PDA

View Full Version : I hate these goddamn "random encounters"!

Peter_20
07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Crap, I can't recall anything that's ruined my experience in a game more than the pathetic "random encounters"! :mad2:
I mean, there I was, yesterday evening, running around aimlessly in the Cave of Dist, looking for the RIGHT path (forks in the road are SO common in this game), and I ALWAYS suffer from these freaking RANDOM ENCOUNTERS.
Whenever I start investigating a new floor, it starts:

*PSIUNG, PSIUNG!*
*Battle music starts*
AMBUSHED!!!
Enemy: FIRE 8!!! FIRE 8!!! SLEP 8!!! BLND 12!!!
Me: Fight!!!
Enemy: Fight!!! (healer dies) FIRE 8!!!
Me: FIRE 3!!!
Enemy: Fight, 12 DMG!!! Fight, 200 DMG!!!
Me: Fight!!!
Enemy: NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!! SLEP 12!!!

And so on.
When I'm finished, I've almost forgotten what I was doing.
Then, I walk four more squares, and ANOTHER battle commences!

Seriously, this is ridiculous.
I mean, I do think a lot in this game is wonderful, so I still wanna complete it, but dungeons?... no.
Just NO!
The damn dungeons almost ruin this game, ffs!

Znake
07-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Its a FF game, Whats new?

If your having trouble with a Dungeon, try saving your game at the start of it, and just go all out attack on the enemies using your best spells and healing whenever you need to. Then when youve figured out the way to the end of the Dungeon load and start again, heading in the right direction. Either that or read a walkthrough. :p

It probably would be better FF games had a "No Contact" abillity you could learn or equiped as an item, but the Random Battles are the only real challenge in the earlier versions, as most of the Bosses are easily defeated.

Sefie1999AD
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
The Cave of Dist is one of those places where you'll just learn to hate random encounters, especially when they're frequent and hard. Two Hill Gigases or eight of those Fire8-casting things ambushing you and practically casting it 16 times on everyone before you get to make a single move is really annoying (in NES, that would probably make me hate the game for years without the turbo boost since you have to watch the slow spell animation 16*4 = 64 times). I found Mysidian Tower to be another equally annoying place.

Zeromus_X
07-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I've heard of some trick with Cure to reduce encounters, but I don't know enough about it..

Hey, try savestates.

And yes, they overdid it in this game. It, in fact, is ridiculous sometimes, even by RPG standards.

Peter_20
07-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I've heard of some trick with Cure to reduce encounters, but I don't know enough about it..There is indeed a Cure trick: the secret is that right before an encounter will start, use Cure on your party.
This will reset the encounter. :)

rubah
07-23-2006, 08:54 PM
the joy of emulators-- go through a dungeon and save find the right way, reset and go that way originally 8)

DJZen
07-24-2006, 04:27 AM
If you hate random encounters so much, play Halo, not 15 year old Famicom RPGs.

druinmaster
07-24-2006, 05:12 AM
best usage of the cure trick involves one poisoned party member that way someone will always need healing so that with proper savestate abuse you can walk to the bottom/top
of the dungeoun as long as your mp holds out

Hayabusa
07-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Psh. Whiner.

Peter_20
07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
best usage of the cure trick involves one poisoned party member that way someone will always need healing so that with proper savestate abuse you can walk to the bottom/top
of the dungeoun as long as your mp holds out*pst*

Low-level Cure spell + loads of MP + poisoned member + loads of Elixirs = instant win

Imagine using a Cure 1 while having 999 MP! :D

No.78
07-30-2006, 02:35 PM
RANDOM ENCOUNTERS IN FINAL FANTASY!? DATS CRAZY TALK!

The Knights of the Round
08-23-2006, 04:28 AM
lol yeah instead of complaining about something like that, just dont play it