PDA

View Full Version : What type of controller is best for FPS's?

KentaRawr!
07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
I don't like First Person Shooters much, but I thought of how so many people wish they could play MP:H with a mouse rather than the touch screen, which confused me, as I absolutely adore the controls for MP:H (Even though the game was rather... unsavory).

What type of Controller do you find most suitable for FPS's? Out of the few FPS's I have played, I prefer Metroid Prime: Hunters controls over the other 2 I have played, those being Halo (PC Version) and some random Demo of a game for the Ps2.

:choc2:

Roto13
07-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Actually, I have very high hopes for the Wii controller when it comes to shooters. I also liked the Nintendo 64 controller, back in the day. Z-trigger button ftw.

Rase
07-25-2006, 06:09 AM
For me, it's easily the keyboard/mouse combo. I almost always have trouble getting accurate shots off using a joystick, while the mouse provides me with some much-easier aiming, which leads to a less-frustrated gamer.

However, the Wii controller looks like it may change all of this.

Samuraid
07-25-2006, 07:07 AM
The poll was missing the mouse/keyboard combo, which is by far the best FPS control surface around. :)

Meat Puppet
07-25-2006, 07:20 AM
My personal favorite is the dual-N64 controller.

Kirobaito
07-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Having been subjected only to Perfect Dark/Goldeneye for the n64, Halo for the XBox, and Rainbow Six for the PC, I'd say the n64 controller.

Dreddz
07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Mouse and Key is the way to go, I only play FPS's on my PC.

Madame Adequate
07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Mouse and keyboard are by far the best. Even the best-executed controller controls (Such as Halo and Timesplitters) fall show of the inherent awesomeness of a mouse and keyboard.

Nominus Experse
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
The mouse/keyboard combination, there just doesn't seem to be any perfect substitute for such a godly combination.

Cz
07-25-2006, 12:52 PM
The mouse/keyboard combo is clearly the only way to go. It gives player precise control over the aim of their weapon, and allows for all manner of functions to be available at the press of a button.

edczxcvbnm
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
I play FPS on the PC but I still prefer a dual analog controller.

drunkymonkey
07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
In order to accurately answer this question, you need to consider that in this whole thing between PC gamers and Xbox360 gamers playing together, there's a FPS coming out which I can't remember the name of (Let's call it UT clone for argument's sake), and when a member of PC Zone pointed out to the developers that because the PC allows for more precision thanks to the keyboard, the PC gamers would have a bigger advantage. Not so, apparently, because they're loosening out the mouse movement.

That tells you all you need to know.

Mouse+Keyboard FTW.

Reine
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Ive never been able to play FPS games with a mouse and keyboard.

I usually kick ass with a controller though

JKTrix
07-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Console games have a fair amount of auto-aim, because you really can't be as precise with dual analogs as you could with a mouse. Mouse/Keyboard is by far the best overall, but Xbox/360 style controls would be the best gamepad choice, with the triggers.

Still, I vote for Lightguns
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/orange.jpg (yeah, that's me.)

Wiimote should be interesting.

XxSephirothxX
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
For me, nothing really compares to the 360 controller. It's way better than any other controller out there for shooters, and I prefer it to a mouse/keyboard. Then again, I'd prefer just about anything to a mouse/keyboard.:p

ljkkjlcm9
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
currently mouse and keyboard... soon enough... the Wii

THE JACKEL

KentaRawr!
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
The poll was missing the mouse/keyboard combo, which is by far the best FPS control surface around. :)

Well that's really what I meant by "Mouse Type". o.o Since I'm not really into FPS's, I didn't quite know the name. n_n; But I do thank you for adding Mouse and Keyboard combo, since "Mouse Type" isn't a very well suited name to a Mouse and Keyboard combo.

Spammerman
07-26-2006, 04:13 AM
i prefered mouse style when i had a laser mouse equipped(now i have a ball mouse.) now i like dual analog. and nintendo 64. the 64 rocked

Sylvie
07-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Mouse and Keyboard, FTW.

Mirage
07-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Mouse and keyboard for the smurfing win. Mouse alone is awful, so is keyboard alone. I tried playing with my touchpad once. I died.

Yamaneko
07-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Mouse and keyboard hands down. There's really no competition and I have a feeling the Wiimote won't offer anything close to the percision of the mouse and keyboard in FPS.

crono_logical
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Mouse and Keyboard :D

Skyblade
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Metroid Prime/Prime II's scheme. Analog movement, toggle for free aim, and lock on ability. The only FPS controls that I've ever liked.

KoShiatar
07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
I've played Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS, but the stylus controls seem rather clumsy to me when it's time to jump or move fast. I'll go with mouse and keyboard.

Slothy
07-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Mouse & keyboard. Everything else is just slow and clumsy, and I don't see the Wii changing that much. A mouse translates my movement into corresponding movement of my aim on screen. The Wii does this as well, though I can imagine turning quickly will be problematic. Heck, the team behind Red Steel already said you can't turn as fast as with a mouse, but I won't deny the Wii will be a big improvement over analog sticks. The speed and accuracy of a mouse is unparalleled though which is a large part of why I've all but given up on console FPS games. They tend to be slow and plodding to make up for the inferior control scheme.

I will say though, that the Dual Shock is by far the best console controller for an FPS in my opinion. The four shoulder buttons mean you don't have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks very often. A big problem I have when I do play Halo is that I essentially have to stop aiming for a fraction of a second to use the melee attack, and that fraction of a second has made the difference between a rifle butt to the side of my friends head, or a shotgun shell in my face.