PDA

View Full Version : How do you build your characters?

Zeromus_X
07-23-2006, 12:17 AM
*refreshes FFII forum*

Firion- I make him a Paladin, with white magic and swords
Maria- I make her a Black Mage, with black magic and bows
Guy- Guy hits things. With axes.
Leon- He also hits things. With...lots of things.

Yeah, I'm not very creative. But anyway. How do you build your characters? I've always wanted to try out bare fists, I hear that's like the best at the highest levels or something.

Angi-Kaiser
07-23-2006, 03:21 PM
You build them by using comands. For example: The more you attack with one weapon, the more that weapon skill rises. The high skill you have for a weapon, the more damage you'll do with it (Ex. If your bow skill is 16 (the highest you can go), and you sword skill is 3, you'l do alot more damage with a bow). When you lose a great amount of HP, your max HP will grow. Same with MP. There are minor stats that are raised by using magic/ attacking/ getting hit/ evading that affect how much HP/ MP you'll gain (Ex. stamina is how much your max. HP will increase). Does that awnser your question (If not, I'm really sorry!)?

Sylvie
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
He wasn't asking how it works, he's asking how you, as yourself, build your character on your game.

Angi-Kaiser
07-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh... sorry! I usually Have Firion as an attacker (Sword), Maria as an attacker (barefists)/ Magic user, Gus as an attacker/ random spell caster, and whoever else as a suport character. However, next time I start a new game, I'm going to try to mix it up a bit.

rubah
07-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Frioniel does the sword thing and has a small repetoire of white magic, he specialized in bolt magic at the first of the game

Maria does canes, and the white magic, and the ice thing. It's fitting, seeing how purple her portrait sprite is

guy holds the axes, fire, and ultima. And since he's an awesome damage dealer, he has the ribbon so he won't DIE or get PETRIFIED or STATUS'd

Lionheart also does the sword thing, and he has a handful of white magic spells, but cure is the only of them that's levelled to anything useful.

druinmaster
07-24-2006, 05:07 AM
firion my theif of unholy dodgy-ness who knows how to use cure and change,guy my demonic dual axe carrying death dealer who knows cure,change,and most importantly exit
,and last but not least maria my barefisted goddess who kills everything dumb enough to be on the other end of her fists.........who also serves as the only person with life,heal,bolt,ice,fire,aero, and also happens to be good at using cure,and change

Znake
07-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Firion: I let him use his bare hands + equip him with the best Armour. Early in the game hes a one man army.

Maria: White Magic (Cure), and Black Magic (mostly Fire)

Guy: All the best Swords, Axes, Staffs and Armour.

Leon: Same as above.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Attacking with bare hands is your saviour in the Origins version. It is not possible in my book to defeat many of the earlier bosses with equipped weapons

Crossblades
07-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Firion- Paladin with some white magic and swords
Maria- Black Mage with bows
Guy- Axe Wielding Warrior.
Leon- Dark Knight. No Magic though

As Zeromus_X said, not a creative party, but it gets the job done;)

druinmaster
07-25-2006, 06:26 AM
unless your playing dawn of souls bows will murder your magic....why is beyond me they dont weigh much and are generally attributed to healers in the series so...why

Zeromus_X
07-25-2006, 06:38 AM
How do bows kill your magic?

Cid Vicious
07-25-2006, 08:14 AM
I treat them all as Warriors. I give them all the best weapons and armour and have them all in the front row attacking. I give Maria the cure magic but nothing else, she's too weak attacking from the back and magic takes too long to level up. The only time i use it is when i get Holy to kill the Flans.

Sefie1999AD
07-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I usually twist the character jobs around a bit, differing from the "normal". Here's the jobs in my previous game (in DoS):

Frioniel - White mage with a staff
Maria - Black mage with a dagger
Guy - A fighter with two axes
Lionheart - A sword and a shield, and some basic white and black magic.

scrumpleberry
07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Dawn of Souls:

Firion-White magic and swords
Maria-Black magic, a bit of white and staves
Guy-He hits things. With his fists and axes. And has a small amount of magic
Leon-I didn't bother to level him, so he was just useless. And died.He was dead all the way through pandaemonium, I revived him in time for the emperor, and he died on the first turn. Pathetic.

Crossblades
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
unless your playing dawn of souls bows will murder your magic....why is beyond me they dont weigh much and are generally attributed to healers in the series so...why

It didn't seem to hurt my Maria's magical ability:confused:

druinmaster
07-28-2006, 06:47 AM
How do bows kill your magic?
bows have a scary large 70 int/soul penalty a decent idea though is equiping it to attack and unequiping it to use magic to avoid the evil penalty the bonus penalty thing is hard to understand or see for that matter
and if your wearing the right armors you have no in battle int or soul anyway the best way to explain the magic difference is use a spell on a monster wearing all your gear then remove all your gear and recast the spell

rubah
07-28-2006, 06:55 AM
And you know this how? x.x;

Sefie1999AD
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't think FFII DoS has much int/soul penalties, if any, but yes, it's actually correct that the bows will considerably hurt your magic. According to DJZen's studies (http://www.strizzuth.com/jadepassage/Weapons.html), bows and shields have the biggest penalties on Intelligence and Soul stats. That's why, knives/daggers, most staffs/canes and even bare fists are probably the most suitable weapons for mage characters.

Peter_20
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
*refreshes FFII forum*

Firion- I make him a Paladin, with white magic and swords
Maria- I make her a Black Mage, with black magic and bows
Guy- Guy hits things. With axes.
Leon- He also hits things. With...lots of things.

Yeah, I'm not very creative. But anyway. How do you build your characters? I've always wanted to try out bare fists, I hear that's like the best at the highest levels or something.That's exactly the way I build my characters.
I often found Leon to be a left-over, though, because his physical attacks were always inferior to Gus. XD

The first times I played this game, I was madly in love with the Fighter/Black Mage/White Mage formation, so I actually used to play like this:

FIRION: Fighter
MARIA: White Mage
GUS: Black Mage
LEON: Fighter

Worst party ever. XD

rubah
07-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I studied the charts on your site, and I really don't see how a INT/Soul penalty works into this? (I'm playing a NES rom) Frioniel was casting Holy5 and doing in the low 200s dmg with it the other night with genji equipment and all sorts of fun stuff, and now, I've got him equipped with the masamune, ribbon, and black robe, which are all supposed to be with no penalty at all, and it's still doing damage in the low 200s.

Just to make sure, I requipped him with all the equipment supposedly penalizing magic-- sun sword, genji helmet, a shield, genji armor, diamond glove, and he's still doing in the low 200s with holy5.

I equipped Guy similarly, except bare fisted instead of with masamune, and he had been doing about 30-40 dmg with holy1 and he's still doing about 30-40 dmg like this.