PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of Final Fantasy X

Beren
07-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Hello. I'm new member. My name is Beren Timber.

I started playing final fantasy when I heard and played final fantasy 8. After playing only a little bit of final fantasy 8, i didn't hear about another final fantasy game until 3-4 years later or so (I don't know how long it was until Final Fantasy 10 came out) but I went to buy my first new game system, the playstation 2. I had the money, but i also had extra. I wanted to buy a good game. I saw final fantasy up in the glass case at Meijers and i thought (there are more games like this????? what!?) so i bought it.

When i first popped the disc in my face and jaw dropped in amazement at the graphics. The first game for PS2 being Final fantasy X changed my perspective on gaming. I was so excited that i told everyone bout it.

I saw Tidus's Face in the intro video and the facial expressions and eye movments and the wonderful amazing landscape in Zanarkand.

I was filled with Awe, amazement, bewilderment. I couldn't believe it. The music captivated me, the characters I fell in love with, the monsters i beat down, the plot if oh so loved, and the story was just tearful and joyous.

And that was the first final fantasy game i ever beat fully 100% with ultimate weapons, Full sphere grids on every character. And i did it all in one game. my first game. I got so obssessed i wanted to level my characters to fill the whole grid. (i'm kinda obssessive compulsive so i don't like seeing empty circles on my grid for any character). After i filled my grid from running Omega ruins and other hard places, I finally went to face sin. The battle went quickly as i saw my chacters deal 99,999 dmg to the monster. I saw it go down quickly in one hit. I was like "omg!" I went on venturing in sin and defeated the boss. The story and ending made me cry.

And when i finished the game and the end credits played through, tons of emotions came across my face, many thoughts strolled through my mind about the adventure i took through the game.

I was on the edge of my bed sobbing, laughing, cheering, and motivated.

that was my impressions of the game. It brought me a new excitement for the final fantasy series.

I wanna hear your story about how you got the game, how you felt when you first popped the disc in, and what your impressions were of the game and the story, characters, and all that good stuff. Also tell me if you beat the game and everything and what you went through to do it.

Tavrobel
07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Hello there. My name is Lúthien Tinúviel. Ohh wait, wrong "Beren."
You are Timber. I am thinking of Erchamion.

I first remeber hearing about FF while reading a gaming Magazine. At that point, it was mostly previews for FFX. So when I got a PS2, I decided to get all the other FFs that I could play, but I had to return the FFVIII because it was broken. When I first put the DVD in, I wasn't really amazed, because at that point, I had heard so much of FFX, and I expected the same quality of game as the other FFs because it was a FF (after playing IV, IIIj, and I on emulator). I gave it a chance, and it is now my fourth favorite video game (right behind FFIIIj, Starcraft, and Warcraft III).

However, what I didn't remember at the time, was I had played my cousin's PC version of FFVIII, helping him get levels and magic hoarding. I didn't understand the plot, but hey, who really wants to mess with time travel?

I beat the game as mercilessly as I could, getting all that I could get and by the time I got to Mt. Gagazet, I was FAR too underleveled to handle it, so I nearly gave up at the Yunalesca fight. I didn't though, and when I beat the game, the ending was very powerful for me, but I am surprised at hearing people crying because of it.

I had also instantly fallen in love with Rikku during the game (and the FMV "Reunion" will explain why), which is why I was very disappointed to see that she was stripped down from her FFX incarnation (literally and figuratively), and dumbed down to the intellegence of a ball point pen in FFX-2.

N8V_Tidus25
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Well I can't lie, I honestly thought Final Fantasy games were for nerds and losers who had no lives but one day I saw my thugged out baggy clothed gun carrying tattoo'd back jail bird of a cousin playing the game and so I thought to myself... he must be gay... so after making fun of him for a long time, I came home one day after a game of basketball and seen that it was turned on and I could hear the Zanarkand piano theme and nobody was playing so I simply went to turn it off when suddenly I hear "This is MY story... this may be out last chance" and I was scoping the scenery and I was like whoa... grabbed the controller, my eye sight zoomed in and couldn't stop playing, it was the only FF game I ever played.:)

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 05:41 PM
By far the greatest game I ever played!
At the time I was in the middle of FFVIII the first time through (I was stuck...) and, I thought, I need a break from this game. So...I got FFX! I loved the opening, but I was disappointed that I couldn't fight in Zanarkand more. I also though that the part around the campfire was a little too long. I mean, I was staring at Tidus's face for a good 30 seconds before he said anything.

hplvr
07-24-2006, 06:47 PM
its one of the best i guess too...... but my favorite will have to be Final Fantasy 7, and plus thats the first one ive ever played

Thorn
07-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Nice story hplvr.

Well like alot of people, my first game was also FF7. I went from FF7, onwards to 10. When we got 10, because we were so excited we bought the stradegy guide before even getting a PS2.

Me and my brother have a tradition of playing final fantasy for the first time, together with like chips and coke (lol). So we were playing, me doing the boring parts. But eventually he went on a holiday and said I couldnt play it. So for like 2 weeks I didnt play, then he came back and said he had to lend it to a friend (apparently owed friend money). My brother then sold the game to my friend, and I was never able to finish it for a while.

A year later, I borrowed the game of my good pal and I won it by myself. I got to see the Tidus kiss scene for the first time, and the ending for the first time. It was all very neat. The ending made my sister cry, and I sniffeled (awwww). So yeh good game.

(7 was first game I ever finished without my brother, infact I finished it before him just like I did FF8 and FF10, he plays slow and gets distracted from game)

Darkwing Bahamut
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Final Fantasy X was the first FF game I played, and so far my favourite. The moment I started playing I was instantly hooked by the intriguing storyline and impressive graphics. I liked most of the characters, with my favourites being Tidus and Rikku (but by the end of the game I didn't like Tidus as much.) The music was amazing, especially the opening FMV theme 'Otherworld'. The character designs were very detailed and traditional, with the exception of some. I didn't really like the gameplay and mini games though, especially the stupid side quests and Blitzball.

Cid Vicious
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
I've only just started playing this game. I'm at the part where i've got to play the Blitzball tournement.
So far the games bored me, i'm hoping it gets better as it goes on, but i doubt it will. It reminds me of FFVIII which i could never get into either, I also played FFX-2 before X, which is probly the worst thing i could of done, as it gave me a negitive thought of the game before i even played it.

Dell
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Before I get to play the game, I thought it was fun. My friend (He played FFX first, then he lend it to me) always say about how fun they were. After a few months, my father bought me a PS2, I ask my father to find Final Fantasy X and X-2, but if he can't find it, I ask my father to buy Naruto Narutimett Hero as a replacement for Final Fantasy X. So my father go find the game and found only X-2 and Naruto. I was quite dissapointed, seeing how my friends praise it. I decided to borrow FFX from my friend and I finally get my hand on it (I didn't want to play FFX-2 because I haven't finished X yet).

Whne I first see Final Fantasy X, I imagine a great game with great tale. So I watch To Zanarkand, I was amazed by its brilliant graphic and sound. So I start a new game, it was fun in the Dream Zanarkand but when I reached Besaid, I started to think about how annoying Tidus is. I hate him, I REALLY HATE HIM. And so, I continue the story, noticing some story mistake and Tidus involvement in the game.....I really want to throw Tidus away from the game but can't (In fact, I can't). So story get boring and boring.....*yawn* The laughing scene was hell, I just want to pretend that it never happen, and Tidus is just a stupid boy from the wonderland. I was relieved when I finally finished it, but my calling cannot be changed! In every RPG, I will do every single sidequest! So, I started my day doing such crazy, hard and boring sidequest. Blah, blah, blah, I finally get my hand on powerful weapon, 255 stat and beaten the monster arena. Now, it's just left for me to beat Dark Anima, Dark Magus Sisters and Penance.

I hate Final Fantasy X and I was shocked to see that Final Fantasy X-2 was far better than X (for me), considering the bashing it gets. And for the 'favourite FF' thing, my favourite FF are still FFVII and FFIX.

zeilov_khaschante
07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Hello, everybody! just call me zeilov.

FF X is my first game on PS 2 too! Before I bought the PS 2, I already bought the FFX. And, It is AMAZING!!! Amazing picture, Amazing music too! I can't forget The Zanarkand. But well, I'm trying hard to complete the game right now (have trouble with the Sigil and Tidus Weapon) Ha ha :| . In the beginning I dislike the story because I thought it is too simple! But, when it comes to the end of the game, I realized that the story is amazing too.

For me, FF X is better than FF X-2. I hate FF X 2, and it is only because of the dancing of Yuna in the very beginning of the game! But the fighting is very much interesting. And the story make me have a BIG curiousity.

Rocket Edge
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
FFVIII was the first i played too. From the moment i played 8, i knew it was the best game i will EVER play, and there will no game to ever top it. When X came around, i was so excited.

First impressions of X were actually kinda disapointing, i mean, i probably built it up too much after all. But, as the game progessed i became engrossed in the story, and i ended up loving the game. Not in the same esteem as 8, but i still loved it.

TRANS_AM409
07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Its probably second best final fantasy game behind 7 my fav but when i got it for christmas i poped it in i was freakin amazed by the graphics it was like a movie almost.

4evarisha
07-26-2006, 06:56 PM
My first impression was Tidus and Rikku:)and Lulu's magic and her and her dolls and tidus and rikku weapon:)and the aeons:)

TRANS_AM409
07-26-2006, 08:38 PM
overall really good game slow story after you meet yuna for a little while but stll great game

cid highwind
07-26-2006, 08:41 PM
one of the best ff games ever if not the best

phoenix_noway
07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
final fantasy X is my third FF game i supposed
my first impression is "dude, sounds and voice acting really makes a difference!"
well gotta say the japanese trailer had drew my attention already although i had no idea what it was saying but the excitment had kept me high. until the english verison came out it was totally cool. i guess it had the best music and vocal ever because it;s the first FF game had voice actor, which made the story, no matter the intro and ending can have more space to explore. the past FFs had a limited story on FMVs because there aint no conversation. as a result the voice acting had outstanded the game which brought them some extra points.

Zeromus_X
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I believe it's a very good game, with one of the best (if not the best and most original) story of all the FFs, with a teary ending to boot. I've even known friends who aren't into FFs or RPGs in general, and have played this and enjoyed it, it must be doing something right. I've played it awhile, but it hasn't really caught my interest to play it over again, other than to re-see the ending. An NSG challenge with Darkkefka's videos as a guide may change that, however...

And, you know, Auron.

Edit: Surprisingly, Tida's VA doesn't annoy me that much anymore. Lunar must be rejoicing.

mega_tonberry
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
My first impression was Tidus and Rikku:)and Lulu's magic and her and her dolls and tidus and rikku weapon:)and the aeons:)
Hmm...this was an interesting post.

Anyway, like Rocket Edge, I built up to much hype around it and was pretty disappointed in the beginning. I mean, I was still amazed at the quality and the capabilities of the PS2. However, as I continued to play it, I became deeply immersed and engrossed in it. Like, on the level of forgetting to eat and sleep. I still feel the story is inferior when compared to some of the other games (and I abhor Tidus' VA above anything else), but despite these setbacks, I still view it as my favorite FF.

Kain911
07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
I thought this game wasnt very good because I had been into Final Fantasy V, VI, and VII. I never got to play VIII because Gamestop freakin sucks monkey balls and the discs were all scratched up.

I had only gotten to the part with the Sinspawn Gui and could not get to beat that monster. But once I finished the other games I was working on, including SCCT:mog: , I started to play X again. I went through the story again thinking it was awesome and what not but i thought it was a hard game because of how you leveled up with the sphere grid and what not, so i could not get anywhere because i sucked.

The first time i played I thought the graphics and music and the voice acting was great but i thought the sphere grid sucked and got past the easy parts up until the al bhed and there i idea to kill sin by luring him there with the sinspawn, i could not pass that boss. So i started over later and i got to the mi'hen highroad and i could not get past that...so yet again i stopped, to play FF 1 and 2:D , So I started again after i had passed the seventh grade....tis i started threee days ago, and i understood the sphere grid this time and i got into the game and i got second level magic and what not and i slaughtered the sinspaw gui and what not and i really got into and loved the story i thought it was the best and the voice acting did add a lot to the game, i have not finished it yet i am just not on the thunder plains, about to exit, at the last save sphere on the plains and i just love the game, i have to go to church camp tomorrow morning but as soon as i get back i wont stop until i have beat the game 100% with all of the legendary weapons and sigils and jecht spheres and what not. Everything and anything and all fiends shall fall before me or be captured....lol :mog:

Peace out,
Kain911

ChibiKadaj
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Since I was already a big fan of Final Fantasy. At first I thought it wasn't going to be that good. Since FFVIII was the first one I played and it is still my favorite. I was really impressed with the graphics and I thought it was wonderful to actually here the damn voices. The story line is wonderful and It was alittle confusing until I read more about it. So I know the full story and I think it is great for everyone to play FFX-2 if they want to know more about X.

DynasticJam
07-31-2006, 11:46 AM
My first impressions of Final Fantasy X? Amazing, simply amazing. At the time, I had only played a few Final Fantasy games, but this was by far my favorite. I was quite new to Final Fantasy so I hadn't really completed any of them before, but when I played on Final Fantasy X, it persuaded me to buy some of the previous Final Fantasy games.

Even today, Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game. Although it may be quite dated and the graphics may not be up to scratch, but that doesn't matter to me, because I love playing Final Fantasy X, it's just great!