PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
My little brother got this 64 mb memory card awhile back for the ps2, and has saved weeks' worth of gameplay on it. Yesterday, he popped it in to play FFX only to find that the file was erased. He reset the playstation to look at his memory card, and it was BLANK!!!! Totally and completely BLANK.

Any ideas to how this might have happened?

I Took the Red Pill
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Did you get the OPM demo disc from a while back that had Viewtiful Joe 2 on it?

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh, I remember that, no we don't have it. The last game he played was FFX and it was fine, and then he went to play again and it was all gone.

Shoeberto
07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
If it wasn't a Sony brand memory card, well, that's part of the problem. Sony has their Magic Gate protection thinger, which is a proprietary hardware interface thing. Something. Basically it means that only Sony memory cards are "guaranteed" to work. Other ones are either going to have decent to non-existent performance. Generally the reason you see no off-brand PS2 cards is for that reason.

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
...crap...mine is the same brand!!!

Roto13
07-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Never ever use 3rd party memory cards for anything ever.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
happened to me like 5 times, always cuase of the reseted playstation

Polnareff
07-24-2006, 09:47 PM
That's weird, I have a third-party memory card from Kemco, and it has MagicGate protection on it. Only two files on it have ever become corrupted, and I've had the thing for about 4 years now.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
The first time I saved in Final Fantasy VII it displayed my memory card as being completely empty, yet stuff was still on it. Strange

Reine
07-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Ive neer had any trouble with the two unofficial PS1 memory cards I have, but I hear many stories about the added space cards, so in general, stick to the default size, as ive heard nothing but crap about the enlarged size cards

farplaner
07-25-2006, 03:33 AM
That's weird, I have a third-party memory card from Kemco, and it has MagicGate protection on it. Only two files on it have ever become corrupted, and I've had the thing for about 4 years now.

Yeah, mine is from Nyko (looks like a bumblebee). I've had it as long as the PS2, and I've never had any problems with it.

Jesse: I assume sabotage has been ruled out? :eek:

Vermachtnis
07-25-2006, 03:56 AM
The wierdest thing with my memory card is this two side memory card for the first playstation. My Digimon World 2 data just disapeared. It's still on my memory card, put just no actuall play data. If anyone's played that game, y'all know what a chore it is.

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
hmmm....is there any solution besides getting a new one?
Our cards say MAX memory, but mine is newer, so I'm hoping they've done something??? Anyway, I'm keeping backups on the sony card, but it's my brothers and he can be stingy so it may get "mysteriously deleted" for no reason.