PDA

View Full Version : Necromancy sucks

Ouch!
07-25-2006, 05:25 AM
So, what's the oldest bumped thread you've ever seen? I just noticed one that was just shy of three years old (check the FFIV forum).

I've got a couple of other questions too:
1. How the heck do people find these threads? I can understand it if the thread is still on the first page, but three years old? How the heck does that work out.

2. How is it that people will continue the conversation as if nothing was out of the norm after a thread has been bumped months or, in some cases, years after said conversation ended.

3. Why do threads that are three years old still exist in the first place?

Edit: Five bucks says someone is a smartass and makes a comment about plans to revive this thread.

G SpOtZ
07-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Who's gonna give you the 5 bucks if that happens?

Sylvie
07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
They find the threads through the search engine, probably.

Fonzie
07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Well i guess you ow me 5 bucks. Boy i love me some deer meat.:love:

Xaven
07-25-2006, 05:35 AM
Necromanced threads are usually wierd. And yes, I'd assume people find these threads with the search function.

Roto13
07-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Or by looking at someone's posting history.

Why doesn't anyone call it "threadcromancy"? D:

NorthernChaosGod
07-25-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't see what's the big deal with it. Yeah, it can get annoying if someone bumps a thread with something stupid like "Lol" or something equally as worthless. But what if they have something genuine to contribute to the thread? This is the only forum that I have been to that doesn't allow bumping of any kind. I feel that as long as a significant contribution has been made to a thread than there shouldn't be anything wrong with bumping it.

KentaRawr!
07-25-2006, 05:50 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=32906&page=2

I don't blame 'em. The thread rocked.

But I don't really find it annoying. The only part of it that can be annoying is how they break the rules in such a weird way. o_o

rubah
07-25-2006, 05:52 AM
You must not get out much, Characters. Not bumping old posts has been standard forum rules at all the forums I've been at.

By the time that someone replies, no one cares, they've moved on, the argument has been forgotten, and really it's just as wise to make a new thread, reference the old one if necessary, etc.

It's just really dumb that people spend their days reading back days and days. Sure, when you're new, you read finding all these interesting topics and people and ideas,a dn you want to add to them, but it's just irritating for people to think 'man, this gives me a strange sense of deja vu' and then look at the post dates and realize 'ZOMG this was five months ago!'

KentaRawr!
07-25-2006, 05:55 AM
You must get out much, Characters. Not bumping old posts has been standard forum rules at all the forums I've been at.

Fix'd. :)

Leeza
07-25-2006, 06:01 AM
1. How the heck do people find these threads? I can understand it if the thread is still on the first page, but three years old? How the heck does that work out.

Some people have the postdates turned off so they don't realize how old a thread might be, especially if they do a search or look in Who's Online.

2. How is it that people will continue the conversation as if nothing was out of the norm after a thread has been bumped months or, in some cases, years after said conversation ended.

Some (most) people never look at postdates and just post.

For reference, reading entertainment, etc., etc.

Ouch!
07-25-2006, 06:15 AM

For reference, reading entertainment, etc., etc.
Isn't that last bit what the archives are for?

Zeromus_X
07-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Maybe they don't read the thread dates, like was said. Not the end of the world.

If they have something to contribute to the topic, then there really isn't anything wrong with it; unless the topic is over.

Leeza
07-25-2006, 07:10 AM
As rubah has said in her post, it's best to start a new thread on the subject if the thread is old. Some of those people that have posted are more than likely not around anymore so it's not really contributing to a topic for discussion if those people aren't there to discuss it. It's time for new perspectives from new people. Old threads on the topic are better used as reference to the new topic if someone thinks it might be necessary.

Christmas
07-25-2006, 07:30 AM
This remind me of LITTLE MANUS' newbie thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=44229).

Sefie1999AD
07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
From what I've seen, many of those who revive dead threads that have been dead for years are new users who have been searching for some thread or posts by some user, and then they don't check the date when they decide to post there. Seeing Old Manus' introduction thread bumped after 1½ years was quite funny, though.

EDIT: I feel sorry for the mop. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=68168)

Psydekick
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I remember i accidentally bumped one i site staff once when i used to waste my time thinking the staff would actually consider any of my work But it was still on the first page and pinned so isent that a bit stupid?

Reine
07-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I dont think ive ever bumped a realy old thread here. Ive had threads of mine from my newbie days bumped, and I was like "WTF? Why are people posting in those threads?"

The oldest ive bumped was on page two of general chat (a few days old)

Drift
07-25-2006, 09:53 AM
alchemy > necromany :p

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I find necroposts to be wonderful. They never cease to completely amaze me.

Rase
07-25-2006, 06:46 PM
After seeing all these freashly-risen threads, I'm super-paranoid about posting in one by accident. :(

Tasura
07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
The oldest Ive seen bumped is like 3 or 4 years, I generally dont look past the first page of threads, so generally i dont post in anyhting over a few days old.

Psydekick
07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
i actually like looking at old threads and seeing all the old members that used to post, most of which are banned or Former Staff

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
i actually like looking at old threads and seeing all the old members that used to post, most of which are banned or Former StaffWell yes, me too, but that doesn't really suggest you should post in it.

Psydekick
07-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I dont post in them, mainly because i view the funny ones that are closed:cool:

Venom
07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
i actually like looking at old threads and seeing all the old members that used to post, most of which are banned or Former Staff

Yeah same here.

NorthernChaosGod
07-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Characters.
Well that's a new one.

You must get out much, Characters. Not bumping old posts has been standard forum rules at all the forums I've been at.

Fix'd. :)
Haha, thanks. :cool:

But yeah, I shall reiterate. The ONLY time that thread bumping has ever been looked down upon, that I have seen, is when the bump is a useless post with nothing to contribute.

Psydekick
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
I dont see why necromancy sucks though Ouch!

Christmas
01-10-2023, 11:50 AM
The irony of this thread. :bigsmile:

Psychotic
01-14-2023, 08:50 AM
Calm down there Alanis.

Quindiana Jones
01-26-2023, 03:57 PM
I like to go to the last page of GC and see what's what.

It's mostly tech support threads.