PDA

View Full Version : Games from your childhood

Mo-Nercy
07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Did any of you play a game as a child, maybe just at an older friends or cousins place, and not realise what the game was until MUCH later?

I've only just realised that I HAVE in fact played Contra. I've always thought Contra was some bad-ass old school game that everyone except me had played. Then I bump into some screenshots randomly and I was returned to a world of youthful innocence. xD

Man I love Contra.

I had a similar thing happen with Dr. Mario and Keen but for those it didn't take me as long to notice.

bipper
07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Pack-Man for the lazer 128 was my frist addiction. It was 1985, and I was 3. I guess I loved playin it though :) My daughter currently loves playing WoW at 2 and a half :) I am SO proud!

I got the Nintendo the year it came out, and would rent a new game every weekend. I was in heaven. Then I met Final Fantasy... omg, that was awsome. I rented it about 6 months striaght :)

I do remember Contra, and the konomi code :) My cousin and I would always love beatin the hell outta that game. So much fun! Just being able to have two players playing at the same time. What a HUGE deal.

Bipper

Doomie
07-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Out of nowhere, I'm like: Hey, what was that old NES game I used to play at my cousin's house? Double Dragon 2! OMG I started playing it again. Soooo awesome.

Flying Mullet
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I do remember Contra, and the konomi code :) My cousin and I would always love beatin the hell outta that game. So much fun! Just being able to have two players playing at the same time. What a HUGE deal.
I remember this fondly too. I remember hearing about it during recess (I was in the fourth or fifth grade) and that friday night my friend and I rented a Nintendo and Contra just to try out the code. Even with 30 lives and three continues the first time we played we only made it to the end of the fifth level. xD

Also, it was only a couple of years ago that I realized that when I first played Nintendo games, I was playing on a Famicom and not a NES. My best friend at the time was Tiawanese and his friend's aunt had bought him a video game system when she was back over in Asia for business. We used to play Super Mario Brothers, Solomon's Key and some tank game. I realized that it was the Famicom because we were playing it in the summer/fall of 1985, and Nintendos didn't show up on US soil until late 1985, and then only in limited availability in New York City. Also, I remember that they had this 400 page guide book that outlined every level in Super Mario Brothers, where every hidden block enemy, coin, etc... was shown in full color maps. It was all in some strange language that I couldn't understand, but I always referenced the pictures.

krayziesaiko
07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
This is one of the biggest reasons I am so excited about the Wii. About 6 years ago I dug out our NES and started playing all the old Mario games again. I definitely looked at them differently. And of course there was also Narc, Tetris, Final Fantasy, Marble Madness (lol) and many many others! Unfortunately my NES is with my dad in another state, but I am hoping I can get all those games once again on the Wii.
And super NES, well, I could go on....

Craig
07-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Like, a few months ago I went into a game shop in town and saw Street Fighter II Turbo and Pop n Twinbee for the SNES. I loved those games when I was little so I bought them.

BardTard
07-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Last year just out of the blue I remembered playing this game ODT (Escape or Die Trying) when I was younger. I was like, I NEED this game! But I couldn't find it anywhere... no stores had it anywhere and I could only find used copies of it online. :mad2: I HATE used copies. I Still don't have it... :(

Roto13
07-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Deja Vu for the NES. I got it for my birthday one year. I didn't like it at first, because there was no action whatsoever. It was a point-and-click RPG about a detective with amnesia. Over the course of a week, I fell in love with it. It's probably my favourite NES game. I should look for the Game Boy Color version.

Zeromus_X
07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Many more SNES games than NES games, but still quite a few of those. (Mega Man, Zelda, SMB, etc. And of course FFI, but I was too young to appreciate it. ) For the SNES, FFIV, FFVI, CT, Secret of Mana, and SMBRPG.

I could never beat Birdo as a child. :/