PDA

View Full Version : Allright all, a little problem...=/

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Before you go and spazz out about how this questioned has been asked a million times or did I read the stickied topics, I did read them and I didnt find the answer so I have come to you all. I finall got a rom for this game, and it is for the computer. Now then I try and start the game yet it tells me I have to insert the disc...? I think there is something I am supposed to do but I don't know what that is. If anyone could help that would be kickass. Thanks.

Cookie
07-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Sorry.... i'm useless

Meat Puppet
07-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Does the game come in three ROMs?

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Does the ROM come in three parts?

The rom itself was all together in a .zip file. It is for the computer and it said to extract onto my root directory (my c drive right?) So I did so and these are the files that I have to choose from. FF7.exe, FF7config, FF7(registryfiles). If that is what you are talking about then yes it came in three files. If not... no...

Meat Puppet
07-28-2006, 05:16 AM
Ah. I was thinking you had downloaded the PSX ROM for computer.
I think you're going to need to try a no-cd crack for it, then. The best link I can give you is google.com (http://www.google.com), I'm afraid.

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 05:19 AM
hrmm...well I just found the directions for the file...it says to change the label of my drive but It doesnt let me change the drive...maybe im not understanding it correctly. Here is what it says.

1. Uncompress the whole stuff into to your ROOT directory.
2. Add ff7.reg to the registry (double click/yes).
3. Change the label of your drive to "ff7disc1", "ff7disc2" or "ff7disc3", whichever disc you're playing on.
4. Run Ff7config.exe and configure. (adding ff7.reg again resets these settings)
5. Run Ff7.exe and enjoy the greatest game ever made!

Meat Puppet
07-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Hmm. So it must be fooling the game into thinking the CD is actually in the drive. I guess you could give this a try...

(Note not to include the quotation marks, unless instructed otherwise)

Click Start and select Run. Type "regedit" and click okay. When the registry editor opens, navigate to:

<tt>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\</tt><tt>Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer</tt>

Right-click on the "Explorer" subkey (it should have a folder icon) and select New>Key. Name the new key "DriveIcons". Right-click on the "DriveIcons" subkey, and select New>Key. Name this new key the drive letter of the drive you want to label. The drive letter you want should be that of your CD-Drive. "D", "E", whatever the case may be. Right-click on this new key and select New>Key. Name this "DefaultLabel". Now under the "DefaultLabel" key, look for a (default) icon. Right-click it and select "Modify". For the value data enter "ff7disc1", "ff7disc2" or "ff7disc3". Click okay and close regedit.

It should take immediate effect; however, if nothing happens you may need to restart.

There may be easier ways of doing this. I think there are programs that can do it for you. This is the only way I know how to do it.

Also, you might need to remove the CD from the drive (if there is a CD in the drive).

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 06:00 AM
wow that looks like it will really work...only problem is that when i do the very first thing you tell me it tells me that regedit is not a valid win32 program. Does that mean I need to download win32? or something...I am sorry for all the questions...:cry:

Meat Puppet
07-28-2006, 06:05 AM
What OS are you running?

You could try "regedit.exe", or going into the Windows folder C:\WINNT (that's the name on Windows 2000, I'm not sure what yours is) and locating "regedit.exe" and running it from there.

Another thing you could try—if it's only the labels that are concerned—is burning 3 blank CDs and labelling them ff7disc1, ff7disc2 and ff7disc3. Just some crazy idea I had. I'm not entirely sure if that would work, though, and it's kind of a waste of a CD unless you're burning something else to it. That's assuming, of course, that you have a CD writer or some sort.

Otherwise you could give the regedit thing a try again.

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok I did almost exactly as you said. With the long name file I had to use current config because on the one you told me it didnt have what you said to go to and this one did. If that totally screws everything up disregard what im about to say. I finished doing all the folders and what not and now i was trying to open the game and it didnt work. so i figured i would have to extract it in the folder I just made...but I cant find said folder... it wont let me get to it...help? >_<

Meat Puppet
07-28-2006, 06:47 AM
EDIT: Oh, XP. This might take a while. I'll take this to private messages.

EDIT2: I tried the label trick for getting FFVII to run without a CD and it didn't work; looks like there'll have to be another way found.

L mystic L
07-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Im running windows xp and I see what happened when I first tried following your instructions...apperently the computer has a typo on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

instead of clicking microsoft i clicked mirosoft. Unfortently at the time I didnt realize what i did, now I see my problem. I am now putting in new keys, there is a drivesubkey already made, I am going to continue following the directions you posted and if something goes amiss I will post again. Thanks for all the help.

EDIT: I did everything you said now word for word...now should I extract the game again in the folder and if so how do I get there. If not, the game still isnt working so I will restart shortly.