PDA

View Full Version : Does Level whoring take the fun out of Video games?

Venom
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Me and a friend are arguing about Over leveling. I say its cool because beating the crap out of a boss with little ease because you earned it is alright. My friend however, says that there really isnt any fun in being able to do 9999 1/3 through the game, thus taking any REAL fun out of the game.

What do you think about it?

KentaRawr!
07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd prefer not to power level. It takes all the fun out of quite a few battles, until you get much farther into the game. I like playing the battles for the strategy. :)

AdVenT
07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Doin stuff like that just takes the fun out of games. I agree with your pal.

bipper
07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
It doesn't freakin matter. Games are usually fun either way. If you want a challenge, stay low leveled. If you want to be a crazy powered fool, level like hell.

They are both aplicatable and thus opinions; which basically means you are both wrong.:mad2:

Bipper

Doomie
07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

Zeldy
07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
My brother level whored on a game and he absoloutly loved being the top level. It took him nearly a year, but he didn't give up and I think actually acomplashing his task was enough. Everyone was all "Wowww your level 200? O_O" and he was all "Yeah B)"

Agent Proto
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
If I'm having trouble with a particular boss in a game, I tend to go around leveling up a bit more so I can defeat said boss. I usually don't go around leveling up, but if I feel the need to, I do.

Though, for the most part, I don't leverl up like crazy.

ljkkjlcm9
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't often run around with the purpose of leveling in regular RPGs, (though Online RPGs that's what it's mostly about), but I never run from battles, and I explore A LOT. I mean I go back and forth all the time. So random encounters tend to mean I'm above the level I would need to be.

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
It doesn't freakin matter. Games are usually fun either way. If you want a challenge, stay low leveled. If you want to be a crazy powered fool, level like hell.

KentaRawr!
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
My brother level whored on a game and he absoloutly loved being the top level. It took him nearly a year, but he didn't give up and I think actually acomplashing his task was enough. Everyone was all "Wowww your level 200? O_O" and he was all "Yeah B)"

Level 200 is EVERYONE'S goal in PSO. :p

Shoeberto
07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Power levelling bores me to death.

Zante
07-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Do whatewer is most fun to you. There is no right or wrong way to play the game.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
im usually level 5 times over normal so yea

edczxcvbnm
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I stay under leveled to make it fun. If I want to be at level 99 and beat the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of the enemies then I would use game shark and save some time.

Rengori
07-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Leveling up takes a lot of time in NIS games ('Cept Phantom Brave, Random Dungeon + (Titlist * "Failure" Title) = Easy Leveling), so I prefer not to. Though it'll usually get my ass handed to me next chapter.

In FF I usually level up for a couple of minutes, normally no more than half an hour at a time. And normally leveling up is a by product from trying to get money for equipment. Especially in the older ones where you can buy 5 pieces of equipment for each character.

Roto13
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I hate wandering around and leveling up. I only do it if I have to.

In Dragon Quest VIII, you always have to. >_>

I Took the Red Pill
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
If I'm having trouble with a particular boss in a game, I tend to go around leveling up a bit more so I can defeat said boss. I usually don't go around leveling up, but if I feel the need to, I do.

Though, for the most part, I don't leverl up like crazy.

MageLuingil
07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I prefer staying at the intended level when I'm playing through the game, because it's funner for me. First off, power-leveling is boring, second, I prefer the challenge in some of those battles. But I don't care if someone else plays a different way. It's your game, enjoy it your way.

drunkymonkey
07-20-2006, 10:24 PM
It depends on whether you are just staying in one spot to level all the time. It can be useful, and it can be satisfying (if used in short bursts anyway), but in MMOs I really prefer just doing quests and dipping in and out.

Tavrobel
07-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm usually pathetically underleveled. Sure, it'll be frustrating, but it makes you feel like you earned something. I think excessive leveling is for excessive idiots, but if it floats your boat, go ahead and do it. I don't play your game.

MMOs are a different story. In those cases, it's all ABOUT overleveling.

Black Mage FF1
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Overleveling is a waste of time. I prefer to level up as I go through the game. I see no point at all in spending 99999999999 hours leveling up. Pretty much any RPG can be easily beaten at any level. At least the ones that I have played.

And yes it does take the fun away. I would rather fight a long epic battle where I might lose; then fight a battle where all I do is push the "X" button.

Pure Strife
07-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Can't be doing with over leveling. I like every boss fight to be a hard won epic battle, so I try not to level up much at all where possible.

Markus. D
07-21-2006, 06:06 AM
I like levelling if it comes with a skill point.

or, if it comes with an end game challange that will be challenging even if you are level 9999 (Disgaea Item Dungeon floor something something has this), I also dont mind the occassional Epic Boss Battle, which is also why I am in a new game plus... working my way up to Uber Baal Prinny.

Zeromus_X
07-21-2006, 06:17 AM
In Dragon Quest VIII, you always have to. >_>

You'll love Dragon Quest II. ;)

But yeah, whatever matters. It's uneccesary sometimes (showing what strategies to beat a boss underleveled would show more skill as a player), but all that work and time you took to power level is a payment for breezing through the game anyway.

bipper
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I play most RPGs for thier story, not thier challenge.

Madame Adequate
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Whatever someone likes for themselves.

Necronopticous
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
If the battle system is fun I usually level up more than necessary, if not, I avoid overleveling. I'm playing Valkyrie Profile right now, and the battle system is great, so I've been leveling probably more than normal.

Powerleveling at the beginning of a game can be a lot of fun, though. I remember playing cards in Balamb at the beginning of FFVIII one time until I was able to craft high level magics and card-mod all the items I needed for weapon upgrades, and I was blasting through enemies and bosses in a single hit the whole game.

Zeldy
07-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Level 200 is EVERYONE'S goal in PSO. :p

..How DID you know that? xD
But yeah, he was the big HUcast who was level 200. He almost did the same on Ep3. I think he got to king

Crossblades
07-21-2006, 09:27 PM
It doesn't take the fun out of the game. if anything, it's always best to be ahead of the game

Reine
07-22-2006, 01:20 AM
It depends what game, and how you play games.

Aradae
07-23-2006, 04:16 AM
It takes the challenge out of the game and leaves you feeling empty of accomplishment.

Yamaneko
07-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Like Necro said, depends on the game. If I like the game I will try to complete it 100%, that also means getting the highest stats possible.

Spammerman
07-23-2006, 06:09 AM
pseronally i run through games low lvled.

fantasyjunkie
07-23-2006, 06:52 AM

They are both aplicatable and thus opinions; which basically means you are both wrong.:mad2:

Bipper
I agree!!!!!!

Madame Adequate
07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
It takes the challenge out of the game and leaves you feeling empty of accomplishment.

I'd agree if you just got to select E-Z-mode but in fact, you generally have to earn being overpowered and for the most part it's a lot more time consuming than simply playing through normally. You most certainly do earn it when you have every possible limit break before you even reach Junon, I can tell you that from personal experience. It's also totally awesome, especially as this is either my 20th or 21st play through of FFVII, so I'm really just here to have fun. And this time around, it's fun doing that. Next time I might try a speed run with no items, or some such.