PDA

View Full Version : PC versions?

FireFlameJade
07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I have just finished playing my first final fantasy game (FFVIII) and I really enjoyed it... so I'm looking for another one to play!
The problem is, I only have a PC on which to play them and the only ones I seem to be able to find with PC versions are VII, VIII and XI. Are there any others I've missed, or does anyone know of any plans to remake other ones for PC? I've heard that X is one of the best and so wondered about playing that next, but if there's no PC version then I'm a bit stuck really.
:confused:
So, what I'm really asking for is some advice- what FFs are available for PCs? Which are the best to play? Is it really worth me forking out a lot of money for a playstation and can playstations even be hooked up to a computer screen? (I've never played on one so have no clue...)

Thanks in advance,
Jade.

Dreddz
07-23-2006, 08:40 PM
You can emulate the first 6 easily, IX is a little harder as your emulating a PSX game, and the PSX emulate is one of the most fiddley pieces of crap on the net. Oh, and dont get me started on emulating X.
Still, the first six should be easy enough, play those first....

FireFlameJade
07-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry- what is emulating? I'm guessing something to do with converting the format from PS to PC but I'm not sure...

Jade

Tavrobel
07-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Emulating has to do with taking the image (not a picture, but rather, the game information) from a game, and using it in conjunction with a program that mimics the coding of a game system. Essentially, this means you can play any game that goes onto a cartridge, on your computer, as long as you download the ROM, or the eqiuvalent of a game in coded form.

ROM = game;
Emulator = System;
both are on the PC and available for download

The first six can be emulated (there are sites where you can download both ROMs and Emulators, but since they are mostly illegal without you having a legitimate copy of the game, I will not mention them here). VII and VIII can be played with their PC versions. IX can be emulated, but it is of poor and terrible quality, and time consuming, and probably costs more than getting a new PS2.

However, FFX does require that you have a PS2; there is NO WAY TO PLAY FFX ON THE COMPUTER.

FFXI is on the computer, but it is an MMORPG (think World of Warcraft, but nowhere near as cool, or think of Everquest II, except, better).

FireFlameJade
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Darn it, so basically if I want to play a decent quality game of the latest ones I've got to get a PS2?

Oh well, thank you both for your input, I'm grateful!
Jade

EDIT- sorry, but can anyone tell me if I have to use a TV with a PS2, or can it be connected to a computer for the screen?

Tavrobel
07-23-2006, 11:28 PM
It depends on the type of computer screen. Assuming that you DON'T have one of those really cool ones where you can get basic cable, and folds up to the size of a pocketbook, then yes, you'll need an actual TV screen; or at least a converter for the nodes where the red, yellow, and white knobs go.

You need an actual TV.

FireFlameJade
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Nope, I've just got a generic computer with no TV capabilities.
Oh well, thanks again for your help

Jade.

IceAngel
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey, about the TV/Computer screen thing. I managed to attach my playstation to the pc but.. I have no sound. Where do you think I should plug the sound lead? does it have to go into the speakers?

FireFlameJade
07-25-2006, 06:01 PM
You have? So it can be done (to some extent at least). That's good to know. Would you be able to tell me how- what leads you've plugged in where and so forth?

I would assume that the sound would go through the speakers, but I really have no clue!
Jade

IceAngel
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmm, I will have a look hold on. It's not connected so I have to work it out again. Hold on! I think I put it in three slots. They are coloured but not yellow red and white. They are green, pink, blue, yellow and black. I can't remember where I put them. I think I just fiddled.

EDIT: Well I have a program on this computer called Max TV and I still cant get any sound because there is no other plugs in the back of my speakers. Anyway, There is a slot at the back of the computer that is yellow. You can plug the yellow plug in thing (you know with the 3 colours) into that yellow whole. If you have WinDVR or CyberLink Power VCRII aparently they work too. I hope that helps...If not I will try and find another way.