PDA

View Full Version : what is the meaning of your name

Dark Angel From Heaven
07-25-2006, 09:11 PM
what is the meaning of your name?

My names christopher

Christopher is the name that corresponds to the Greek name/word Christophoros. The latter consists of words for 'Christ' and "to bear" (pherein). It was popular with early Christians who believed they "carried" Christ in their hearts. The name also became associated with the apocryphal story of a giant who physically carried the Christ-child across a river. See Saint Christopher. The truncations Chris, Christo, Christoph, and Christy are also used as names. Nicknames derived from Christopher include Chris, Pher (pronounced Fur), Kit, Kester and Topher, Toph (mostly New English), and Pher Pher (pronounced Fur Fur).

DeathKnight
07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
names shouldn't have meanings.

You should shape and give meaning to your name.

When people see you and call you "Christopher!" they know "Christopher" based on the things you do and how you've shaped that name.

Nominus Experse
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM

When people see you and call you "Christopher!" they know "Christopher" based on the things you do and how you've shaped that name.

Well said, Death Knight, and as such, I full heartedly agree with you.

However, for the sake of the thread, my name means prudent.

Dark Angel From Heaven
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM

hmmm good point...

Psydekick
07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
My name ment something like true and faithful

Lost Number
07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
In irish, im Niall O'Bradain. So that Niall, from Niadh, meaning Champion. And its O'Bradain, of the the salmon. Champion of the Salmon. You COULD equate that with the salmon of knowledge in legend. I much prefer Lost Number, which means, "Some name made up to make me sound cool on a FF-related forums"

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
My name is Josephine and it has variations:
Feminine:
Jo
Josi
Josie
Josepha
Josephine
Fina
Fine
Josephin
Fifi
Finine
Finetta
Finette
Guisseppina
Josefine
Josefina
Josephina
Josianne
Josina

Masculine:
Joseph
Jose
Joe

My name is a French name and it has a lot of meanings that deal about France.
1. wife of Napoleon
2. an empress of France
3. a French army officer
4. wife of Alexandre de Beauharnais

My name in Hebrew means "The Lord Increases"

I like France.:):kaocheer:

feona17
07-25-2006, 10:24 PM
My name is Feona, which is the same thing as Fiona just spelled differently.

However, it was actually the invention of the 18th-century Scottish author, James MacPherson. He coined this name as a feminine form of the legendary name Fionn. To do this, he stuck the common Latinate ending -a onto the name Fionn, and dropped one "n". In Gaelic, unlike Latin (and other European languages), names do not become feminine simply by adding "a." In fact, there were already in existence a few feminine forms of Fionn: Fionnseach, Fionnait and Fionnacht. Coincidentally, the word fiona, pronounced FEE uh na, is the modern Scottish Gaelic word for "wine" (coming from the Latin vineus, meaning "vine") Fiona became popular in Scotland and England in the late 19th century as a result of the author William Sharpe using the pen name Fiona MacLeod.

So basically, my name means white and fair, and also a vine.
http://www.namenerds.com/irish/modern.html

SammieBabe
07-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Samantha means "listener" or "told by God" ...

Hambone
07-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Jonathan means "god gives" God gives what? :(

Levian
07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
My name has no meaning. Just like me. :D

Shauna
07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Mine means something like 'Gift of God'. :)

oddler
07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Jeff means "gift of peace" or "peacekeeper" which holds strangely true to the way I act.:up:

Dignified Pauper
07-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Michael - "Who is like God?"

Moon Rabbits
07-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Kelly means warrior and is rooted in Gaelic or something like that. I can't remember.

Fonzie
07-26-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm a Nobleman, or whatever the hell that means?

Mum
07-26-2006, 02:37 AM
My name is Judith and I often go by the name of Jude, and (get this, ha-ha) St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes!! Bl**dy typical!

As for my email name - bancsia - it is another spelling for banksia which is an Australian plant which bursts into flower the best after comnig through a fire. This is in keeping with the pheonix I have tattooed on my body which is a thing of beauty to rise from the ashes. Both these illustrate my life.

Reine
07-26-2006, 02:37 AM
My name means Ragnarok, "the Doom of the Gods"

:cool:

Miss_Lulu
07-26-2006, 02:40 AM
My name is Rachael and it means "Innocent Lamb" In Hebrew.

But most people call me Rae which means "doe"

So I'm like innocent. But a female deer. ;)

Christmas
07-26-2006, 06:11 AM
^________________^ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas)

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
07-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Elijah - a prophet of peace...if that means talkative well im down with the meaning of that

my other name which i use around family and close friends...hmm....its got to do with when i was concieved and a revolution that occured at the time of my birth but yeah thats that:)

Flea
07-26-2006, 07:53 AM
The name Sandra is Greek and means Helper Of Humanity.

BardTard
07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
My name which I totally hate means "herb." No, I don't smoke weed. I like flowers? Yes! It ALSO means "rational." I am rational. Usually.

Laugh at face of Danger
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
my real name means Holy Wisdom in Greek, now go and find out my name

it's Sophie! great use of initiative there ¬_¬

Gullick
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
mines Benjamin (bloody hate tha name...sounds way to nerdy) oh and it means son of the right hand =)

-Gull-

Aralith
07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
My name (Daniel) is of Hebrew origins and means "God is My Judge".

Loony BoB
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
My name (Daniel) is of Hebrew origins and means "God is My Judge".
Ditto.

Captain VooDoo
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
my name is ciara (kee-a-ra) and i think it means black.

"Feminine form of CIARAN (derived from ciar which means black). Saint Ciara was an Irish nun who established a monastery at Kilkeary in the 7th century." thats were its from.

Madame Adequate
07-26-2006, 02:35 PM
My name, Huxley, means "Hugh's meadow" and is of Old English origins.

Zeldy
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
My name, Amy, is French for 'beloved'

Medi
07-26-2006, 04:27 PM
John - God gave
Stephen - Crown
Herzog - Duke

Interesting how I have "crown" and "duke."

bipper
07-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Michael - "Who is like God?"
John: God gave - God given
Meyer: German for Farmer or hebrew for king....

LunarWeaver
07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Kyle is a "strait or a narrow", and my middle name is "little and dark" and my last name is "red" or rusty-colored or something. So I'm a narrow that's little and dark and also red. Basically a vagina on its period.