PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mad about this?

hplvr
07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
okay....i played the demo for FF12 demo, and when i played it i was getting mad cuz its not like any other ff game, you dont go into like a battlescreen and all that like all the other ff games....... i was pretty mad when I found out
anyone mad at this.....?

UltimateSpamGrover
07-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Its not the first FF to feature that. Its not in FFXI either.

Medi
07-28-2006, 02:27 AM
I like it, reminds me of Chrono Trigger. This mode is much better than the trite system used in the predecessors. IMO

hplvr
07-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Its not the first FF to feature that. Its not in FFXI either.
well i plan on getting FF11, but darn i hate that lol
and i liked the other one better tho.....

Angelroo
07-28-2006, 03:22 AM
I disliked random battles, so I guess it's not too much of a problem for me. Apparently if you turn off gambits, it plays like any othe FF, except that you move around. You really liked random battles, huh?

Crossblades
07-28-2006, 03:23 AM
I don't mind the new battle system. I already got used to it in FF XI

hplvr
07-28-2006, 03:30 AM
ya i reallllly like random battles lol

LunarWeaver
07-28-2006, 04:06 AM
You're still waiting for bars to fill up and you're still issuing commands... But now you don't have to battle crash and stand in one spot to do it. It's the same thing with ancient annoyances out of the way.

Do people really love waiting for battles to load and standing in a line that much.

Slothy
07-28-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure why I would be mad about the first major change (re: breath of fresh air) to the single player FF battle system since ATB.

atlanteay
07-28-2006, 06:31 PM
i'm glad they took out random encounters and lining up to fight monsters. So i can't wait for this game.

Topcat
07-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Some people don't like change.

I'm however not too fused, i'm used to the whole radom encounters and do enjoy it but i think it's good that square-enix have mixed it up a little, FF would get boring if it didn't change it's ideas.

Dreddz
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I love my turn based action, but I'd hate FF to be critised due to it being same old same old, a series as great as FF needs to change to keep it being a great series.

hplvr
07-29-2006, 12:03 AM
You're still waiting for bars to fill up and you're still issuing commands... But now you don't have to battle crash and stand in one spot to do it. It's the same thing with ancient annoyances out of the way.

Do people really love waiting for battles to load and standing in a line that much.
well..... in X-2 it does the go to into radndom encounters, but the girls are definatly not in a line they are all over the place lol

LunarWeaver
07-29-2006, 12:51 AM

well..... in X-2 it does the go to into radndom encounters, but the girls are definatly not in a line they are all over the place lol

I'm not rendered speechless, but for the sake of not being banned I will be.

Jessweeee♪
07-29-2006, 01:11 AM
really? so the monsters are just on the field and you just go and fight them without going to a new screen?
That I like the sound of. After running into 80 monsters in FFVII i get antsy waiting for the screen to come up.

feona17
07-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by feona17

Yeah... I don't understand why some of you are so afraid of change, especially with this series. It's BOUND to happen. It's impossible for it not to change. SE is changing, their staff is changing, their ideas are changing, their games are changing. Life is changing. Just cruise along with it, and no worries. You miss the old FF? Play it again.

Anyway to continue on that, it'll be nice to change up the battle system once in a while. You'll get used to it.

Omni-Odin
07-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Don't you think people in Japan probably said the same thing. Now look at the game, weeling over two million copies and getting video game awards left and right? The game looks good and, from what I hear, has a pretty damn good story. If you like it, you like, if you don't....well.....you don't. Just because its a Final Fantasy game doesn't mean you have to like it. One bad game isn't a detriment to the series.

Sorry for any spelling errors.

Sylvie
07-29-2006, 08:28 PM
I loved the random encounters, but this is a fun battle system. Like in XI.

Laugh at face of Danger
07-29-2006, 09:15 PM
It makes me sad, i loved the atb system where you had to wait for no real reason while you just stood there, characetrs staring at the bars going "why on earth can't i attack of my own free will? why does this bar control me?"

And i liked turn based attacks too, this one looks to be a bit awkward on the handling side, then again it's like getting used to materia, GFs and all that what-not.

licence
07-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Ummm hat exactly is the new battle system? Is it a sort of Grandia-esque style?

feona17
07-30-2006, 02:04 AM
It's not random battles anymore basically, you can see the fiends beforehand and attack them. I'm not sure if they can ambush you, but yeah.

Silent Warrior
07-30-2006, 05:20 AM
With my reasonably long experience with Infinity-powered games and NWN (and Summoner), I'm cool with this change. I'll wait until I've actually played it before I say that I love it.

Nominus Experse
07-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, Final Fantasy enjoys shifting and changing, and really, we ought to accept that. It adds a level of novelty and excitement in some ways. Imagine if we were still dungeon crawling with a magic system like FFI? We would become bored with the game because the game wouldn't feel new. It'd just the same game with a different story this time around.

And really, learning, and eventually mastering the new system causes me to have a sense of success, as if I had achieved some sort of goal or objective. It's interesting, it's new, and really, it's never that dificult to adapt. Truly, it only takes around two or so hours of gameplay to learn any system proficiently, if that.

Zeromus_X
07-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Final Fantasy is known for being experimental and trying different things, Sakaguchi has even said he enjoys that aspect of the series. And you haven't even played the game yet (yay, a demo), and you want to disown the game for a minor thing like that? *adds in LunarWeaver's post*

Anyway, if you want ATB, play FFXIII when it comes out. Or, goodness, play the older FFs again.

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 12:28 AM
I think the battlesystem in FFXII is great for the series. The battlesystem has been constantly evolving since the beginning; from FFI to FFVI, from FFVII to FFX, etc. This is just the next step in the evolution of FF's battlesytem. To tell you the truth, I actually perfer real-time over turn-based, though, it will be weird at first to play a real-time FF game, but it'll grow on me I'm sure.

boys from the dwarf
08-01-2006, 08:47 PM
as much as i like the ATB systems and random battles i dont mind much about the change. its still sort of the same and it wont change to whole "FF feel" of things. the best part of the FFs was never the battles. its was the storylines and characters and interesting things as well as good gameplay. no one seemed to complain about ATB when it was first introduced to FF (as far as i know.) and in FFX how you can changes characters in battle whenever you want and there is no ATB. and in FFX-2 you can time attacks to stop enemies and cause critical hits. none of these seem as big changes as this but they are still pretty big changes. there is black magic, white magic and summoning E.C.T. FFX-2 was the start of square developing and getting new ideas for the battle system and i cant call that a bad thing. as far as i can tell the main difference is there not being a battle screen. you can move characters around and stuff but its still similar. once everyone plays it im sure most of you will realize that its still a lot like the old systems.

Bolivar
08-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I saw how in Kingdom Hearts the enemies can appear on a screen in a battle formation. I thought that would be really cool for FF, basically it can be the same battle system, except your characters can move (hopefully).

the only aspect I don't like is the Gambit system. FF isn't about controlling 1 character while having 2 AI's follow you around. I hope I can slow down the speed or something so I can select each character's action when their ATB is filled.

Dynast-Kid
08-11-2006, 03:50 AM
You can switch characters at any time during battle.

The Knights of the Round
08-11-2006, 05:12 AM
i said this already on another post, but square enix needs to change things up eventually to instead of keeping it the same as always. if it was kept the same it would start to loose interest. (id still personaly play if it stayed the same, but with new characters and stories, but change is sometimes good)..

Demisin'
08-14-2006, 09:39 AM
IMO, I think that its great for Square to change the batttle system.I kinda like the random battles, but it got kinda annoying for a while. Overall, FFXII looks like a great game and I can't wait till it comes out.

Dell
09-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I saw how in Kingdom Hearts the enemies can appear on a screen in a battle formation. I thought that would be really cool for FF, basically it can be the same battle system, except your characters can move (hopefully).

the only aspect I don't like is the Gambit system. FF isn't about controlling 1 character while having 2 AI's follow you around. I hope I can slow down the speed or something so I can select each character's action when their ATB is filled.

You can choose to not use the Gambit System. But the character will do nothing, they'll just see you die.

Also, when you choose command, the enemy, your party and the ATB will stop until after you confirm your command.

Madame Adequate
09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I was a bit dubious when I first heard of it, but everything I have seen since then suggests that it is a change that has brought many new things to FF. Honestly, I've not been this excited about a game for some years now.

bipper
09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I hate the new system. kefka style.

Madame Adequate
09-05-2006, 05:41 PM
You can GOE away. And reserve judgement until you play the thing. xD

Vivisteiner
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Its an Active Dimension Battle (ADB). There are no random encounters, but you select your moves from the menu which you bring up by pressing O I think. There is a wait mode and an active mode. with the wait mode, the enemies freeze as you select your move from a menu. In active mode, they carry on moving as you choose your move. You can move the lead character manually and choose his/her moves exactly. A key part of FFXII is the gambit system which can be turned on and off. If you use gambits, the characters AIs will automatically use some moves based on the situation. E.g. you can get the characters to automatically cast cura on a person who has less than 20% health. Or get a character to automatically cast fire against ice monsters. This saves precious time and allows you to fight faster, and focus on other parts of battling. The U.S demo did not have the gambit system in it. The reviews mostly say that the most enjoyable thing about the battles is the gambit system.

Some reviews can be seen here.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyxii?q=Final%20Fantasy%20XII

Sephiroths Clone
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Cant really be mad as its what they said it was going to be for the longest time. It was exactly what id expect it to be. And personally i think its a great new system, battles will be a lot more difficult now.

bipper
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM

lol, I have played the demo. Not likey demo. I GOED before you KNOED!!

Nifleheim7
09-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I can't wait for the new battle system!!!I haven't played XI so it will all be new to me.From what i've read and seen about this game i'm almost sure it will be one of the most controversial FF games ever.
I also liked random battles but change is good.
And as someone else already said the most important thing in a FF game is not the battles but the storyline and characters!

Vivisteiner
09-05-2006, 09:45 PM

lol, I have played the demo. Not likey demo. I GOED before you KNOED!!

^^But the best bit about the battle system, the gambit system, was not in the demo.

Dynast-Kid
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I've already devoted the next few years of my life to this game so,i'm not mad at it at all...