PDA

View Full Version : The Tetris Effect

crono_logical
07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
It has been known for players of first-person shooter games to briefly panic upon noticing the lack of a crosshair in the center of their real-world field of vision. Some players of Dance Dance Revolution also report seeing arrows moving upwards when closing their eyes after intense play.

Have you ever experienced the Tetris Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect)? :D

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
thank god no

Shoeberto
07-19-2006, 07:48 PM
I've gotten it from Tetris, that same thing you mentioned from DDR, and also, briefly, when I closed my eyes, I would be targeting enemies in Guild Wars and going through my attack cycle.

Moon Rabbits
07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
The only thing close to that that I've experienced is when I had played FFVIII for eight hours straight (I couldn't sleep that night at alllllll). I was in Esthar for a really long time and after I turned off the game I was partially blind for a good hour or two :eek: . It was kind of scary.

escobert
07-19-2006, 07:50 PM
nope

Laugh at face of Danger
07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Not really, which is odd, as i sit too close to the screen.

I couldn't see correctly after i first played pokemon red, i had flashing battle screens plauge my vision for hours.

Necronopticous
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
More often than not I am fantasizing involuntarily about some random video game or video game detail.

Xaven
07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Other than having music playing in my head all the time, not really. Well, not that I know of anyway.

...Sounds fun.

Zeromus_X
07-19-2006, 08:05 PM
When I played lots of Zelda a long time ago I got all the sound effects in my head. :/ :cat:

Tasura
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
When I bag gorcoeries for charity work I always say its like a giant game of Tetris >.>;; and Ive been playing RO alot lately, and Im going through the dungeons in my head trying to think of where the monsters are and the best skills use to defeat them as I type this.

krayziesaiko
07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
After playing Final Fantasy extensively, I would have trouble walking around, because I would be afraid of getting in random encounters. No lie.
And I have gotten the crosshair one as well, but I remember also wondering why I didn't have a HUD. That would be when I was bingeing heavily on Halo, Doom, Or Timesplitters.

Agent Proto
07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Not necessarily. :D

Shoeberto
07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh, I remember another one I had. I'd been playing GTA Vice City on PC very extensively for about two days straight, and had gotten used to being able to middle-click the mouse to look backwards and see what's coming up on me. In real life, I started wondering why I couldn't do that.

bipper
07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
I never get in a fight with out my trusty dice, and sturdy pen & paper combo!:cool:

nik0tine
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. What is says about "Audition" pretty much sums up what happens to me. I also hear how other peoples songs could be better when listening to them.

krayziesaiko
07-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I never get in a fight with out my trusty dice, and sturdy pen & paper combo!:cool:

lol, I've done this too. Like right before a test at school, I thought "well, better make an intelligence check"

And several others....

SammieBabe
07-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh God yes. Just about every time I play Tetris that happens to me...

mooglebunni608
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM
I played to much Kingdom Hearts 2, so I kept thinking I needed to hit the triangle key to do stuff.... O_O

MageLuingil
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah, every time I play anything where I'm seeing the same thing for a long period of time, I can usually see it when I close my eyes. I usually don't play things all that long though.

Loony BoB
07-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't think so, Tim.

Faris
07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
No, just natural "I have to make some room for this on this tiny shelf, so that it stays off the floor."

Peegee
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Something like that, yeah.

Yamaneko
07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Red Orchestra doesn't use crosshairs. :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Nope, never. :cool:

Nominus Experse
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, it seems to happen with anything I spend vast quantities of time on - drawing, reading, music, games especially, and really anything else. I never knew it was called "the Tetris Effect" though. How interesting...

Psychotic
07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Nah, but I once experienced something similar while doodling. I made a mistake and I thought "Crap, click undo." and for a split-second I was confused that I couldn't find undo.

Yes, I hate myself.

Meat Puppet
07-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I got something similar after playing Morrowind for a long time. Like when I was sneaking around I would do that stupid pose they do. And whenever I picked something up I made that picking up sound. Shlurp. Unfortunately I lacked the void to put the object I picked up so I had to drop them again because I couldn't move. Loads of other crazy stuff like that happened.

Fortunately, I managed to break out of it before I blew my pockets bribing folk.

I also got a Tetris related story but it is kind of naughty. :-[

Evastio
07-20-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm experiencing it now that you told me about it. :yuck:

Clouded Sky
07-20-2006, 01:46 AM
When I was hardcore addicted to DDR I would get that every night before sleep after closing my eyes. Sometimes I would just dream about arrows. Talk about freaky.

Lawr
07-20-2006, 01:55 AM
I have that effect from RPG Maker. I see other video games as event processess.

Sylvie
07-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Maybe collecting pens from the pen vending machine at school is getting to me. I had a dream that I was getting a pen out of there. How exciting.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
07-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Not with Tetris, but with other things. Zelda: OoT. Gosh, played that so much all I would hear was the music and dream about it too. Sucked. :p

Lawr
07-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Nah, but I once experienced something similar while doodling. I made a mistake and I thought "Crap, click undo." and for a split-second I was confused that I couldn't find undo.

Yes, I hate myself.

Lol. I was looking n my Yearbook and I tried to press CTRL+F to find
my name.

Hambone
07-20-2006, 02:04 AM
omg I thought this thread was about Tetris the game. O_o.

Giga Guess
07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
When I'm listening to dance-ish music, I feel the urge to do DDR steps (It doesn't help that I have DDR music on my iPod....)

Roto13
07-20-2006, 02:43 AM
It's happened to me with Meteos. When I got that game, I kept seeing little combos when I closed my eyes to go to sleep.

Mirage
07-20-2006, 02:49 AM
I once played games for so long that I was amazed over the graphics of the real world afterwards.

Reine
07-20-2006, 02:56 AM
It happens to me when im over excitedabout a game, it plagues my thoughts, and I cannot get to sleep

Moon Rabbits
07-20-2006, 02:59 AM

Yes, I hate myself.

Gahahahaha, I do that all the time, or my hand immediatley flies up to the right when I make a mistake when writing. Then I realize the backspace button isn't there.

Prancing Mad
07-20-2006, 03:02 AM
It happens all the time with me after playing cards with my friends for a very long time. After walking away from the table. By brain quickly quips "Play the Queen of SPades!" and then it realizes it's not playing cards anymore

Decessus
07-20-2006, 03:08 AM
If it counts, I hear my mouse click in the middle of the night.

I Took the Red Pill
07-20-2006, 04:28 AM
I used to skateboard so much it felt like I was gliding when I was walking.

Shoeberto
07-20-2006, 04:32 AM

Yes, I hate myself.

Lol. I was looking n my Yearbook and I tried to press CTRL+F to find
my name.
Oh man, I've done that too, while taking an open book test. I couldn't find what I was looking for, and I just kept wanting to CTRL+F to find the phrase.

farplaner
07-20-2006, 05:02 AM
I have played whole levels of Tetris in my head. Lately, I've been looking at a lot of sheet music on the computer- always black on white so it burns really nicely into the mind's eye...and the actual eye too, I guess.

Have you guys ever watched a TV ad closely. I'm sure this is no secret to most, but if you haven't noticed- next time you watch a TV ad, pay attention to all of the movement that takes place (maybe with the TV muted) there's always a lot of "epilepsy inducing" flashes that emphasize important things that the advertisers want you to remember like telephone numbers, brand names, "FREE" graphics, and the like. I suppose it doesn't qualify as subliminal messaging, but it's not far from it.

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2006, 07:45 AM
I also got a Tetris related story but it is kind of naughty. :-[
Do tell, I bet this will be interesting.

Shlup
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I experience the Tetris Effect all the damn time. Mostly with, duh, Tetris. A little bit with Guitar Hero and Lumines.

Rye
07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Oh christ. xD I had that after I played a full day of Tetris DS. I was dreaming Tetris and seeing it everywhere.

Vincentsinnerdemon
07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Ive had it many times with tetris and halo. as someone said on page 1 about GTA where u begin to realize u cant turn/look behind u at will happened to me not long ago with RE4.(gamecube version is better than PS2)

Denmark
07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
when i was playing Zelda: Majora's Mask, I was also sick, so I was really going crazy when i didn't know what exactly to do in the fourth dungeon, that tower thing. so i had nightmares about it.

and whenever i'm reading something and looking for some specific thing, I wanna just ctrl+f to find it quickly.

rubah
07-21-2006, 04:18 AM
I used to have semiwaking dreams of Paint Shop Pro's transparent pixel grid colors after some intense dolling.

Tasura
07-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Back when I used to play Stepmania alot, then lsiten to normal music, my fingers would start tapping out to the beat in the arrow key pattern, and now with RO I keep hitting Alt instead of Ctrl, like to open a new tab I hit Alt+t and wonder why the hell it isnt working >_<

Ultima Shadow
07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
I've always thought about Tetris as an evil video/computer game. Now, it has been confirmed!

Tetris is bad, man! It's worse than drugs!

Old Manus
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I died and wondered why I didn't start back at the checkpoint.

Rengori
07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I started seeing the movement arrows and red panels showing attack/movement ragne when I closed my eyes for a short amounts of time on the first night I had Advance Wars II. As with Advance Wars I and Advance Wars Dual Stike.

scrumpleberry
07-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I've never QUITE been that obsessed with a computer game. However, if I make a mistake whilst drawing or hand writing, the first thing I think is "dang, ctrl-z" and my hands move a bit before I realise there is no ctrl-z on paper. :p

Rocket Edge
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Not images, but sounds. I think that i hear stuff from a game i just played, but there was no sound at all. Its weird, and it can be sounds that are only very brief.

Polaris
07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
:sweatdrop I don't think so! I dn't play now much time... just a three hours or that!

Skogs
07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, it can happen to me, especially if I go to sleep after a lengthy WoW session. I don't play that often these days, though.

fire_of_avalon
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I've definitely seen the DDR arrows when I close my eyes, but the audition thing is what happens to me a lot.

DarkLord
07-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I have that effect from RPG Maker. I see other video games as event processess.
I do that to, lol. I also do the Edit/Undo one every now and then and I've been known to say, I'd better save before doing something I can only try once. And strangest yet, I always have the feeling when I'm walking around that I'm going to suddenly get a random battle, I'm not kidding either!

bipper
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I sometimes get too serious in gernal chat because I think I am still in EoEo...

:confused: is there hopE?

Mo-Nercy
07-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I can relate to the DDR one. Thankfully, I haven't DDRed in almost a year now so I'm more or less healthy now.

Minus the voices.

Del Murder
07-21-2006, 05:42 PM
One time my brother and I played Super Mario Bros 3 all the way through with no warps and when we were done we could still hear Mario jumping and flying and collecting coins in our heads.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I see arrows.

Arrows and blocks.

Why won't they go away?!

Del Murder
07-21-2006, 06:26 PM
do dododo dododo dododo dododo do-do do do do do

Cz
07-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I went through a phase of Tetris-mania where I occasionally stacked random objects in my mind. I learned how to play the theme music on the piano, too. :D

Alive-Cat
07-22-2006, 03:04 PM
I can't say games have ever effected me this way, unless you count not being able to think about anything while not playing.
But sometimes when something bad happens to me I think,
"Just press ctrl z" or "esc".

Cruise Control
07-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes, yes I have. I see psyenergy all the time.

Iceglow
07-22-2006, 09:45 PM
I've had this for many games, Often it's just the music...Lol final fantasy 7 tune in my head as I battle the ever opressive work load stuff like that ect.

Occasionally a game will drive me completely mad, worst cases have been:

after 3 days of straight final fantasy 8 I answered only to the name of Squall and could picture the scan screen for some of the enemies in my mind perfectly.

After playing an online game (fantasy) I often wondered why I didn't carry a Bastard sword (I know language language yet it is the name of the longsword type) 6 knives and wore an armour made out of Demon bones.

Played halo so long I could picture myself and my friend storming a corridor "resevoir dogs style" with pistols out and nothing could stand in our way.

there's been more but it's not comming out here.

GhandiOwnsYou
07-23-2006, 03:59 AM
If you play guitar hero songs on medium difficulty for two or three hours without looking away from the screen, the walls will look like they are melting. It actually looks almost exactly like a when a Mushroom trip is just starting to kick in.

Aradae
07-23-2006, 04:03 AM
I play WoW alot and if I get into heavy traffic it feels like I'm pulling too much aggro

DarknessFromAbove
07-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I often think "I better find a save first" before doing things :/ And I dream about whatever game I've been playing too.

Aradae
07-23-2006, 04:41 AM
I often think "I better find a save first" before doing things :/ And I dream about whatever game I've been playing too.

Ever been stuck at one part in a game and you go to sleep and have a dream about the solution then you wake up trying to remember it?