til I needed some space a while ago. Or to run tests on slower computers. I also had my old computer laptop from 6 years ago(up til a few months, got scrapped to use as repair parts for someone elses computer I was fixing)... as well as an old desktop that is about 7 years old and finally a newer computer so that I could do college stuff(all my others can't handle some of the programs we are required to use in the computer majors here).

Youre still trying to justify the expence based on percieved value but value depends entirely on the person, their wants and needs.

Nope, I am basing it off the use you get out of it. Wearing something twice means you used it twice. If you spen 400$ that means you get 200$ a use. My computers have seen use for the whole time I have had them, and are just recently being retired(mainly cause I end up needing parts for older computers brought to me or in the case of the apple I needed space and it was the one least used). Also my families first computer has still seen some use in that I needed an old sound card and lucked out that or first IBM computer had one compatable with the guy's computer. In addition an old laptop my dad had, went to someone who wanted a computer on compass to take notes(since it was allowed and they always lose paper notes). And old ancient laptop with like 32mb or ram and win95 on it. It is still usefull and being used.

I am not sure what went into the other computers but I know dad paid 20$ at the time(garage sale for the win) for the Apple LCIII(or whatever), and it lasted for many years(one of, if not the first computer we got) so I say it was worth the purchase price. My laptop( the 6 year old one) had about 300$ put into it since I built it from scraps my dad found cheap on ebay. In addition I the parts that I scavenged from it fixed two other computers as of late. Once again I think I got more then my initial investment out of it(two computer repair jobs, and the use for school and college it has served). My newest one bought for my college schooling due to the programs being much more powerful then what my old laptop could handle(though it gave a good effort at it), I have had 1 1/2 years(and it wasn't new when we got it, once again it was scrap parts I was bringing in), and it has been used in nearly all my college applications as well as in web design and programming for various sources. It may not have brought in its worth yet(costed me about 500$ to get it all together if I recall right), however, it will most likely last me another 2-3 years at least as a side computer to test applications/web pages/etc on.

Also speaking of fancy clothers, I got several suits, and I wear them regularly even to my college classes, so just cause clothing is fancy doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it on a regular basis, clothing should always be applicable in everyday situations.

G SpOtZ
07-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I voted "Yes and it is very sevre for them" because Aralith's vote was lonely.

Alive-Cat
07-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't see what's so wrong with shopping. Apart from the fact that there are people all around me, stinky, horrible people. I mean, I'M BUYING STUFF. FOR ME.
What could be wrong with that?

Arrianna
07-23-2006, 04:56 AM
The truth.

translation

Thanks for calling me anal, appreciate it. So what did you try to symbolise with the world shiny? Sure, perhaps not "aesthetically pleasing", but you must have meant something that didn't have to do with it's performance, right? And okay, your boy might have wanted it just to play games. My bad, I was thinking in general.

On the issue of him having tons of old PC; I do too, but that's because I don't throw them away when I buy new stuff. And you really do need to upgrade once in a while, I don't think any of those P2s and down would allow one to work effeciently with Windows XP. And very many programs need XP nowadays.

And well, for example, buying new shoes isn't a bad thing, it's pretty practical to have a few pairs. But paying twice just cause they are of a special brand, and then having to get a new pair just half a year later is a complete waste, I'd say (Unless ofcourse they are of a brand that is known to be of very high quality, in which case you shouldn't have to get a new pair in just half a year). Granted, not only girls do this, but my impression is that it's moer common for girls to do it. Ofcourse, my impression is based on a very small percentage of the female population, so I'm not going to say this is a fact.
I personally use my clothes and shoes until they are worn out. But I don't go looking for the lamest looking stuff when I actually do buy clothes.

Oh also, we've got a nice pyramid now, don't stop it :D."but it's the newest version with a ___ processer!"
translation

Have you ever seen a guy that just spent $2000+ on a new computer for the purpose of playing PC games or something like that? I have. They say "but it's the newest version with a ___ processer!" the exact same way a girl says "but it's so cute and shiny, I have to have it!". I have watched grown men cuddle with their new laptop and tell other men "it's so sexy". Yes, evidently "sexy" is a term that should be applied to really high preformance computers.

As for the shoes... it really just depends on the person and their wants and needs. I probably buy a new pair once a year on average. I just have 9 pairs. Womens shoes last longer then mens. I'm still trying to figure out why. :holmes:

Yeah, it is a nice pyramid isn't it. :laugh:

ShunNakamura
07-23-2006, 10:04 PM
As for the shoes... it really just depends on the person and their wants and needs. I probably buy a new pair once a year on average. I just have 9 pairs. Womens shoes last longer then mens. I'm still trying to figure out why. :holmes:

Well I also buy about 1 pair a year on average..... however, I was wondering how you get shoes to last so long. I am lucky if mine last that long(le sigh, I will need to replace my main pair soon... only saw about 6 months of use too, but they are just about destroyed by now). So if you ever find out why, please tell me(I have observed that same phenomina.... and it really does confuse me).