PDA

View Full Version : PC Games V.S. Console Games

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-24-2006, 04:28 AM
Which type of video game do you prefer a pc video game or a console video game? I prefer console video games because I don't know about you guys but I recently bought a pc game and it's fucking slow!:mad: It might have something to do with my computer...I don't know. Besides can you play classic Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog video games on your computer? NO! Even if you could play those games on your computer I'd bet the pc versions would probaby suck if you compared those to the console versions.

I Took the Red Pill
07-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Besides can you play classic Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog video games on your computer? NO! Even if you could play those games on your computer I'd bet the pc versions would probaby suck if you compared those to the console versions. Actually yes, the emulations are spot-on remakes of the originals. And it depends on the game, both platforms have games the other one doesn't. Overall I like most PC games better.

fantasyjunkie
07-24-2006, 05:45 AM
I play and enjoy both so I didn't vote

Yuffie514
07-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Console...the originals and i don't play any console game on pc. besides, everything else is easier when i have the controllers in my hand.

PC...it only came as far as Final Fantasy XI and then turned a dead end. Final Fantasy XI was a great game, but i never enjoyed anything else after that.

Emulation...VBA Advance = make a mistake and press F1 to start on the last save, xD. that is the only "cheat" thing i do.

Zante
07-24-2006, 09:32 AM
PC wins hands down. It has more customization, usualy better saving options and a lot of PC games are moddable, there is multiplayer, etc... Only thing better about consoles is that games are quaranteed to run on em, while the PC needs to be constantly upgraded to run never games without problems.

Roto13
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
I never play PC games. I'm yet to find one I like that I can't find on a consoles. Plus, I don't want to buy a new video card every few months.

bipper
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I never play PC games. I'm yet to find one I like that I can't find on a consoles. Plus, I don't want to buy a new video card every few months.

I spent 200 bucks on my card 5 years ago. I just replaced it with a 100 dollar card. My old card still handled ovlivion no problem If nothing else, I dont want to be stuck with the same /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty hardware for five years!

PC all teh way.

Bipper

Dark_Mage_Palom
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Consoles are nice becuase you know all software for it will work and at optimized quality but as time goes by the Console show there age unlike PC's that are always upgraded with the newest graphics

overall I prefer PC gaming
because of all the more options and customization you can do

Consoles are geting more around to doing this but will never go the whole way why, because then it would be a PC:tongue:

KentaRawr!
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I prefer console video games, but I always find myself playing them on my computer. :rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
They shouldn't be placed in competition, because they're two sides of the same coin. Both methods of playing have merits and downfalls. With consoles the only compatability worries are with region coding, whereas it can be a nightmare to get things working on the PC. You don't have to keep a console's hardware updated either, you just get a new console every few years.

But console games have far less versatility and customization. You simply don't get mods for consoles, and as a long-time player of Morrowind on both PC and X-Box I can tell you that can be a pretty big difference. Both have their strengths in terms of games as well, of course - western RPGs tend to be on the PC, whilst eastern RPGs on consoles, and both have their own peculiarities and reasons for being fun.

Actually yes, the emulations are spot-on remakes of the originals.

Not quite - the emulations are the originals, not remakes. It's the exact same code which ran on your SNES which now runs on GENS. The only changes are to actually allow it to run, but that stuff comes through GENS rather than the game code itself IIRC.

Edit for clarity: I mean ZSNES, not GENS.

KentaRawr!
07-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Not quite - the emulations are the originals, not remakes. It's the exact same code which ran on your SNES which now runs on GENS. The only changes are to actually allow it to run, but that stuff comes through GENS rather than the game code itself IIRC.

Isn't GENS a Genesis emulator? :confused:

Dreddz
07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Console gaming is superior, there lots of games that are near impossible to play on a PC. In fact, I'd only say FPS's are worth playing on a PC.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Besides can you play classic Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog video games on your computer? NO!
yea u can

Yamaneko
07-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I really do enjoy both. PCs have superior multiplayer options because of dedicated servers and superior FPS controls. No matter what anyone says, mouse and keyboard will own over a controller in a FPS/RTS and to a certain extend an MMO. Many PC games are customizable. If I had a top-of-the-line rig, I would have bought Oblivion for it instead of for the 360. There are mnay mods I would like to play. That's one thing I enjoy about Source on the PC. While HL2 is out for Xbox, the PC version is 100x better because you have a wealth of mods to choose from.

Speaking of HL2 on Xbox though, I have to say that console developers are (Valve being both a PC and console developer) less lazy than PC developers. At the time of it's release, I had a very good gaming rig and I had many problems running HL2. Looping sound, BSOD, etc. Valve was able to port HL2 to the four year old Xbox console without much loss in quality. This goes to show you that developers tend to push console hardware more than PC hardware because they know with PC hardware people will be forced to upgrade.

Probably, though, the biggest advantage of console gaming over PC gaming is that it's comfortable. It's enjoyable to sit on the couch and do a six hour gaming marathon, while it's not so enjoyable to do that hunched in front of a PC.

Each has its advantages and I believe that each can exist quite well together.

Mirage
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Console gaming is superior, there lots of games that are near impossible to play on a PC. In fact, I'd only say FPS's are worth playing on a PC.
RTS and MMORPG too :D.

Shoeberto
07-24-2006, 05:37 PM
RTS, MMO, RPG, FPS, as well as a wealth of emulation options. Generally, I get more into PC gaming. I giggle at the idea of people having "LAN parties" with their Xboxes. Ha! Newbies :|

I still get a kick out of console games, but I just don't feel like I'm really getting into them like I do PC games. Probably because I play console games from four feet away on a 13" screen whereas PC games I'm a foot and a half away on a widescreen ;o

Yamaneko
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
RPGs can work well on both control styles, I think.

DeathKnight
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
PC characters look like manikins(sp?). :barf: and I DO NOT want to play with a keyboard :irked:

Setzer Gabianni
07-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Mannequins? I prefer console gaming, I can relax more when playing consold games, I use my PC for writing and the internet.

~Setzer Gabbiani

Shiny
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I play both PC and console games, but I think playing on the console is better, because games take up too much space on my PC.

Samuraid
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
PC wins hands down. It has more customization, usualy better saving options and a lot of PC games are moddable, there is multiplayer, etc... Only thing better about consoles is that games are quaranteed to run on em, while the PC needs to be constantly upgraded to run never games without problems.

Madame Adequate
07-24-2006, 11:57 PM

Isn't GENS a Genesis emulator? :confused:

Yes, it is. I meant ZSNES. xD

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Now that I think about it I did see a pc version of the first Super Mario Bros. video game...But it SUCKED I mean it had no music, no sound effects, and no timer.*Sigh*:rolleyes2 LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME!!!:mad:

XxSephirothxX
07-25-2006, 05:08 AM
PC is the superior format in that it's moddable, upgradable, etc. But I enjoy everything about console gaming far more than PC gaming with the exception of real-time strategy gameplay, which doesn't work as well without a mouse. The feel of the controller, not sitting at a desk or in front of a computer monitor, the ease of gaming with friends and the guarantee that a console will play anything out for it for a good 5 years...it's a better experience all-around.

Rase
07-25-2006, 05:40 AM
If I had to choose, I'd have to say PC. At the moment, the only console games I'm regularly playing are FFVI and Super Smash Bros. Melee, yet there are at least 5 games that I spend much more time on for my PC. Also, the PC is the place to play FPS's and RTS's, two of my favorite gaming genres. For me, consoles tend to get good games that don't get ported to the PC (usually first-party software) and certain games that wouldn't control well.

PC characters look like manikins(sp?). :barf: and I DO NOT want to play with a keyboard :irked:
Yeah, I mean, look at all the mannequins in this (http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/ve3d/image/article/629/629882/call-of-duty-2-pc-screenshots-20050629033205906.jpg) picture, for example. :rolleyes2

NorthernChaosGod
07-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Console gaming. You never need to worry about upgrading and a controller is alot more comfortable than a keyboard. :cool:

Nominus Experse
07-25-2006, 06:00 AM
If I want options, power, mutlit-tasking, and so on, than I choose the PC. If I wish to sit on the couch and enjoy a game in that fashion, not having to think about anything other than the ON/OFF button and the game's mechanics, than I will choose a console. Truly, I enjoy both of them just the same, so it's really quite difficult to differentiate between the two. It seems that many, many more games are on PC than consoles, even with a grower number of them, and really, one of my favorite types of games, RTS, is hardly ever found on consoles, and if it is, it is difficult to use due to the fashion of the controller input.

Reine
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I have grown to dislike PC games.

Not only are PCs unstable compared to consoles, crashing and what not, but they require you to sit in an uncomfortable computer chair at a desk. The fact your sitting so close to the screen makes you get tired easily, and using the mouse or keyboard for long periods of time ends up hurting my hands. Also PC games dont really have that addiction level that console games do, and only RTS and FPS games are good on the PC it seems, as action games are impossible on a keyboard, and alot of action games on the PC dont allow the use of a controller. I also cant play FPS games with a keyboard, as again, my hands get sore, and theres too many extraneous buttons and functions. Annoyingly, C&C Renegade had no controller support, hence why I really struggled with that game and never got past this one mission.

With console games, I can easily get into them and stay addicted for ages, the controllers are comfortable, I can lie on my bed, even play while im in it, and because im not so close to the screen, its a lot easier on the eyes. Plus, console games dont tend to crash as much as PCs do, and its only a few select times when a game crashes (usually when im hoping for it NOT to crash)

I love being able to modify PC games and create my own campaigns and levels and stuff, but console games are the ones that I love the most.

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
PC games have always been better, because they've always been more technologically advanced. Yes, the Xbox360 is certainly good, and Call of Duty 2's graphics will confirm that, but it can look just as good on a PC, if not better.
A year ago, the differences were immense, but thanks to the new consoles coming out, it's a much closer race. But in a couple of years, the PC will be back on forum, and better than the consoles by a long shot. This is because technology for the consoles is static. You couldn't suddenly implement HDR into a PS2, you would have to wait until the next Playstation came out. With PC's, yes, you might have to upgrade, but you are still keeping the same base, and you don't have to wait for five years for the next huge advancements, because they're already there.
Online is a lot bigger as far as the PC is concerned. There's more clans, more tournaments, and more mods. It is a heritage that stems from before Half Life, but really hit off with it.
The line is certainly being blurred, but so is the costs that you have to pay.
Let's put it this way. Crysis. The spiritual successor to Far Cry. That is coming out either this year's Christmas, or early next year (I can't exactly remember), and that looks better than Killzone 2 (which was just a tech demo anyway, as far as I am aware). Falling trees, massive environments, and a non-linear approach to things.
The biggest crime, I feel, for consoles now, is that you have to have a TV to support them. This whole trend of 'gaming in your living room' stinks, because basically, it is saying that you need to buy a telly that is capable of 60Hz. Personally, I'm quite happy playing games on my telly of 50Hz, and I don't want that to change. Apparently Microsoft do.

JKTrix
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I have to say console. PC games do offer a greater variety of options and customization which is great, but not everyone is going to have the same specs. The same game will look different on different machines. However with consoles, the same game looks the same everywhere, which means everyone gets the same experience and the same handicaps that comes with the control (like in FPSes). Getting a console is overall cheaper than keeping your PC good enough to play the latest games.

JaytodaP
07-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I love console games a lot better. I really dont feel like updating my PC every time I want a game for it. It costs way too much money and my computer needs to be used for writing, making projects etc. I recently bought Halo and I was pissed because I dont have the minimum graphic requirements and whatnot. It still allows me to play it and very smoothly too. Nothing beats a controller and a big screen though. And, I only have to update my console every 4 or so years so thats plenty of time to save up. But Xbox 360 is just as good as a PC since I go to wall mart and see the exact same games for both.

My friend is nuts. He built his own computer and has all this space for games. He has the most updated graphics cards and Its rigged up to his TV some how. He also tweaks his Xbox 360 so Oblivion doesnt have that horrible lag

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
I love console games a lot better. I really dont feel like updating my PC every time I want a game for it. It costs way too much moneySorry? What on Earth are you on about? If you get a decent PC, you don't have to update it for at least three years.

DeathKnight
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
I have to say console. PC games do offer a greater variety of options and customization which is great, but not everyone is going to have the same specs. The same game will look different on different machines. However with consoles, the same game looks the same everywhere, which means everyone gets the same experience and the same handicaps that comes with the control (like in FPSes). Getting a console is overall cheaper than keeping your PC good enough to play the latest games.

Close this poll, this answer CANNOT be challenged

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Close this poll, this answer CANNOT be challengedActually it can.

And here we go.

What, exactly, is your point about not everyone having the same specs? Basically, I surmise that you are saying that because the graphics on consoles all look the same, they somehow are better than PC graphics, which have a huge range. That, apparently, means that the graphics on Black are better than the graphics on HL2: Episode 1, running full anti-aliasing and with HDR ramped up. It really isn't. I've never before encountered this Communist look at gaming (Ie everything the same), but neither is it true. You can get different controllers for your games console, and also you can upgrade the animations by using the 60hz mode, which not everyone has. That's really unfair! Ha!
Also: You pay fifty quid for a Xbox360 game right? 30 quid for a PC game. Over a period of three years, buying one game a month, I'm pretty sure that the cost for the console will over-lap the cost for the PC.

DeathKnight
07-25-2006, 06:57 PM

And here we go.

What, exactly, is your point about not everyone having the same specs? Basically, I surmise that you are saying that because the graphics on consoles all look the same, they somehow are better than PC graphics, which have a huge range. That, apparently, means that the graphics on Black are better than the graphics on HL2: Episode 1, running full anti-aliasing and with HDR ramped up. It really isn't. I've never before encountered this Communist look at gaming (Ie everything the same), but neither is it true. You can get different controllers for your games console, and also you can upgrade the animations by using the 60hz mode, which not everyone has. That's really unfair! Ha!
Also: You pay fifty quid for a Xbox360 game right? 30 quid for a PC game. Over a period of three years, buying one game a month, I'm pretty sure that the cost for the console will over-lap the cost for the PC.

I don't own a 360 nor do I want to.

and what 60Hz mode are you talking 'bout?

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 07:02 PM

And here we go.

I don't own a 360 nor do I want to.

and what 60Hz mode are you talking 'bout?It's to do with televisions. Some televisions have a 60hz mode (presumably it's been succeeded by HD) and you can use that, it gives smoother animations or something. But with Oblivion (and I think it applies to other Xbox360 games as well), you need to have a telly capable of it. I have my console (a PS2) in my bedroom, and so I have a standard small telly, which doesn't support 60hz, thus I lose out if I did want to play Oblivion on a console.

JKTrix
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
I think the 60hz mode may be PAL specific, but I'm probably wrong. I haven't heard of this before.
I never mentioned that console games will look better than PC games, that would be idiotic. PC games always had the potential to look better than any console game ever could. What I'm saying is that the 'lowest common denominator' is continually rising for a PC, while a console version generally stays the same across the board.
It's changing slightly now that the 'HD era' is here, where the game's visual quality will be different depending on your monitor, but it's still mostly the same. Traditionally, by getting a console you were guaranteed to have your game look exactly like someone else who bought the same game for the same console. There are past examples of console expansions to improve the graphics of games (N64's Expansion pak), but traditionally they stay the same.
To look at it from a 'Communist' view where everything is the same, consoles win out.
PCs can similarly be compared to capitalism: the rich get richer. If you have the funds to buy the required hardware as it is needed, your games will continue to look amazing. But if you can't keep up, you'll be stuck playing games with degenerate graphics.

As far as control is concerned, it's an optional purchase that doesn't affect the core game (except Steel Battalion). I'm an arcade stick junkie, and while I feel it does improve the control of the game it doesn't change how the game is presented.
PC upgrades are similarly optional, but they do affect the game. Sometimes it makes the difference between a pretty awesome game, or a pretty awesome slideshow.

Madame Adequate
07-25-2006, 07:54 PM
I love console games a lot better. I really dont feel like updating my PC every time I want a game for it. It costs way too much moneySorry? What on Earth are you on about? If you get a decent PC, you don't have to update it for at least three years.

Yes, but the amount of money you have to spend every three years itself outweighs the amount it costs to buy a new console, nevermind that those usually roll around on five year cycles. My PC needs an upgrade, but with the money spent sorting that all out to top-of-the-line gear, which is what I'd need to have a viable gaming PC for the next three years, I could get a 360 and a couple of games.

Yamaneko
07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
NTSC (North American/Central American/Japanese) is 60Hz with 525 lines per frame. PAL (European) is 50Hz with 625 lines per frame. PAL transmissions are 50Hz interlaced, meaning 25fps. PAL also auto corrects color errors, unlike NTSC which leaves that up to the TV user. Newer PAL sets have higher refresh rates so the flickering is almost a non-issue. Regardless, the differences between PAL and NTSC are not as big as the differences seen in monitors which must have picture drawn on them by varying external video solutions. All 360's and all PS3's will have the same kind of GPU.

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, but the amount of money you have to spend every three years itself outweighs the amount it costs to buy a new console, nevermind that those usually roll around on five year cycles. My PC needs an upgrade, but with the money spent sorting that all out to top-of-the-line gear, which is what I'd need to have a viable gaming PC for the next three years, I could get a 360 and a couple of games.
Not if you consider the cost of games. PC games are normally 30 quid, and they are normally longer than console games (take the Total War series for example, or an MMO like WoW). Consider you have a PC for three years (you can get away with five if you don't mind average graphics for the last couple). You buy a game once a month. 50 quid for an Xbox360 game, right? 20 quid difference a month. over three years, that's 720 quid difference.

DeathKnight
07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Not if you consider the cost of games. PC games are normally 30 quid, and they are normally longer than console games (take the Total War series for example, or an MMO like WoW). Consider you have a PC for three years (you can get away with five if you don't mind average graphics for the last couple). You buy a game once a month. 50 quid for an Xbox360 game, right? 20 quid difference a month. over three years, that's 720 quid difference.

and all quid ps2 games don't cost 50/60, they're MOSTLY in the 35-60 range, and ALOT of them are in the 20-30 quid range. So?:rolleyes2

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, but the amount of money you have to spend every three years itself outweighs the amount it costs to buy a new console, nevermind that those usually roll around on five year cycles. My PC needs an upgrade, but with the money spent sorting that all out to top-of-the-line gear, which is what I'd need to have a viable gaming PC for the next three years, I could get a 360 and a couple of games. Not if you consider the cost of games. PC games are normally 30 quid, and they are normally longer than console games (take the Total War series for example, or an MMO like WoW). Consider you have a PC for three years (you can get away with five if you don't mind average graphics for the last couple). You buy a game once a month. 50 quid for an Xbox360 game, right? 20 quid difference a month. over three years, that's 720 quid difference.
and all quid ps2 games don't cost 50/60, they're MOSTLY in the 35-60 range, and ALOT of them are in the 20-30 quid range. So?:rolleyes2
I was referring to Xbox360. It is still more than a ten pounds difference when you consider a new PC game and a new PS2 game, and that's forgetting that PS3 games will cost 50 quid a shot.
Also: yes, you can get PS2 games for cheaper, at 20 pounds, but only if they are old. And you can get PC games for 5-10 quid as well, depending on their age.

DeathKnight
07-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes, but the amount of money you have to spend every three years itself outweighs the amount it costs to buy a new console, nevermind that those usually roll around on five year cycles. My PC needs an upgrade, but with the money spent sorting that all out to top-of-the-line gear, which is what I'd need to have a viable gaming PC for the next three years, I could get a 360 and a couple of games. Not if you consider the cost of games. PC games are normally 30 quid, and they are normally longer than console games (take the Total War series for example, or an MMO like WoW). Consider you have a PC for three years (you can get away with five if you don't mind average graphics for the last couple). You buy a game once a month. 50 quid for an Xbox360 game, right? 20 quid difference a month. over three years, that's 720 quid difference.
I was referring to Xbox360. It is still more than a ten pounds difference when you consider a new PC game and a new PS2 game, and that's forgetting that PS3 games will cost 50 quid a shot.
Also: yes, you can get PS2 games for cheaper, at 20 pounds, but only if they are old. And you can get PC games for 5-10 quid as well, depending on their age.

You wanna know why? Because 90% of PC games suck!:D I mean c'mon, what good game do they have? Hitman? and Sims? pfffft! Doesn't compete aganst Zelda/Metal Gear Solid/God Of War/Super Smash Bros./Mario/Street Fighter/Gran Turismo/Final Fanatasy

THAT'S why

Rase
07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
You wanna know why? Because 90% of PC games suck!:D I mean c'mon, what good game do they have?
Off the top of my head: Every good RTS (Age of Empires series, Warcraft series, Starcraft series), good FPS's (Call of Duty series, Half-Life series, Battlefield series), excellent games like Worms Armeggedon, the Thief series, the Civilization series... do you want me to continue?

PC's and consoles both have their share of games that, depending on your tastes, you may like or dislike. But to pretend that 90% of PC games (or console games, for that matter) flat-out suck is simply ridiculous. Even if you don't like something, you should still be able to admit that it is good, if in fact it is. I personally don't like Street Fighter because I just don't find it fun, but I can see and admit it's a good game, just not one for me.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 03:02 AM
You wanna know why? Because 90% of PC games suck!:D I mean c'mon, what good game do they have?
Off the top of my head: Every good RTS (Age of Empires series, Warcraft series, Starcraft series), good FPS's (Call of Duty series, Half-Life series, Battlefield series), excellent games like Worms Armeggedon, the Thief series, the Civilization series... do you want me to continue?

PC's and consoles both have their share of games that, depending on your tastes, you may like or dislike. But to pretend that 90% of PC games (or console games, for that matter) flat-out suck is simply ridiculous. Even if you don't like something, you should still be able to admit that it is good, if in fact it is. I personally don't like Street Fighter because I just don't find it fun, but I can see and admit it's a good game, just not one for me.

Ok and I agree. I exaggerated with the 90%. What I really meant was that the AMOUNT of GREAT games consoles have overwhelm the amount of great PC games, that's just the reality. Oh and let's not speak 'bout VARIETY.

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
You wanna know why? Because 90% of PC games suck!:D I mean c'mon, what good game do they have? Off the top of my head: Every good RTS (Age of Empires series, Warcraft series, Starcraft series), good FPS's (Call of Duty series, Half-Life series, Battlefield series), excellent games like Worms Armeggedon, the Thief series, the Civilization series... do you want me to continue?

Ok and I agree. I exaggerated with the 90%. What I really meant was that the AMOUNT of GREAT games consoles have overwhelm the amount of great PC games, that's just the reality. Oh and let's not speak 'bout VARIETY.Ford Racing didn't come out on the PC.
You are exaggerating and talking about a subject you know very little about. I used to be an avid console player, until I got a PC and started playing games on it, which were excellent.
It is telling that the console market is now buying out PC franchises, like Call of Duty, The Sims (Microsoft even tried to get WoW), FEAR, Half Life, Broken Sword, Battle for Middle Earth, Total War, Battlefield... the list goes on.
Let's not talk about variety? Why, exactly? Is it because consoles have very little of it? They don't have Spore, they don't have Black and White, they don't have Darwinia, they don't have all these new experiences. They're either sequels, movie tie-ins, or crap ideas. Yes, there's some good ones that come out (God of War and Shadow of the Collossus being the best recent examples), but really, having a look at the Xbox360 games, you can't see a genuine next-gen title at all. The Wii might change this, but it's probably going to be more of a novelty than anything else.
The good games to bad games ratio is a matter of opinion, and really pointless to argue about, because it's such a big argument, that we could go on about it for ages. Personally, I'd rather boot up my copy of Dawn of War, kill a few orcs, move onto R:TW, conquer the lands of [insert country here], and then do a few quests in Azeroth.

Zelda/Metal Gear Solid/God Of War/Super Smash Bros./Mario/Street Fighter/Gran Turismo/Final Fanatasy
Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2.
Oh, by the way, what can compete with: Rome Total War/Dawn of War/World of Warcraft/Half Life 2 Episode 1/ Counter Strike Source/Civilization 4/ Battlefield 2/ Rise of Nations/Monkey Island/Warcraft 3/Planetside/Planescape, and all those other games worthy of note?

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 03:35 PM
90% crappy games for PC isn't entirely inaccurate. There are tons and tons of games that you never hear about.

Consoles will never compare to PCs in terms of variety, simply because PCs have the potential for infinite expansion and modification. People can sit in their bedrooms and make games. The 'great games' for PCs outnumber the 'Great Games' for consoles, simply because there are much more of them (in terms of history).
You hear a lot more about the passable console games because consoles are more mainstream than PC gaming is. You see the ads on TV because the people who will buy them will play them on a TV. I don't see a lot of PC games advertised on TV, because the people are not watching TV to play it. It's about the target audience.

If this poll were to suggest that you were someone with an endless supply of money, then PC would win--no contest. But for the more realistic "lowest common denominator" population, a console would serve them better.

Consoles will have Spore, btw (even the DS)

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 04:41 PM
90% crappy games for PC isn't entirely inaccurate. There are tons and tons of games that you never hear about.

Consoles will never compare to PCs in terms of variety, simply because PCs have the potential for infinite expansion and modification. People can sit in their bedrooms and make games. The 'great games' for PCs outnumber the 'Great Games' for consoles, simply because there are much more of them (in terms of history).
You hear a lot more about the passable console games because consoles are more mainstream than PC gaming is. You see the ads on TV because the people who will buy them will play them on a TV. I don't see a lot of PC games advertised on TV, because the people are not watching TV to play it. It's about the target audience.

If this poll were to suggest that you were someone with an endless supply of money, then PC would win--no contest. But for the more realistic "lowest common denominator" population, a console would serve them better.

Consoles will have Spore, btw (even the DS)Link, possibly?

Even if it is true, I really can't see myself using a PS3 controller to mould a creature together, and it is likely you will be required to have an Internet connection to play.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 04:49 PM
You wanna know why? Because 90% of PC games suck!:D I mean c'mon, what good game do they have? Off the top of my head: Every good RTS (Age of Empires series, Warcraft series, Starcraft series), good FPS's (Call of Duty series, Half-Life series, Battlefield series), excellent games like Worms Armeggedon, the Thief series, the Civilization series... do you want me to continue?

Ok and I agree. I exaggerated with the 90%. What I really meant was that the AMOUNT of GREAT games consoles have overwhelm the amount of great PC games, that's just the reality. Oh and let's not speak 'bout VARIETY.Ford Racing didn't come out on the PC.
You are exaggerating and talking about a subject you know very little about. I used to be an avid console player, until I got a PC and started playing games on it, which were excellent.
It is telling that the console market is now buying out PC franchises, like Call of Duty, The Sims (Microsoft even tried to get WoW), FEAR, Half Life, Broken Sword, Battle for Middle Earth, Total War, Battlefield... the list goes on.
Let's not talk about variety? Why, exactly? Is it because consoles have very little of it? They don't have Spore, they don't have Black and White, they don't have Darwinia, they don't have all these new experiences. They're either sequels, movie tie-ins, or crap ideas. Yes, there's some good ones that come out (God of War and Shadow of the Collossus being the best recent examples), but really, having a look at the Xbox360 games, you can't see a genuine next-gen title at all. The Wii might change this, but it's probably going to be more of a novelty than anything else.
The good games to bad games ratio is a matter of opinion, and really pointless to argue about, because it's such a big argument, that we could go on about it for ages. Personally, I'd rather boot up my copy of Dawn of War, kill a few orcs, move onto R:TW, conquer the lands of [insert country here], and then do a few quests in Azeroth.

Zelda/Metal Gear Solid/God Of War/Super Smash Bros./Mario/Street Fighter/Gran Turismo/Final Fanatasy
Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2.
Oh, by the way, what can compete with: Rome Total War/Dawn of War/World of Warcraft/Half Life 2 Episode 1/ Counter Strike Source/Civilization 4/ Battlefield 2/ Rise of Nations/Monkey Island/Warcraft 3/Planetside/Planescape, and all those other games worthy of note?

Man! what the heck are you talking 'bout???? PC games OVERALL are not better than console games pure and simple.

All you pointed out did not tell mehow PC games can be better than console games. :nonono:

I Took the Red Pill
07-26-2006, 05:05 PM
This is becoming an argument of what you two like better, so there really isn't going to be a winner in this argument. Both platforms have their fair share of gold and their fair share of crap, there's no way of getting around it.

Ashley Schovitz
07-26-2006, 05:09 PM
PC is too complicated so I go with Console and they charge you for online games which is a crime.

Tavrobel
07-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Deathknight fails.

I usually play more multiplayer games online (WCIII for instance with Samuraid). Just having someone else playing, even if not physically is always more fun in my opinion. More customizing, more options, and games are often better, not that games on the PC are made quite as often. Even with MMORPGs, RTSes, there's always room for both the hardcore players (in D2, there's a game mode CALLEd hardcore), and the casual players who just do some random 5 man instance with a few friends, just to get away from life. Many PC games also have greater longevity, despite the sizable fee for both the game, and internet time. (Starcraft, anyone? I still play it frequently, despite it being AT LEAST 10 years since the beta version; you don't get that with consoles, unless they are meant to be multiplayer, like Mario Kart 64, or Goldeneye64, although MMOs could be said to be almost completely hardcore by sane people's standards)

While you have the option of PC, there's console games. The great thing about consoles is that you can play on this hugeass screen TV, and you don't have quite as many problems as the PC with crashing and viruses (although the PC will automatically win because of porn). Games are especially tailored on the consoles, both in regards to audience, and gameplay availability (which is both a drawback and an immensely good thing), while the PC games have to cater to the fact that there are going to be problems, even if it's not a fault of the programmers themselves. Plus, with PC games, you often have to deal with patches (dial-up-kill-ftw) more often than consoles. And lag. Lag. Lag. For the most part, if you get a nice TV screen, it'll be the ONLY reason why you play anything at all.

All in all, I prefer PC games, because there's not just one thing to do on a computer. Sure the screen will be a bitch, but once you know where everything is (which is easier on a PC anyways), the factor of being utterly confused shouldn't be a problem. Although sometimes, a game's plot will suffer on a PC game for some odd unknown reason that I have yet to understand exactly why.

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Zelda/Metal Gear Solid/God Of War/Super Smash Bros./Mario/Street Fighter/Gran Turismo/Final Fanatasy Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2.
Man! what the heck are you talking 'bout???? PC games OVERALL are not better than console games pure and simple.

All you pointed out did not tell mehow PC games can be better than console games. :nonono:
It's quite easy to comprehend what I am talking about. You state your opinion like a fact. 'Plain and simple.' Ha. Don't make me puke my guts out.
You gave me a list of good console games. I give a list of their PC counterparts, all of which (with the exception of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy) were better than the console ones.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 05:28 PM

Zelda/Metal Gear Solid/God Of War/Super Smash Bros./Mario/Street Fighter/Gran Turismo/Final Fanatasy Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2.

It's quite easy to comprehend what I am talking about. You state your opinion like a fact. 'Plain and simple.' Ha. Don't make me puke my guts out.
You gave me a list of good console games. I give a list of their PC counterparts, all of which (with the exception of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy) were better than the console ones.

BETTER??????????????????????

You've GOTTA be kidding me :laugh: man oh man.

Anyway, to Trabovel:

What can be more fun than Super Smash Bros. Brawl online????? NOTHING that's what.

Believe me, consoles are gonna step all over PCs all over again in this next generation(not graphically, but stratigically and qualitically hehe =D ).

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 05:34 PM
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/707976p1.html

GameSpy: Still PC only?

[Will Wright]: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff.
That was just FYI, not exactly part of the debate.

The fact is, PC games have a larger number of high quality games that consoles do. They've been around longer, so they have the history going for them. Games designed for PCs are generally much better on PCs. Games designed for consoles are generally much better on consoles (Halo PC kinda sucks).

--Edit

Guys, you're quoting huge loads of text over and over. My scroll wheel is dying!

A lot of the games that drunkymonkey mentioned are also on consoles, but I figured I wouldn't comment on that as it doesn't really move this debate forward. Let's try not to be hysterical about this debate.
No normal person has played Smash Bros Brawl (remember, Miyamoto is a God), so you really can't form an opinion on it. It's easy to imagine what it would be like if it's online, but you can't say it will be like that since it hasn't been experienced yet.
Despite the idea that "consoles stomped all over PCs", the PCs are still here. They go through their ups and downs, but they won't be 'stomped out' completely. There are things you can do on the PC that just don't work right on a console, like RTSes. It only seems like things might have 'died' for PC gaming because console gaming is so much more 'mainstream' and public. You hear "OMGWTF AERIS DIES" on forums a lot more than "Wow, anti-aliasing does wonders to Half-Life."

Deathknight, we understand your preference. But if you had access to a capable PC and were able to play the awesome games you'd be singing a different tune. I happen to come from both sides and have expressed my preference on this particular poll (consoles) based on generality (or communist, depending how you look at it :P).

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

What can be more fun than Super Smash Bros. Brawl online????? NOTHING that's what.
Believe me, consoles are gonna step all over PCs all over again in this next generation(not graphically, but stratigically and qualitically hehe =D ).
What an excellent comeback argument! I liked the way you used lots of unnecessary question marks, and then answered my post by avoiding the whole issue I presented you with! Top marks, a glorious career as a politician presents itself to you with open arms.

What can be more fun than Smash Bros Online? Lesse. Taking part in a forty man raid in WoW you kill a massive angry dragon, fighting against 20 bots with 4 people in Counter Strike: Source, naming yourselves famous political figures and fighting the good fight in Titan Quest at a LAN centre, and sending an orc army to crush the Imperial Guard in Dawn of War. Trust me, I've played these experiences, and they're golden, simply golden.
Also, do you have any actual proof that consoles are going to step all over Personal Computers? I remember people saying that about... 5 years ago. Can't quite remember why though.... oh yes... The PS2.

[Will Wright]: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff. That was just FYI, not exactly part of the debate.

The fact is, PC games have a larger number of high quality games that consoles do. They've been around longer, so they have the history going for them. Games designed for PCs are generally much better on PCs. Games designed for consoles are generally much better on consoles (Halo PC kinda sucks).I remember seeing that written about the Movies. But I suppose it's probably true, considering it's EA.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 05:55 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

What an excellent comeback argument! I liked the way you used lots of unnecessary question marks, and then answered my post by avoiding the whole issue I presented you with! Top marks, a glorious career as a politician presents itself to you with open arms.

What can be more fun than Smash Bros Online? Lesse. Taking part in a forty man raid in WoW you kill a massive angry dragon, fighting against 20 bots with 4 people in Counter Strike: Source, naming yourselves famous political figures and fighting the good fight in Titan Quest at a LAN centre, and sending an orc army to crush the Imperial Guard in Dawn of War. Trust me, I've played these experiences, and they're golden, simply golden.
Also, do you have any actual proof that consoles are going to step all over Personal Computers? I remember people saying that about... 5 years ago. Can't quite remember why though.... oh yes... The PS2.

[Will Wright]: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff. That was just FYI, not exactly part of the debate.

The fact is, PC games have a larger number of high quality games that consoles do. They've been around longer, so they have the history going for them. Games designed for PCs are generally much better on PCs. Games designed for consoles are generally much better on consoles (Halo PC kinda sucks).I remember seeing that written about the Movies. But I suppose it's probably true, considering it's EA.

PC may have variety but I don't see it in your post?........all the games you mention are war-related games which really get boring after a while(personally).

I'd still love to play Street Fighter online (with a GOOD controller) than any war/strategy game

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

Believe me, consoles are gonna step all over PCs all over again in this next generation(not graphically, but stratigically and qualitically hehe =D ). What an excellent comeback argument! I liked the way you used lots of unnecessary question marks, and then answered my post by avoiding the whole issue I presented you with! Top marks, a glorious career as a politician presents itself to you with open arms.

PC may have variety but I don't see it in your post?........all the games you mention are war-related games which really get boring after a while(personally).

I'd still love to play Street Fighter online (with a GOOD controller) than any war/strategy game

Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2. Those games were the ones I mentioned. None of them are war-related games.

Baldur's Gate: RPG, much like FF.
Thief: A game about being a Medieval Thief.
Max Payne 2: A game about shooting robbers and murderers.
Rag Doll Kung Fu: A game about ragdolls beating the crap out of each other.
Prince of Persia: a platform game.
GT Legends: A racing game.
Diablo 2: Another RPG.

Also: I congratulate you on loving Street Fighter Online, but I fail to see how that makes the entirety of consoles better. It's personal preference about one game.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

Believe me, consoles are gonna step all over PCs all over again in this next generation(not graphically, but stratigically and qualitically hehe =D ). What an excellent comeback argument! I liked the way you used lots of unnecessary question marks, and then answered my post by avoiding the whole issue I presented you with! Top marks, a glorious career as a politician presents itself to you with open arms.

Baldur's Gate/Thief/Max Payne 2/Rag Doll Kung Fu/Prince of Persia/GT Legends/Diablo 2. Those games were the ones I mentioned. None of them are war-related games.

Also: I congratulate you on loving Street Fighter Online, but I fail to see how that makes the entirety of consoles better. It's personal preference about one game.

is there a game like Mario Party there?

Is there a game like Super Smash Bros. or Street fighter?

Is THERE a game like Zelda?

A game like Final Fight?

PC fails man. It doesn't make people happy.

Just those people who like graphics and playing war-related games online

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

You ask me if there are beat 'em ups for the PC like you expect there to be. There isn't because PC games are normally played with the keyboard and mouse, the games are shaped around this fact.

But there are games like Zelda. Baldur's Gate 2 (the real one, not the crap console versions) is critically acclaimed by almost everybody but ignorant PC hateboys. And that, some people claim, surpasses Zelda, thanks to its variety, open endedness, and story.

It appears, by your list, that consoles are only for people that like playing beat 'em up.s I'm not a great fan. I quite like Tekken, but that's basically it as far as it goes. But I can see why people like them. They're good games, just I wouldn't buy them.

If PCs didn't make people happy, then the PC wouldn't have such a big market. It wouldn't have the biggest online gamers population. It wouldn't have one of the best selling games ever (Sims 2) in its ranks. It wouldn't constantly be stolen from by console developers (hello Doom 3, hello Half Life 2, hello Baldur's Gate, hello Everquest, hello Call of Duty, hello Spore, hello Max Payne, hello Far Cry, hello Battlefield, hello Battle for Middle Earth, hello The Sims, hello FEAR, etc etc....)

Your ignorant view points are hilarious. You say the PC is for those who only likes war games and graphics, even when I have already given you a complete list of games that have nothing at all to do with war.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 06:49 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

You ask me if there are beat 'em ups for the PC like you expect there to be. There isn't because PC games are normally played with the keyboard and mouse, the games are shaped around this fact.

But there are games like Zelda. Baldur's Gate 2 (the real one, not the crap console versions) is critically acclaimed by almost everybody but ignorant PC hateboys. And that, some people claim, surpasses Zelda, thanks to its variety, open endedness, and story.

It appears, by your list, that consoles are only for people that like playing beat 'em up.s I'm not a great fan. I quite like Tekken, but that's basically it as far as it goes. But I can see why people like them. They're good games, just I wouldn't buy them.

If PCs didn't make people happy, then the PC wouldn't have such a big market. It wouldn't have the biggest online gamers population. It wouldn't have one of the best selling games ever (Sims 2) in its ranks. It wouldn't constantly be stolen from by console developers (hello Doom 3, hello Half Life 2, hello Baldur's Gate, hello Everquest, hello Call of Duty, hello Spore, hello Max Payne, hello Far Cry, hello Battlefield, hello Battle for Middle Earth, hello The Sims, hello FEAR, etc etc....)

Your ignorant view points are hilarious. You say the PC is for those who only likes war games and graphics, even when I have already given you a complete list of games that have nothing at all to do with war.

Yes, but the best and most famous ones for PC are always war-related or shooting related or strategy related which falls in the war-realted genre(which I just made up :D). Anyway, those games like FEAR and Call of Duty, I don't like those games, nor do they sell well, 'cause console gamers are not into that stuff, so it's REALLY pointless for developers import these games into consoles.

I remember back around 1995 when Microsoft claimed that PCs were gonna run consoles out of the market :laugh:

funny

drunkymonkey
07-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

Just those people who like graphics and playing war-related games online You ask me if there are beat 'em ups for the PC like you expect there to be. There isn't because PC games are normally played with the keyboard and mouse, the games are shaped around this fact.

Yes, but the best and most famous ones for PC are always war-related or shooting related or strategy related which falls in the war-realted genre(which I just made up :D). Anyway, those games like FEAR and Call of Duty, I don't like those games, nor do they sell well, 'cause console gamers are not into that stuff, so it's REALLY pointless for developers import these games into consoles.

I remember back around 1995 when Microsoft claimed that PCs were gonna run consoles out of the market :laugh:

funny

Not true. Monkey Island is one of the most famous games, and that isn't war at all. Civilization 4 is another example. It has features of war in it, but you can play it perfectly peacefully, without having to go gun-ho. And in case you hadn't noticed, most games are about violence.

Onto your point about sales. It's rubbish. Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox360 got to number 1 in Britain, and is one of the most successful games on the console. Killzone did very well. Hang on... Halo did very well as well. These are war/shooting games, the ones you said gamers weren't interested in. Is that why self titled Halo beaters are still being made? As far as I can see, the beat 'em up market is failing, with less and less games of that genre coming out.

Also: Microsoft, in case you hadn't noticed, often lie. They are addicted to it. But that doesn't mean the PC is any less of a good games platform. Might spell something for the Xbox though...

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Call of Duty 2 is the best selling game on the Xbox 360. Fact. Call of Duty 3 is coming to all systems, and special effort is being made for the Wii. Fact. These games do sell--both on consoles and on PCs. You cannot generalize everything in the world based on your own opinion.

These 'War Games'--shooters and RTSes-- are the 'most popular' on the PC because they aren't really on any other system. They can advertise stuff like 'Prince of Persia for PC: Coming soon!', but no one cares because it's been on every other system for months.

And... have you heard of Emulation? Every console up until the outgoing generation has been succesfully emulated. You can download Final Fight, be it for the GBA, SNES, or the original Arcade version.

Please stop quoting the entire chain of posts :P

KentaRawr!
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
At this point, it seems like it's just two people saying one is better than the other, and calling it a "debate". :rolleyes2

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I agree with Kentarou, BUT the poll says it all :ty: nice seeing you.

PS: Call of Duty and Killzone sell on 360, why? PC gamers are LINKED to XBox and Microsoft in a BIG way.

Rase
07-26-2006, 07:24 PM
What does the poll say? That the people of a forum dedicated to a series that is almost exclusively on consoles tend to prefer consoles to PC's? Whoop-de-do. I fail to see how this proves anything significant.

PS: Call of Duty and Killzone sell on 360, why? PC gamers are LINKED to XBox and Microsoft in a BIG way.
Killzone a series that has a game on the PS2 and one for the PSP, and it will have one the PS3, not the 360. :rolleyes2

bipper
07-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

Just those people who like graphics and playing war-related games online You ask me if there are beat 'em ups for the PC like you expect there to be. There isn't because PC games are normally played with the keyboard and mouse, the games are shaped around this fact.

funny

Not true. Monkey Island is one of the most famous games, and that isn't war at all. Civilization 4 is another example. It has features of war in it, but you can play it perfectly peacefully, without having to go gun-ho. And in case you hadn't noticed, most games are about violence.

Onto your point about sales. It's rubbish. Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox360 got to number 1 in Britain, and is one of the most successful games on the console. Killzone did very well. Hang on... Halo did very well as well. These are war/shooting games, the ones you said gamers weren't interested in. Is that why self titled Halo beaters are still being made? As far as I can see, the beat 'em up market is failing, with less and less games of that genre coming out.

Also: Microsoft, in case you hadn't noticed, often lie. They are addicted to it. But that doesn't mean the PC is any less of a good games platform. Might spell something for the Xbox though...
QFTHoI

That is because all the people with PC games are using their pc to play awsomeness games! Not post on a forum about games!! If I was on an awsomenss gamer machine, I would be gone! :eek:

Seriously, PC's are better. They are just a multi-tooled console on steroids. In some situations, it is not always nessariy to use a BAZOOKA to do what a a super soaker can do.

Bipper

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

funny

QFTHoI

That is because all the people with PC games are using their pc to play awsomeness games! Not post on a forum about games!! If I was on an awsomenss gamer machine, I would be gone! :eek:

Seriously, PC's are better. They are just a multi-tooled console on steroids. In some situations, it is not always nessariy to use a BAZOOKA to do what a a super soaker can do.

Bipper

Seriously what have you proven? I still doj't get how PCs are better in any way.

what graphics?

like I said, consoles have ALOT of things going for them. Starting with the fact that you can play multi-player games with your WHOLE family(without having to buy 4 $3000 PCs just to play with them).

bipper
07-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

funny

QFTHoI

Bipper

Seriously what have you proven? I still doj't get how PCs are better in any way.

what graphics?

like I said, consoles have ALOT of things going for them. Starting with the fact that you can play multi-player games with your WHOLE family(without having to buy 4 $3000 PCs just to play with them).

PC's are like a customised Hot rod. Gaming consoles are just a manuafactured Metro. Either way, I have personally built a pc for
$400 that lasted 5 years of gaming. Hardly more expensive than a console, especially any more. If you are buying a prefab computer, you should not be expecting to play any games on em :)

As per the actual topic. PC games are just better, as they have more modability and developers often have a more current hardware scope to work with.

The end.

Bipper

Duncan
07-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, I tend to side with the PC as the platform of choice from the versatility standpoint, and whenever there is a game that is available on multiple platforms I will almost always go with the PC version (there are a few exceptions).

That being said, I still play quite a few games on consoles, the biggest choice seems to be control scheme. I cannot possibly see how one could play WOW on a console, without a keyboard mouse, and the control scheme for FPS's are much better on PC than console (even the PC version of Halo, I've played both). I think the Wii could potentially usher in a new era of FPS's with the potential to have the best control scheme of any system, however, that remains to be seen. RTS's also play better on the PC. Even with the lastest attempt for RTS on console, Battle for Middle Earth II on the 360, reviewer seem to prefer the PC controls over the 360 version.

On the console front, the eastern RPGs are obviously much better suited for consoles. Additionally, arcade-style games (the Mario style) are much better suited to a control over a keyboard-mouse, as well as the fighting games.

However, the fact is that if PC came standard with controllers or if consoles came standard with a keyboard and mouse, all the above arguements would go away.

Also, one genre that hasn't been mentioned that is stronger on the PC is the flight sim market, just a sidenote.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Rase
07-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Seriously what have you proven?
What have you?

Also, for the love of all that is good, stop quoting each other so much. It's not that hard to delete everything except the part you're addressing, and it's rather annoying to have to scroll through a bunch of quotes of posts that have nothing to do with what you're saying.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

funny

QFTHoI

Bipper

what graphics?

PC's are like a customised Hot rod. Gaming consoles are just a manuafactured Metro. Either way, I have personally built a pc for
$400 that lasted 5 years of gaming. Hardly more expensive than a console, especially any more. If you are buying a prefab computer, you should not be expecting to play any games on em :)

As per the actual topic. PC games are just better, as they have more modability and developers often have a more current hardware scope to work with.

The end.

Bipper

Who wants modability?:rolleyes2

And I still don't see how you've proven anything. Just saying their better because of modability isn't ANYTHING special.

I'd much rather have a COMPLETE game WELL DONE and polished and some half made game which you have to do everything for it. PCs are just 'bout graphics and how much more you can add to it:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 THAT'S NOT GAMING

Rase
07-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Quite a few people apparently, since it's so popular.

And I still don't see how you've proven anything. Just saying their better because of modability isn't ANYTHING special.Since it's much harder (if not impossible) to mod consoles, I would say that yes, it makes the games special.

I'd much rather have a COMPLETE game WELL DONE and polished and some half made game which you have to do everything for it.
How the hell does the capability to mod a game make it incomplete?

PCs are just 'bout graphics and how much more you can add to it:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 THAT'S NOT GAMING
Yeah, because consoles aren't about graphics AT ALL. :rolleyes2
Also, when was it decided that you had the alst say in what can be called "gaming"? If someone enjoys modding Half-Life 2, why do you have a problem with that?

bipper
07-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Anyway, to Trabovel:

A game like Final Fight?

funny

QFTHoI

Bipper

what graphics?

The end.

Bipper

And I still don't see how you've proven anything. Just saying their better because of modability isn't ANYTHING special.

I'd much rather have a COMPLETE game WELL DONE and polished and some half made game which you have to do everything for it. PCs are just 'bout graphics and how much more you can add to it:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 THAT'S NOT GAMING

PC games have more median to use; more muscle. I am not saying they are exclusivley better than consoles in any way... but they can be. You can use a controller, you can sit on your ass thirty feet away from you monitor. They can just do anything a console can physically do, and better.

This is not the subject - the subject is which platform gets the better games (or version thereof). I say PC. PC games are always very patchable as well, and they are just able to support more intense game play than any other manufactured system can.

Rase: IT is just too damn fun :) I can imagine you look much like your sig right now... prolly standing behind me.... :shifty:

Bipper

KentaRawr!
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
The quote pyramids are very pointy. :cry:

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
First, PLEASE stop quoting the entire chain of posts. It gets annoying having to scroll through the thing 50 times.

Deathknight, what you don't seem to understand is that PC games are moddable. That means you can change them. You can have an Unreal Tournament game on a PC and a PS2 console, but on a PC you can modify it so that all the characters are Dragon Ball Z people.

So, you can have the same game on a PC that's on a console that does the same stuff... and *more*. That's what everyone is getting at.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 08:05 PM
First, PLEASE stop quoting the entire chain of posts. It gets annoying having to scroll through the thing 50 times.

Deathknight, what you don't seem to understand is that PC games are moddable. That means you can change them. You can have an Unreal Tournament game on a PC and a PS2 console, but on a PC you can modify it so that all the characters are Dragon Ball Z people.

So, you can have the same game on a PC that's on a console that does the same stuff... and *more*. That's what everyone is getting at.

wow:rolleyes2

*hugs poll and Metal Gear and God Of War and Devil May Cry and Final Fight and Mario Party and Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy and Metroid and Mario and Luigi and Tetris*

Yay:bigbiggri

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Good god. It was an example.

All of the games you're 'hugging', save God of War, have versions playable on the PC. Hug that.
I'm trying to help you understand the PC side, despite the fact that I'm taking the console side in this poll.

Duncan
07-26-2006, 08:16 PM

And more than that, are all the user create maps. Or the TC's or total conversions for games. One of the most famous TC's for a game is Counterstrike. That mod for Half-Life because so popular that Valve snapped up the rights to it.

There are tons of interface mods for games like WOW, that make the game much more user friendly, and therefore more fun to play. Basically, the difference is that with many PC games when you are playing a game and you think, 'man I really wish I could have a button that does...' chances are someone has thought of that as well, and there is a mod that will do it.

Also one thing that hasn't been touched on is the source code releases. Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Quake II, and many other games have had their original source code released and allows for users to revamp the engines to give a new life to old games. I can play the original Doom now on my widescreen with the correct aspect ratio, and hardware acceleration and all sorts of nice lighting effects.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 08:20 PM

And more than that, are all the user create maps. Or the TC's or total conversions for games. One of the most famous TC's for a game is Counterstrike. That mod for Half-Life because so popular that Valve snapped up the rights to it.

There are tons of interface mods for games like WOW, that make the game much more user friendly, and therefore more fun to play. Basically, the difference is that with many PC games when you are playing a game and you think, 'man I really wish I could have a button that does...' chances are someone has thought of that as well, and there is a mod that will do it.

Also one thing that hasn't been touched on is the source code releases. Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Quake II, and many other games have had their original source code released and allows for users to revamp the engines to give a new life to old games. I can play the original Doom now on my widescreen with the correct aspect ratio, and hardware acceleration and all sorts of nice lighting effects.

PCs are boring, that's why consoles beat them EVERY generation. Now don't tell me that PC games sell more then console games or I'll close this thread myself :irked:

KentaRawr!
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Whether or not PC games are boring is entirely a matter of opinion. >_>

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Again, you provide no proof.

What's the player population in World of Warcraft? (Really, I wanna know.) Whatever it is, I know it is huge. That's how many people have purchased that ONE game. It's unlikely that any other games on any other system that was released around the same time as WoW (Nov. 2004) has sold as many games, not even Halo 2 (which was released a week or two beforehand).

PCs are not boring. WoW is the most played game in the WORLD. It's just your opinion, please stop acting like it's the law.

DeathKnight
07-26-2006, 08:33 PM

What's the player population in World of Warcraft? (Really, I wanna know.) Whatever it is, I know it is huge. That's how many people have purchased that ONE game. It's unlikely that any other games on any other system that was released around the same time as WoW (Nov. 2004) has sold as many games, not even Halo 2 (which was released a week or two beforehand).

PCs are not boring. WoW is the most played game in the WORLD. It's just your opinion, please stop acting like it's the law.

One game? give me a break. I want MANY games to play, not some retarted war game:rolleyes2

combined, PS2 games outsell PC games starting from 2001

bipper
07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
World of Warcraft is not a sterotypical war game. YOU TAKE TAHT BACK :whimper: :crying:

IT really does say a lot, when that many people can play this game that much.

Bipper

JKTrix
07-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Again, you provide no proof. I highly doubt that the PS2 has sold more games than the PC 'since 2001', since a lot of the PS2's heavy hitters are also available on the PC (Madden, GTA to be precise)

World of Warcraft is the most consistently played game in the world. That's an indisputable fact that even you in your bubble should be able to grasp. We are not trying to convince you to play PC games, we're trying to get you to understand that the world is bigger than Final Fantasy. Which is also on the PC.

I'll restate my point: I vote for consoles because they are standardized and everyone can play the same games with generally the same presentation. Hardware upgrades are not required to enjoy the game at the same level as other people can.
On the other hand, PCs require infrequent hardware upgrades to keep your games looking good, lest you play in a sub-standard mode.

My argument is not about the games or the variety itself.

Rase
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM
One game? give me a break. I want MANY games to play, not some retarted war game:rolleyes2
World of Warcraft is as much a "war game" as Final Fantasy XI. It's an MMORPG.

Proof (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=proof) would be a lot more believable than the word of someone who's shown he's biased. So, do you have any to back that up?

Shoeberto
07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
http://www.moddb.com

Also, DeathKnight, calm down. It's an opinion thread.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-27-2006, 04:57 AM
In my opinion console games are better than pc games because it's much more comfortable to sit on your couch or lie down on your bed playing a console game...Than it is to sit at desk hunched over playing a pc game. Also pc games have a tendency to crash MORE than console games do. By the way the part about pc games crashing isn't coming from my personal opinion it's coming from first hand experience. I just bought Neverwinter Nights a few months ago and the damn thing crashed on me about eight times already!!!:mad:

Shoeberto
07-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Consoles aren't succeptibly to bloat and malware that likes to crash games, either... but bloat and malware is the fault of the end-user, however, and the developers can't really be blamed if a person can't maintain their PC :P

Tidus Andronicus
07-27-2006, 05:36 AM
I liked the days when Console games where a place to get better control and higher graphics than u could get on PC.... but these days thats far from true.

They both have equal standing in my mind.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Well I guess it could be the pc itself but I don't know...I'm not a computer nerd.

I Took the Red Pill
07-27-2006, 06:07 AM

Would you please stop restating the same thing over and over after pro-PC posters make a point? We have stated numerous times that war games are not the only popular games for PC, and have proven that in fact, some of the most popular PC games (Civ IV, WoW, Guild Wars, The Sims series, The Movies, I could go on) are not war games. And restating it does not validate any point you are trying to make, although I fail to see a point at all.

DeathKnight
07-27-2006, 07:00 AM

Would you please stop restating the same thing over and over after pro-PC posters make a point? We have stated numerous times that war games are not the only popular games for PC, and have proven that in fact, some of the most popular PC games (Civ IV, WoW, Guild Wars, The Sims series, The Movies, I could go on) are not war games. And restating it does not validate any point you are trying to make, although I fail to see a point at all.

THis was 100 years ago:rolleyes2

And I'll just stick to the poll, end of story.

I Took the Red Pill
07-27-2006, 07:06 AM
As stated before, you're not going to get a fair poll from a site dedicated to a series of games almost exclusively for consoles. Come up with a new point if you feel like arguing it, because we've presented much more than you. You cling to the stereotype of computer games being all crappy war games, and your precious one-sided-for-an-obvious-reason poll, but it's not really that good of a point if you think about it. It really just comes down to what you like more. Some people, like you, like the easier accesibility and games unique to console, and others, like me, like the ability to mod and customize, and like the games unique to PC.

*Edited because my original post was probably too harsh.

DeathKnight
07-27-2006, 07:52 AM
As stated before, you're not going to get a fair poll from a site dedicated to a series of games almost exclusively for consoles. Come up with a new point if you feel like arguing it, because we've presented much more than you. You cling to the stereotype of computer games being all crappy war games, and your precious one-sided-for-an-obvious-reason poll, but it's not really that good of a point if you think about it. It really just comes down to what you like more. Some people, like you, like the easier accesibility and games unique to console, and others, like me, like the ability to mod and customize, and like the games unique to PC.

*Edited because my original post was probably too harsh.

Didn't I say I was done with this thing???? :nonono:

Shiny
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
They both have equal standing in my mind.
That's true, you can't mod Sims 2 on your playstation 2, but you can surely do it on your PC. As for console games, they are more popular, because there are more games available for consoles. Plus, the controls are sometimes easier for some games on console than on the PC and you don't have to take up alot of space on your computer with a PC game.

Fithos
07-28-2006, 12:27 AM
i think controls are always easier on pc. I think that because you have quick keys for everything wheras on consols you have to cycle through lists to get to commands you want. if anyone has played jedi knight jedi acadamy on both pc and xbox you probably know what im talking about. I know people like to have all the buttons at their fingertips. but i would rather have lots of keys that each do one thing as opposed to a few keys that fo lots of things.

JaytodaP
07-28-2006, 04:13 AM
In my opinion, I'm not a big fan of PC games because I dont like MMORPGs and I already have enough FPS. I like the Age of Empires/Mythology games alright but i think there are better games on consoles. Sure I guess it would be fine to mod a few games but It doesnt bother me that I cant. Plus I love a controller and a bigger screen.

Slicksword45
07-28-2006, 04:36 AM
I like both but I voted PC because I like somthing diffrent everytime I play so going online is a big + for me.