PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Breathing

F.A.Y.T.H.
07-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Has anyone else found it srange that the party in Final Fantasy X can breath underwater? So can the blitzball players.

Zeromus_X
07-19-2006, 09:40 PM
No, not really. Final Fantasy X after all.

Hambone
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Maybe they've evolved so much that they have the ability to breathe underwater.

Rokk
07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I questioned it at the beginning... then just accepted it:D

feona17
07-19-2006, 09:57 PM
I read somewhere on this forum, that the water in Spira is different. That's why.

Tavrobel
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
I read somewhere on this forum, that the water in Spira is different. That's why.

The standing theory around the FFX populace is that the pyreflies have properties that alter or oxygenate water, so that players can play underwater. It's not really a question of breathing, it's about being able to hold your breath for a long period of time.

While I myself have accepted this, the idea seems a bit sketchy, and leaves many questions unanswered.

TidusMaster
07-19-2006, 11:44 PM
NO no no. Did you notice that only Tidus, Wakka and Rikku can breath under water? Blitzball Players have been trained to hold there breath for hours on End! Thats why Only Tidus and Wakka Can battle underwater! I dont know about Rikku though....

Ifrit's_Daddy
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
You can question how come they can hold theyre breath for hours/breathe underwater all you like, but thats the same as questioning how come they can perform magic or how does wakka and seymour's hair stay the way it does. you dont question it, you just accept it.

Sain Cai
07-20-2006, 02:31 AM
You can question how come they can hold theyre breath for hours/breathe underwater all you like, but thats the same as questioning how come they can perform magic or how does wakka and seymour's hair stay the way it does. you dont question it, you just accept it.

HaHa! Maybe Wakka uses Aqua Net mwahaha haha ehhe http://5-tigers.com/images/smiles/tired.gif

I dont think anyone breathes underwater. If you remember, when Tidus first went to besaid and was in the water, he gagged when he awakened. It also stated in that approximate time, when Tidus talks to the Aurochs at the beach, Datto says that blitzers can hold their breath for a long time (or hours). Just because someone can fight a battle or 2 underwater doesnt mean that they are breathing....remember blitzers are "battling" underwater for 10 minutes at a time, and also the characters may be swimming when in water, and not always under it.

Dynast-Kid
07-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Maybe Rikku,Tidus and Wakka are the only ones who can swim?

Tysplo
07-20-2006, 05:23 AM
It's not just Rikku, Tidus and Wakka. Don't forget about Yuna in the spring scene.

But yeah, I never really thought about it that much either. Always just assumed they had some special water there or something.

TiDUS.AHOLiC
07-20-2006, 06:29 AM
HahahahahahaLol. Everytime I see blitzball... Im like WDF? How do you possibly breath that long underwater?! :) Lol.

Decessus
07-20-2006, 07:15 AM
We have evolved far beyond the need for your foolish breathing. *Dies*

Thorn
07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
NO no no. Did you notice that only Tidus, Wakka and Rikku can breath under water? Blitzball Players have been trained to hold there breath for hours on End! Thats why Only Tidus and Wakka Can battle underwater! I dont know about Rikku though....

Definatley right there, I remeber where your captured at bevelle and Wakka, Rikku and Tidus are thrown into the water and are forced to make their way through by fighting fishmonsters.

I remeber a peice of dialogue that one of the besaid players says on the beach. It's somthing like.

"Wakka is amazing man, he can hold his breath for almost 5 minutes"

So I'd like to think that they sort've swim to the top and take breaths in BB matches. (Though they dont do it in games)

Necronopticous
07-20-2006, 12:30 PM
They say in the game that blitzball players train themselves to hold their breaths almost indefinitely. As was said, it's no more unbelievable than being able to summon beasts or cast magical spells. In short, don't worry about it.

Mirage
07-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Yes. They are holding their breath. It's not that fantastic anyway (just a little :p). Maybe only 4 times better than a real human being. The record for holding ones breath is actually 12 or so minutes. Granted, he didn't move at all. And those pearl divers in south Asia can hold their breath for a very long time too. Having a little fight while underwater isn't that far fetched for a fantasy game, considering humans can be trained to become very good at it too.

The reason only Rikku, Wakka and Tidus can fight underwater is that the others aren't dressed for swimming :p, much less fighting while swimming. Tidus being able to swim with that sword is borderline already, Auron would sink, and so would Lulu too. Yuna isn't trained in holding her breath, as displayed in X-2 (she just set a new personal on 2 minutes or something at the beginning of the game). I think Kihmahri should have been able to fight underwater though.

Dr.M
07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
^^umm...maybe not kimarhri, (he has a loin cloth on)*shivers* and i think the weight of auron's sword would have made him sink, lol. its just a game, and with games "anything gose!". i mean most ppl, if they hold there breath under water for more than 5mins it can cause serious brain damage. no oxygen to the brain see. but its just like the magic, we cant do it, but they can.

Mirage
07-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Increased lung capacity ensures more oxygen storage though. And stronger muscles are more effecient than weak ones, thus using less oxygene to perform the same task. I think, atleast.

zeilov_khaschante
07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Hmm, I questioning about this matter. Do you realize it guys? When you all have to get that anima thing, you have to swim in the baaj temple pool (it is the only way to get inside the temple, right?), and only Rikku, Tidus and Wakka, can go through. But after you get inside the temple, suddenly, Yuna, Lulu and the other are already in there too! Where %^$*@ did they come from?!

Mirage
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
That's a good point. Maybe they're just barely able to swim in those clothes, so doing anything else at the same time, such as fighting, wouldn't be possible? That's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with. Characters only having one set of clothes is soo last decade anyway :p.

TiDUS.AHOLiC
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh okay. Nevermind... then I'm guessing it depends? Lol.

abrojtm
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
As already stated, the characters do not breathe under water. They train themselves to hold their breath for long periods of time. This is proven in the FFX:International teaser "Eternal Calm" in which Yuna is training to hold her breath.

Also, the pyrefly theory doesn't really hold up because there is Blitzball in Dream Zanarkand but no pyreflies.

G SpOtZ
07-20-2006, 10:18 PM
So all-in-all, the FFX cast is a bunch of dolphins. Yes, dolphins. Just highly evolved dolphins that took the form of humans as in our world.

R=U, too.

Tavrobel
07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I never said that the pyrefly theory was the best. Nor to I find it to be anywhere near 100% accurate.

It CAN hold up for DZ, because DZ is a dream of the Fayth. Dreams of the Fayth are, essentially Aeons. Aeons are made of pyreflies. Not only that, DZ isn't technically as coporeal as the rest of Spira, as the Fayth can make the Dreams into whatever biological incentive that they wish, but the theory isn't kosher with some of the explanations of DZ.

But everything makes sense if they are dolphins. Tidus = Cloud.

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 05:20 PM

I assumed that the other characters just couldn't swim, or were too heavy. Auron would sink like a rock with those heavy clothes and equipment.

Remon
07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
And Lulu would ruin her dress.:D

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
The belts woud just float apart XD
It's a wonder it never snags on anything, especially in Kilika.

Yuna said she can't swim, and Kimahri doesn't want to leave Yuna???

Remon
07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Well somehow cheaty Yuna Learned to swim in X2 since she Plays Blitz there.:mad:

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
She says she's been practicing her diving over the two years.

Christmas
07-21-2006, 06:38 PM
They take drugs.

Remon
07-21-2006, 06:58 PM
OMG LOL haha.
They could use medicine though not drugs

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Maybe....the water is CARDBOARD!!!

bipper
07-28-2006, 07:56 PM