PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages

Strider
07-23-2006, 08:38 AM
They really suck. Especially when it's 11:30 at night and it's still about 100 degrees outside. But alas, the power went out for a little while here earlier and I was completely spooked, mostly because I'm by myself. I can't hang with that. ;_;

So yeah, this thread is about how much power outages suck. When was the last time your lights went out?

Yamaneko
07-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I would probably die. It's still about 90-95 degrees inside right now and without fans on I would never fall asleep. We get power through DWP. They're usually pretty good.

Xaven
07-23-2006, 08:42 AM
We haven't had a blackout for maybe a year or two. Frankly, I like them. :D

Once, we had a "brown out". There's two power lines feeding our area, and only one of them broke, so we had half the usual amount of power. All the lights were eerily brownish, and we had to unplug all the appliances because the motors would murder themselves trying to run. :D

LunarWeaver
07-23-2006, 08:45 AM
It went out today for a few seconds. I live in nowhere and everytime somebody sneezes within a mile radius of my power cords my electricty calls it quits.

Flea
07-23-2006, 09:03 AM
The lights rarely go out here. I can't remember the last time it happened.

It happened somewhat frequent when I was in Australia, though.

G SpOtZ
07-23-2006, 09:33 AM
It was 4th of July. No, I couldn't see the fireworks any better, because I'm surrounded by forest and jungle. I was bored out of my mind, so I did about 100 chin-ups while listening to meh iPod. At least I got a decent workout.

Didn't the base for MySpace have a power outage today?

Faris
07-23-2006, 02:21 PM
I think it's okay when they're out during the day when it's sunny, but at night or with a thunder storm = :(

Rusty
07-23-2006, 02:37 PM
The last one we had was about a month ago. You get used to them.

Zeldy
07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Years and years ago, but It was in the day, so it wasn't so bad.

Psydekick
07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I reckon i have only ever experienced a proper power cut twice in my life, i actually like them:p

Dreddz
07-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Once and awhile, lame if im on the computer, mega lame if im playing a game :mad:

RSL
07-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Power outages are a very rare thing here, and if they happen, it's usually only for a few minutes.

Psydekick
07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes same here i think the longest one i had once 20 minutes

Medi
07-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I haven't had a power outage in a long time. The longest one I've had lasted about 7 hours. Others were not so fortunate.

Aradae
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm playing WoW and we're in the instance ready to pull the final boss. We pull, lightning strike, power outage. It only lasts for like 3 seconds but I log on, find that I'm dead and everyone in the group hates me.

Resha
07-23-2006, 06:52 PM
A few hours ago. I like power outages at night! I like walking around with a candle. It thrills me.

Yuffie514
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
few years ago. the lights went out in the summertime thanks to the forest fires. well, it happened just before it got dark. was fun, since i got to light candles and put them in different places. feels like dark castle or dungeon...

feona17
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
My power went out a couple days ago. That sucked a lot of smurfing butt. I remember the worst power outage I had, was the famous one of 2003 when like millions of people on the east coast lost their power. It lasted a day for me. It was like living in the middle ages for smurfing sake.

Xaven
07-23-2006, 10:25 PM
I think it's okay when they're out during the day when it's sunny, but at night or with a thunder storm = :(
...You got it backwards. D:

Laugh at face of Danger
07-23-2006, 10:26 PM
power hasn't gone out for a long time (couple of years) and last time i lost some important documents, was a real pain in the A$$

DeathKnight
07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
My power went out a couple days ago. That sucked a lot of smurfing butt. I remember the worst power outage I had, was the famous one of 2003 when like millions of people on the east coast lost their power. It lasted a day for me. It was like living in the middle ages for smurfing sake.

Distain
07-24-2006, 12:14 AM
A big storm hit here rececntly and it went out for like 4 hours. And it really was pretty big..lots of lighting and I think a tornado touched down somwhere..

mooglebunni608
07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I think the power was out for a few seconds this morning, but I'm not sure because I wasn't exactly awake at the time. XD

Levian
07-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I hate watching TV in the dark. My eyes gets exhausted.

Miriel
07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
I remember a few years ago, we had to have classes in the dark because California was going through the whole rolling blackouts thing. That wasn't pleasent.

If the power went off this week, I would just lay down the ground and die. Because it's so hot here that if the AC wasn't working, you might as well just DIE.

Mirage
07-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Power outages are actually kinda neat, especially if there's a thunderstorm outside. Creates a cool atmosphere. We haven't had those in years though.
When it comes to brownout and outages lasting just a few seconds, they're annoying. Not as annoying as they used to be though, because I have a laptop now. :]

Dark Angel From Heaven
07-24-2006, 02:15 PM
>< the power whent out for a weak in my old house dering last summer, so hot. nothing in are house work'd it blows. we had no AC. No lights. it was so hot we had to sleep in the basement. and it was hot down there too. hurt my foot on something ><

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
2002. Yeah this sticks in my mind since it happened right when the World Cup third place was being played

Peegee
07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
we had a brown out (or whatever) a few weeks ago. I woke up, went downstairs and went online.

Boom, everything goes out. I stare at my brother, and we go upstairs. I check the fridge....ZOMG POWER BACK.

I play video games for the rest of the day.

^_^_^_^_^_^

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
It blinks alot around here. I'll just wake up about a few times a month and the clocks will all be blinking.

We had one power out during the last super bowl (but I hate football, so who cares?) and another while my brother got past this hard part on his game...he was pretty upset.

Tasura
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
On Friday some idiot left a ocnstruction site with the back part of a dumptruck up, tore the power lines and polls down, the power was out for 7 hours, then the one a few years agi, with the massive ice storm, i think the power was off for like 6 days.

SammieBabe
07-24-2006, 08:34 PM
The last time we lost power for a period of time was during the hurricanes of '04. There were 4 within 6 weeks and we lost power during 2 of them. We got it back within a couple hours though.
We had a bad thunderstorm on Saturday and our power blinked off and on every time lightning hit...

Rengori
07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
It hasn't been for a while, not since the construction workers learned how to wire a house without knocking out the power for the neighborhood.

Leen-Leen
07-25-2006, 05:05 AM
There was one today, actually, but it lasted like ten minutes.

rubah
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
power was out at work saturday, the first time I ever worked a morning shift. So I pulled up to find everyone milling about not knowing what to do-- the cooler was warm (up to 70 degrees) nothing was running etc etc etc. Some people ran off to the store to grab some food, some talked on cell phones, and then suddenly five minutes later, the lights came back on, and almost everything was up. The lights had gone out two hours before, but I don't think anything had time to spoil.

People were rather dismayed that we weren't open by the usual time. The place I work is a bit of a local legend, and has some very loyal custom. Other people come to it just to see what the fuss is about.

That might've been why we got our power back so soon. Other places in town didn't get it back for nearly a day.

G SpOtZ
07-25-2006, 06:28 AM
The MySpace data center had a power outage twice last week. (I start my weeks on monday)
Yeah. Then the uploading of pictures got f'ed up. I tried to upload some pics of myself but then came up random pics of random people... not even in my computer. I toyed around with that for awhile, and took advantage of it. =D

Hambone
07-25-2006, 08:55 AM
About a year ago. It was out for a really long time too. It sucked eggs.

Drift
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah i blame the heat

Reine
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
The power went out once when I was saving my game. Corrupted file, ftw

Arrianna
07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
We get power outages several times a year here, especially during brushfire season. Theyll last from a few minutes to several hours. So basically we have candles and laterns on hand just in case. It really doesnt make any difference except not being able to cook. There is three seperate grids in the area so usually you just end up ordering from a restaraunt on another grid.