PDA

View Full Version : The 1st hour (or so)

Ifrit's_Daddy
07-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Personally, I hate the first hour or so of FF's, but then go on to love the rest of the game. I cant really talk of 1-5 as i havent played them but 6-10 and even TA has that initial part where i really have to urge myself to keep playing as i know it will soon get good. What do you guys think bout the first hour (or so), or has it never bothered you?

ljkkjlcm9
07-20-2006, 12:43 AM
it only seems to bother me when I've already played the game and there is all the tutorial stuff, I already know how to play thank you!

THE JACKEL

Chris
07-20-2006, 12:53 AM
it only seems to bother me when I've already played the game and there is all the tutorial stuff.
Yeah, same thing happens to me. I NEVER get tired of playing through certain games though.

Rengori
07-20-2006, 01:26 AM
I can say that the first hour or so of I-V don't bug me, neither does IX, but VII's loses its touch the second time or so, VIII just sucks, and X is really really long and boring.

Griff
07-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Well at least it's not as bad as the first couple hours of KH2, but I agree it can still be pretty bad.

Prancing Mad
07-20-2006, 03:05 AM
For some reason, I always end up playing the 1st few hours way too many times, and then they get awfully repetitive. I don't know how it always happens though

DeathKnight
07-20-2006, 05:08 AM
???? what's this talk of hours?

I love every seconds

Darkwing Bahamut
07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Actually, I like the beginning of FF games, they're usually fast progressing and exciting (like FFX and FFXII), except for the tutorials of course.

Sefie1999AD
07-20-2006, 09:46 AM
I mostly like the beginnings of FF games. FFI's is alright, quite a typical "Save the Princess!" beginning, but it gets great when you cross the bridge and hear the Prologue for the first time. :) FFII's opening cutscene (defeated in battle, warriors revived, joining the Rebel Army) is okay, but other than that, there's not much going on except when Scott dies. FFIII's beginning is great with the Wind Cave, the Onion Kids' comments, the boss and the events after that.

I think FFIV's opening is excellent. It's quite long, but there's a lot of thoughtful stuff going on, and it's a great moment when Cecil and Kain leave for the Village of Mist together. FFV's is very beautiful, and the song "A Presentiment" works perfectly with the events, and pretty much everything from the beginning to the Wind Shrine is a lot of fun. FFVI's good too and has plenty of fun parts until Tina and Locke leave Narshe.

I liked FFVII's first hour a lot since it was an action-filled beginning, a raid on a Mako Reactor. FFVIII's was actually quite dry with the exception of the stunning opening FMV. Other than that, the good parts don't really start until the invasion of Dollet. FFIX's beginning was one of my favorites. A lot of well done FMVs, beautiful music, a lot of minigames and some humor too. Just be careful not to spend the first 3-5+ hours playing card games and doing the Zidane vs. Blank duel. :p FFX's opening is decent. The Zanarkand piano part is beautiful, Tidus and Auron fighting Sin is alright, but after that, the game remains quite dry for a few hours, until you set the sails for Kilika. FFX-2's intro isn't too bad, though it takes a while to get used to the game's style and the fast battles.

Lilliputian Hitcher
07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Usually if a game hasn't grabbed me in the first hour it's a pretty clear indicator of whether I will actually like it or not. One thing I hate above all else in video games is terrible pacing (Xenogears, for instance).

-X-Trance_Kuja-X-
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I loved the beginning of FFIX I just love starting in a town, yeah give me a good town to explore and it might be because I played the jump rope game first time and got to a thousand jumps...I believe it was a fluke:p

drunkymonkey
07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I think for me, one of the main draws of Final Fantasy is developing the characters and getting rare items and all this jazz. At the very start of the game it's just basic, linear stuff, stuff that you know everyone else is forced to do.

Ifrit's_Daddy
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I think for me, one of the main draws of Final Fantasy is developing the characters and getting rare items and all this jazz. At the very start of the game it's just basic, linear stuff, stuff that you know everyone else is forced to do.

I think you nailed my problem by saying that, generally i find at the beginning of games, youre pretty much limited to "attack" and "item", maybe one of your party can do magic and there is only one or two people in your team. For me, FF really gets going when you have a full party of 3 or 4 (depending on which FF youre playing) and you got mad skillz!

For the games i've played, i think (probably contraversially!) VII has the worst beginning. For me, that game doesnt really get going until you leave midgar for the first time (tho the biker bit at the end of midgar is awesome!)

Polaris
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I hate when Quistis is explaining the turtorial, it takes ages and the second time you play it, you get bored coz you already know the stuff!

Topcat
07-20-2006, 02:29 PM
[/QUOTE]For the games i've played, i think (probably contraversially!) VII has the worst beginning. For me, that game doesnt really get going until you leave midgar for the first time (tho the biker bit at the end of midgar is awesome!)[/QUOTE]

I disagree, FF7 has a great begining, the action and storyline is fast paced, certainly not boring.

The problem isn't just in FF games though, most games will inventively have a slow learning curve, especially RPG's becuase they are fairly complex and need getting used to.

Rengori
07-20-2006, 03:13 PM
After the first reactor is detonated it sorta goes downhill until you reach Shinra Tower.

Twilight Edge
07-20-2006, 03:22 PM
After the first reactor is detonated it sorta goes downhill until you reach Shinra Tower.
Yup.The only uphill-er part is when Aeris says something about Cloud come crashing through the church roof.

Griff
07-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I hate when Quistis is explaining the turtorial, it takes ages and the second time you play it, you get bored coz you already know the stuff!
which is why you hit the start or Select button (forget which) to skip the explanations

Marly
07-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I disagree, FF7 has a great begining, the action and storyline is fast paced, certainly not boring.

that's what I thought. I found it really fun, and brought me right into the game.

VIII's beginning is so damn long and boring. But then, I found a lot of that game to be.

Polaris
07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
which is why you hit the start or Select button (forget which) to skip the explanations

:eek: I knew you would have smth for that! :razz:

But you know the first hours are always more boring, I just started to really like FF8, when we went to Timber!

Ifrit's_Daddy
07-21-2006, 03:58 PM

For putting you right into the action, yeah i'd agree VII has a good opening. the storyline is fast paced, but slowed right down by excruciatingly long areas (such as the brothel!!!). i felt that until you left midgar the game was too linear. an i dont know bout anyone else, but i hated the shinra tower. stupid puzzles that made it long and boring ruined it for me.
it sounds like im slaggin this game off but dont get me wrong, VII is most def one of my favourite FF's. its jus i get put off replaying it cause of how long it takes to get out of midgar. after that, it truely is amazing

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2006, 06:43 PM

You can skip that with triangle.

I didn't know that untill the 7th time I went through.
...That's right. I said seventh.
My favorite is definately FFX. I LOVED fighting in Zanarkand, I wish I could fight there more.
As far as repetivie cutscenes, KH2 was the best. You can skip every scene except for on the gummi ship and the ending and then look at the journal to see what happened and what to do next.

Yuffie514
07-21-2006, 11:09 PM
i like to skip the tutorial and learn things on my own. i guess it's my concept of a challenge...

boys from the dwarf
07-23-2006, 09:08 AM
only with a few FFs. FF1,2,5 were fine. ive not played FF3. in FF1 its not bad at all. you just go into cornelia buy some stuff and talk to the king and it already begins to get good. in FF2 you just train up a bit then go to fynn. FF4 gets on my nerves a bit with all of the travelling and going through the same boring places over and over. it picks up after you go to the castle where you meet edward "you spoony bard!" heheh :D! FFV is just plain fun. its moves pretty quickly and its funny (mainly because of galuf.) "ah horsecrap! your only coming because youve got the hots for her!" or something like that.FF6 is good. FF7 isnt bad but the first hour or so is a bit boring. when you get to the bit where you fight the air buster it gets good. FF8 althbough its one of the best FF's the start is bad. you have to fight ifrit and do the exam and everything and it takes ages to get good. FF9 is great but the evil forest and ice caves can be boring. FFX is fine apart from the part where you go to the temple and have to make the fire and then get captured by albhed and fight the ocptopus thing. starts are never the best bits but there all good games.

Fireblade13
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Ehhh... FFX is a cool the first time. but then its like okay no one cares just get to the ship so i can fite sin for massive power leveling.