PDA

View Full Version : My first impressions

Beren
07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Beren Timber. I am a new member.

I am a great fan of final fantasy and it's stories.

The first final fantasy game i ever played was final fantasy 8. About Squall, Rinoa, and many others.

My first impressions of this game were of awe, thrill, and excitement. I never saw a game like i did a long time ago. When i first heard and saw final fantasy 8, let alone a game apart of the final fantasy series, my first impression was, "I didn't know you could move people in the world anywhere you want!!"

That was my first contact with an RPG game. And thankfully it was final fantasy.

I would just like to know what your first impressions were of Final fantasy 8. How you came to hear of the game. What did you think when you first played through the game. What did you think when you first saw an RPG like that game, and how did it compare with other RPG's at the time it was released or at the time you played it.

PerpetualBurn
07-23-2006, 07:13 PM
My first RPG was FFVII. It was when I was a kid and I was off school ill. I don't remember what with, so it can't have been serious, but I remember that my Dad must've thought it would keep me out of school for at least a couple of days because he offered to go and rent me a game. Not knowing much about it other than it had looked cool in the shop when I was last in the rental place, I asked if he'd get FFVII. I then spent the next few days playing on it. And then I went and bought it a few weeks later (when I saved up my pennies).

I was enthralled by this whole world in the game. And after I finished it, I wanted more like it, but didn't know what to get. Eventually when I heard about the sequel coming out in games mags I was desperate for it. I got my Dad to drive me into town from school just so I could have it the day it was out. And I loved it.

It really was an astonishingly good game, and it is an absolute classic.

IceAngel
07-23-2006, 07:43 PM
My 1st RPG was FFVIII as well. I remember seeing it on an advert on TV amd it looked like it was a scary wizard thing (duno why lol, I was young) because it was the scene where Squall jumps onto the boat thing at the begining of the game. Anyways, I'd seen my older brother playing FFVII on PC and then he went out and bought FFVIII. I started playing it and it has been my favourite ever since. The End :D

Dr. Acula
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM
The first I saw (but not played) was ff7, and although I was only 5 at the time, I understood the gist of the storyline and I was immediately hooked to a game that I had only ever watched my brother play!
I love it more than ever now, and I'd play it if MY BROTHER HADN'T LOST THE FIRST DISC!!!! *ahem*. Sorry.

Zeromus_X
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I think it's a beautiful game, ignoring petty complaints people have about the story. The music, atmosphere, and overall world was very beautiful. The only thing I disliked was having only six characters to play as at the end of the game, it would've kicked ass to have Laguna's gang, Seifer, and Edea* join the crew. But it is all about the 'destined children' after all.

*Wait, nevermind...

Polaris
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
My first RPG was also FFVIII, it was the last one that was relesed and I had to have it! Until I played a bit more, I thought it was really good, it had everything a game could have and it wasn't that hard! The characters are good (generally), it's not that hard to play you must have plans to defeat, so you must be cleaver enough. Graphics aren't that bad, and the FMVs are excellent!

Omni-Odin
07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
My first impression of FFVIII was: WOW! I loved the game even though FFVII was my first Final Fantasy.

Ryushikaze
07-31-2006, 03:38 AM
My first RPG was Breath of Fire 2. My first FF was 4, way back when they called it 2.

Darkwing Bahamut
07-31-2006, 08:09 AM
My first FF was FFX, followed by FFVIII. When I started playing I really liked the opening FMV, it was dramatic and the music 'Liberi Fatali' was awesome and goes well with the scenes. I didn't like the characters at first but later on Squall became my favourite. The graphics didn't seem that good when I first played it, but that was expected, with FFX being my first game.

chrisfffan
08-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Final Fantasy 8 was my first Final Fantasy game it existed me in ways on a few games have I can only think of two this one and metal gear solid (the original) theirs just something about this game I love the music the characters and the story line its my favourite Final Fantasy and iv completed them all, maybe its because it was my first FF game, I bought FF7 off e-bay this year I enjoyed it and their was more of a purpose to it about saving the planet and Sephiroth really made the game he was the bad guy all the way through I think they should of done something like that in 8 with the sorceress.

licence
08-05-2006, 12:09 AM
My first one was FFVII but I was too young to really care about completing it. My first game when I was old enough to give a damn was FFVIII and it still remains my firm favourite.

Thorn
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=89147

Exactly the same topic about FF10 made by you. FF7 next? Seem's a pretty soft excuse for making a topic.

I didn't like FF8 at first and gave up, I played it again later and won.

psychic_river
08-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Final Fantasy 8 was my second RPG, my first ones being 10 and 7. I played 8 right after 7. I remember seeing the game in my brother's room and thinking "the main character looks really cool." I didn't try it until much later because I was more interested in fighting games and pretty graphics at the time.

Well, my first impression was utter awe during the intro movie. The music was cool, the characters looked realistic and attractive, and there was a lot of action and an underlying theme of romance in just that intro. Once I gained actual control of Squall, I had a blast exploring the Balamb Garden.

The graphics form 8 of course don't compare to 10, but were a HUGE improvement from 7. I especially liked the FMVs, which gave you an idea of what these characters were meant to look like. Even the in-game graphics were very good.

What I liked most about 8, though, is I knew nothing about it. I didn't know who would become members of my party, the story, nothing. With 7 I played it after hearing all the hype about the game, which I think ruined the experience. 8 was fresh and new. Plus, it was heavy on romance, like 10, which I really liked.

My -only- complaints about 8 are that the story was confusing and there could have been more mini games. Also, like someone else said, the villain role was changed too often. First Seifer, then Edea, then Adel, then Ultimecia. Overally I really had fun playing the game and the ending was among the best I've ever seen.

runawaydoomtrain
08-14-2006, 08:04 PM
My first ever RPG was Final Fantasy VIII as well. I started near the end of 2000 with my cousin. He said "which game do you want to play?" Then he said "Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy IX" I said FFVIII and glad I did. This is about the 5th or 6th time of me playing it all the way through and I'm still learning things I never knew about before.

IceAngel
08-16-2006, 02:55 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=89147

Exactly the same topic about FF10 made by you. FF7 next? Seem's a pretty soft excuse for making a topic.

Its a good idea I think. If you have never played the games or are thinking of buying it you can look in a forum like this and kind of get a short review.

GuitarGuy1181
08-17-2006, 02:55 AM
My first rpg was FF I for the NES ;)

I loved 8, going through it again right now.....

leonheart_blade
08-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Most people don't like Final Fantasy VIII, But it was the first final fantasy I remember playing. I'm sure that VII could be better, but I wouldn't know because I've never played it...I've heard the storyline and like it, but 8 is still my favorite.

I thought it had kick butt graphics and it was the greatist thing evar! I was only nine at the time, but I played it and loved the dance scene to death. Well, I just recently started to play it again, and still love it.

Melodies_of_life
08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
About a year ago one of my friends introduced me to the FF series. I had never played an rpg before and I was willing to give it a shot.

So.... I borrowed one of the games..... the first ff game I played was FFIX. It was the first time I had ever seen anything like it.

After that game I have been on a FF spree as I call it, playing every FF game that I could find.
After IX, I then played VII, then it was X and X-2. Even though I jumped around in the orders of the games the story line for every FF game that I played always seems to get better and better. I am now on VIII and the first time I started playing it ....WOW ....

I love all of the FF games.......

chrisfffan
08-22-2006, 08:43 PM
my friend Vinnie told me about it I think that’s the best way of knowing something is good when your friends introduce you to it another mate Zack told me about metal gear solid and that along with final fantasy 8 are my favourite games.