PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan!

JKTrix
07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I've been 'planning' it for a while, and I just bought my ticket today. I'll be going for the last 2 weeks of September, hopefully to attend the Tokyo Game Show. If I'm lucky I'll be able to spot some of my favourite Journalists over there.

Even if I'm not able to go to the show, just being in Japan should be pretty cool. Has anyone been and have any survival tips?

Chris
07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I've never been to Japan, but I have some family there, so I'll probably visit them someday.

Peegee
07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Enjoy the squat toilets.

o.O;

AdVenT
07-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Lucky you, goin to the game central of the world:D

BardTard
07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
I wanna go to Japan! My mom always says she wants to take me somewhere cool for a vacation and I wanna go to Japan but SHE doesn't want to. :mad2:

Laugh at face of Danger
07-19-2006, 06:45 PM
eat lots of pocky (sp?) its a kind of sweet i've heard that you can get addicted to easily, sounds like it could be fine.

I'm going to japan in my gap year (one and a bit years now :S)

Dreddz
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Never been but I do plan to at some point. Not this summer but next summer, it'll be my number 1 place to go on holiday. That is, if I have the money :eep:

Levian
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Your favourite journalists live in Japan? Doesn't that mean that they kinda speak in, you know, Japanese? So how did you learn Japanese? I don't even have a favourite journalist. :( Mainly because I don't like text though.

Have a nice trip, bucko. :cool: Bring home some small ones.

Mirage
07-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, they had lots of squat toilets in China too, even at rather nice restaurants. I never ever used them. Pocky is pretty overrated if you ask me.

JKTrix
07-19-2006, 07:04 PM
US Game Journalists from 1up and such, who'll be there during the Tokyo Game Show.
The ticket was pretty expensive, over 1,000 for a round trip (Bermuda>New York>Narita and back).

This time I'm going to stay mostly in Tokyo. I might go on a guided tour of the country, but if I went outside of Tokyo by myself I would probably get lost since there will probably be less and less English speakers. I have a small grasp on the language since I've been 'studying' it in bits of free time, but I doubt I know enough to survive where no one speaks English at all.

I intend to bring back loads of Pocky, though... it's an 18 hour flight back from Japan. It might not last the trip.

MageLuingil
07-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll be going to Japan about a year from now. Just for a couple weeks, but I'm looking forward to it =)

And pocky is awesome!

krayziesaiko
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
You are very lucky.

I am super jealous!

Moon Rabbits
07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't even have a favourite journalist.

I didn't think anyone did. ._. I have a least favourite one, that guy from CNN who used to host the Mole. >:o

Have a nice trip...and squat toilets sound strange :S

Xaven
07-19-2006, 08:18 PM
I hope to travel abroad to Japan in my college days. I'm taking Japanese 1 in community college right now, and plan to move up to 5, so that should help.

Yeah, make friends with a few bilingual (English and Japanese) people, so they can help you out.

And yes, I believe Pocky is overrated. It's just cheap butter cookie dipped in chocolate.

Fire_Emblem776
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Take a lot of spending money ^_^

Flying Mullet
07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
I've been to Japan and loved it.

As far as Pocky goes, you can buy it all over the US now. I've seen it at several grocery stores, especially if they have an international/asian food section.

In the Tokyo area, some of our favorite places were Asakusa, Odaiba, Ueno Park and Akihabara (how can you not love Akihabara? Almost every video game store there has an entire floor devoted to old Famicom and Super Famocom games and systems.:love:). Shinjuku Station is also fun to visit on a weekday morning as you get to watch the "people pushers" push all of the commuters into the train cars so the trains can leave on time.

Kamakura and Yokohama are a short train ride away and are fun places to visit too. Kamakura has the Daibutsu and the Landmark Tower is in Yokohama, along with a China Town which is fun to visit.

daggertrepe
07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I wanna go someday, too. Have fun! :)

Agent Proto
07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
There's one thing you should know about Tokyo. It's expensive, so be sure that you're loaded with money. Who knows when you'll run out of money while you're there. No money = no fun, I suppose. :O

Hambone
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
You're lucky to go to Japan.

feona17
07-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey my boyfriend Tyler will be there for most of August, maybe you'll run into him. Tall, dark hair.. yeah unlikely. :P He's been there before, and he says it's really really awesome there. Hope you have fun if you go!

Rokk
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I wanna go to Japan! My mom always says she wants to take me somewhere cool for a vacation and I wanna go to Japan but SHE doesn't want to. :mad2:

Lol, your mom is very fussy i can see, this post and your signature...:p